• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 direct feed screens

Kinan

Ether_Snake said:
I guess everyone knows by now but:

The game is set in India.

One of the buses in the concept art has the Tata Motors company logo on it, which is an Indian company and they make buses for India.

You are late, we already figured that this is Nepal. They use Indian buses and cars as well.

AAK

huhhjq.jpg

capture2yo2.jpg

Still can't believe how insanely detailed this is.

Shurs

Uncharted is one of my favorite experiences this generation. I am, for the first and probably last time, anxiously awaiting my copy of Game Informer for more information. These shots look fantastic.

Buckethead said:
Junior is correct.

Uncharted 1 looks fabulous, but it's not the best looking game out there.
I loved the game and it DOES still look good, but there are tons of areas that they needed to improve. Judging by what the Game Informer stuff said, they're trying to do that, but it was far from perfect on many issues across the board.

The main problem is PS3 owners were hoping desperately for any game to be their salvation to salvage their dying system and Uncharted was the perfect lubricant that allowed that to happen.
Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it had a handful of issues and it was way too damn short and a very simple game.

Basically, it had been done before. It was called Tomb Raider. Sure, this is detracting from the strengths of the game, but we must be objective here and not see things through fanboyishly rose-colored glasses.

So ridiculous. Somebody sounds scared :lol

rancor

Neo Member
is this real-time rendered? as in are these shots rendered at some insane rez internally with all manner of filters applied by the ps3 and then downscaled and outputted? you can do something similar with crysis and get some really insane graphics but its not a real indication of how the end game will actually look. the tactic is probably as cheap was cg rendering an image and calling it in-game. now the game won't look any less detailed than that but don't expect the ultra high clarity and fidelity of these images in the final product.

Raistlin

rancor said:
is this real-time rendered? as in are these shots rendered at some insane rez internally with all manner of filters applied by the ps3 and then downscaled and outputted? you can do something similar with crysis and get some really insane graphics but its not a real indication of how the end game will actually look. the tactic is probably as cheap was cg rendering an image and calling it in-game. now the game won't look any less detailed than that but don't expect the ultra high clarity and fidelity of these images in the final product.

It was rendered at a higher res, and then downscaled (the pics were meant for magazine usage - which requires the higher image quality or it won't print right).

However, there was nothing else added. The models, textures, lighting, DOF, etc. are all from the currently running engine.

Hazaro said:
Wait...

Is this Uncharted or Uncharted 2?
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5697/capture2yo2.jpg

I've only played 40 minutes of Uncharted so far :lol

part 2

Raistlin

iDoubleSpy said:
"Sony didn't choose us, we choose Sony" - David Cage

I think Sony needs to bring back the 40GB and make it 300 bucks.

Unfortunately, dropping to a smaller HDD doesn't magically allow them to shave off a $100. In fact, it would probably raise the price.

Onix said:
Unfortunately, dropping to a smaller HDD doesn't magically allow them to shave off a $100. In fact, it would probably raise the price.

Thats the 360 HDD :D

Honestly though, I don't think we will see a price cut until either the system is doing poorly, or x-mas of 09. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it came sooner seeing how much Sony is backing games like Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2.

Also the 40GB had only 3 USB and no Wi-Fi. I'm sure if they take out those things and the ability to play PS1 and PS2 games they could shave down the price. Sure they would still be losing money, but it would benefit them in the long run to have a larger install base.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
iDoubleSpy said:
"Sony didn't choose us, we choose Sony" - David Cage

I think Sony needs to bring back the 40GB and make it 300 bucks.

You know, PS3 will probably be $299 next year...

Joey Styles said:
So ridiculous. Somebody sounds scared :lol

"OH MY GOD....Taz did you see that? No one read Buckethead's posts."

Seriously. People are making me out to be some crazy troll, but all I was saying (as evidenced by my post 1 page back) was that I don't think that Uncharted 1 is the best looking game ever and think visually it was lacking in a bunch of areas. I don't see this as a problem as Uncharted 2 looks incredible and NG has talked about working on a bunch of issues that **ironically** I have brought up times before and not just today. (Subsurface scattering, occlusion tech, deeper shadows, to mention a few)

So if I think they have these issues to work on, I'm a troll.....
But if Naughty Dog thinks they had to work on them....that's okay?

Fucking unbelievable.

Raistlin

iDoubleSpy said:
Thats the 360 HDD :D

Honestly though, I don't think we will see a price cut until either the system is doing poorly, or x-mas of 09. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it came sooner seeing how much Sony is backing games like Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2.

