• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

Asd202

Any news on how Tales of Xillia 2 did?
Edit:
Just saw it. Wouldn't be surprised if after Zestiria tales would be dead in the west again.

I second this. If Titanfall didn't do it, almost nothing will until Halo 5.

This is such an asinine comparison. You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion, but don't base it off this. There are better arguments for the PS4 "winning" November than that.

Refer to this post:

Thats what people said about Titanfall month.

You're not seriously comparing Titanfall to Halo, are you? It wouldn't even be close to a fair comparison, even if we were talking about Gears of War. I'm not saying that a remake collection like Halo MCC will necessarily push them ahead in November NPDs, but comparing a brand with the strength of Halo to a new ip that didn't set the world on fire in terms of user reviews or even critic's reviews is hilarious. Also, you do realize that CoD bundle seems to be selling VERY well and the White XB1 bundle releases on Oct. 28th.

Toki767

You're not seriously comparing Titanfall to Halo, are you? It wouldn't even be close to a fair comparison, even if we were talking about Gears of War. I'm not saying that a remake collection like Halo MCC will necessarily push them ahead in November NPDs, but comparing a brand with the strength of Halo to a new ip that didn't set the world on fire in terms of user reviews or even critic's reviews is hilarious. Also, you do realize that CoD bundle seems to be selling VERY well and the White XB1 bundle releases on Oct. 28th.

I'm not saying the COD bundle won't sell some systems, but it's $500. We've been through the whole price thing already.

DBT85

Of course your entitled to your own opinion. Personally, just as I have stated earlier in the thread, I have not predicted which console will "win" in November due to the large amount of factors in play, but all anyone can do right now is speculate until the NPDs come out. Regardless, I think that the November NPD thread will be very interesting no matter how it turns out.

People have been looking forward to "interesting" NPD numbers for 10 months. In reality it's been fairly uninteresting.

Rocky

Banned
Wasn't specified but judging by the history of that type of information dissemination, it's almost certainly retail standalone only

I thought Nintendo counts bundled software in their numbers. Didn't they do that with the Wii and Wii Sports and NES and SMB?

I'm not saying the COD bundle won't sell some systems, but it's $500. We've been through the whole price thing already.

I'm not looking to get back into this discussion at this point man. Refer to my post history if you want more info on why the price tag won't be as limiting as some would think. Also, CoD is not the only thing that will sell systems there are many other factors in play(that I've detailed earlier in case you are new to the thread). It's not the sheer dominance of the CoD bundle, it's the combination of everything.

People have been looking forward to "interesting" NPD numbers for 10 months. In reality it's been fairly uninteresting.

At this point the most interesting thing about NPD each month is the fever dream posts that show up every round to forecast why it will be interesting next time.

What a generalization that is. I personally never thought it would be interesting perhaps other than the Titanfall month and I still thought that was iffy.

I think many were misguided in the assessment that every month will be interesting. The truth is the PS4 is a more powerful console than the XB1 and so far nearly every notable game on current gen has been multiplatform. Those games can be played in a "superior" fashion on PS4 usually. Why would the XB1 magically outsell the PS4 when there hasn't been a game in months on it that hasn't played better on the more popular system?

November easily has the most reason/factors since the console has been out. I haven't made my decision on what will occur in that month, but comparing it to any other month is silly.

But hey I'm sure you'll come up with a witty response about how this is just another thing on the checklist, right?

Toki767

November is definitely Microsoft's best chance for the year. I think it's interesting that Microsoft's bundle strategies are all pretty much public whereas we still have no real idea what Sony will be doing if they will even be doing a bundle. Maybe the Destiny bundle will carry them all the way through the holidays, but it certainly makes sense to do one or two more bundles. The standard Black Friday bundle and whatever holiday bundle they come up with.

Mario007

November is definitely Microsoft's best chance for the year. I think it's interesting that Microsoft's bundle strategies are all pretty much public whereas we still have no real idea what Sony will be doing if they will even be doing a bundle. Maybe the Destiny bundle will carry them all the way through the holidays, but it certainly makes sense to do one or two more bundles. The standard Black Friday bundle and whatever holiday bundle they come up with.

You can definitely expect GTAV and Far Cry bundles, along with LBP3 and Driveclub.

What a generalization that is. I personally never thought it would be interesting perhaps other than the Titanfall month and I still thought that was iffy.

I think many were misguided in the assessment that every month will be interesting. The truth is the PS4 is a more powerful console than the XB1 and so far nearly every notable game on current gen has been multiplatform. Those games can be played in a "superior" fashion on PS4 usually. Why would the XB1 magically outsell the PS4 when there hasn't been a game in months on it that hasn't played better on the more popular system?

November easily has the most reason/factors since the console has been out. I haven't made my decision on what will occur in that month, but comparing it to any other month is silly.

