• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's time for another PS4 stability update don't you think?

With the PS3, everyone was complaining about too many system updates that took too long. Now Sony is purposefully trying to spread them out to give everyone a chance to enjoy their new firmware for a few days before putting out the next one, and they get nothing but shit for it. Honestly I feel bad for the OS teams, they just can't win.

Fatal Error

Neo Member
I'm positive that I saw somewhere that 2.0 will be by the end of this month, but with the recent news from Playstation Middle East regarding finally localizing the Playstation and that Arabic will be included with the System Update 2.0, arabic gaming sites said it will be in November! now I know soony is slow with software updates but this is too sloooooow, but of course there is no confirmed date to this moment so I will take this with a grain of salt.

also they showed some screenshots and I found two to be interesting,
201409032253301.jpg
you can see a blue dot next to the number of online friends, I guess maybe that means we can change status
and there is modification to the UI from icons to labeled button.

Edit: okay just noticed, why does it say press O in both screenshots when one says "Enter" and the other says "Back"? I guess it's not finished, and this is just a mockup. damn you sony. (They are official BTW and shown in a press conference)

Audioboxer

With the PS3, everyone was complaining about too many system updates that took too long. Now Sony is purposefully trying to spread them out to give everyone a chance to enjoy their new firmware for a few days before putting out the next one, and they get nothing but shit for it. Honestly I feel bad for the OS teams, they just can't win.

They've been spreading out stability updates, not features...

And yes while "stability" helps, a feature here or there should be bundled with them. Basic things like pausing downloads a year later is unacceptable.

Footos22

This. Before they go adding anything else, they need to at least get the basics in place. It would be nice to know when my friends come online, without having to check my friends list.

It's hard to believe these things still aren't in place nearly a year after launch.

Only of you can favourite them as otherwise I'll be getting notifications constantly thus making me turn notifications off.

I believe we are currently at 1.80. I don't think they'll jump straight to 2.00, so I think we'll probably get a 1.90 update (relatively soon, considering Fall starts in a week). Will it be anything other than a stability update? Probably not.

Fbh

People complained about Ps3 updates because they were very frequent and almost never added new features. Just "stability" that hardly anyone noticed.

If they added interesting new features to the Ps3 every other week you can be sure most people wouldn't complain.

Now on Ps4 the updates are less frequent but 90% are still this "stability" crap.

I remember that feeling when I fired up my PS4 to discover that downloads have no pause. I googled "Pause PS4 download" and I was just like...:D

People complained about Ps3 updates because they were very frequent and almost never added new features. Just "stability" that hardly anyone noticed.

If they added interesting new features to the Ps3 every other week you can be sure most people wouldn't complain.

Now on Ps4 the updates are less frequent but 90% are still this "stability" crap.

Plus, they were more intrusive (prior to PS+). With PS4 you can have them download in the background and still play games (offline).

dralla

I'd really like to be able to upload screenshots to image hosting sites directly from the PS4 instead of having to move them to USB storage, what an unnecessary hassle. And separate rows for games and apps. And the ability to create sub-groups on my friends list. And pausing downloads. I really don't care for the share play feature, or themes, I want functionality.

Audioboxer

I'd really like to be able to upload screenshots to image hosting sites directly from the PS4 instead of having to move them to USB storage, what an unnecessary hassle. And separate rows for games and apps. And the ability to create sub-groups on my friends list. And pausing downloads. I really don't care for the share play feature, or themes, I want functionality.

THIS!

Hence why in the D3 topics I just said my pics will come later lol.

androvsky

I'm positive that I saw somewhere that 2.0 will be by the end of this month, but with the recent news from Playstation Middle East regarding finally localizing the Playstation and that Arabic will be included with the System Update 2.0, arabic gaming sites said it will be in November! now I know soony is slow with software updates but this is too sloooooow, but of course there is no confirmed date to this moment so I will take this with a grain of salt.

also they showed some screenshots and I found two to be interesting,

you can see a blue dot next to the number of online friends, I guess maybe that means we can change status

and there is modification to the UI from icons to labeled button.

Edit: okay just noticed, why does it say press O in both screenshots when one says "Enter" and the other says "Back"? I guess it's not finished, and this is just a mockup. damn you sony. (They are official BTW and shown in a press conference)
PS Nation podcast was saying the rumor for 2.0 being released was November also, and that was before 2.0 was even announced. They had a developer guest on that episode that had heard the same thing. On the plus side, their rumor included media playback. I'm getting the feeling there's going to be even more stuff that's not been announced yet (ps1/ps2 bc?).

