• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay Trailer (TGAs)

can you shoot in this game? serious question looks super interesting.

Yes, according to the Game Informer article there is gunplay against robots that are out there. I think they said it's taken some inspirations form Halo, at least in terms of being able to identify enemies.

sn00zer

I can respect that. I just can't get excited for it in the same way as I get excited for games with substantial, skill-based, meaningful mechanics.

Yeah its the eternal struggle between games as experiences or skill based challenges. I like both depending on my mood. This would be my after work long day turn down the lights turn up the speakers game. And then Bloodborne on the weekends.

apparently for people, shooting/hitting something = gameplay.

walking and flying around and exploring isn't gameplay, but shooting something is.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason this is reminding me of Spore. A lot of procedural stuff going on but where's the depth? Why would I want to see everything? What do you actually do?

Yeah. On foot and while flying about. (obviously you'd need a weapon and a craft fitted out with weapons - not sure if you get those by default or not.)

Yes, according to the Game Informer article there is gunplay against robots that are out there. I think they said it's taken some inspirations form Halo, at least in terms of being able to identify enemies.

cool to hear! i get interstellar vibes

Leb

Erm, obviously no one was expecting a full-blown flight model or anything, but for a game where piloting your ship around a massive universe is so central to the core gameplay loop (err, presumably?), it sure does look like you're just noclipping a camera around some placeholder assets.

But to be fair, this might just be the Molyneux anger seeping through again.

SerTapTap

Looks boring. What do you actually do in this game? It's technically impressive and ambitious in scope (especially given the size of the team), but what's mechanically rewarding about it? What makes it feel good to play? That's what I wish they would focus on. Right now it just looks like, "Walk around randomly generated planet, hop in ship, fly to another player's randomly generated planet, with occasional dogfights that may or may not be fun in-between."

If you don't think the bare act of walking around on weird, lovely procedurally generated planets is interesting in the slightest the game is probably not for you regardless of gameplay.

Soundtrack is gonna be great. Might be even more hyped for that than the game at this point.

Game looks great too. Nice to see some more alien wildlife and environments. Miss me with all that negativity though. Even if the game flops, I appreciate the attempt.

I guess the trailer should have ended with "Please read the GI article and GAF thread!"

Because every trailer sets out what you do.

How about you go and do some research because there's plenty of info out there (such as GameSpot's month long video feature). Nothing personal against you but I am sick of reading BUT WHAT DO YOU DO?! when there's lots of info out there. Not detailed info but enough to give you a good idea of the basics.

But that fucking 'malevolent force' robot standing up, tho. Legit shook me. Fucking AMAZING. Holy goddamn fuck shit.

Can't wait to blaze and explore.

Heroman

Banned
Because every trailer sets out what you do.

How about you go and do some research because there's plenty of info out there (such as GameSpot's month long video feature). Nothing personal against you but I am sick of reading BUT WHAT DO YOU DO?! when there's lots of info out there. Not detailed info but enough to give you a good idea of the basics.

When it been a year and all of the traliers have been the same thing than there iis a huge problem.

apparently for people, shooting/hitting something = gameplay.

walking and flying around and exploring isn't gameplay, but shooting something is.

I can't shoot guns, it's not a real game.

But yeah, brilliant trailer. This is basically my dream game. And the music, god, the music.

Game4life

Banned
there's an extremely clear and specific 'what' it is, that has been explained in excruciating detail.

If you're confused as to what it is, what the objectives are, how it works, there's a billion articles explaining it in precise terms. There's nothing left to be confused about except 'will it function.'

They are insanely open and at this point I sort of think people are trying not to understand.

Maybe then can for a change make trailers that showcase these mechanics instead of doing the same walking for two minutes plus flying nonsense they keep doing every time. Reading articles is not enough to convince how it is going to work. Show it for a change.

Amir0x

Banned
Guys, man. The trailer DOES showcase the mechanics.

Here is exactly how it works

● You start on a random planet. Planet may be tough, may be easy. It's procedural.
● 90% of the planets are barren of life, emulating our actual universe. 10% will have life/civilization/story elements/etc.
● But every planet, no matter how barren of life, has resources for you to gather. You need these resources to continue your journey deeper into toward the center of the galaxy. Fuel, ship parts, cargo to sell, etc.
● The more resources you gather, the more you screw with the ecosystem, the more you gain the attention of a mysterious 'robot' protector that is meant to keep the balance in the universe and prevent destruction of ecosystems.
● The longer you harvest a planet, the tougher the robot guards they send at you - there are bipedal ones and ones that walk on four legs, but there's a multitude of different types.
● The goal of the game is to get to the center of the galaxy. Something mysterious is going on there, and you're trying to find out what it is. The closer you get to the center, the tougher the game gets - more enemy fleets, more enemies in space, more enemies on planets. Tougher evolved life.
● Each solar system has space stations you can go to. The bigger the solar system, the bigger the space station. Bigger the space station, the better equipment you can get there. You can follow any ship you see in space back to their space station of origin and buy the ship, for example.
● But you also can buy a host of other items that speed up resource gathering, ability to deal with enemies, ship upgrades, etc.
● There are portals - like you saw in the trailer - that once entered, will put you into a completely different part of the universe. What will be on the other hand is a complete mystery, but some will lead to great secrets.
● The narrative is there, but the game is made so that you never have to actually follow it if you don't like. It CAN be a 'walking simulator', it CAN be a game where you gather resources or make a planet your home base. But the goal is, and it takes 40-100 hours approximately to do it, is to find out what's going on in the center of the universe.
● There is a messaging service that you can use to talk to other players, but it's very possible you can pass another player and never even realize it's a real person. How social you want to get is up to you.