Also the 40GB had only 3 USB and no Wi-Fi. I'm sure if they take out those things and the ability to play PS1 and PS2 games they could shave down the price. Sure they would still be losing money, but it would benefit them in the long run to have a larger install base.

I'm pretty sure the 40GB had WiFi. IIRC, only the original 20GB lacked it.

PS2 is already cut out, and PS1 costs them nothing (it fully SW-based).

Regardless, it seems quite obvious that Sony is trying to make a profit, not win the console war this gen. If that means selling less units, but not taking a loss ... that's probably what they'll do.

I don't see them dropping the price until they can get costs down.

Buckethead said:
Seriously. People are making me out to be some crazy troll.

Stating that Uncharted is Tomb Raider is a troll. Sorry.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
iDoubleSpy said:

40GB has wifi, no card readers, 2 USB ports. You can find em used for $300.

Brashnir

Looks awesome. ND are masters of graphical tricks.

I didn't follow the other thread on the game, but I heard somewhere that they were adding stealth elements somewhere. Can anybody confirm? Or preferably confirm the contrary... I hate stealth games. :(

Loudninja

Brashnir said:

I didn't follow the other thread on the game, but I heard somewhere that they were adding stealth elements somewhere. Can anybody confirm? Or preferably confirm the contrary... I hate stealth games. :(

Yes its in but its optional :)

Adamant

Banned
This thread is just :lol :lol :lol anyways...

I just got the newest Game Informer, same shots there, which are very nice looking but leave me a bit bored. I'm more excited about what I read about the graphics, some of the technical visual stuff they're going to be doing in the game SOUNDS amazing (can't wait to see those parts in motion), they talked about SSS for the ice effects, ambient occlusion, and all sorts of other techniques.

I really liked the first Uncharted, but I wasn't hyped for that one at all until I played the full game (even the demo didn't do it for me).

Onix said:
Stating that Uncharted is Tomb Raider is a troll. Sorry.

I later clarified my point, stating that it had a wealth of inspiration to draw from not just TR but also Indy and Romancing the Stone. The point was that Uncharted and Tomb Raider are similar in structure (explore, small firefight, vehicle section, explore, small firefight, boss, etc.), so they could beef up the visuals because it's not like they're using all the processing power on 20 guys on screen or huge explosions due to 8v8 multiplayer rocket battles, etc.
They had a lot of focus on the environment and for the most part, it was focus well spent, but given the power of the Cell processor at their disposal, I felt that they missed the mark in a couple areas. Don't tell me you think the water looks good in the opening scene, for example.

The comparison (and all other comments) were used for the discussion of it being "the best looking game ever" and me disagreeing. But alas, I guess I'll pretend I agree because I'm clearly never going to win this argument with everyone so firmly attached to the tit of the first game.

CryptiK

Brashnir said:

Stealth is optional

Like most games stealth would probably be your best bet unless you wanna get killed over and over.

Onix said:
I'm pretty sure the 40GB had WiFi. IIRC, only the original 20GB lacked it.

PS2 is already cut out, and PS1 costs them nothing (it fully SW-based).

Regardless, it seems quite obvious that Sony is trying to make a profit, not win the console war this gen. If that means selling less units, but not taking a loss ... that's probably what they'll do.

I don't see them dropping the price until they can get costs down.

I started to phase out that useless information when I had to dedicate myself things other then games :(

Loudninja

Brashnir said:
so I can just run in and kill everyone instead of stealth? sweet.

Yep not a stealth guy myself, but I might have to use it sometimes to get medals and trophies.

Well that's if they you get a reward for stealth kills. ;)

LCGeek

formerly sane
Onix said:
It was rendered at a higher res, and then downscaled (the pics were meant for magazine usage - which requires the higher image quality or it won't print right).

However, there was nothing else added. The models, textures, lighting, DOF, etc. are all from the currently running engine.

part 2

While that's true the bigger question is not is it real time but if it's in game which knowing UC history it's not. UC for the record is one of the few games in game cinematics are close to gameplay outside of shadowing and lighting. Onix do you know if ND is documenting what the engine is doing again for public consumption of information?

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Buckethead said:
"OH MY GOD....Taz did you see that? No one read Buckethead's posts."

