• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

Game has to be in each time.

That is unfortunate.

Once the door is open though and someone finds a way to do privilege escalation I'm sure this will be usable for a custom firmware.

Cubic Ninja is also retail, published by AQ

is that another game?

No its the same game. The retail version would be much cheaper and a better buy since there's zero risk of it being wiped from your system.

vgamer1

Reposting for the new page.

The game has to be inserted each time you want to launch homebrew.

[23:10:25] <@bunnei> smea, once hb is installed, do we need to use this game every time we want to launch?
[23:10:38] <smea> yes
[23:10:44] <smea> game essentially becomes a homebrew launcher
[23:10:53] <smea> exploit is installed to savegame
[23:11:14] <archshift> oh, that's unfortunate
[23:11:22] <archshift> but I guess it makes sense

Hasney

smea has already created an installable channel and even run the NAND emulated off of an SD card before that was a thing with Gateway. I guess this is his piracy protection.

B.K.

Ordered a copy from Ebay for $8. I'm not expecting much from this exploit, but what the hell? It was just $8.

Renta

Banned
What's stopping people from buying the game now, doing the exploit, then just selling it afterward?

I don't think this "value" will last long. Maybe a week. But after that, a bunch of people are just going to be selling thier copies when they're done.

Hasney

What's stopping people from buying the game now, doing the exploit, then just selling it afterward?

I don't think this "value" will last long. Maybe a week. But after that, a bunch of people are just going to be selling thier copies when they're done.

You need to boot the game to use it every time.

Well, you'll no longer be able to access homebrew stuff if you do that, so there's that. EDIT: ninja'd :(

Etzer

The game apparently acts as a homebrew launcher. You need it each time.

GamerJM

Banned

You need to have the game inserted for it to work.

smea has already created an installable channel and even run the NAND emulated off of an SD card before that was a thing with Gateway. I guess this is his piracy protection.

So is it legit piracy protection or will someone else find a way around this?

I mean if you're running homebrew off of the SD card it's probable that someone will eventually create a SD game launcher of some kind.

So I guess this is the point when Indies start dropping off and Square and Capcom have an excuse as to why they're not localizing games then... :/

neoflcl

Man, for a second, I was worried I wouldn't get a copy before it got pricey! Those suckers go quick on Amazon, even with the 1-Click thingamahoozit.

(New pet-peeve of mine: Sites that behave as if you're signed in, but still prompt you with a login screen when you try to do certain things. Madness!)

Back on topic though, I'm looking forward to experiencing the beginnings of what I hope will become a thriving homebrew community. I'll always look back fondly on the Wii and DS homebrew scenes, which were pumping out all sorts of cool stuff in their prime!

Kudos to Smea for his work, it must feel like a huge weight has been lifted!

CDX

So is it legit piracy protection or will someone else find a way around this?

I have no idea.

Here is what he posted on his website months ago.

http://smealum.net/

To release or not to release

Generally speaking, the thing that’s been stopping me (and others) from releasing working exploits has been the fact that they might be used for piracy. Fortunately, that should not be a factor in this case, as by its very nature, ssspwn can not by itself allow piracy. That’s right, it’s the sweet spot that gives us just enough to get awesome homebrew code running in arm11 user mode, but not enough to break the system bad enough to let anyone do whatever the hell they want. As such, I personally have no qualms with releasing the exploit into the wild.

I honestly don't know if what he claims about piracy is true, but it doesn't matter to me. I'm only interested in emulators and playing games from other regions

OmegaDL50

I have no idea.

Generally speaking, the thing that’s been stopping me (and others) from releasing working exploits has been the fact that they might be used for piracy. Fortunately, that should not be a factor in this case, as by its very nature, ssspwn can not by itself allow piracy. That’s right, it’s the sweet spot that gives us just enough to get awesome homebrew code running in arm11 user mode, but not enough to break the system bad enough to let anyone do whatever the hell they want. As such, I personally have no qualms with releasing the exploit into the wild.

I honestly don't know if what he claims about piracy is true, but it doesn't matter to me. I'm only interested in emulators and playing games from other regions

Well you know for the homebrew community and some prominent programmers, give them an inch, and they can potentially take a mile.

Nothing is infallible however the method, you know the saying, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Still for author of ssspwn, I respect his reasons, unfortunately there will always be someone willing to take an exploit like this to the absolute extremes.

Yaranaika

I ordered another copy, just in case the ebay seller catches on and cancels the order. I'll probably end up with two and sell one to a friend.

I have no idea.

Well you know for the homebrew community and some prominent programmers, give them an inch, and they can potentially take a mile.

Nothing is infallible however the method, you know the saying, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Still for author of ssspwn, I respect his reasons, unfortunately there will always be someone willing to take an exploit like this to the absolute extremes.

Well, speaking as a 3DS owner who enjoys games being released in the US, I hope this hack does not enable piracy and can not be manipulated in to doing so as its creator believes.

mjontrix

Nintendo should just go region free - it'd definitely damper efforts to push the boundaries of homebrew.

But the 3DS has physical for home-brew though - physical buttons are much more satisfying than tap mashing a screen!

I would say it's very clear as the international publisher that it is their job to market and increase awareness of products to people. Nintendo was that publisher, and they absolutely failed to do that post DQIX, where a number of people here - myself included - felt they were only releasing games outside of Japan to meet some sort of quota deal with Square-Enix. DQ VI and Monster Joker 2 were their last major DQ releases, and both were just sent out to die. No marketing, no awareness on those games beyond the hardcore fans who were already getting the games, and the franchise simply needs more than that. Those games probably failed to meet expectations - be it of Square's super high expectations or Nintendo's low ones - and that killed the series here for the most part. But marketing and awareness of those games was nowhere near it should have been, and those games tanked, Monsters Joker 2 rightfully so for Nintendo waiting years to bring the game and giving us the outdated version.

