• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
3mdOOoi.png

;-;7

"Lucas used to be weak-willed, and cry all the time. However, he overcame unimaginable hardships, and must surely be out adventuring somewhere right now. Or perhaps, he's found a partner and made a family of his own... No, no, that feels too soon. To fans of the MOTHER series, both Lucas and Ness might be young boys for all eternity."
Lucas...went home and became a family man?

Dr.Hadji

I haven't seen anyone mention it but I thought I'd share some Brawl nomenclature with you guys, something that might help you out in your playing. There is a thing that people in my circle of Smashers call "sweet hopping". The tech is simple. You merely time out your air attacks so that the animation runs out before you hit the ground, so the only lag you experience is a general character landing lag.

The most useful and frequent uses of "sweet hopping" is with short hop air. As most of the timing is fairly similar across all characters. The timing being, jump and then as soon as possible then use your aerial. In the demo, Mario and Pikachu have some prominent uses of the tech.

You can sweet hop Mario's D-air. With the correct timing, the move will end right before you land on the ground again, allowing you to do whatever.
Pikachu can sweet hop its N-air, and F-air. Again when done allows for quick follow up.

On a side note. Pikachu can kill with up-B now?! And at low % it provides enough stun to follow up?! Wow.

Also, I wouldn't worry about your 3DS breaking. Anyone having the circle pad come off isn't playing the game correctly, it's no fault of Smash.

Growlie19

The rubber on the circle pad of my red 3DS already came off after Pokemon Y and Mario Kart 7, but instead of being in one piece like I've seen, bits and pieces came off gradually. My little brother finished the job and ripped off the last bit of rubber, so all I have left is the plastic nub. Smash still plays fine without the grip, thankfully. Now, the lack of a working L-button is another story. I blame Mario Kart on that one. It's a bit annoying to grab or toss items now that I have to shield first. I'm probably gonna pick up a 2DS to tide me over until the new 3DS comes out.

I'll keep the 3DS as a Pokemon machine. Never had to touch a shoulder button for those games.

PKrockin

I haven't seen anyone mention it but I thought I'd share some Brawl nomenclature with you guys, something that might help you out in your playing. There is a thing that people in my circle of Smashers call "sweet hopping". The tech is simple. You merely time out your air attacks so that the animation runs out before you hit the ground, so the only lag you experience is a general character landing lag.

The most useful and frequent uses of "sweet hopping" is with short hop air. As most of the timing is fairly similar across all characters. The timing being, jump and then as soon as possible then use your aerial. In the demo, Mario and Pikachu have some prominent uses of the tech.

You can sweet hop Mario's D-air. With the correct timing, the move will end right before you land on the ground again, allowing you to do whatever.
Pikachu can sweet hop its N-air, and F-air. Again when done allows for quick follow up.

On a side note. Pikachu can kill with up-B now?! And at low % it provides enough stun to follow up?! Wow.

It's called short hop autocancel. When you do an aerial and land while the animation is still playing yet only experience normal landing lag that's autocancelling.

For the people with the full game, is it easy to tell Pit from Dark Pit? My problem with Dark Pit is he's literally a palette swap with very slight differences. I can tell all the previous clones apart as they're all pretty visually different. I've never had a problem with a smash bros character being part of the roster before, but I hate to say that Dark Pit might be the first character inclusion that just straight up bothers me.

I'm playing the demo right now and I'm starting to get the hang of the 3ds controls finally. I can beat lvl 9s pretty routinely at this point but I occasionally lose in sudden death due to the annoying time limit :/

But loving the hell out of this game so far!

For the people with the full game, is it easy to tell Pit from Dark Pit? My problem with Dark Pit is he's literally a palette swap with very slight differences. I can tell all the previous clones apart as they're all pretty visually different. I've never had a problem with a smash bros character being part of the roster before, but I hate to say that Dark Pit might be the first character inclusion that just straight up bothers me.

I'm playing the demo right now and I'm starting to get the hang of the 3ds controls finally. I can beat lvl 9s pretty routinely at this point but I occasionally lose in sudden death due to the annoying time limit :/

But loving the hell out of this game so far!

Dark Pit always has black wings and hair, while Pit always has white wings and brown hair. And at the end of the day... Does it really matter which one you're fighting when they're both so similar? :p

Masked Man

I said wow
Anyone have tips about getting 600m in the Home Run contest?

Yoshi! Just grab the bat, spam DAir, and let loose on Mr. Sandbag just before time is up.

