• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Ploid 3.0

I'm having so much fun with this game. Like I said earlier, I like the eliminator, and speed modes. I just played the speed mode on Scorched and I can't believe how fun it is. It's not just about racing normally like the GT reviewer said. I kept trying to position myself for maximum speed and aggressiveness in that event. It's like a puzzle or so. I can't explain it but it's very involving and fun. Racing is the last thing on my mind but I guess that's what I'm doing. My fingers were busy pressing gas, brakes, a touch of boost, a little ebrake, etc. I wonder, do anyone play this on the GT wheel?

The way the maps are made makes this game.

If this game had a video save function! And if that video save function allowed you to piece together your own cinematic angles and save (i.e. Driver on Playstation 1!) I would be "almost too perfect".

Edit: Oh also, not only am I trying to make sure I get all gold, but I have to do that time/crash limit thing as well. I don't usually do that type of stuff in games.

I don't like how the extra media section is mostly a slideshow. They go to Hawaii and don't include video? I'm hoping for a lot of video footage hidden somewhere behind those locked symbols. I got one that was about air though. It was pretty short, and the Monument Valley video.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I'm having so much fun with this game. Like I said earlier, I like the eliminator, and speed modes. I just played the speed mode on Scorched and I can't believe how fun it is. It's not just about racing normally like the GT reviewer said. I kept trying to position myself for maximum speed and aggressiveness in that event. It's like a puzzle or so. I can't explain it but it's very involving and fun. Racing is the last thing on my mind but I guess that's what I'm doing. My fingers were busy pressing gas, brakes, a touch of boost, a little ebrake, etc. I wonder, do anyone play this on the GT wheel?

Yeah the speed events are pretty fun. Plus they show you different lines/short cuts on the tracks you may have missed.

Negative on wheel support unfortunately. Earlier in the thread I was talking about how well they handled the rumble this time, I bet they could go to town with actual FFB. IIRC someone at Evo said they were considering it but gave some excuse about how it wouldn't fit for the bike/atv classes.

About online, is anyone else having trouble with the mics? Thats really my only complaint about online so far, the voice quality is awful and I have to practically shout for the game to pick up my voice. I'm using the official BT mic fwiw.

drugo

Best racing game of the year. :)

msprildrugo51iw7.jpg

msprildrugo53as2.jpg

msprildrugo76rx6.jpg

msprildrugo77cw5.jpg

msprildrugo80qz9.jpg

msprildrugo81bl0.jpg

msprildrugo83oa8.jpg

msprildrugo87qz7.jpg

msprildrugo89oa7.jpg

msprgiocatore19ws6.jpg

msprildrugo62cb1.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That's it, I can't hold out much longer. I'm playing this game today, count on it. Impressions later on :)!

Please do not disappoint, please do not disappoint (I doubt it though, since I must've put over 80 hours in the original).

Forsete

Gold Member
Seiken said:
That's it, I can't hold out much longer. I'm playing this game today, count on it. Impressions later on :)!

Please do not disappoint, please do not disappoint (I doubt it though, since I must've put over 80 hours in the original).

Since MS2 bitch-slaps MS1 pretty bad, I doubt you'll be disapointed. :D
RGOTY.

Erebus

I was listening to a podcast the other day (I think it was 1UP Yours) and I believe someone mentioned that when you play online matches on Motorstorm PR, the other players can listen to YOUR custom soundtrack!? Is this for real? :O

deepbrown

BeeDog said:
Aside from the aliasing, these aren't bullshots in any way right (no touching up at all)? Goddamn, lovely aestethics. Still haven't got my fucking copy, ARGH NEEEERD RAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEE
I took em. Exported em to XMB. Put them on USB drive. Put them on my compooter. Uploaded onto Photobucket. Posted on Gaf. :)

I need to take some more action shots.

MSPR_Player1_40.jpg

deepbrown

DarkUSS said:
I was listening to a podcast the other day (I think it was 1UP Yours) and I believe someone mentioned that when you play online matches on Motorstorm PR, the other players can listen to YOUR custom soundtrack!? Is this for real? :O
No custom soundtrack online. Not even your own. You have to be playing offline to have custom soundtrack.

GodofWine

neojubei said:
Whoa are these bull PR shots???????????

No, thats the game, and thats photomode..its amazing.

But..why do people get pissed when you nudge them to the side / into a tree / lava...I was told 'hey, thegodofwine, go fuck yourself' after a race:lol cause this guy was trying to get by me for a full lap, and all I did was make it tough to pass...I don't just ram people for no reason...I should add him as a friend.

(edit - when I have a monster truck...I may be a little rough :D )

Atomspike

GodofWine said:

But..why do people get pissed when you nudge them to the side / into a tree / lava...I was told 'hey, thegodofwine, go fuck yourself' after a race:lol cause this guy was trying to get by me for a full lap, and all I did was make it tough to pass...I don't just ram people for no reason...I should add him as a friend.

