• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

Mix

2fFUzzd.gif
2fFUzzd.gif
2fFUzzd.gif

counting to Monday because of Midnight launch, it's only three days away.

That would tell you how big the H2A canvas is compared to other maps or Forge canvases across Halo games.

Science complete.

Measured in Skyward: 380x380 wide/long with soft, push you back boundries at the edges. The floor starts at -90 with a return to battle, and the sky is 75 units high with a soft, push you back boundry at the top.

For reference, a 1x1 block (which is about the height of a spartan, is one unit by one unit by one unit.

It's pretty fuckin' big.

If the absolute center of the new forge pallets are not designated (0,0)

I'm going to lose my shit.

It is zero zero. Don't worry.

Mix

Science complete.

Measured in Skyward: 380x380 wide/long with soft, push you back boundries at the edges. The floor starts at -90 with a return to battle, and the sky is 75 units high with a soft, push you back boundry at the top.

For reference, a 1x1 block (which is about the height of a spartan, is one unit by one unit by one unit.

It's pretty fuckin' big.

It is zero zero. Don't worry.

so, if I did the math right, that means it's bigger than Forge World, yes?

If so then damn.

And that netcode isn't the same nor does it meet the needs and sync requirements of co-op netcode.

Also, despite your poor memory, Halo 3's netcode, both co-op and multiplayer, was total garbage.

Poor memory? I played Halo 3 co-op last week in preparation for MCC. Assumptions about how far back my memory is stretching aren't a great argument, and it's really a matter of opinion anyway. It's fine for me. You'll notice I even said that in my post (read: "it's perfectly acceptable for me").

But then again I'm not super anal about things like that. I don't count the amount of frames it takes between the time I push A and when the chief jumps. I used to be when I was PC master race but I haven't been a PC gamer since I quit WoW in 2006.

FyreWulff

Edit: Now fixed. The previous images had incorrect sizes

RDLCtFu.png

KsnCGtN.png

Just eyeballing the size of Skyward, it seems they sized it to about the draw distance of the engine

It's considerably smaller than Forge Island, but that was to be expected. Still, it's ridiculous how huge it is.

Why is that expected? It's their first foray on the new console and you've given them a break at every corner.

Unless you're saying it's expected due to them not following through on a number of other things...then yes. Yes it's expected.

darthbob

*Possibly* in Halo CE, but 2 3 and 4 all had solid enough net code so they should be fine. I played Halo 3 and 4 over live co-op and never had any issues, and that was on 360 so it should be even better now, unless the faster framerate throws a hitch in it and makes what used to be imperceptible input lag now noticeable, albeit minor.

tl ; dr I'm not worried.

That's good to hear.

FyreWulff

Why is that expected? It's their first foray on the new console and you've given them a break at every corner.

Unless you're saying it's expected due to them not following through on a number of other things...then yes. Yes it's expected.

It's expected because Forge Island is also in the MCC. So you already have the crazy redonk Forge canvas available to you.

either way thanks for sciencing for us, Trunks

Skyward
X = 380 (-190 to 190)
Y = 380 (-190 to 190)
Z = 165 (-90 to 75)
Fun fact: This is Installation 05

Awash
X=560 (-300 to 260)
Y= 530 (-280 to 250)
Z= 105 (-45 to 160)
Note: Water starts at about -5, and can be stood on like a solid in edit mode.

Nebula
X= 700 ( -350 to 350 )
Y= 700 ( -350 to 350 )
Z= 220 ( -70 to 150 )

The better question is if Travis Brady is still on that dish in beautiful 1080p.

He absolutely is. And you can see him (barely) by zooming in with any weapon. Don't even need a sniper.

Poor memory? I played Halo 3 co-op last week in preparation for MCC. Assumptions about how far back my memory is stretching aren't a great argument, and it's really a matter of opinion anyway. It's fine for me. You'll notice I even said that in my post (read: "it's perfectly acceptable for me").

But then again I'm not super anal about things like that. I don't count the amount of frames it takes between the time I push A and when the chief jumps. I used to be when I was PC master race but I haven't been a PC gamer since I quit WoW in 2006.

Sure it's a matter of opinion, but saying "it's acceptable for me" isn't a great argument against the shitty performance that pretty much everyone experiences either. Entire half seconds between button presses and your input being recognized when off host isn't "being anal" either. It has nothing to do with caring about frames or whatever (if that was the case, I wouldn't have played much of any Halo), but rather about real-time input delays. Assuming you're not playing on LAN/splitscreen or with your next-door neighbor, Halo 3 online co-op has always been a latency-fest. It's "playable" sure, but "good performance"? Not even the most lenient of gamers I've ever met would say that.