Vestal

Gold Member

It wouldn't be an issue if the features present on the ps3 (dlna etc) and features promised and showcased on reveal(SUSPEND/RESUME) were actually part of the OS.

My biggest grip is that Sony hasn't figured out what they want from their UI, and yet they're more focused on releasing themes which may not even be properly working if they change the interface. I wish they improved the UI first before adding cosmetic changes to it.

Weird priorities, or one department finishing homework before the other...

Vashetti

Banned
In all seriousness, there are definitely problems with memory leaks in the OS.

Play any intensive game for several hours (i.e. Destiny, FFXIV, etc.) and then back into the OS. Try and look at your Trophies or do pretty much anything.

Lag, lag, lag.

Liamario

Banned
There are several updates which are of considerably greater importance than fucking themes. Soony's priorities are totally skewed. Tidy up and improve the existing functionality before adding more shit that doesn't work as well as it should.

Audioboxer

There are several updates which are of considerably greater importance than fucking themes. Soony's priorities are totally skewed. Tidy up and improve the existing functionality before adding more shit that doesn't work as well as it should.

Themes = £/$

PS Nation podcast was saying the rumor for 2.0 being released was November also, and that was before 2.0 was even announced. They had a developer guest on that episode that had heard the same thing. On the plus side, their rumor included media playback. I'm getting the feeling there's going to be even more stuff that's not been announced yet (ps1/ps2 bc?).
Since the PS4 OS/UI is built using HTML5 GTK webkit2 APIs and stable updates to Gnome/GTKwebkit occur every 6 months with the latest usually late September to October, we can expect lots of firmware updates around October. Since DLNA CVP2 certification starts in September for I assume the same reason and it's projected that DLNA CVP2 platforms will start selling late this holiday season it's possible we will see DLNA in the PS4 late this year. There are 15 platforms undergoing certification at this time. Sony and Microsoft will not release DLNA on their game consoles till certified and this time it's DLNA 2.0 not 1.0 - 1.5 as in the PS3. DLNA 2.0 with 3 box model, EPG, Content Sync, RUI, WPS, Media Formats, Scheduled recording, DRM, Metadata.

Vita hasn't gotten DLNA for the same reason yet even though at release (2011) there were slides with DLNA mentioned. Vita as Playstation TV is unthinkable without DLNA. Imagine the PS4 able to share games on Playstation TV but not media and from design as well as the XB1's supported DLNA file types, it's and I assume the PS4 are to be media hubs designed to support other STBs and handhelds in the home.

The XB1 announced in September, is getting DLNA in October but Microsoft is stressing TV/media features in the XB1 while Sony is stressing Game features in the PS4. There is also that Microsoft's WMDRM10 and Playready are part of the CVP2 certification so they have a head start.

DLNA in the PS3 is always loaded as part of the OS except when running games. The PS4 always has HTML5 loaded for the UI and DLNA should also be part of the core OS always in memory. If it's to support the DLNA 2.0 and 1.5's three box model required by DLNA CVP2 then it has to be integrated into the OS at a low level which supports rumors of suspend/resume and DLNA coming with Firmware 2.0. Metadata supporting DRM usage rules has to be part of the core player and with hardware codecs I assume the same player routines are used for DLNA, HTML5 <video> and Blu-ray.

For sure Share 2.0 features before the holiday season and Nov 15 is about the latest we should see that. Nov 18 for GTAV for the PS4 I think is so it's out after Share 2.0.

liquidtmd

Banned
In terms of a November drop for the supposedly big 2.0 update, you'd wonder if its a wise idea to launch a significant firmware change during what will probably be the month of the year where the PSN network is under the most stress (COD launch et al)

I just noticed Vita is getting a firmware update 3.3 in October that supports themes and more. It's mentioned in last nights TGS and in a Wiki.

Vita should be getting DLNA + Themes and HTML5 updates the same as PS4 but PS4 as additionally a Media Hub serving to Vita as Playstation TV. October is a typical GTK Webkit update month! PS3 firmware 3.5 containing a Javascript engine with reference to GTK webkit was released October 2010.