(edit - when I have a monster truck...I may be a little rough :D )
Well that's kinda the point of the game , races in Motorstorm are about battling for survival! you run over/push the bastard into annihilation, it could be you or him , it's fair game.

about some hilarious shit...
there was this guy on a bike in the lead position and me closely behind him on a monster truck fighting for the first spot just meters from the finish line, needless to say I blasted the boost button going on full throttle just to see the poor guy crumbling under my mighty tires , and getting the first spot in the process ,all i could hear is him screaming his lungs out through the mic "AGHHHHHH! BITCH YOU FUCKING BITCH AGHRDDGGHGHGHJGKHHHH" :lol :lol :lol

I recall no other game gives you this kind of satisfaction or feeling of jubilation , none!
what about some hilarious stories from you guys ?

Niks

GodofWine said:

Yeah its pretty nice.
I just wished it had more photo-options like Wipeout has (blur, field of depth etc) then it would be awesome!!

its so hard choosing between this and little big planet to play....

oh and I love that one of the Collosus Canyon races is called "Shadow of the..."

GodofWine

The Lamonster said:
I'll come back to it. Just sayin' that was my biggest gripe with the first game as well.

AI is unfair jerks.

Its gets tough...I was just messing with ya, I should have inserted a ;) to make that more evident.

roxya

So far I think the tracks are miles ahead of MS1's or any other offroad arcade racer, but I can't stand Sugar Rush. I mean, it looks nice and I wish I loved it, but it seems to be made for the purpose of making players crash over and over.

deepbrown

roxya said:
So far I think the tracks are miles ahead of MS1's or any other offroad arcade racer, but I can't stand Sugar Rush. I mean, it looks nice and I wish I loved it, but it seems to be made for the purpose of making players crash over and over.
Yeah I found that one hard. But I found an excellent route that I stick to almost religiously - and hardly ever crash :) I go up above on the roof...tis great. The speed race shows you a few good ways to go as well.

I find Scorched tough as well - mainly because of that forest bit where it's all windy.

Though it's almost impossible to get a gold on the speed races, they are a great adiditon - mainly because they show off all the cool routes. They've influenced a lot of my racing.

Kolgar

deepbrown said:
Nowhere near as bad as the first game.

No? Because I was on the bandwagon to buy this game, and in anticipation, played the original Motorstorm. About the fifth time I got sideswiped and shoved off the line by AI cars on the final stretch of one particular race, I quit out and changed my mind about Pacific Rift.

The AI's shenanigans in the original game were ridiculous. But I'd give Pacific Rift a shot if I knew the problem had been addressed.

deepbrown

Kolgar said:
No? Because I was on the bandwagon to buy this game, and in anticipation, played the original Motorstorm. About the fifth time I got sideswiped and shoved off the line by AI cars on the final stretch of one particular race, I quit out and changed my mind about Pacific Rift.

The AI's shenanigans in the original game were ridiculous. But I'd give Pacific Rift a shot if I knew the problem had been addressed.
It's been addressed. Evolution openly reported that winning was a racers last priority, behind taking you out. As far as I can tell, that has changed. Of course they ar battling - but they actualyl want to win and don't often risk crashing just to stop you from winning. Things heat up at around rank 7...and it can be frustrating - but I find it hilarious when they try to make me crash and they crash themselves to let me go past.

I stopped playing MS1 too, because i got so annoyed - the problem isn't in PR. They read the reviews...

Ploid 3.0

deepbrown said:
Yeah I found that one hard. But I found an excellent route that I stick to almost religiously - and hardly ever crash :) I go up above on the roof...tis great. The speed race shows you a few good ways to go as well.

I find Scorched tough as well - mainly because of that forest bit where it's all windy.

Though it's almost impossible to get a gold on the speed races, they are a great adiditon - mainly because they show off all the cool routes. They've influenced a lot of my racing.

I think I mastered Scorched. I just made a vid of it. I like it a lot now. Of course I played it over and over to adjust and get familiar with the track.

deepbrown said:
It's been addressed. Evolution openly reported that winning was a racers last priority, behind taking you out. As far as I can tell, that has changed. Of course they ar battling - but they actualyl want to win and don't often risk crashing just to stop you from winning. Things heat up at around rank 7...and it can be frustrating - but I find it hilarious when they try to make me crash and they crash themselves to let me go past.

I stopped playing MS1 too, because i got so annoyed - the problem isn't in PR. They read the reviews...