BigDug13

For some reason this is reminding me of Spore. A lot of procedural stuff going on but where's the depth? Why would I want to see everything? What do you actually do?

You shoot at enemy space craft. You mine resources and explore which nets you currency. That currency is used to purchase upgrades to your ship, your suit, and your gun. You can shoot at stuff like robots, you can shoot at enemy fleets, etc. Exploration provides money and money buys stuff, stuff that helps you travel further towards the center of the galaxy where you will face tougher robots and spacecraft.

● You start on a random planet. Planet may be tough, may be easy. It's procedural.
● 90% of the planets are barren of life, emulating our actual universe. 10% will have life/civilization/story elements/etc.
● But every planet, no matter how barren of life, has resources for you to gather. You need these resources to continue your journey deeper into toward the center of the galaxy. Fuel, ship parts, cargo to sell, etc.
● The more resources you gather, the more you screw with the ecosystem, the more you gain the attention of a mysterious 'robot' protector that is meant to keep the balance in the universe and prevent destruction of ecosystems.
● The longer you harvest a planet, the tougher the robot guards they send at you - there are bipedal ones and ones that walk on four legs, but there's a multitude of different types.
● The goal of the game is to get to the center of the galaxy. Something mysterious is going on there, and you're trying to find out what it is. The closer you get to the center, the tougher the game gets - more enemy fleets, more enemies in space, more enemies on planets. Tougher evolved life.
● Each solar system has space stations you can go to. The bigger the solar system, the bigger the space station. Bigger the space station, the better equipment you can get there. You can follow any ship you see in space back to their space station of origin and buy the ship, for example.
● But you also can buy a host of other items that speed up resource gathering, ability to deal with enemies, ship upgrades, etc.
● There are portals - like you saw in the trailer - that once entered, will put you into a completely different part of the universe. What will be on the other hand is a complete mystery, but some will lead to great secrets.
● The narrative is there, but the game is made so that you never have to actually follow it if you don't like. It CAN be a 'walking simulator', it CAN be a game where you gather resources or make a planet your home base. But the goal is, and it takes 40-100 hours approximately to do it, is to find out what's going on in the center of the universe.
● There is a messaging service that you can use to talk to other players, but it's very possible you can pass another player and never even realize it's a real person. How social you want to get is up to you.

'But I still don't get what the point is. Do you just fly around looking at trees? Looks boring. Spore 2 confirmed.

Amir0x

Banned
'But I still don't get what the point is. Do you just fly around looking at trees? Looks boring. Spore 2 confirmed.

I mean I get that people want a better gameplay demo, but there's really no confusion as to what the game is anymore. If people are still confused it's because at this point they're essentially refusing to do any research about the game, and it becomes their problem at that point :p

You can't expect Hello Games to coddle THAT level of inability to read anything they said a hundred times!

Thanks for the information

Unfortunately, that all sounds unbelievably boring. Like Animal Crossing in space boring.

Elandyll

Banned
I have a feel that this could very well be my GOTY 2015...

Funny thing is, the very Task/ Objective oriented people seem to really not understand what the hype is all about and sometime react very harshly it looks like.

Maybe it's ok to accept that not all games are for everybody?

In an case, I just cannot wait to get in that universe.

rexor0717

Still very excited for this, but I just want to see some focus on the combat at some point. They really seem to be shying away from showing it.

Gaz_RB

● There are portals - like you saw in the trailer - that once entered, will put you into a completely different part of the universe. What will be on the other side is a complete mystery, but some will lead to great secrets.
Saving this. God damn I'm so sick of seeing "But what do you even do? posts

Amir0x

Banned

Unfortunately, that all sounds unbelievably boring. Like Animal Crossing in space boring.

I mean that's perfectly understandable. It's not necessarily for everyone.

It definitely sounds like my dream game, putting on a 70s synth electronic soundtrack, exploring the dire darkness of space. Mmm, space exploration *swoon*

Still no clue what you do in this game.

They're being quiet for a reason. Sure it looks beautiful, because.... YOU DON'T ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING!

I'm betting you do exactly what we've seen in the videos. Fly from planet to planet... Like literally, that's what the game will be.

Maybe scanning plant/animal life like in Metroid Prime but there is nothing else to do in this game. They are running with the hype and not saying anything because there is nothing to say that hasn't been shown.

ib0QUtOXeEHDpb.gif

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
You shoot at enemy space craft. You mine resources and explore which nets you currency. That currency is used to purchase upgrades to your ship, your suit, and your gun. You can shoot at stuff like robots, you can shoot at enemy fleets, etc. Exploration provides money and money buys stuff, stuff that helps you travel further towards the center of the galaxy where you will face tougher robots and spacecraft.

Seeing the information makes it sound more interesting. The trailers have been pretty terrible in conveying what's supposed to be going on. Thanks for the info.

Cth

Just became aware of the game today and I'm hyped.

Kind of reminds me of a Mirrormoon in a way.. any chance there's a social aspect to the discovery portion of the game? IE: Claiming a new planet or discovering a new species?

Top Bottom