Piracy has always been an easy scapegoat to cite when games underperform as well. These are the same companies who in the last few years have essentially played that game with used titles, and while I am not doubting these have some impact, I am willing to bet it has less of an impact than the big companies say it is. It has some, but it's always expanded to make every download seem like a lost sale, and that's a topic not even worth getting into because of how absurd it is.

Only find out the reply just now.

In the case of DQ, it is nothing new that Nintendo put minimal effort on ad, because that's what they do with basically every game that's not in their big franchises. And I agreed that they should. I thought you blamed Nintendo for not localize the future titles
reading comprehension failed Lol

For privacy issue though, you definitely underestimate the problem. I already stated that niche titles are affected the most. Smaller titles, unlike the big company games(assuming you mean SE big), appeal to consistently small fan base of the same people for every single entry. Privacy will def affected localization because they have small profit margin and losing just 10% of sales to privacy might make the game unprofitable

GamerJM

Banned
You know, since reading about this a while back, I'm not really interested in actually installing it but I'm interested in how it works. Does Cubic Ninja allow you to play created stages off of an SD card or something?

vgamer1

You know, since reading about this a while back, I'm not really interested in actually installing it but I'm interested in how it works. Does Cubic Ninja allow you to play created stages off of an SD card or something?

Exactly. The exploit is likely a modified stage file that crashes the 3DS in a way that unsigned code can be run.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Awesome, got my copy ordered. Can't wait to see the cool things the homebrew community does.

The PSP homebrew community made an awesome audio workstation that I still use today, lets see what ends up happening with 3DS!

Ogawa-san

Cubic Ninja get before people here realize what's going on. Still 50% sure the seller will just cancel my purchase, double the price and list it back up :p

Awesome, got my copy ordered. Can't wait to see the cool things the homebrew community does.

The PSP homebrew community made an awesome audio workstation that I still use today, lets see what ends up happening with 3DS!
PSP homebrew was popular in an era smartphones didn't exist. What can you do with 3DS homebrew that you can't do better with any cheap 5 year old Android? What'd be the interest?

I only see 3 things: region free, emulators with physical controls (because I must replay old Mario games on a 10th device) and piracy.

This is mostly why 3DS and Vita homebrew/hacking didn't take like the predecessors. Sure, faster updates blocking vulnerabilities made it harder, but it was more about general lack of interest outside piracy.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fuck it, I had to buy it new, 15€ from Amazon.it... it was 8€ last week, I knew I should've grabbed it then... and I still have DOA:D shrink-wrapped

Is the game decent? :p

Squall516

so i just saw my friend on his fb post a comment about getting the game and that it will unlock the hombrew but he hasnt answerd any of my questions so maybe you guys can help. I see that my local gamestop has it for like $5 used would that work? Or does it have to be new or PAL version or something?

neoflcl

Yup, it's definitely rising fast on Amazon! Earlier today before it was announced, you could get a used copy of Cubic Ninja for $2 before shipping. Now the lowest I can see at a glance is ~ $16. What fun!

so i just saw my friend on his fb post a comment about getting the game and that it will unlock the hombrew but he hasnt answerd any of my questions so maybe you guys can help. I see that my local gamestop has it for like $5 used would that work? Or does it have to be new or PAL version or something?

The game region has to match your 3DS' region for it to be useful for the exploit (or at all, really! Darned region-locking)

FatalT

Banned
Doesn't have to be a new copy, you just need a cart of the game with the region that matches the region of your 3DS. I'm in the US with a US 3DS so I put a store-hold online at GameStop for a $4.99 pre-owned copy. Hopefully the price stays at $4.99!

Squall516

Doesn't have to be a new copy, you just need a cart of the game with the region that matches the region of your 3DS. I'm in the US with a US 3DS so I put a store-hold online at GameStop for a $4.99 pre-owned copy. Hopefully the price stays at $4.99!

awesome thanks a lot. Ya i have a US 3DS XL too so thats why i was just asking wasnt sure if you needed the PAL version or something and thats how they were able to make it region free. So cool ya i just did the store-hold online thing for it $4.99 too and i know someone that works there so ill get a discount off it. So i should be good to go then as long as i have a working copy of the game right? ^_^

FatalT

Banned
awesome thanks a lot. Ya i have a US 3DS XL too so thats why i was just asking wasnt sure if you needed the PAL version or something and thats how they were able to make it region free. So cool ya i just did the store-hold online thing for it $4.99 too and i know someone that works there so ill get a discount off it. So i should be good to go then as long as i have a working copy of the game right? ^_^
You got it, you'll be good to go!

.. I see that my local gamestop has it for like $5 used would that work? Or does it have to be new or PAL version or something?

It can be any region of the retail game new or used. But if you buy it digitally it has to be the Japanese version,
This will also work on firmware versions from 4.0 upto 9.2

HTH

Squall516

You got it, you'll be good to go!

awesome thanks for your response. I just hope we both get lucky, bc sometimes you can do a hold online but they dont always have the game in stock. So just praying that the store actually has it when i go tomorrow lol

Squall516

It can be any region of the retail game new or used. But if you buy it digitally it has to be the Japanese version,
This will also work on firmware versions from 4.0 upto 9.2

HTH

thanks for the response. Just hope my gamestop actually has it in stock lol. If not gonna try and get it from bestbuy i think they are selling it too.

Top Bottom