Wow robin with black hair looks amazing

Agreed! Been too busy playing Mac and Palutena to give Robin as much attention as I'd like, but that's the costume I've been using. :D

Anybody have a translation for the second challenge board?
Finished the first one. :D

Just cleared it!
  • Take first place in a five-person battle at the end of Smash Run
  • Perform a 40-hit combo in Training
  • Unlock all fighters
  • Create 3 custom characters in the Character Maker
  • Break a total of 1000 boxes in Trophy Smash
  • Earn a total of 100 KOs in VS Mode
  • Collect 150 trophies
  • Earn a total high score of 2,000,000 in Smash Bomber
  • StreetPass with at least 5 people in StreetPass Smash
  • Earn a score of 10 or higher in Rival Multi-Man Smash
  • Play on Living Room 3 times
  • Slam one player into another to KO 10 players in StreetPass Smash
  • Collect 25 different kinds of gear (i.e. items you bring with you) in Smash Run
  • Complete 100-Man Melee
  • Break 99% of the wall during the Staff Roll
  • Complete Classic Mode with 5 characters
  • Play on Find Mii 3 times
  • Take first place with Meta Knight in 5 VS matches
  • Unlock Mr. Game & Watch
  • Destroy Master Core
  • KO 20 people with a counterattack in StreetPass Smash
  • Hit the Sandbag 600m in Home Run Contest
  • KO 30 fighters in Endless Melee
  • Play Smash Run 5 times
  • Unlock all stages
  • Play VS Mode for a total of 10 hours (total play time x number of participants)
  • Take first place with Samus in 10 VS matches
  • Collect 15 types of Custom Special Moves
  • Collect 5 Mii Fighter outfits
  • Earn a total of 300 KOs in VS Mode
  • Play Home Run Contest with 15 characters
  • Create 8 Mii Fighters in the Character Maker
  • Collect 10 Mii Fighter hats
  • Complete All-Star Mode on Normal
  • Have the game on for a total of 8 hours

Megaton, please be more than one track, I need that Yamane goodness.

Considering that she's not included in the 3DS Musician List, it sounds like she'll be exclusive to the Wii U version. I don't know much of her music by name, but I'm looking forward to hearing her contribution!

Oh my god, that new Air Man Theme remix.

I KNOW. Iwadare-san is ridiculous. This is god-tier music right here!

3mdOOoi.png

;-;7

"Lucas used to be weak-willed, and cry all the time. However, he overcame unimaginable hardships, and must surely be out adventuring somewhere right now. Or perhaps, he's found a partner and made a family of his own... No, no, that feels too soon. To fans of the MOTHER series, both Lucas and Ness might be young boys for all eternity."

The feels... ;____;

Junichi Nakatsuru fucking Junichi Nakatsuru.
For this best main theme ever made, the soul calibur vibe is now confirmed.

Actually, at Press Start yesterday, they performed the Main Theme, and the program said it was actually composed by Keiki Kobayashi but arranged by Junichi Nakatsuru. If the instrumentation sounds like something Nakatsuru-san would write, that's probably why! :D

And no one still has made a translation to Wolf's trophy :mad:

"Wolf once bested Team StarFox as an elite pilot in Andross's army. Once Andross's forces disbanded, however, Wolf herded some hooligans and created a team of his own: StarWolf. He is not above working together with Fox to defeat a common enemy--so long as doing so serves his own interests, anyway. And that doesn't mean they'll stay friends for long, either: Fox and Wolf will be back at it again soon enough, rivals for all eternity.

I know but he could have bent the rules a bit! It atlease had pink shells like magicant. ;_;

I keep waiting for a Magypsy to pop out of one of the shells and do something cool. ;___;

Pics_nao

This is the funny part. She's even worse of a clone than Doctor Mario but the waifu factor is too strong.
Yeah I'm guilty of this. I'm not happy about her being a clone at all and I'm desperately hoping her custom moves make her vastly different than Marth and his custom moves but hey, waifu for laifu

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Oh yeah, that "1 Pokeball Limit", unless Sakurai lied, won't be in the Wii U Version...one POTD shows Xerneas and Victini out at the same time.

Fox and Wolf will be back at it again soon enough, rivals for all eternity.

DLC confirmed!

I don't have the full games, but from streams and such I didn't have a problem distinguishing the two.

ffdgh

"Wolf once bested Team StarFox as an elite pilot in Andross's army. Once Andross's forces disbanded, however, Wolf herded some hooligans and created a team of his own: StarWolf. He is not above working together with Fox to defeat a common enemy--so long as doing so serves his own interests, anyway. And that doesn't mean they'll stay friends for long, either: Fox and Wolf will be back at it again soon enough, rivals for all eternity."

...I can't tell if this is a hint or a giant tease.

Kouichi

"Wolf once bested Team StarFox as an elite pilot in Andross's army. Once Andross's forces disbanded, however, Wolf herded some hooligans and created a team of his own: StarWolf. He is not above working together with Fox to defeat a common enemy--so long as doing so serves his own interests, anyway. And that doesn't mean they'll stay friends for long, either: Fox and Wolf will be back at it again soon enough, rivals for all eternity."

Well Star Wolf is in the new Star Fox.

Durden77

So out of a roster of 51 characters, we have four villains. Two of which are Mario villains. And that's being generous and calling DeDeDe a villain, which he really isn't at this point.

