• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable II Thread

Grecco said:
Did you keep the Archons dream or give it back?

I gave it to her. I had plenty of money by that point and I was playing a 'holier than thou' character anyway. Which is strange, since I kept the Hollowmen Crystal and sold it for megabucks

sennin

Costanza said:
I think you can give like a million gold to a beggar and go from 100% evil to 100% good.

200 grand is all you need to move the bar from the extreme evil to the other side of good. Or at least, very close. Further, you don't need to give money to a beggar, anyone who can accept gifts will do.

Grecco said:
Did you keep the Archons dream or give it back?

I gave it back, she rewards you with something like 20 or 50 grand.

Grecco

I gave it back too i was just wondering if it was worth keeping. I kinda do need some money for the 2.5m thing.

Also anyone have the Book Dog Tricks roll Over they can send me. I think thats what i need for the completionist thing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
sionyboy said:
I gave it to her. I had plenty of money by that point and I was playing a 'holier than thou' character anyway. Which is strange, since I kept the Hollowmen Crystal and sold it for megabucks

Where might I find this artefact of which you speak? One of the mansions?

Jedeye Sniv said:
Where might I find this artefact of which you speak? One of the mansions?

Pretty sure the mission becomes available when you purchase the Cemetery Mansion, you'll gain access to the Shelley Crypt which is where that paticular mission takes place.... I think that's right :/

StranGER

any way to give gifts to another profile on your system.

my girl started a game which is amazing cuz she hates games and i wanna send her some cash since i have over a million to spare.

Eteric Rice

Hey guys.

So I'm doing a certain quest, and this statue wants me to make a certain pose. I think its the pose of a chicken, but I don't have it.

How do I get it?

Edit: Nevermind.

Drek

Should I expect to find any better weapons than the Master level weapons in the game?

I got the Hammerthryst and McGraw's cleaver, both would've been great but I got a master battle axe with two augments (ghoul and shock) and it has significantly higher damage.

The game has a lot of great aspects but it is all done in such a shallow world. Not enough family options, feels a little scripted in that regard, weapon and clothing options aren't really diverse enough, list goes on.

Great gameplay, just flat out not enough done to fill it out.

jmoe316

So I downloaded that DLC from the marketplace but can't seem to get the items. It's in the chest by the cullis gate in the guild correct? I already opened that chest at the beginning of the game (I think to get the fable 2 items from the game's website like the chicken suit).

Does this mean I can't get it with my current character and have to start a new one to get the items?

Thanks.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
jmoe316 said:
So I downloaded that DLC from the marketplace but can't seem to get the items. It's in the chest by the cullis gate in the guild correct? I already opened that chest at the beginning of the game (I think to get the fable 2 items from the game's website like the chicken suit).

Does this mean I can't get it with my current character and have to start a new one to get the items?

Thanks.
What items are you trying to get?

I got the Chicken Suit from Fable2.com before the game came out, and it was in that chest day one. The other day I did the other 2 crowns in the evening, went on the game the following afternoon and all the stuff was in the same chest.

JayDubya

Banned
Drek said:
Should I expect to find any better weapons than the Master level weapons in the game?

I got the Hammerthryst and McGraw's cleaver, both would've been great but I got a master battle axe with two augments (ghoul and shock) and it has significantly higher damage.

The game has a lot of great aspects but it is all done in such a shallow world. Not enough family options, feels a little scripted in that regard, weapon and clothing options aren't really diverse enough, list goes on.

Great gameplay, just flat out not enough done to fill it out.

The Daichi is better than anything.
Brightwood Tower quest.

JBuccCP

I just beat the game as my pure evil and corrupt character. Was somewhat letdown by the ending.
The "Perfect Day" part simply made no sense if you're completely evil. At that point if my sister was still around I probably would have cooked and eaten her. Then, similar to Mass Effect, you can run around being an evil dick, but you still have to save the day in the end no matter what. I really wanted to join Luicen or use the Spire myself and take over the world. Lame. Instead Kre...I mean Theresa gets to. I understand they're probably setting up a sequel and so need certain things to happen a certain way, but I'd rather they give you the choice then just ignore it as far as the "canon" goes.

I didn't feel any of the three choices fit my character either. Obviously Love and Sacrifice don't, but the money one wasn't the kind of evil I was going for. There should have been a "power" choice that maxed out all your stats or something.

I have another character that I'm playing as good, and the game really seems to have been better designed for playing as good.

Amir0x

Banned
fuck Banshee killed my fucking wife, that mother fucker!

Also some asshole tried to bribe me for my infidelity, so i went to kill him... i didn't realize my children tagged along. I murdered them in front of their eyes! Then my little bitch snitch children got the guards on me! Also guards now go "I'll keep my eye on you... MURDERER" :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
sennin said:
Money, my friend, can solve all your morality issues in Fable II.

