• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Man, Sugar Rush on a dirt bike is harsh. Meth Overdose would have been a more appropriate name. "Vrooom! Crash! Vrooom! Crash!" Every turn seems to be designed to kill you very dead. I love it though. There's that short cut into the sewage pipe where you hit the nitro and its like being shot out of a fucking cannon. These tracks kick so much ass, I can't believe how intricate they are. Out of sixteen there's only two I'd really call average designs (Spires and Wildfire), that's an amazing ratio.

This is the finest arcade racer since roughly forever. I think the only thing that could improve it at this point would be gibs. You know you want it.

Kweh

Gees, Scorched is one evil track, I don't know if it was because the race was limited to Big Rigs and Monster Trucks (i picked the former), but I didn't enjoy that one at all. It was my first go at it, can see it being more fun with a quicker vehicle.

Ploid 3.0

Kweh said:
Gees, Scorched is one evil track, I don't know if it was because the race was limited to Big Rigs and Monster Trucks (i picked the former), but I didn't enjoy that one at all. It was my first go at it, can see it being more fun with a quicker vehicle.

I remember playing that one for the first time on MP with some friends (online). Yea that map was all kinds of crazy. I'm a bit used to it now, but I still have a way to go in figuring it out enough to race confidently on it. The same for sugar rush, although sugar rush is simple in comparison.

kenta said:
Can't freaking stand Sugar Rush. That map is like the antithesis of speed

I'm able to speed around it a bit now. Those speed challenges help you understand routes and I think they're fun (the way point thing). After doing a speed trail in Sugar Rush I got accustomed to it's design. Slow at points, speed speed in others. Especially the sugar cane field with the sprays of water along the path.

Edit:

In this vid I started from the ticket area, and at the end of the race I enter picture mode just before I cross the finish line to show how the process is. I was going to upload the images I took and post them with this edit but the console is off and it would be a bit unnecessary I guess.

link

KZObsessed

Maaaan, been playing this game for the last couple of hours. So addictive, much better than the first! I'm having a blast!

A lil disappinted in the visuals, some tracks are jaw dropping, some look just ok. Depends on the time of day as well. Lighting is amazing, environments seem much bigger than the first, the multiple paths/track design is much much better. My main complaint is that there's a lot of aliasing which I'm sure the first didn't have. Still looks great tho. 4 player splitscreen makes up for it tho! :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
How awesome is the Big Rig?

I was able to knock out four opponents at once.

MSPR_chubigans_9.jpg

So awesome.

J2d

This is the best racing game I have ever played. I probably get more awesome moments in one race than I've gotten from every racing game combined so far, just wow.

KZObsessed

Just wanted to say again this game is amazing. The track design is sooo much better, the multiple routes are fantastic this time.

On a few of the tracks, the multiple paths actually cross over each other which leads to some amazing crashes. I just hit another car side on while really high up in the air, leading both cars to spin madly and burst into pieces. I've had better crashes in the first couple of hours of this game than I ever had in the original.

This is the most pleasant surprise of 2008 for me. Enjoying myself. :D

One thing the franchises needs tho, desperately. The ability to SAVE REPLAYS! I don't care about excuses Evolution, too much physics blah blah. It NEEDS to happen!

slider

Has no one made an Online - matchup thread yet?

Got the Play free t-shirt. Pretty good quality and a nice-ish design. But cos I'm a big ol' bastard the large doesn't fit me very well. Sigh.

wouwie

Did anyone complete the single player yet? I managed to reach rank 7 now. Never thought i would make it that far. I'm still more determined than ever to complete it. But i've got a feeling it's not going to be easy :)

I'll post some final thoughts once i complete the single player (IF is complete it that is :). But this has to be my surprise fun game for 2008.

Also, i've got tons of screenshots. I hope to select the best and put them online somewhere.

KZObsessed

slider said:
Has no one made an Online - matchup thread yet?

Got the Play free t-shirt. Pretty good quality and a nice-ish design. But cos I'm a big ol' bastard the large doesn't fit me very well. Sigh.