Again Microsoft has announced DLNA for the XB1 coming October and contrary to some, both XB1 and PS4 are going to support the same media features EVENTUALLY. This does not confirm DLNA for the PS4 and Vita this October but gives a little hope it's coming before early 2015. By June 2015 all cable companies are mandated to support DLNA CVP2 for their tru-2-way and DVRs but are implementing whole home DVR features with clients they provide as early as is possible for them. It just depends on DTLA (DTCP-IP certificate) getting their server on-line to support third party DLNA CVP2 STBs.

The FCC has published ATSC 2.0 features which cable has to pass-through support (DLNA CVP 2 can support this). Notice the second screen support in ATSC 2.0 and Cable TV. Notice both Microsoft and Sony with second screen APPs for the XB1 and PS4. I hope you see as I do that there is a roadmap being followed by Microsoft and Sony that is supporting the features and DRM rules (Media and Game rules the same when possible) for what's coming for Cable and OTA.

Vita as Playstation TV should be a DLNA CVP2 certified STB. Issues are that articles are saying it does not support 1080P or more that two audio channels and ATSC 2.0 supports 1080P and 7.1 audio channels with DLNA CVP2.

cvp2graphic.png

http://www.cablelabs.com/dlna-cvp-2-premium-content-to-any-device-in-any-room/ said:
According to NPD Group/Connected Intelligence, there will be 200 million non-tablet connected devices (TVs, game consoles, Blu-Ray players, streaming media players) in the U.S. by 2015. The worldwide number of smart TVs and game consoles is expected to reach 845 million and 224 million, respectively, by 2018. The need for delivering premium content with a consistent user experience across multiple devices is expanding at a breakneck pace.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Do people really want constant updates? It was a complaint for alot of people last gen now whoever gets most updates is the best console...

I am more interested if 2.0 finally brings back some basic features which are missing from the PS3.

I am not even talking about media playback and themes and that share play feature seems nice

but

* friend notification
* pause downloads
* some separation between games and apps

.... come it, it´s been almost a year.

Don't forget basic bluetooth headset support. How the system still doesn't have this is beyond me.

I remember that feeling when I fired up my PS4 to discover that downloads have no pause. I googled "Pause PS4 download" and I was just like...:D

I know a lot of people want it, but I'm not convinced it makes much sense given how internet networking works. Devices should be smart enough to manage downloads themselves, including prioritization and pausing/resuming. Forcing users to do it seems backward. It would be better to get them to fix the underlying problem rather than delegate it to users.

Do people really want constant updates? It was a complaint for alot of people last gen now whoever gets most updates is the best console...

I don't think people are saying Sony needs to do a lot of updates. People are saying that basic functions, stuff that has long since been a part of the PS3 need to be there. It is absolutely ridiculous that the LAST GEN system can do things, and support things, that the NEXT GEN system can't. Basic things, like pausing a download, or using a bluetooth headset, or fucking folders.

DWinn7

Since the PS4 OS/UI is built using HTML5 GTK webkit2 APIs and stable updates to Gnome/GTKwebkit occur every 6 months with the latest usually late September to October, we can expect lots of firmware updates around October. Since DLNA CVP2 certification starts in September for I assume the same reason and it's projected that DLNA CVP2 platforms will start selling late this holiday season it's possible we will see DLNA in the PS4 late this year. There are 15 platforms undergoing certification at this time. Sony and Microsoft will not release DLNA on their game consoles till certified and this time it's DLNA 2.0 not 1.0 - 1.5 as in the PS3. DLNA 2.0 with 3 box model, EPG, Content Sync, RUI, WPS, Media Formats, Scheduled recording, DRM, Metadata.

Vita hasn't gotten DLNA for the same reason yet even though at release (2011) there were slides with DLNA mentioned. Vita as Playstation TV is unthinkable without DLNA. Imagine the PS4 able to share games on Playstation TV but not media and from design as well as the XB1's supported DLNA file types, it's and I assume the PS4 are to be media hubs designed to support other STBs and handhelds in the home.

The XB1 announced in September, is getting DLNA in October but Microsoft is stressing TV/media features in the XB1 while Sony is stressing Game features in the PS4. There is also that Microsoft's WMDRM10 and Playready are part of the CVP2 certification so they have a head start.

