• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Themes incoming for PS4 2.0 and PSVita 3.30

Unless something has changed or come up internally...

2.0 will be out before or on October 7th, according to the (albeit google translated) press release regarding the glacial white PS4 in Japan.

I do remember hearing/reading about 2.0 coming out Sept 26 during the TGS presser but never found any other source or instance to back this up...

Also to those bitching about DLNA support and suspend and resume support....

DLNA is a lot more involved than just slapping hooks into system to allow functionality, if Sony wants to duplicate what they did with DLNA on PS3 a lot of red tape is involved as they included DTCP-IP support which is a proprietary, licensed system that allows the playback of Copy-Once channels that are streamed from devices like HDHomerun Prime.

A lot of devices that DLNA certified do not support the protocol.

The suspend/resume is also a not an easy programming task, FreeBSD and NetBSD (the OS the PS4 system software is run on) doesn't officially support (it's implemented but it's about as stable as Ford Pinto in terms reliability and compatibility) suspending and resume OS.

Add the fact that the PS4 uses a unique memory pool that's not used on most systems and also has a separate processor with its own architecture and memory (ARM-based with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM) is something that isn't implemented in a few weeks but months as it's system function that has to account for the bulk of the contents in memory.
Good find, followed your link and it mentions in the post confirming Firmware 2.0 would occur Oct 7th:

■ PlayStation®4
Launched on Thursday, October 9, 2014 at 39,980 yen + tax suggested retail price, PS4 ™ the "Glacier White"
It corresponds to the theme set by the system software version 2.00
It suggest that a Theme supported by Firmware 2.0 would be included with the Launch of the White PS4. Tidux is also saying Driveclub will be released after Firmware 2.0 which requires a Oct 7th firmware update.

RE: DLNA on the PS4, I agree but would add that if they want the PS4 certified as a DLNA 2.0 platform (DLNA CVP2 or VidiPath) they must support the 3 box DLNA model. That requires AOAC DLNA remote control by a Handheld and pass through of CEC commands to control volume and turn on of the stereo or TV. That requires several power modes and likely the Suspend/resume power mode for games comes first.

DTCP-IP will be a subset of Playready or WMDRM10 if the PS4 is to support DLNA 2.0 = DLNA CVP2 = VidiPath. That is an integral part of the protected world of the ARM trustzone player. If Playready support has been implemented then the routines should already contain DTCP-IP as the same hardware codecs running under ARM trustzone management will be used for the Blu-Ray, HTML5 <video> and DLNA player.

Suspend resume is the easiest way to implement APD (Auto Power Down) which is a voluntary power reduction feature that would have been required by the EU and Energy Star. It's speculated that APD might require the game to be installed on the hard disk. This in turn is what created the fervor over AOAC and the misunderstood requirement for always connected to a network for DRM.

Sony plans for the PS4 to be a media hub in the home and my take is that it will support h.265 and transcode to other platforms in the home...serving to them via DLNA and eventually acting as a DVR for Cable and OTA TV. Sony plans to implement a IPTV Network by the end of the year first with the PS4.

Oppo

Would be sort of darkly funny if Sony ended up beating Xbox on the "TV" front. X1 has DLNA coming as well, but they spent all that silicon budget on realtime overlays and passthrough for old fashioned cable which might end up seeming very backwards very soon.

Here's hoping that date is accurate.

I wonder if they're preparing something for today or tomorrow. I keep getting this error on the blog every now and then.

Error 50x
An error has occurred… We have been notified about this issue and will get it resolved shortly…

Edit: The custom Tensilica DSP IP in the ARM second custom chip as Southbridge will handle Audio features like MP3 and DTS audio for the blu-ray player, in fact Tensilica DSP SoCs are included in some blu-ray players. But Sony has said the DSPs in the PS4 can do 300 MP3 streams at the same time. This I believe makes the Tensilica DSP a Dataplane Processor (DPU) which combines the strength of CPUs, DSPs, and custom logic , often with 10-to-100X the performance. DPUs can do audio and video processing, codecs (h.265) as well as gesture and audio recognition.

Early NeoGAF discussion had information from several sources.

That MP3 support comes so late might be related to the CUSTOM nature of the Tensilica DSP chip. If it is a custom Dataplane processor designed to support a 10 year life for both audio and video then it's likely responsible for the delays...

In the following picture, the part in blue is the DPU, the parts in grey are work the DPU can offload from the functions in grey. The only surprises in the custom chip being a DPU would be: 1) Video Codec ability (h.265), 2) Gesture/video processing and VR, 3) Low power second smaller GPU

diagram-dataplane-n-sm.jpg

androvsky

PS Nation has been suggesting that 2.0 is coming in November, and they've been saying that since before 2.0 was even announced at Gamescom.

Oh, iirc it's not going to have folders.

On Demand

Banned
PS Nation has been suggesting that 2.0 is coming in November, and they've been saying that since before 2.0 was even announced at Gamescom.

Oh, iirc it's not going to have folders.

If 2.0. doesn't have any requested features there's something seriously wrong with Sony's software team.

VanWinkle

If 2.0. doesn't have any requested features there's something seriously wrong with Sony's software team.

Yeah, seriously. If all it had was themes and that share play thing, meaning pretty much nothing people have been asking for, that would be horrific.

androvsky

I got the impression that it will have more than what's been announced, just not folders. And I'm having trouble finding the post where that was said, so I could be wrong about that rumor too.

Yeah, seriously. If all it had was themes and that share play thing, meaning pretty much nothing people have been asking for, that would be horrific.