That's disappointing. Really wish Wolf wasn't gone.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
"Wolf once bested Team StarFox as an elite pilot in Andross's army. Once Andross's forces disbanded, however, Wolf herded some hooligans and created a team of his own: StarWolf. He is not above working together with Fox to defeat a common enemy--so long as doing so serves his own interests, anyway. And that doesn't mean they'll stay friends for long, either: Fox and Wolf will be back at it again soon enough, rivals for all eternity.

Thanks!

Huh, so I was right all along that Wolf never really thought "Star Wolf" is Star Wolf during 64.

And that trophy description better amount to something Sakurai!!!

So trophies for wolf, lucas, mewtwo, ice climbers, dixie, and chorus men have all been found correct. Anyone found any Golden Sun trophy, custom robo trophy, or a Ridley trophy yet?

This isn't right, is it? Star Wolf was in Star Fox 64 working for Andross and when was Wolf definitely better than Fox?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on Captain Falcon's custom moves?

This is the best source I've seen for custom moves so far.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Character_customization#Confirmed_variations_of_special_moves

Unfortunately it's still very lacking for the ones I'm interested in (rest of Falcon, ZSS, and Marth/Lucina).

Someone did tell me a couple of Lucina's, which I assume are the same as Marth's. One was the custom shield breaker that lunges forward, the other was a higher dolphin slash that lacks a hitbox.

This isn't right, is it? Star Wolf was in Star Fox 64 working for Andross and when was Wolf definitely better than Fox?

Wasn't Wolf already a mercenary in team StarWolf at that point? I assume if that's accurate it happened before the events in 64. Fox's comments when StarWolf shows up imply the two have some history.

Hatchtag

Banned
So out of a roster of 51 characters, we have four villains. Two of which are Mario villains. And that's being generous and calling DeDeDe a villain, which he really isn't at this point.

That's disappointing. Really wish Wolf wasn't gone.

Easily my biggest dissappointment with the roster. Add in Mewtwo, Ridley, and Wolf and I'd be happy.

Masked Man

I said wow

Literally, it says something like "He and Fox may have been fighting yesterday, but Wolf will occasionally cooperate if Fox shares his interests. That will all change again tomorrow, though--Wolf and Fox are rivals for eternity." Interpret that as you will.

oh

how do those compare to Classic mode difficulties?

Only tried Easy and Normal so far, but I made it through Easy with very little effort. Normal got a little frustrating at times, so I expect Hard to be a bit beefier than what we've come to expect from "Hard Mode."

Pyrokai

Guys. Help me not hate the 3DS version for making my Smash 4 experience less than what it could have been. I hold roster variety above anything else (rather than portability trumping that), and if Ice Climbers were indeed cut for technical reasons, I can't help but be angry with the 3DS version and wish it didn't exist. Also, I would MUCH rather have one feature-packed version than two games with lacking content that are only fully-featured if you consider them both "together as one". Sorry I'm being bitter right now, lol.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Star Fox 2? He was in the game before it was cancelled, so it may be a reference to that games cancellation. It'd be a pretty neat reference if that's what they're going for.
Technically SF2 doesn't exist.

I guess it meant that Star Wolf in 64 isn't the "real" Star Wolf because it was just Wolf and Leon, Pigma and Andrew were forced in by Andross to manipulate Wolf.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Hmm, so the question is whether or not people would rather have 51 characters with clones or 46 unique characters. Do people think cutting Ganondorf, Dr. Mario, Falco, Toon Link, Dark Pit, and Lucina would be worth it?
Ganondorf, Falco and Young/Toon Link have been in the past 2 games and should not be cut. If Dr. mario, Dark Pit and Lucina could be sacrificed to keep Ice Climbers or Lucas that would be acceptable. It would also be nice if Ganondorf's and to a lesser extent Toon Link's moveset were more unique and representative of their characters as well. Straight clone inclusions like Lucina and especially Dark Pit cheapen the game imo.

Anyway, I'm hyped as hell for Smash 4. I thought I would wait for the Wii U version but I'm considering buying a 2DS just to get my hands on it early. Is there any reason I should get a 3DS or XL over the 2DS?

Guys. Help me not hate the 3DS version for making my Smash 4 experience less than what it could have been. I hold roster variety above anything else (rather than portability trumping that), and if Ice Climbers were indeed cut for technical reasons, I can't help but be angry with the 3DS version and wish it didn't exist. Also, I would MUCH rather have one feature-packed version than two games with lacking content that are only fully-featured if you consider them both "together as one". Sorry I'm being bitter right now, lol.

Can't help as I feel the same way

With DLC and the Nu3DS, there's no reason why characters like Ice Climbers can't be added to the WiiU!

Violet_0

Banned
hey, I know an easy fix for the Metroid and DK franchises being underrepresented in Smash dilemma

add Ridley and Dixie to the fighter roster ^_^

Durden77

Easily my biggest dissappointment with the roster. Add in Mewtwo, Ridley, and Wolf and I'd be happy.

Yeah. I love playing as villains. There's just something inherently cool about it. Probably helps because they're usually rarely playable in their actual games.

Bums me out how slim the pickings are. Ganondorf's really the only evil one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom