• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Lucent

Chapter 10 really starting to wear on me.

Never mind finished it, but I wonder how much you gotta do to get the goodies at the end

If you mean on the other side with the statue while fighting Laura you have to kill her so you don't initiate the cutscene of her chasing you to the elevator. But it takes a lot to kill her I guess.

Hey GAF!
I was thinking to buy a PS4 in order to play this game but now I'm a little confused. Besides the graphics, what is the difference between the PS3 and PS4 version?
Thanks!

I think load times are a bit longer than PS4?

Hey GAF!
I was thinking to buy a PS4 in order to play this game but now I'm a little confused. Besides the graphics, what is the difference between the PS3 and PS4 version?
Thanks!

I wouldn't buy a new console to play this game. This game is probably the worst (technically) next (or new) gen experience so far. Well, besides Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition :p

Mr. Tibbs

Adrian Chmielarz, The Astronauts, former People Can Fly, posted an excellent blog on why The Evil Witihn is his favorite game of 2014.

The Evil Within is clunky, outdated, often incompetent. It’s also the best game I've played this year.

I am yet to play The Walking Dead Season 2 and The Wolf Among Us, so, you know, maybe I’ll have a new GOTY next week. But for now, The Evil Within, this chaotic mess of badly implemented, tired designs is the game I enjoyed the most this year so far. Simply because it won me over with is sheer madness, incredible visual and audio stylization, and despite being a highly commercial video game published by a corporate giant, feeling like it’s personal.

Hey GAF!
Thanks!

If possible I would say get the pc version, the controls are much better with mouse&keyboard.
Framerate tweaks.
Etc.

Otherwise I dont think there is any difference besides graphics.

Chapter 10 and this game is progressively getting worse. It's making for good dumb video editing, but not much for actual enjoyment. Things are just so tacky from script, to controls, to enemy AI and deaths.

The only real good thing has been the memories of Resident Evil being rekindled within.

Lum1n3s

Oh hells yes! I just got the game for the pc as an anniversary present from my girl. Can't wait to get home and install it, coming in a Evil Within virgin seeing as how I avoided all videos/sneak peaks. Can't wait to see what's in store for me =).

*edit* Holy crap, I just opened the game case and there are 4 dad's in there... what is this a FF game from the PS1 era??

Oh hells yes! I just got the game for the pc as an anniversary present from my girl. Can't wait to get home and install it, coming in a Evil Within virgin seeing as how I avoided all videos/sneak peaks. Can't wait to see what's in store for me =).

*edit* Holy crap, I just opened the game case and there are 4 dad's in there... what is this a FF game from the PS1 era??

4 Dads?! Oh damn, each one passing judgement on you for going out with the daughter. Indeed... the Evil Within.

Glad I decided to pick up this game. I was always going to get it but I was going to wait for a sale, but since I finished Shadow of Mordor I was itching to play something new and went ahead and got this a couple days ago. I just finished chapter 5 those
damn invisible enemies kept messing me up lol

Ledhead

Just finished today. Clocked in at just under 13 hours with 46 deaths I believe. I'll definitely be holding on to this one to play through again in the future.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Chapter 5 and 6 back to back on a replay are still so good. 7 too.

Though I noticed something weird with the plot there,
you're trying to follow Kidman to the church and she clearly is with Leslie. Why didn't she just kill him here while they were alone since that is her goal?

Sanctuary

By current you mean Akumu?P

Yes, and at least 200 of them would be from chapter 6. I think chapter 6, one part of 10, most of 11 and much of 12 all suck for various reasons. You can be doing so well and then there's a single bullshit event that just feels like a wall to get lucky enough to bypass. Currently on chapter 14, about to hit another huge wall I think.

not only that, without having the freezing bolt yet, i feel totally defenseless D:

Out of the non DLC bolts, that's probably one of the least useful aside from 2-3 very specific encounters. Flash > Harpoon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spark > everything else.

RedSwirl

I just started a PS3 rental and got past Chapter 2. The main combat gameplay loop is pretty good. It's basically RE4 with some stealth thrown in along with the return of the burning mechanic from REmake. Reviews however make it seem like this game just doesn't have RE4's magnificent encounter design.

How long until you're out of the "tutorial" section of the game?

Bladenic

I just started a PS3 rental and got past Chapter 2. The main combat gameplay loop is pretty good. It's basically RE4 with some stealth thrown in along with the return of the burning mechanic from REmake. Reviews however make it seem like this game just doesn't have RE4's magnificent encounter design.

How long until you're out of the "tutorial" section of the game?

Chapter 3.

But up to Chapter 10, I've yet to have any encounters I would put on the same level as RE4's best.

Meia

Are people really having such a hard time with the invisible enemies? The levels they're in are littered with objects that are physics enabled, and it makes it obvious where they're moving because shit is getting knocked about. Also, if you're worried they're close to you, start meleeing like crazy, because it will not only force them to appear but also stagger them.

It's wild to me that so many people are having such problems with this.

It's like a few things in the game: They're not overly difficult, but in a game where every shot you fire really matters, having enemies with kind of bullshit mechanics doesn't help. For me, first thing I upgrade was critical chance with the handgun, so most enemies take 1 or 2 shots to the head to put down permanently. Then you run into enemies you can't see the head of...

I'll throw the
two headed enemies in here too. First head goes down easy, but there's no "quick" way to kill these stupid things. Can't be lit on fire, can't be stealth killed, can't pick off the second head without multiple shots.

Enemies that kind of fly in the face of design just kind of feel like bullshit.

Mupod

Finally got some time to play again - finished Chapter 10, which sure was long.

I guess I see a lot of people praising this chapter, I dunno if I'd call it my favorite. Time for spoiler bars:

Not a fan of the trial and error instant kills I had to deal with, what's worse is they put them after a major enemy encounter. At least I got pretty good at fighting Not-Garradors and took out all 3 with only a few freeze bolts, harpoons and shotgun shells.

The Laura section was a bit tedious, but I like the idea that they tried to make kind of an evolution of the Verdugo encounter. I do have one question - at the start of the 'fire valves' section, there's a statue and some green goo behind bars to the left. I figured I'd get back there eventually and be able to loot everything, but I never got to that part of the level. Did I have to turn some corner while being chased?

The boss fight was definitely the highlight of the chapter...I actually beat it on my first try. But it was hectic and I couldn't believe I actually pulled it off. It basically went like:

1. Flash bolt, because I found one nearby and assumed it'd work because video games. It did! I shot some of the dudes on his back with harpoons.
2. Tried to flash bolt again. Oh fuck, doesn't work now. Run like a bitch.
3. Get run over a bunch of times, and duck into the small side room. Grab the stuff, then stay in there and shoot him a bit even though I know that won't end well. He grabs my ass and throws me through the wall, but damage was minimal.
4. Try to blow him up using exploding barrels, hit him with one of them but get run over a bunch of times. Now at like 2% health.
5. Hide in the second safe room. Grab stuff. Use large medkit (still had 3, might as well get some bonus max hp) and stand there like a drunk idiot until boss throws me through the wall.
6. Lead him to the other barrels, shoot them which sets him on fire and apparently causes him to trigger the wall explosive.
7. Notice he's now got a BIG GLOWING WEAK SPOT. As he bears down on me I pull out the sniper rifle and somehow manage to land perfect shots over and over, with my last sniper bullet he falls over dead.

Jesus christ. I mean, first try or not that sure didn't feel easy. Really felt like a good Resident Evil boss.

Papercuts

It's like a few things in the game: They're not overly difficult, but in a game where every shot you fire really matters, having enemies with kind of bullshit mechanics doesn't help. For me, first thing I upgrade was critical chance with the handgun, so most enemies take 1 or 2 shots to the head to put down permanently. Then you run into enemies you can't see the head of...

I'll throw the
two headed enemies in here too. First head goes down easy, but there's no "quick" way to kill these stupid things. Can't be lit on fire, can't be stealth killed, can't pick off the second head without multiple shots.

You can burn the two headed guys, but stealth won't work.

AFAIK the fastest thing to do is snipe the monster head since that kills the body. Harpoons are strong too.

For the invisible guys you can see them with the crossbow reticule, or look in the environment for a cue they're nearby and shotgun them and burn. Handgun in general isn't a great weapon to use for them either way.

Finally got some time to play again - finished Chapter 10, which sure was long.

I guess I see a lot of people praising this chapter, I dunno if I'd call it my favorite. Time for spoiler bars:

Not a fan of the trial and error instant kills I had to deal with, what's worse is they put them after a major enemy encounter. At least I got pretty good at fighting Not-Garradors and took out all 3 with only a few freeze bolts, harpoons and shotgun shells.

The Laura section was a bit tedious, but I like the idea that they tried to make kind of an evolution of the Verdugo encounter. I do have one question - at the start of the 'fire valves' section, there's a statue and some green goo behind bars to the left. I figured I'd get back there eventually and be able to loot everything, but I never got to that part of the level. Did I have to turn some corner while being chased?

The elevator goodies requires you to kill Laura and not run. That cutscene won't trigger and all of that stuff is to the right of it.

But that arena is not easy to actually fight in and she takes a hell of a beating.

Mupod

Those got a little easier once
I realized that the monster head is the 'real' head. Sniper rifle got the job done.

They CAN be burned, but the positioning for them is wonky. I actually killed a lot of them with traps. Also, one of those fuckers burst out a RE4-style parasite when I was trying to lead him to a dead body for burning and I damn near shit myself.

The elevator goodies requires you to kill Laura and not run. That cutscene won't trigger and all of that stuff is to the right of it.

But that arena is not easy to actually fight in and she takes a hell of a beating.

Well, shit.
I figured she was invincible so didn't really try.

-MD-

I do have one question - at the start of the 'fire valves' section, there's a statue and some green goo behind bars to the left. I figured I'd get back there eventually and be able to loot everything, but I never got to that part of the level. Did I have to turn some corner while being chased?

I believe you have to bust a right at the very end when you're running to the elevator, that's where it looked like it was to me. Didn't know how far Laura was behind me so I just entered the elevator so I didn't get to see for sure.

steven28

Finished the game a few days ago and i really liked it.The only thing i didn't like was the vagueness of the story and
sabastiens links with ruvic and why ruvic blamed sabastien for the burning down of the barn,
maybe it went over my head but that was something i didn't understand,also chapter 12 when you had to get to the
ambulance and hide from the turret
felt very clunky.The game was very fun for me and i don't have much to critisize about it.Great varitaion of environments,interesting creature design and boss fights,good gunplay,the game is a little rough around the edges but i still liked it alot.

It took me 16 hours and died 48 times

score 8.5/10

Sanctuary

I learned something interesting about the lockers and about the chapter 14 boss. Surprisingly, I only died once. But then five fully upgraded magnum shots to the face will do that.

Holy hell, Akumu mode is certainly no joke. I just finally made it to chapter 3 after failing the chapter 2 stealth gauntlet at least 30-40 times. Didn't use a single bullet on my successful run, though.

The increase in enemy awareness is insane. They apparently have eyes in the sides of their heads. Eyes made out of binoculars.

I had no problems with the stealth in Akumu, but that might be because I played my first run without the indicator and I sat patiently learning their patrol patterns. I also didn't die until chapter 5, and then left a mountain sized pile of corpses in chapter 6.
Tip for chapter 6:
Have Joseph stand at the top of the ladder directly to the right of where you grabbed the rifle and above the breakable boxes once the wave scenario starts. Park yourself in a corner and let Joseph chop bodies that climb up the ladder, only using a pistol or shotgun (or one-time melee weapon) to get enemies off of him that manage to grab him. You should be able to light every second or third corpse to hit the next enemy climbing up. Also, during the double gigante like fight, when Joseph keeps whining about how he can't do it alone; he can. Hide in the crawl space near area where the second guy spawned and just pop out to get their attention and crawl back in. Joseph will shoot his rifle and eventually finish them off.

Holy hell, Akumu mode is certainly no joke. I just finally made it to chapter 3 after failing the chapter 2 stealth gauntlet at least 30-40 times. Didn't use a single bullet on my successful run, though.

The increase in enemy awareness is insane. They apparently have eyes in the sides of their heads. Eyes made out of binoculars.

Papercuts

Those got a little easier once
I realized that the monster head is the 'real' head. Sniper rifle got the job done.

They CAN be burned, but the positioning for them is wonky. I actually killed a lot of them with traps. Also, one of those fuckers burst out a RE4-style parasite when I was trying to lead him to a dead body for burning and I damn near shit myself.

Well, shit.
I figured she was invincible so didn't really try.