Same! :lol

It's goddamn skin tight.

Ploid 3.0

Core407 said:
Does the game still have rubberband AI? I mean like in the later stages, not the early ones.

I'm like halfway into the single player and still no rubberbanding. They just drive much better and more aggressively. Early levels they won't ram into you or hit you. They're doing that to me now, they're also blocking me when I try to overtake them now. They aren't taking me out by sacrificing themselves yet either. That's one thing I didn't like in Motorstorm. They would do any and everything to prevent you from getting ahead even if it cost them the race as well. Sorta like it was you against the team of others. No hint of that yet at all.

So far so good on the racing, and I'm pushing through the tickets. I win easily once I learn a sure fire path combo for the ticket. It's just up to me to deal with the situations correctly as they're given to me.

G-Bus

Banned
My lord is online ever intense. Played for a solid 3 hours this morning. Had a stupid grin on my face the whole time. Haven't played everything out there but this is my GOTY so far. Most fun I've had with a game all year.

Would lowering your boost meter every time you cause someone to crash break Motorstorm's gameplay? I've only played the demo, but many times I feel like I should be rewarded somehow when I cause someone to crash.

JardeL

Guymelef said:
eBay suspended my account lol , I've never purchased anything through it , createed an account and suspended ... Violated terms , wtf r those terms ..

Btw all ms2 are gone !

deepbrown

G-Bus said:
My lord is online ever intense. Played for a solid 3 hours this morning. Had a stupid grin on my face the whole time. Haven't played everything out there but this is my GOTY so far. Most fun I've had with a game all year.
Monster Trucks are hilarious online. Love how fast the online is.

KZObsessed

deepbrown said:
Question. Gamerevolution gave PR a B- By my reckoning that's around 7.5-8. Metacritic have put it as one of the lowest scores at 67/100

B- = 6.7?

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/ps3/motorstorm-pacific-rift

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/motorstormpacificrift

They seem all over the place recently... tho only with PS3 games hmm :p

I found this funny in the review tho:

However, if the child prodigy weren’t a child and the culinary canine weren’t a dog, there’d be nothing all that impressive about someone who could perform either feat, or more disturbingly, both. He’d just be a shit-eating mathematician with a taste for coq. [You're fired. ~Ed]

:lol

iceatcs

deepbrown said:
Hm. That's what photobucket made them...I'll upload more tomorrow. For now I must sleep.
Well you can change the limit (screen size etc...) which it is somewhere in the uploader. I dunno if it is only for premium member.

EktorPR

Ok guys, I need your feedback on the letter I'm about to send to Evolution for the situation that you already know of:

To whom this may concern:

With much anticipation, I purchased 'Motorstorm: Pacific Rift' the very day it came out (I believe it was the 28th of October). Let me first congratulate you for such a great piece of work: everything, from the presentation, to the gameplay itself, is easily a step above the original. I love the added tightness in how the vehicles handle (I specially love the bikes now), the insane variety of settings (and hazards) in the selection of tracks, and the added features like 4-player splitscreen multiplayer.

Sadly, my great experience with your game was short-lived. Last week, my PlayStation 3 began to show signs of malfunction, and I rapidly proceeded to copy all my saved games and other information on a 2GB USB drive. After a few hours, I came to the conclusion that the problems (XMB locking up ocassionally, to name the biggest one) were network-related and had nothing to do with the inner workings of my console.

I then resumed my usual usage of the console, booting the Pacific Rift disc only to find out that the trophy set for the game had failed to initialize, and I couldn't do a thing about it, only to retry again by exiting the game. The notice came in form of an ever-present black screen displaying a message informing me of the situation, rendering the game virtually useless. I got scared, and moved to delete the original save data in case it had got corrupted during the copy process. And then, I pressed "triangle" on it, and read "Copying Prohibited".

I swear I could hear my heart beating fast after reading those words, and sweating...lots of it. I deleted it anyway to see if it would go away, and nothing. I was devastated. The other day, I called Sony's Customer Service, who basically told me that the file was "corrupt" and that I couldn't do anything about it, but I'm sure this has to do with the save file being a locked one due to the trophies.

