• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor PC Performance Thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
With the results so far, PC. It seems the VRAM fears were greatly exaggerated.

Judging from Zeliard's screenshot above on the previous page, I could understanding recommending 4GB VRAM, but, yeah, as expected, 6GB seems to have been a great exaggeration.

red731

I have this setup, but no game - guys, if anyone has this GPU, let me know what you are getting.

i7 3770k@4.5
16GB RAM
7970 3GB GHz

Smash88

Banned
Alright here we go... again:

i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz - GTX TITAN SC - 16GB DDR3 2133MHz - Samsung 840 Pro SSD

All maxed settings @ 2560x1440 w/ Ultra Texture Pack downloaded and enabled.

2hL3tcRl.jpg

QziELCtl.jpg

k7Tdnejl.jpg

8GD97VJ.png

--------------------

I saw a drop of 1 fps (but that could just be a negligible variable) with Ultra Texture Pack enabled. The game does not use 6GB of VRAM as claimed. Max is 4.8GB and that is at 1440p.

So all you GTX 970/980 folk, do not fret. You will be fine!

sgs2008

Anyone actually benched ultra texture s yet. I have 2x 780ti gonna be playing at 1440p worried about the 3gb vram. Anyone tried forcing aa cause im not rly keen on trying ssaa lol?

Hitchey

Neo Member
Hmm Im wondering if it's even worth trying the ultra textures pack at 1080p to see if I can get a locked 30fps with this setup...

i7-3770k @ 3.5 Ghz
16GB DDR3
GTX 670 2GB VRAM
Vertex 4 SSD

Thoughts?

sgs2008

2hL3tcRl.jpg

QziELCtl.jpg

k7Tdnejl.jpg

8GD97VJ.png

--------------------

I saw a drop of 1 fps (but that could just be a negligible variable) with Ultra Texture Pack enabled. The game does not use 6GB of VRAM as claimed. Max is 4.8GB and that is at 1440p.

Ah dang 4.8 is still alot more then I have wish ram stacked in sli :(

Quesa

All I have under DLC for the game is "Test of Power" -- this isn't the HD content, is it? I can run it ok on Ultra textures -- is that what the HD content pack enables?

knitoe

I don't think the TEXTURE QUALITY settings does anything. I just went from low, med, high to ultra and they all use 5.2GB of VRAM. I didn't notice any difference in video quality.

All I have under DLC for the game is "Test of Power" -- this isn't the HD content, is it? I can run it ok on Ultra textures -- is that what the HD content pack enables?

Ultra is the same as "high" unless you have the HD content pack installed.

I don't think the TEXTURE QUALITY settings does anything. I just went from low, med, high to ultra and they all use 5.2GB of VRAM. I didn't notice any difference in video quality.

The game seems to take advantage of as much memory as it can, and just use it for cacheing purposes. It's not "really" using 5.2GB at the lowest setting, probably. There have been other games like this before.

IMACOMPUTA

2hL3tcRl.jpg

QziELCtl.jpg

k7Tdnejl.jpg

8GD97VJ.png

--------------------

So all you GTX 970/980 folk, do not fret. You will be fine!

Where is the supersampling setting? Did you have it on?

You can tell a big difference in the clothing of the MC in the low/high comparison posted on the last page.

Hristi

LOL at the VRAM debacle

GTX 570 (1.28GB VRAM), i5 2500k @ 4.2GHz, 8GB Ram

Settings (1080p no supersampling):

Performance:

Also min, max is taken from the very starting frames which is why you get such weird values.

This is good news for my 2gb 770.

Yep, so just verified... GPU2 is at 0%. Will need a CFX profile.

I have to say though, even though I don't have the HD texture, the textures are still pretty fucking nice.

Smash88

Banned
Alright, now you guys have a benchmark to compare to/go crazy at, if you don't mind, I'm going to go play some now. :D

Yeah this runs buttery smooth on my 580 at Ultra settings except for the textures obviously.

My system for those curious:

GTX580 1.5GB
Core i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
4GB Gskill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 ram

Man, this 3 year old PC continues to surprise me.

I am having one small issue, for some reason the Orc armor looks like ass no matter what setting I use, I compared my screenshot with one from Deimos and it confirmed my suspicions.

dragn

1080p, ultra textures
no vsync
2500k @ 4ghz, amd 7970 @1ghz, 16gb ram, ssd

fLFoPR1.jpg

io8MV8l.png

garbage benchmark, afterburner said fps was from smooth 39-45 to 60+ fps at the end no stuttering, vram was 2,97gb

Corpekata

Banned
Upgrading to the Ultra textures BARELY affected the benchmark at all. It dipped around 59ish during the explosion (was 65ish before), that's about it, on a 970.

cheezcake

Uhh, can someone explain why framerate cuts by 40% when I enable Ultra textures despite not having Ultra textures installed.

Whatever, nerdsssss.

It's not 1.28GB anyway under that definition, since memory comes in MiB not "MB".

Actually memory manufactures still strictly manufacture memory in terms of decimal units with a byte as the lowest common denominator. So whenever you see MB on whatever info box and not MiB it is definitely megabytes. So in this case it is 1.28GB VRAM.

Give it up mate!

UnrealEck

i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
6GB RAM
GTX 770 2GB

Everything maxed except textures set to high (yes not medium!)
Tesselation off.
1920x1080

Generally getting around 55 FPS.

Smokey

With HD Texture Pack Installed @ 4k

Ignore the shitty compression by imgur. Game is using 6036MB VRAM at 4k. Got 28fps at end of benchmark

You can see the other 2 cards are at 14% usage. Need dat SLI profile.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah during gameplay I'm getting dips to the 50s with everything Ultra at 1920x1200 on the 780.

So, in my amateur opinion 3GB is probably still shy of what you need, but just barely.

stufte

With HD Texture Pack Installed @ 4k

Ignore the shitty compression by imgur. Game is using 6036MB VRAM at 4k. Got 28fps at end of benchmark

You can see the other 2 cards are at 14% usage. Need dat SLI profile.

I might hold off for a day or two to see if a profile shows up.

My 690 is crying.

This benchmark is bizarre. Despite no noticeable drops at all from 60 apparently my minimum fps is 33. Weird.

EDIT: Hmm. That steam id trick doesn't seem to be working for me. No download is happenin. It just flashed to my games library.

bodine1231

Upgrading to the Ultra textures BARELY affected the benchmark at all. It dipped around 59ish during the explosion (was 65ish before), that's about it, on a 970.

Nice! This will be the first game I use Gsync and my 970 with and it may not even need it.

UnrealEck

Why? Its very demanding?

I'll try with it on but usually tesselation is quite demanding.

edit: doesn't seem like enabling it really affects performance noticeably.
Getting about 55 FPS completely maxed with high textures.
I'm sure it'll drop a bit when the action gets thicker.

Top Bottom