Lost exp during your stay at the Spire by giving the pitiful prisoners food? Refused to kill Bob because you're a saint? Defying the Commandant's wishes and the collar's working its evil grip on you? No problem! Buy 4/5 star exp potions and you get back what you lost!

Oh yes, you can even recover from the second "morality trial" in the game... but the end game? That will probably be the most difficult part of the game for everyone, no matter which side you're playing.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
This game doesn't make sense sometimes. Spouse is happy with everything but I go chop wood and I get divorced. WTH? :lol

Nutter

JBuccCP said:
I just beat the game as my pure evil and corrupt character. Was somewhat letdown by the ending.
The "Perfect Day" part simply made no sense if you're completely evil. At that point if my sister was still around I probably would have cooked and eaten her. Then, similar to Mass Effect, you can run around being an evil dick, but you still have to save the day in the end no matter what. I really wanted to join Luicen or use the Spire myself and take over the world. Lame. Instead Kre...I mean Theresa gets to. I understand they're probably setting up a sequel and so need certain things to happen a certain way, but I'd rather they give you the choice then just ignore it as far as the "canon" goes.

I didn't feel any of the three choices fit my character either. Obviously Love and Sacrifice don't, but the money one wasn't the kind of evil I was going for. There should have been a "power" choice that maxed out all your stats or something.

I have another character that I'm playing as good, and the game really seems to have been better designed for playing as good.

Wow, that is exactly my beef with both of those games as well.
Why let you completely choose your own path and then not have the ending according to what you did. Knights of the old Republic handled this very well imo. Though I think if Lionhead takes the free choose your own path idea to its limits Fable could be an extremely impressive game.

-I want the option to join the damn bandits.
-Have my very own "city" where there are "bad" people living there.

-Have certain spells based on your alliance. (bad or good)
-Make it harder to go from good to bad. and bad to good. (im talking about 100% good guy going evil just by killing off a village)(it should be harder than just that)

sennin

firehawk12 said:
Oh yes, you can even recover from the second "morality trial" in the game... but the end game? That will probably be the most difficult part of the game for everyone, no matter which side you're playing.

Hmm, we are going to have to agree to disagree here. I typed out a post on why I felt the ending was crap. This part addresses choices and morality at the endgame.

Finally, the 3 "choices" given at the end aren't really tests of values. From a pragmatic point, everyone wants the dog, for he's the only clue to finding buried treasures without losing your sanity in some of the postgame quests, and more importantly a tool to fully experiencing the game. From a roleplay perspective, this self-serving justification is one an evil character will take, "fuck the world, I need my dog to find buried treasure! Too bad for you weak folks!" An evil character who is smart will not choose money over the dog when he can exploit the proletarians for easy cash by raising rent and prices. A good character will not choose money either, for his noble self will value lives over material gains.

If there is a conflict of values, it is merely a shallow one of society vs. family. Fable II's cutscens focuses so much on the Hero's life being a parallel to Lucien's tragedy that it will result in the same path. Did the game go out of its way to make you feel attached to the common folks of Albion? If anything the game tells you that people of Albion who are in bliss care not for your personal tragedies. In fact, to prevent such tragedies from happening it is best to erase all roots of jealousy, hence if the Hero has a happy family he will not turn into another Lucien.

So how is the player coerced into thinking that these are "tough choices", when all roads point to one clear path?

Amir0x

Banned
Basically I think the problem with a lot of games which approach morality is this: the fear of permanence. These games are afraid to force a player to live with his actions throughout the course of an entire quest. In other words, it is far too easy to weasel your way out of a decision via some backdoor gameplay element. So, if you murder someone you may in fact be able to become good by donating to a temple. Or doing charity work.

In real life, when you slaughter someone you become a fugitive, and get arrested. If a guard sees you, you will be caught and sent to prison - not asked to pay a fine. When you get out of prison, people will not forget you killed someone if you give them a chocolate.

These games need to embrace your moral foibles and make it a patchwork of your character. You may be forgiven for stealing in the general public, though that specific family may never trust you again. You may make allies with a darker crowd, but the law-abiding citizens would never again accept you among their ranks. So, have a way to disguise yourself or something... but don't allow gamers to just flex out of any situation. This removes any real sense of urgency to decision-making.

Nutter

Amir0x said:
Basically I think the problem with a lot of games which approach morality is this: the fear of permanence. These games are afraid to force a player to live with his actions throughout the course of an entire quest. In other words, it is far too easy to weasel your way out of a decision via some backdoor gameplay element. So, if you murder someone you may in fact be able to become good by donating to a temple. Or doing charity work.

In real life, when you slaughter someone you become a fugitive, and get arrested. If a guard sees you, you will be caught and sent to prison - not asked to pay a fine. When you get out of prison, people will not forget you killed someone if you give them a chocolate.

These games need to embrace your moral foibles and make it a patchwork of your character. You may be forgiven for stealing in the general public, though that specific family may never trust you again. You may make allies with a darker crowd, but the law-abiding citizens would never again accept you among their ranks. So, have a way to disguise yourself or something... but don't allow gamers to just flex out of any situation. This removes any real sense of urgency to decision-making.
That pretty much sums it up. I went from being a total Jackass full evil when I was completing the Story, and afterwards, I just lowered everybodies rent and did some "good" quests and well... now I am a 100% pure and nice guy. :/ (it is just way to easy)

Twig

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yeah, I agree.

I think the permanent results of choices you make during childhood is a good start. Buuuuut. That's just environmental. I want to see permanent changes in the way people react to me. And I don't want it to ever change.

Also: I don't just mean people fucking running away and screaming like little babies.

Furthermore, and maybe I'm alone in this, I kind of don't like how being evil makes you fugly as shit. I want to be the best-looking evil sumbitch I can. Why doesn't
Reaver
have horns?

My second character is a chick. And she's like dark grey with red veins all over her. Which, I mean, is all right. But what if I don't like that? I have to be good?

Then again, I guess that's a sort of "permanence" right there. Just not the kind I actually want to see.

Twig

Banned
vhfive said:
has anyone beaten the westcliff shooting range
if so any tips

i have gotten 162 as my highest
Use a 6-shot pistol that reloads fast. Get headshots.

I've also heard that it gets easier later in the game. Spoilers:
But only if you pay Barnum 5k BEFORE going to the Spire.

GhaleonEB

I've never played a game that allowed me to harass, anger, insult, murder, execute and generally be a complete asshole to NPC's to this degree.

God I love this game.

quick question, Im up to one of the final quest but I cant quick travel to it, just says that I haven't discovered this part of the map yet, do I have to travel by foot (how do I know where to go without breadcrumbs) or is this a bug, I never had a main quest tell me this, just side missions.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Amir0x said:

QFT

This kind of thing is usually born of a production decision. Producers forget gamers don't give a fuck if they don't see all the game in one playthrough if they're having a great time. If they enjoy it enough, they may come back and see the rest.

Producer logic - I want all our work, to be seen by everybody.

Twig

Banned
boutrosinit said:
QFT

This kind of thing is usually born of a production decision. Producers forget gamers don't give a fuck if they don't see all the game in one playthrough if they're having a great time. If they enjoy it enough, they may come back and see the rest.

Producer logic - I want all our work, to be seen by everybody.
I uh. I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

I think that a lot of game developers (whether or not Lionhead is one of those developers, I couldn't say) actually WOULD like to add more, I dunno, permanence to their games.

However, I have seen countless times people saying things like, "When do I need to save the game in order to see both endings?" or "It sucks that I have to play through the game more than once to see it all."

I submit that it's pansy-ass gamers afraid of permanent consequences that are the real cause of all this. Developers want as many people as possible to play and like their games. Anything to make more people like it. Etc. Now, of course, maybe you could say it's the developer's fault for giving into gamers' depends.

THAT IS MY OPINION ANYWAY.

gray_fox224

Has anyone ever come across major chugs in framerate when playing? I had to restart the game because it the game started to look like a sideshow.

gray_fox224 said:
Has anyone ever come across major chugs in framerate when playing? I had to restart the game because it the game started to look like a sideshow.

happened once to me in oaksville, it was horrible.

vhfive said:
has anyone beaten the westcliff shooting range
if so any tips

i have gotten 162 as my highest
Clockwork Pistol and pray you do well enough. Just banged my head against it for 20 minutes until I scraped by with 176.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
sennin said:
Hmm, we are going to have to agree to disagree here. I typed out a post on why I felt the ending was crap. This part addresses choices and morality at the endgame.

Finally, the 3 "choices" given at the end aren't really tests of values. From a pragmatic point, everyone wants the dog, for he's the only clue to finding buried treasures without losing your sanity in some of the postgame quests, and more importantly a tool to fully experiencing the game. From a roleplay perspective, this self-serving justification is one an evil character will take, "fuck the world, I need my dog to find buried treasure! Too bad for you weak folks!" An evil character who is smart will not choose money over the dog when he can exploit the proletarians for easy cash by raising rent and prices. A good character will not choose money either, for his noble self will value lives over material gains.

If there is a conflict of values, it is merely a shallow one of society vs. family. Fable II's cutscens focuses so much on the Hero's life being a parallel to Lucien's tragedy that it will result in the same path. Did the game go out of its way to make you feel attached to the common folks of Albion? If anything the game tells you that people of Albion who are in bliss care not for your personal tragedies. In fact, to prevent such tragedies from happening it is best to erase all roots of jealousy, hence if the Hero has a happy family he will not turn into another Lucien.

So how is the player coerced into thinking that these are "tough choices", when all roads point to one clear path?

See, one of the tests of faith that Job suffers is the loss of his wife and children. Job has always been faithful to God and even after suffering the three trials, from the loss of his wealth to his health to his family, he remains pious to God and refuses to lose faith. He knows that he hasn't sinned and doesn't deserve punishment, but accepts it anyway rather than question the will God him/itself. That's my interpretation of The Book of Job given my non-Christian leanings anyway. :lol

Now, it's not that cut and dry in the game I suppose... because the game isn't trying to convince you that shit happens in life and you have to get over it, but I think the same thing applies to the choices in the game.

For the final choice, I think the "bad" choice is the fake out. Depending on how much time you spend buying property and investing, you'll be rich by the time you get to the end game anyway.

Between the Sacrifice and Love choices, if you are truly roleplaying a "good" character and believe that being good is better than your own self interests, you'll HAVE to choose sacrifice. The problem is, in The Book of Job, Job gets it both ways. He is able to lose everything to prove his piety and then at the end, God rewards him by giving him more money and bringing back his health and his family. Here, you aren't so lucky - you choose Sacrifice for the sake of being good. There's no happy ending if you choose to be good, you just have to live with the fact that you made the "right" and "moral" and "unselfish choice" and hope that helps you sleep at night.

I think most people will choose the Love choice because they feel it's the compromise choice between the two extremes. And it is. Molyneux wanted to make it extremely difficult to be a good character and it progressively gets more difficult to do so. Losing XP? Not a big deal. Permanent scarring? A big deal, but you can dye your hair and whatnot. Losing your family, your dog and a chance to save your sister (remember that you spend a "perfect day" with her after Lucien shoots you!)? That's the tough choice. Even if you don't care about your spouse or your sister, chances are you care about your dog... and you'll make the selfish choice and choose to keep your dog over doing the right thing. It's the ultimate test of faith if you're playing a pious character and chances are, most people will fail. I know I went with the dog, even though I played the rest of the game as "good" as possible.
Maybe I'm reading too much into the game, I'm not sure. But that's what I see anyway.

Roxas

So i decided to take the
gender changing potion you get in castle fairfax
and now my child is calling me mummy and calling my wife daddy :\ WTF

bj00rn_

Banned
gray_fox224 said:

Happened to me once. I just saved the game, went to the main menu and reloaded the save. Haven't happened since.

Anyway, I just have to say it again: God I love this game...

Roxas said:
So i decided to take the
gender changing potion you get in castle fairfax
and now my child is calling me mummy and calling my wife daddy :\ WTF

Well, I think we all know who wears the trousers strap-on in that relationship :p

Wraith

The combat system required no finesse or real thought. Go in guns blazing, switch out to your melee weapon when enemies close/there are too many, roll away/will if you get overwhelmed, rinse and repeat. It was basically a button-masher. Seems hard to laud it as the best RPG combat system ever, but you're entitled to your opinion.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Wraith said:
The combat system required no finesse or real thought. Go in guns blazing, switch out to your melee weapon when enemies close/there are too many, roll away/will if you get overwhelmed, rinse and repeat. It was basically a button-masher. Seems hard to laud it as the best RPG combat system ever, but you're entitled to your opinion.

I don't know about you but when I had to do combat I did it tactically. The game tells you that Trolls are less resistent to X and Hollowmen to Y. In almost any other RPG you would be forced to use elemental weapons/magic what ever to overcome them but the game never forces you to play in one way. It's about playing it anyway you like. So you chose to frenetically press buttons then that was your choice but if someone wants to be be more strategic it more then allows for it. That's a great thing about it...

aesop

So, I just finished this up last night. I had been playing a good character the whole way through the game. To continue being a holier-than-thou do-gooder, I chose sacrifice. Big fucking mistake. I had assumed that even though I wouldn't get the same dog back, that I'd be able to get a new one. Guess I didn't pay attention enough because it seems like there was only one dog left in Albion. It was actually somewhat jarring to realize that I wouldn't get another dog and kinda killed the game for me. I'm not saying it ruined the entire experience, but now I feel like that character is worthless to me. Such is sacrifice, I suppose.

So, I'm screwed on finishing up the Archeology quests and finding the rest of the keys and legendary weapons that I didn't get. I've created a new character that I plan on making the evil incarnate, so I guess I'll just have to see if I have the patience to play through again.

Top Bottom