I understand the save files are locked to use with only the original account they were created in, but didn't know that when copied, it'd pretty much rendered the game useless within that very same account. I would've never imagined something like this would happen. My motives were innocent enough, and I ended up paying badly because of this.

This is where I ask you for your help on this matter: I really love your game, and I want to keep enjoying it as I were a week ago. I'm really sad that this happened, because I feel punished without cause. I really would like to hear an official response to this, and see if it could be patched, just so I can play it again on my account, without the necessity of playing it on another one (which I wouldn't like because of the trophies I had already collected, and the way they contribute to my overall trophy level).

Again, congratulations for creating a fantastic piece of interactive entertainment that is sure to thrill videogame fanatics the world over. And thanks for paying mind to what this fan has to say.

Humbly,
Héctor

What do you think?

deepbrown said:
Question. Gamerevolution gave PR a B- By my reckoning that's around 7.5-8. Metacritic have put it as one of the lowest scores at 67/100

B- = 6.7?

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/ps3/motorstorm-pacific-rift

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/motorstormpacificrift
Metacritic has been a real joke lately...

Afrikan said:
CAN YOU PC folks please leave Crysis pics out of this thread...geez....we know already..... Crysis > everything
:lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MSPR-Ripten11.jpg

This pic is so fucking sick, I mean just look at it. WOW.

Alidar

Neo Member
Ugh, there's a rank 6 eliminator race that's brutal for me. I can manage to get a silver, but the gold is painful. It's the one where you're on a bike and you're against all monster trucks, I believe it's on Razorback. The timing is a problem because there are areas of the track I lag behind, the get in a lead later due to me taking one path and everyone else taking another. And guess where I'm at when we get to the last racers?

Kweh

Have they gotten rid of the nameplates for multiplayer? If not, how do you turn them on? It was always nice to see who you were jossling with.

roxya

Kweh said:
Have they gotten rid of the nameplates for multiplayer? If not, how do you turn them on? It was always nice to see who you were jossling with.

I seem to remember that L3 toggles it or something.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Picked this up today for €50 in HMV.
Loving it so far, everything I loved about the first game and then some.
Graphics and gameplay are top notch, track design and variety is excellent.

PseudoZ

Neo Member
roxya said:
I seem to remember that L3 toggles it or something.

Yea, double click L3.

Anyone else having issues with the Wireless Headset? It seems like I have to yell in order for the game to register that I'm talking.

Poigea

Just played through the first 5 races or so and it is AWESOME. Its like the first Motorstorm multiplied by 10, with all of the annoying things gone. There is some pop-in, but nothing that really distracts from the racing. Really intense races so far, with lots of carnage. Good times indeed. I hope to be able to get some online races later this week.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Poigea said:
Just played through the first 5 races or so and it is AWESOME. Its like the first Motorstorm multiplied by 10, with all of the annoying things gone. There is some pop-in, but nothing that really distracts from the racing. Really intense races so far, with lots of carnage. Good times indeed. I hope to be able to get some online races later this week.
*High Five*

Got this afternoon as well, turned it on and was in awe. I honestly dont know why some of the reviews were luke warm about this game. It fucking rules.

DCharlie

Banned
CAN YOU PC folks please leave Crysis

hahaha.

still, there is a disturbing link between PS3 threads and Crysis.

I think each thread needs to be rated in a "time to PS3 vs Crysis"

"Water in <ps3 game> looks incredible!"
TTPvC : 1 post

"I have to have my dog put down today"
TTPvC : 12 posts

;)

Played more and more of this game and it's getting better and better, the races have become really tight but i'm not in any way feeling cheated or hard done by. It's -still- awesome :O

Spruchy

Yo I only played this game for like 30 mins today but the first air track (I think) where you go all the way up that mountain is some of the illest shit I have ever seen in a game.

Oneself

The more I play it, the more I think it's easily the best arcade racer of this gen. The last time I had fun like this was with Burnout3 and Downhill Domination. It's just fucking awesome and worth every single penny.

Top Bottom