Seriously. People are making me out to be some crazy troll, but all I was saying (as evidenced by my post 1 page back) was that I don't think that Uncharted 1 is the best looking game ever and think visually it was lacking in a bunch of areas. I don't see this as a problem as Uncharted 2 looks incredible and NG has talked about working on a bunch of issues that **ironically** I have brought up times before and not just today. (Subsurface scattering, occlusion tech, deeper shadows, to mention a few)

So if I think they have these issues to work on, I'm a troll.....
But if Naughty Dog thinks they had to work on them....that's okay?

Fucking unbelievable.

Just relax. People are just excited about the game.

arne

LCGeek said:
While that's true the bigger question is not is it real time but if it's in game which knowing UC history it's not. UC for the record is one of the few games in game cinematics are close to gameplay outside of shadowing and lighting. Onix do you know if ND is documenting what the engine is doing again for public consumption of information?

huh.

the ones in GI are all gameplay, except for the one that was clearly an earlier iteration of our trailer for the VGAs -- that is one of our cutscenes.

Raistlin

Buckethead said:
I later clarified my point, stating that it had a wealth of inspiration to draw from not just TR but also Indy and Romancing the Stone. The point was that Uncharted and Tomb Raider are similar in structure (explore, small firefight, vehicle section, explore, small firefight, boss, etc.), so they could beef up the visuals because it's not like they're using all the processing power on 20 guys on screen or huge explosions due to 8v8 multiplayer rocket battles, etc.
They had a lot of focus on the environment and for the most part, it was focus well spent, but given the power of the Cell processor at their disposal, I felt that they missed the mark in a couple areas. Don't tell me you think the water looks good in the opening scene, for example.

The comparison (and all other comments) were used for the discussion of it being "the best looking game ever" and me disagreeing. But alas, I guess I'll pretend I agree because I'm clearly never going to win this argument with everyone so firmly attached to the tit of the first game.

The one small (actually giant) thing you seem to not be mentioning is how much better the gameplay is.

That is part of the reason every jumped on you.

This is one of the best looking games I have ever laid eyes on. I mean wow, graphics whores don't need to buy high end PC's when you can get shit like this on a console /bow ND.

Raistlin

LCGeek said:
While that's true the bigger question is not is it real time but if it's in game which knowing UC history it's not. UC for the record is one of the few games in game cinematics are close to gameplay outside of shadowing and lighting.

To my knowledge, the pics are from actual gameplay, not cinematics.

Onix do you know if ND is documenting what the engine is doing again for public consumption of information?

Don't know ... I certainly hope they do though. I should start digging around.

Onix said:
The one small (actually giant) thing you seem to not be mentioning is how much better the gameplay is.

I cant agree more. Underworld lacked in so many different areas that it shows you cant keep teaching an old dog new tricks. I felt so dirty while playing Underworld its like that motto,

fun to fuck a fat chick till your friends find out.

thats how I felt from start to end.

well, that was a good first day at NeoGAF, goodnight all :p

Onix said:

It wasn't a discussion about the game overall or gameplay, it was about graphics. But yes, you are right. Much better.

bobbytkc said:
Just relax. People are just excited about the game.

It was a "Joey Styles" reference.

gantz85

Banned
Onix said:

What makes you think he's played Uncharted?

Brofist

Buckethead said:

I think you made your point, why don't you let the topic get back on track.

BTW you aren't the first or even 100th person to try to draw the Uncharted and TR parallels though, just so you know.

{Mike}

Banned
huhhjq.jpg

I don't like how the bricks are clearly colored so they are part of the level design. It seems artificial to say the least.

XonoX

Hey Arne, make a Trophy for standing in one spot looking at this scene for 5 minutes.

capture2yo2.jpg

Actually fuck it, no trophy necessary, i'm gunna stand here anyway.

Raistlin

Buckethead said:
It wasn't a discussion about the game overall or gameplay, it was about graphics. But yes, you are right. Much better.

When you throw out a statement like, "Basically, it had been done before. It was called Tomb Raider. Sure, this is detracting from the strengths of the game, but we must be objective here and not see things through fanboyishly rose-colored glasses.", It's easy to assume you are talking about it in general (in a trolling fashion).

To assume you're talking about the graphics doesn't even sound like a troll, since it's so nonsensical.

gantz85 said:
What makes you think he's played Uncharted?

True. I'm out.

kittel

{Mike} said:
I don't like how the bricks are clearly colored so they are part of the level design. It seems artificial to say the least.

If they weren't people will be bitching about that section. Uncharted is no Assassin's Creed in terms of free-space wall-climbing. I'm hoping they made some improvements, though, sometimes I wish some parts weren't so linear.

Top Bottom