Mix

haha you mad? I say it's expected because there are three different pallets, I wouldn't see the reason in making three pallets each the size of Forge Island or bigger, so yeah, I'd say it was expected.

Ataxia

It is utterly ridiculous how easy it is to make cool looking stuff in Forge.
Ibw8VD3.jpg
My biggest issue with Halo 2A's Forge is the lack of grass. I mean sure you have a nice texture but... eh. I guess they'd need to revamp what Forge is completely to add details like that.

While the game does look amazing, I do have some gripes regarding the new and improved art direction. At times in the campaign it would be too dark for me to see in Anniversary mode, and I would have to revert to Classic to get my bearings again so I could continue on the levels path. This happened enough in the campaign that it would get annoying at times.
Dammit. Do you have any examples of this or anything?

Seeing soo many people playing the MCC is making me envious. I just cant wait to get my hands on forge and create some interesting maps.

CyReN

My biggest issue with Halo 2A's Forge is the lack of grass. I mean sure you have a nice texture but... eh. I guess they'd need to revamp what Forge is completely to add details like that.

Dammit. Do you have any examples of this or anything?

Not on hand, but it was highly annoying.

Omni

Had a quick look at the review thread, looks good. Not that I really expect anything different as all four games got around 90+% on metacritic anyway and the collection is literally just an improvement.

Since we're four days away from release and things are vamping up, I'm not gonna come here until I've played. So if anyone here wants to add me on Xbox Live, my GT is randomrosso93 (I just bought a new headset for it in preparation of the MCC actually. So good)

Sure it's a matter of opinion, but saying "it's acceptable for me" isn't a great argument against the shitty performance that pretty much everyone experiences either. Entire half seconds between button presses and your input being recognized when off host isn't "being anal" either. It has nothing to do with caring about frames or whatever (if that was the case, I wouldn't have played much of any Halo), but rather about real-time input delays. Assuming you're not playing on LAN/splitscreen or with your next-door neighbor, Halo 3 online co-op has always been a latency-fest. It's "playable" sure, but "good performance"? Not even the most lenient of gamers I've ever met would say that.

I literally (and I don't use that word often) never once saw anything as extreme as a half-second between button press and action on-screen. For me it was at worst-cases a very slightly noticable delay, but nothing as extreme as 0.5seconds, and nothing that made the game unplayable.

That was playing off-host. But I always had a top-notch (for its time) broadband connection, none of that DSL shit or super-saver bottom-tier cable internet. I'm sure the argument will be that it wasn't dependent on your connection, but all I'm saying is I never experienced those extremes in lag.

Maybe it's different for folks overseas?? I'm in the states and always played with someone else in the states.

Besides isn't all of this irrelevant? If there are dedicated servers for online co-op, there shouldn't be any off-host input lag should there? Certainly not anything remotely close to what you're saying people experienced in H3/H4.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
Here's a quote from a recent review, Metro.co.uk, which gave Halo: MCC a 8/10.

And while the multiplayer options are as bountiful as the rest of the package, it’s a bit of a shock to find out that you can’t actually run in any of the games except Halo 4. While a single-player game can remain relevant for decades Halo multiplayer, indeed first person shooter multiplayer in general, is all a variation on a fairly narrow theme. It’s fun to see how things used to play, and the multiplayer is by no means unenjoyable for new players – but it’s probably only nostalgia that will stop anyone from not pinning for something more modern after a few hours.
Cons: There’s always been a lot of repetition within the Halo games and this collection only helps to highlight that fact. Multiplayer inevitably feels old-fashioned and slow.
So essentially, they're critiquing the exact opposite elements of what Halo fans have been complaining about since Halo: Reach. Halo 4 was supposed to be that "modernized Halo", yet look how that turned out. Now that's a Halo game that got dull "after a few hours." I wish reviewers would somewhat acknowledge this, especially since this is a remaster and not a brand new Halo game.

Cow

Lack of ranks at is very disappointing... that was one of they main reasons my friends were coming back. To play Halo 1-3 ranked.

"The selection to start with a ranked H2A playlists is not at all an effort to “force” H2A, but instead begin the focus with H2A, as we’ve stated – it’s the newest experience in the box" - Bravo

So basically they are trying to force H2A. I knew something like this would happen.

Booshka

Lack of ranks at is very disappointing... that was one of they main reasons my friends were coming back. To play Halo 1-3 ranked.

"The selection to start with a ranked H2A playlists is not at all an effort to “force” H2A, but instead begin the focus with H2A, as we’ve stated – it’s the newest experience in the box" - Bravo

So basically they are trying to force H2A. I knew something like this would happen.

HCS is also forcing H2A on the competitive scene, they always go where the money is, so it's gonna be the game all the Pro's are playing too.

Top Bottom