But hey I'm sure you'll come up with a witty response about how this is just another thing on the checklist, right?
Oh man "superior" fashion? I gotta get in on that. Difference has got to be amazing I'm sure.
EL OH EL
still cracks me up that people act like the cross-plat games are ever gonna be extremely different from each other. showmethereceipts.gif

Chris1

This year's CoD is doing abysmally in preorders. I wouldn't count on that to turn the tides.
Wouldn't say abysmal, I mean compared to previous cods then yeah but it'll still be the best selling game of 2014 even if it is the worst selling COD in years.

After Ghosts I expect alot of people to be holding off pre ordering AW and just buying it once reviews & they hear other peoples thoughts on it.

Toki767

You can definitely expect GTAV and Far Cry bundles, along with LBP3 and Driveclub.

If GTA V is out this year, they'll bundle it, yeah. I don't really see Far Cry as being bundle worthy. I still think we'll see an Infamous Second Son + 1 other game bundle though. Sony aren't going to bundle 2 new first party games (they'd rather just let Driveclub fail at retail I bet). LBP3 is definitely something they might want to bundle for the kids though.

Oh man "superior" fashion? I gotta get in on that. Difference has got to be amazing I'm sure.
EL OH EL
still cracks me up that people act like the cross-plat games are ever gonna be extremely different from each other. showmethereceipts.gif

Listen, man. I'm not saying that there is a massive difference in the multiplats. I don't even care about the hardware difference personally and if I did I wouldn't of bought the XB1 first. I'm just stating what the general perception many have between the two are. I currently only own an XB1 out of the two so I'm not sure why you would think I'd be doing anything more than that. I will eventually own a PS4 though due to the exclusive JRPGs/TLOU2.

foxbeldin

1s6fau.jpg

fwdyuz.gif

Mario007

If GTA V is out this year, they'll bundle it, yeah. I don't really see Far Cry as being bundle worthy. I still think we'll see an Infamous Second Son + 1 other game bundle though. Sony aren't going to bundle 2 new first party games (they'd rather just let Driveclub fail at retail I bet). LBP3 is definitely something they might want to bundle for the kids though.

There are gonna be DC bundles out I thought that was already announced? Yup GTAV is a safe bet, if it comes out.
I would imagine FC4 will be a bundled game similarly like Xbone might have AC:Unity.

As for the BF bundles I could see a Infamous and Last of Us Bundle for the kill.

Facism

Calm it down mate, don't make it personal.

Now imagine Tales of Zestiria sales next year, no wonder why Atlus put Persona 5 on PS4...
What scares me it's Bamco loosing the faith in western markets with Tales Of...

I don't think Namco is losing faith in the West. This was a sequel to a mainline title released at a time where the PS3 is declining severely. Europe is also has a sizeable audience for Tales as well.

Zestiria is probably going to come fall 2015, PS4 has to be there if Namco does not want to be disappointed.

Ellen Page remastered ~ 157k
∞ ~ 66k

Sum of top 10 SW LTD, not include special edition and bundle:
PS4: 7,452k
XB1: 7,207k
WiiU: 4,626k

Damn thats a drop. I recall when some posters were saying the WiiU was turning around, that it could outsell XB1 consistently and now its back to 60k.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Based on up-to-date NPD datas.

Overall software sales LTD up to August = hardware sales x tie ratios

[PS4] 11,376,000
[XB1] 10,359,256
[WIU] 9,140,050

Software sales LTD outside of top 10 up to August = overall sales LTD - top 10 SW LTD

[PS4] 3,924,000
[XB1] 3,152,256
[WIU] 4,514,050

There are gonna be DC bundles out I thought that was already announced? Yup GTAV is a safe bet, if it comes out.
I would imagine FC4 will be a bundled game similarly like Xbone might have AC:Unity.

As for the BF bundles I could see a Infamous and Last of Us Bundle for the kill.

I don't think FC4 is as noteworthy as many would think. In nearly every retailer chart I've seen the XB1 version is behind Sunset Overdrive. Also, Sunset is exclusive, while FC4 is multiplat, so obviously one has a bigger purchase incentive than the other.

It's also probably true that there would be an AC Unity bundle to counter this just as you suggest, which is a far bigger brand.

This was just a comparison between the Sunset/White XB1 bundle and potential AC Unity bundle vs a potential FC4 bundle so it obviously leaves out many factors.

I do agree that Black Friday bundles will be very interesting though in terms of what is packaged for both sides.

I don't think Namco is losing faith in the West. This was a sequel to a mainline title released at a time where the PS3 is declining severely. Europe is also has a sizeable audience for Tales as well.

Zestiria is probably going to come fall 2015, PS4 has to be there if Namco does not want to be disappointed.