DLNA in the PS3 is always loaded as part of the OS except when running games. The PS4 always has HTML5 loaded for the UI and DLNA should also be part of the core OS always in memory. If it's to support the DLNA 2.0 and 1.5's three box model required by DLNA CVP2 then it has to be integrated into the OS at a low level which supports rumors of suspend/resume and DLNA coming with Firmware 2.0. Metadata supporting DRM usage rules has to be part of the core player and with hardware codecs I assume the same player routines are used for DLNA, HTML5 <video> and Blu-ray.

For sure Share 2.0 features before the holiday season and Nov 15 is about the latest we should see that. Nov 18 for GTAV for the PS4 I think is so it's out after Share 2.0.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....It all makes sense now. lol thanks

Blanquito

Jeff, could you explain a little more why you think suspend/resume is reliant on the DLNA CVP2 stuff? I'm not sure I see the connection.

I just want someone to explain to me why my PS4 continues to boot into safe mode whenever I turn it on via the controller.

It happens nearly every time I boot it, at which point I have to shut down and try again.

I dont understand why people so desperate for DLNA right now dont just buy a chromecast and call it a day.

Runs quieter, is cheaper and will support more codecs than the PS4 anyway.

Im not saying its not something im looking forward to, but it honestly isnt a big deal.

DBT85

Updates, and the transparency of the updates, is thus far one of few (imo) things that MS is doing much better than Sony.

I don't however actually care about DLNA.

Jeff, could you explain a little more why you think suspend/resume is reliant on the DLNA CVP2 stuff? I'm not sure I see the connection.
1) Power modes = one of the suspend/resume features and low power IPTV. DLNA CVP2 has required power modes and negotiations to wake the server. Share 2 likely will allow the Vita and your friend's STB to wake the PS4 from standby to full power mode and upon log-off back to standby. Suspend/resume should be part of this or your friend will be waiting on the game to load.

See the Modern Entertainment box bottom left:

Slide5.jpg

Bottom right: Enjoy the complete Xbox experience anytime, anywhere, any screen (DLNA CVP2 mantra) and just above it, instant on experiences. Imagine your wife kicks you out of the living room while you are playing a game or watching a DVR program...DLNA CVP2 makes a big issue of walking to another room and continuing your DVR program where you left off...imagine Sony not offering the same for a game...it's a planned feature required by Energy Star for Auto Power Down and Save state which is also being used to make it easier to restart games.

Slide15.jpg

I'd just like to know when my friends get online. I don't understand why that's such a difficult feature to implement but apparently it is for Sony.

The September 25th date seems to stem from people confusing a Nasne update with a system software update.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/release/nr_20140901_nasne_v250.html
Good find.

The Sony Nasne September 25th firmware update allows TV streaming from the DLNA server out through a broadband internet port and served to your Phone or Vita using WiFi or Cell LTE. At this time it's only in Japan and a few other regions due to DRM issues. After DLNA CVP2 (Vidipath) is enabled here in the US the same could be implemented here depending on the metadata Flag for the content. DTCP-IP is not allowed outside the home so something like Playready would be used (no info on how it's done yet).

PS4 and now Vita can use Nasne with the Torne DVR application. Nasne is a DLNA DVR server so Torne on Vita is using DLNA but that doesn't mean DLNA is exposed on the UI or with the PS4 the XMB or whatever it's called.

A little more research at this site and we find:

In iOS device, TV listings app "TV SideView" is available. TV SideView is compatible with remote viewing from Sony BD recorders already made, so that the nasne is added as a new compatible device. It is scheduled to be corresponding to the "AnyTime TV" in the update that takes place September 25 as well.

The TV SideView&#8482; app is compatible with an Android&#8482; phone with 2.2 or later (excluding Android 3.x), an Android tablet with Android 3.0 or later or an Apple® iPhone® mobile device, Apple iPad® system, or Apple iPod® touch player with iOS 5.0 or later.

Platforms that support TV Sideview What is and what features does TV sideview support

Android L supports TV features and DLNA CVP2 (Vidipath) does this in the home.

Vestax

Banned
So, aside from DLNA, what other features has the XB1 received through updates, that the PS4 really needs?

Just curious, since all I do with my (new used) XB1 is game pretty much (I used to watch U-Verse TV through the HDMI-passthrough, but the feed looks like shit. The XB1 degrades it pretty noticeably). For gaming, the PS4 is a much better option.

Top Bottom