SharePlay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> folders

2.0 also comes with Youtube support and uploading direct to Youtube.

So .. that minor shareplay thing ( which is going to be unbelievable ), themes, youtube uploading and support, and whatever else they come up with.

VanWinkle

So .. that minor shareplay thing ( which is going to be unbelievable ), themes, youtube uploading and support, and whatever else they come up with.

I'm somewhat cautiously optimistic about SharePlay. We'll see how well it really works and what restrictions it has before I get too excited.

I am quite confused how sonys software team cannot build upon its feature to what it is today a year after launch. Apart from bug fixes, stability updates and adding share features there hasn't been anything of significance throughout the year. Someone needs to light the fire under them and I hope 2.0 delivers more than share play and themes.

There seems to be a disappointment lag of urgency on the software front and hoping 2.0 and beyond fixes that

xtradi

Banned
Good find, followed your link and it mentions in the post confirming Firmware 2.0 would occur Oct 7th:

It suggest that a Theme supported by Firmware 2.0 would be included with the Launch of the White PS4. Tidux is also saying Driveclub will be released after Firmware 2.0 which requires a Oct 7th firmware update.

RE: DLNA on the PS4, I agree but would add that if they want the PS4 certified as a DLNA 2.0 platform (DLNA CVP2 or VidiPath) they must support the 3 box DLNA model. That requires AOAC DLNA remote control by a Handheld and pass through of CEC commands to control volume and turn on of the stereo or TV. That requires several power modes and likely the Suspend/resume power mode for games comes first.

DTCP-IP will be a subset of Playready or WMDRM10 if the PS4 is to support DLNA 2.0 = DLNA CVP2 = VidiPath. That is an integral part of the protected world of the ARM trustzone player. If Playready support has been implemented then the routines should already contain DTCP-IP as the same hardware codecs running under ARM trustzone management will be used for the Blu-Ray, HTML5 <video> and DLNA player.

Suspend resume is the easiest way to implement APD (Auto Power Down) which is a voluntary power reduction feature that would have been required by the EU and Energy Star. It's speculated that APD might require the game to be installed on the hard disk. This in turn is what created the fervor over AOAC and the misunderstood requirement for always connected to a network for DRM.

Sony plans for the PS4 to be a media hub in the home and my take is that it will support h.265 and transcode to other platforms in the home...serving to them via DLNA and eventually acting as a DVR for Cable and OTA TV. Sony plans to implement a IPTV Network by the end of the year first with the PS4.

Is IPTV Network is going to be announce on Sony's PlayStation Experience on Vegas ?

I just want good old plain DLNA like in PS3 or Smart TV now and 2.0 later.

Lucent

Agreed. I'd love a way to have a more organized setup of games shown on the screen or at least have the library set to the very left instead of the very right end. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the shareplay stuff. That's something they advertised when showing off the PS4 and something I've wanted.

Aces&Eights

I'm somewhat cautiously optimistic about SharePlay. We'll see how well it really works and what restrictions it has before I get too excited.

Agreed. SharePlay almost sounds too good to be true. If it delivers as promised without ridiculous restrictions then it will be a big time feature. Forget watching Let's Plays, just jump into a buddies game and see for myself.

lewisgone

I know it won't be 2.0 but I'm getting frustrated that Sony still doesn't allow for changes to usernames. They said in April they were considering it, and since then no news on the subject. My username isn't terrible I just think it could be nicer....I hope they release a tool to do so at least at the end of this year. Also, if we hide games from our trophy list from appearing on our profile, why do they not get hidden from us? My trophy list is cluttered from PS+ games I barely touched and don't plan on returning too.

PSNs shortcomings are only going to get more unforgivable as PS4 continues forward with a paid subscription for online play. Hopefully now the PS4 has been out for a year and more and more of it's glaring missing features are fixed, Sony can start to focus on smaller additions as well.

On PS Vita themes, they're nice but I prefer my custom wallpapers after trying both setups out. Which makes the update frustrating, since loading times for background images on the home screen has now increased. Sad face.

Agreed. SharePlay almost sounds too good to be true. If it delivers as promised without ridiculous restrictions then it will be a big time feature. Forget watching Let's Plays, just jump into a buddies game and see for myself.

Hell yeah. Can't wait to see a game on a buddies list, have him turn it on and jump in to play for an hour. Get to test it out myself before considering a purchase.

I'll take shit like that, something never before done, over anything else this early in the generation.

I got the impression that it will have more than what's been announced, just not folders. And I'm having trouble finding the post where that was said, so I could be wrong about that rumor too.

It will likely have more than what was announced, but I'm doubtful it will contain much of the highly requested features. They would be shouting it from the rooftops if it did. I honestly hope Pachter is right about the upcoming NPD results. Sony needs a kick in the pants. I really shouldn't be surprised, the OS team didn't do much apart from PS+ the second half of last generation.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I am quite confused how sonys software team cannot build upon its feature to what it is today a year after launch. Apart from bug fixes, stability updates and adding share features there hasn't been anything of significance throughout the year. Someone needs to light the fire under them and I hope 2.0 delivers more than share play and themes.

There seems to be a disappointment lag of urgency on the software front and hoping 2.0 and beyond fixes that

I don't know that it's a lack of urgency, it may just be an issue regarding talent, or man power in terms of the team size. Look the amount of time it took to fix some really basic things on the PS3 xmb (i mean cmon the whole clock debacle was ridiculous)

whitehawk

Banned
Totally forgot about shareplay. That's going to be awesome. It basically means that games that are only local multiplayer (sports friends, octo-dad) can now be played online.

Top Bottom