Damn thats a drop. I recall when some posters were saying the WiiU was turning around, that it could outsell XB1 consistently and now its back to 60k.

Those posters are insane.

Asd202

Nah Zesteria will come out before fall in the West. I don't think there will be PS4 version just yet so yes it's going to sell around Xilllia 2.

Oo.

I'm partially arguing what Opiate was; its one of the three generics, and as generics they are not applicable to all markets at all times - for example a pricing strategy does not work with Veblen goods.

A focus strategy inherently assumes both a growing market and an unexploited niche within it to target, usually at a premium price point, as by focussing on the niche you must rely more on individual sales rather than volume.

Applying this condition to gaming, and for this strategy to make sense, you must infer that console gaming is and of itself a niche of gaming in general, and that your sales targets will therefore pay a premium for this focus, where the 'general public' in the industry will not.

The problem is that console gaming is not the high end enthusiast niche - that remains the domain of PC gaming - and that the targetted potential audience are willing to pay higher prices for their products accordingly, which historically has never been the case, either for hardware or software.

Console gamers have historically been shown to be extremely price sensitive to even small price discrepancies to their perceived norm - see the backlash on the PS3 launch pricing, or attempts by publishers to stifle the second hand market with things like Project $10.
I don't really know why console gaming couldn't be considered a niche segment with customers willing to pay more than certain other segments for both hardware and software. Consumers in the console market are paying considerably more than free for their hardware and considerably more than free for their software, and those are the price points available to the wider gaming market that's attracted a swathe of consumers. I don't really know why because PC gamers can be considered a distinct segment are willing to pay more, at least for hardware, that means that console gaming can't be considered as such.

Also, I wasn't aware that the focus generic requires an unexploited niche, as opposed to there simply being a distinct market segment to serve??

I'd say Sony's PS4 resembles something of a well implemented focus strategy towards the "core gamer" segment. And many of the large publishers have been operating as such as well, with their wares, for the most part.

Did someone really post that nonsense about Wii U consistently outselling XB1 in NA? I can't fathom how anyone would come to such a conclusion. What a weird thing to say.

Also, it will obviously not happen. The brand strength of Xbox in NA is much stronger than many think. The 360 massively outsold the PS3 in NA. Most of the PS3 user base is in Europe. The majority of that 360 user base is still up for grabs and I doubt many of them are going to buy a Wii U first especially with that console's current trajectory. They will most likely be choosing between the XB1/PS4.

The fact that the PS4 hasn't massively outsold the XB1 even with all the negative press/fiascos/weaker hardware in comparison to the PS4 shows just how strong it is in NA. Microsoft should learn from this gen's mistakes on what not to do so that they don't put themselves at an early deficit next time.

The Wii U will not even outsell the Xbox One in Europe in terms of lifetime sales and yes you can quote me on that.

DieH@rd

Banned
20% less games sold isn't a good sign.

Don't forget that this August we had fewer games, especially for nextgen who are driving force of game sales now.

Last year there were Pikmin 3, Tales of Xillia, Disney Infinity, Saints Row IV, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Lost Planet 3...

And here I thought the average Joe doesn't care about the "slight performance difference" in multiplatform games. That's a bit of a turn around in only four days, I guess Madden's sales had something to do with that?

Lemondish

This is such an asinine comparison. You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion, but don't base it off this. There are better arguments for the PS4 "winning" November than that.

Refer to this post:

I don't think Halo is a big deal. These are old Halo titles being released on the system where Halo fans will naturally congregate. It's the best form of fan service, but the Halo enthusiast this appeals to is likely to have already purchased the box. There's little generational crossover of PlayStation fans to Xbox this time around so it isn't exactly able to target a massive new audience the way TLoU:R did or a theoretical Uncharted collection might. This is a great game for the core Xbox fan but I am not convinced it will light anything on fire.

Some if those % are surely digital sales.

Don't think all of the 20% but a good chunk.

Don't underestimate digital. It may even exceed that 20% deficit.

Anyway we all should know digital sales revenue is growing massively each year and retail has been declining, with that decline accelerating this year and next.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
XB1 is surely doing better than Wii U in Uk, but it's also true that Xbox One is doing AWFUL outside of UK, even more than Wii U. However, it has to be seen wheter, currently, Xbox One UK sales over Wii U are enough to overbalance Wii U sales over Xbox One outside of UK.

And here I thought the average Joe doesn't care about the "slight performance difference" in multiplatform games. That's a bit of a turn around in only four days, I guess Madden's sales had something to do with that?

Everyone obviously does not care about it because if they did there would be a far greater disparity than the current one.

However, it can't be denied that there are some that DO and it does affect sales to a certain extent. Quit grasping at straws here, we've already discussed this and you're adding nothing to the discussion.

Top Bottom