:lol I had a couple of those as well. I'm always on my toes, I race defensively and offensively.

wouwie

I still need 175 points to go to rank 8. But i honestly don't know where i'm going to get those points. I've got a feeling that this is my limit before hitting frustration. I had a blast though. My stats are telling me that i've been racing for about 28 hours so far (sp + mp). Which is far more than i had expected. And i might come back to this after LPB for a final attempt at rank 8.

Erebus

deepbrown said:
No custom soundtrack online. Not even your own. You have to be playing offline to have custom soundtrack.

This sucks if you ask me. Even Burnout Paradise, which was later patched to support custom soundtrack, allows you to play your own music both offline and online.

deepbrown

wouwie said:
I still need 175 points to go to rank 8. But i honestly don't know where i'm going to get those points. I've got a feeling that this is my limit before hitting frustration. I had a blast though. My stats are telling me that i've been racing for about 28 hours so far (sp + mp). Which is far more than i had expected. And i might come back to this after LPB for a final attempt at rank 8.
I was in the same position at 400points to go. But I soldiered on over a couple of nights - I have 75 points to go now :D

wouwie

deepbrown said:
I was in the same position at 400points to go. But I soldiered on over a couple of nights - I have 75 points to go now :D

75 points until rank 8? You certainly can't give up now while being so close. Damn... i need a way to get 175 points. I still have one uncompleted race and quite a few bronze ones but they are all in rank 6 or 7. Aarrggghhh :D

Ploid 3.0

A race on Scorched.
Youtube link

Speed race

I remember what the speed mode remind me of. It's like Stuntman. The first time through you don't know what you're going to be asked to do next and you have to memorize them as you go and fail. Even the braking and such remind me of it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay, as a hardcore MS fan, I can say that I'm liking the game. It's definitely better in every aspect. Golding everything until level 7 has been easy, now it's starting to piss me off (Racing Truck Razorback festival race). Never in my life have I seen AI that cheats as much as they do. Heck, it's fun, I admit. But you know, after 1 ½ hour of tries, I really would like my #1 (probably my tenth time I've been first place until the last 3-4 seconds of the race, the rubberband gets frikkin ridiculous)

This game's fun: 10/10
This game's fun when you actually want to win: 5/10, on par with MS, that is.

EDIT: I just checked some other forums and apparently, that race I mentioned above is the hardest in the game :lol Nice shit.

EDIT#2: This is one of the best looking games ever. I can't wait to share my screens :)

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I finally got my copy through and wow, this game is so much fun, not much to say beyond that really, although I do have to big up the lighting, really is beautiful, ground textures are a bit meh but still this game is a good 9/10 for me so far, great sound track, awesome physics, it's like burnout off road edition lol, after having a good play I must say it bewilders me how some publications have rated this so low, they are entitled to their opinion I guess but being objective I can't see how any reviewer would rate this less than an 8/10 tbh, oh well, regardless of meta bollocks I'm enjoying the game and that's what counts.

Yoshichan

Oh yeah, I've never heard such a bad soundtrack in my life. I swear, after I heard that "New Tattoo"-song, I literally said "Shut the FUCK UP" and started custom soundtrack instead.

BeeDog

Seiken said:
Oh yeah, I've never heard such a bad soundtrack in my life. I swear, after I heard that "New Tattoo"-song, I literally said "Shut the FUCK UP" and started custom soundtrack instead.

Is there an option to exclude certain tracks you dislike? Overall I'd say the tracklisting for this game is one of the best licensed soundtracks I've ever seen, but I know some tracks will annoy me there.

Ploid 3.0

BeeDog said:
Is there an option to exclude certain tracks you dislike? Overall I'd say the tracklisting for this game is one of the best licensed soundtracks I've ever seen, but I know some tracks will annoy me there.

Yea you can customize the normal soundtrack list. It's hard to do unless you know the name of every song though. They don't allow you to preview a song on command. You have to rely on removing all the songs the activating the one you're wondering about. They are numbered at least (like 30? #_#).

kenta

Has no PEINS
BeeDog said:
Yeah there is, but I couldn't figure out how to get the game to preview the tracks in the list so I could tell what song I was disabling. Nor is there a little pop-up telling me the song that just began playing (like EA Trax), so it's pretty hard to use

Edit: Should have refreshed

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Seiken said:

lol this just shows how peoples opinions differ as I'm really genuinely loving the soundtrack, strange, but then I do love all different types of music.

Poigea

Wollan said:
How is online?

I played some online this afternoon. Matchmaking worked pretty smoothly, got some full races, mostly there were 6-10 people though. The actual racing was awesome, so much more intense against real people. In about 8 races only experienced 1 second of lag in one of the races. Its kind of addicting, kept trying "just one more".

If anyone wants to play, add me (PSN: Poigea), I am probably going to be playing every afternoon.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I think I might have to drop my mirror's edge pre-order and buy motorstorm 2. This game looks fantastic.

Top Bottom