I would never advise it during the first playthrough, haha.
You need to dump so much ammo that you would be in a really bad position for the boss right after it.

I learned something interesting about the lockers and about the chapter 14 boss. Surprisingly, I only died once. But then five fully upgraded magnum shots to the face will do that.

I had no problems with the stealth in Akumu, but that might be because I played my first run without the indicator and I sat patiently learning their patrol patterns. I also didn't die until chapter 5, and then left a mountain sized pile of corpses in chapter 6.

The problem wasn't the indicator or the patrol patterns. I definitely learned those well in my first 3 playthroughs. The problem was
double the enemies this time, including the extra 2 "surprise!" ones that activate when you burn the 2 on the ground near the gate.

Sanctuary

The problem wasn't the indicator or the patrol patterns. I definitely learned those well in my first 3 playthroughs. The problem was
double the enemies this time, including the extra 2 "surprise!" ones that activate when you burn the 2 on the ground near the gate.

I added some stuff about chapter 6 in my previous post. Anyway, as far as your spoiler is concerned...run back? I was surprised, but I was ready to run away, and they weren't really an issue.

Mupod

does nightmare not have the extra, uh, surprises that akumu has?

I have no interest in one hit death stuff but I love remixed difficulties.

Sanctuary

does nightmare not have the extra, uh, surprises that akumu has?

I have no interest in one hit death stuff but I love remixed difficulties.

I think Nightmare and Akumu are same as far as encounters go, although I won't know for sure until after I finish chapter 15 and actually play Nightmare. Someone was claiming that enemies in Akumu have less health than in Survival, but I don't know where they came up with that. Seems exactly the same.

Finally got the game today. I'm on Chapter 6 now and been loving the game. Chapter 5 sure was long!

Question for everyone playing on a PS4: Is it just my machine or the game makes the fan go like crazy? The only other game I have is Destiny and the console is quiet when I play it but not with TEW and it's seems that is only on some chapters.

Finished Chapter 5 hours ago. Probably won't finish the game before Halloween at the rate I'm going >.<

As for the chapter,
so glad I won't have to deal with that shrieking wench anymore

Just beat Ch 5 myself. Wow. Sense of accomplishment.

Taking it slow with this one. Probably gonna finish just in time for Sunset Overdrive/Lords of the Fallen. . . .

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Guys, I found it. The most twisted, insane and disturbing thing in this game. A fire alarm...ON THE FLOOR.

B0rkXFoIMAEh1pc.jpg:orig

This is barf inducing. He basically trashes the game, then admits to using God Mode to make it fun (then links his lame article about how god mode should be in every game or w/e).

EDIT: Also chapter 9
Ruvik
is a bitch lol. At least it got me using hiding places.

Lol I'd have assumed just he'd beeline to anywhere you were hiding regardless. I only ever tried hiding once from him though, didn't work out so well.

Guys, I found it. The most twisted, insane and disturbing thing in this game. A fire alarm...ON THE FLOOR.

Kick release lol

I think the most twisted insane thing in the game is a
statue tied to a crow flying in circles
2SPOOKY

Shauni

Man, as much as I do love this game, I will say that Chapter 10 is starting to wear me out. I don't know how many times I've died here, but I have to take a bit of a break.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, as much as I do love this game, I will say that Chapter 10 is starting to wear me out. I don't know how many times I've died here, but I have to take a bit of a break.
Same thing happened to me. 10's one hit kills around every corner wore me down and chapters 11 and 12 are just plain bad. Thankfully the game gets great again after that. If you're having trouble with 10, take a break and come back when you aren't tired. If you're off at all, that chapter is rough despite how cool it is.

This is barf inducing. He basically trashes the game, then admits to using God Mode to make it fun (then links his lame article about how god mode should be in every game or w/e).

EDIT: Also chapter 9
Ruvik
is a bitch lol. At least it got me using hiding places.

Yea seriously, WTF?! So basically he liked it as a movie but not as a game yet it's his favorite game of the year? He also bashes the fuck out of it and doesn't really make the positives sound very noteworthy. I personally like it as an actually challenging video game and don't think it'd be quite the same if I never had to worry about dying or my limited ammo. But that's just me. This guy sounds like he would've been better off watching someone else play the game while he eats popcorn.

Top Bottom