• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Gameplay Trailer (TGAs)

Amir0x

Banned
Is it? If a lot people don't know what their game is then it the developer fault.

Tomorrow we're supposed to get a gameplay demo of No Man's Sky if I understand correctly. Maybe they'll show people the type of vertical slice of gameplay that people will be able to grasp it without reading anything.

Sometimes that's just how games have to be shown these days :p

They're being quiet for a reason. Sure it looks beautiful, because.... YOU DON'T ACTUALLY DO ANYTHING!

I'm betting you do exactly what we've seen in the videos. Fly from planet to planet... Like literally, that's what the game will be.

Maybe scanning plant/animal life like in Metroid Prime but there is nothing else to do in this game. They are running with the hype and not saying anything because there is nothing to say that hasn't been shown.

Christ. You only have to look like 3 posts above yours to see some of the different aspects of the game. You're being almost seemingly proudly ignorant regarding the game.

I mean I get that people want a better gameplay demo, but there's really no confusion as to what the game is anymore. If people are still confused it's because at this point they're essentially refusing to do any research about the game, and it becomes their problem at that point :p

Heck even before that recent thread we've had pretty much the same info, except they just went more in depth with ship upgrades and how you start off the game. One of the only real new things we got from that were the robots.

But considering we just had a thread on it, the comments are truly ridiculous. People are really that curious about whether or not the game is more than just exploring yet they're too lazy to look up the info themselves (or ignore the GAF topics) and claim that people are hyped over nothing? Give me a break.

BlazeVoi

Banned
Guys, man. The trailer DOES showcase the mechanics.

Here is exactly how it works

● You start on a random planet. Planet may be tough, may be easy. It's procedural.
● 90% of the planets are barren of life, emulating our actual universe. 10% will have life/civilization/story elements/etc.
● But every planet, no matter how barren of life, has resources for you to gather. You need these resources to continue your journey deeper into toward the center of the galaxy. Fuel, ship parts, cargo to sell, etc.
● The more resources you gather, the more you screw with the ecosystem, the more you gain the attention of a mysterious 'robot' protector that is meant to keep the balance in the universe and prevent destruction of ecosystems.
● The longer you harvest a planet, the tougher the robot guards they send at you - there are bipedal ones and ones that walk on four legs, but there's a multitude of different types.
● The goal of the game is to get to the center of the galaxy. Something mysterious is going on there, and you're trying to find out what it is. The closer you get to the center, the tougher the game gets - more enemy fleets, more enemies in space, more enemies on planets. Tougher evolved life.
● Each solar system has space stations you can go to. The bigger the solar system, the bigger the space station. Bigger the space station, the better equipment you can get there. You can follow any ship you see in space back to their space station of origin and buy the ship, for example.
● But you also can buy a host of other items that speed up resource gathering, ability to deal with enemies, ship upgrades, etc.
● There are portals - like you saw in the trailer - that once entered, will put you into a completely different part of the universe. What will be on the other hand is a complete mystery, but some will lead to great secrets.
● The narrative is there, but the game is made so that you never have to actually follow it if you don't like. It CAN be a 'walking simulator', it CAN be a game where you gather resources or make a planet your home base. But the goal is, and it takes 40-100 hours approximately to do it, is to find out what's going on in the center of the universe.
● There is a messaging service that you can use to talk to other players, but it's very possible you can pass another player and never even realize it's a real person. How social you want to get is up to you.

But "why" ? Why do we do those things you've listed?

Wait, is this like minecraft? Is that what you're saying? If so I understand, I think.

Also, I find it INCREDIBLY suspicious that they are not showing on foot combat. My bs radar is going off for some reason.

I will wait until I get some sort of hands on before passing judgement.....

Heroman

Banned
Tomorrow we're supposed to get a gameplay demo of No Man's Sky if I understand correctly. Maybe they'll show people the type of vertical slice of gameplay that people will be able to grasp it without reading anything.

Sometimes that's just how games have to be shown these days :p

Well that how every game is shown, by showing gameplay not the same thing 3 times

Just became aware of the game today and I'm hyped.

Kind of reminds me of a Mirrormoon in a way.. any chance there's a social aspect to the discovery portion of the game? IE: Claiming a new planet or discovering a new species?
Everyone shares the same galaxy. You can actually meet up with a friend if you want but don't expect to do so in one sitting just because how how vast this galaxy is. However, if you are the first to discover a planet or species then everyone else who discovers it will see that you discovered it first. That is assuming you are online, the game can be played offline as well.

Hoje0308

Banned
Is it? If a lot people don't know what their game is then it the developer fault.

The developer has made it very clear what the game is about. If you know about games well before release, yet can't be bothered to occasionally use Google, then that's your fault. There was JUST a very detailed write up by GI. There's also a thread covering it on NeoGAF. I'm sure most other forums followed suit.
In short, if you claim to be interested, but are still ignorant, that is your fault. The developer shouldn't have to remotely operate your browser for you.

Because exploration.

Good lord people, it's a space exploration game. You explore for the adventure. They've already said the "end goal" is to get to the center of the galaxy. Why? BECAUSE ADVENTURE. BECAUSE EXPLORATION. BECAUSE BEAUTIFUL THINGS TO SEE, FIND, AND POSSIBLY FIGHT.

sobvjlasdbvjlsd;kvbs;dbv;lsdjkbgv;ln

legacyzero

Banned

Wait, is this like minecraft? Is that what you're saying? If so I understand, I think.

Also, I find it INCREDIBLY suspicious that they are not showing on foot combat. My bs radar is going off for some reason.

Just BECAUSE.

Emergent Gameplay is a powerful thing. You can't explain the why.

Hello Games has said that NMS has an endgame at the center of the galaxy, though.

GhaleonEB

The game is probably a year away at this point. We'll get gameplay soon enough.

I have a feeling it will be the shooting equivalent of Minecraft's combat. Very simple but effective, given what the game is really about.

Choomp

Banned
Goddamn, the music compliments the world so nicely in that trailer. Probably won't be the case in the game, but whatever the game still looks stunning.

In a sense like minecraft. Here I'd say you have more of a clear motivation though, which is to progress to the center of the universe.

vpance

NMS needs an objectives map like this

assassins-creed-unity-icons.jpg

Then I think many people will feel at ease.

BigDug13

You youngins these days want to be spoon fed complete game walkthroughs before the game even releases. What happened to the good old days when your only info about a game was some magazine article and then the game releases? I think people have too many expectations for the developer of a game to completely spoil the entire experience pre-release.

Some devs want their game to stay mysterious until they release. Rockstar still does it.

Amir0x

Banned

"Why" is to get the sufficient ability to survive to the center of the universe, to discover the mystery at the center of the game's narrative. Because the closer you get to the center, the tougher it is.

The robots that are out to protect each planet's ecosystem are part of it. They are apparently being led by whatever is at the center of the galaxy. They are meant to keep 'balance' in the universe. But something is going wrong, it's unclear what that something is (I suspect they don't want to spoil the story for us), and it's one of those ambiguous things that you have to motivate yourself to want to find out about. The game is completely open and has literally billions upon billions of planets, so you can get completely lost in just exploring for the rest of your life and never even come remotely close to seeing everything. So, the drive is there... the structure is there... but you have to want to do it.

It's not like Minecraft, in that I don't think you can build structures. But you do gather for resources, and those resources are used to either sell to make money for more upgrades or for your ship itself (like fuel). It's possible to run out of fuel and be stranded on a planet and to have to try to find a way off by searching for the proper stuff on the planet.

If you get killed while you are holding cargo, you lose your cargo and it can be quite expensive and a loss of time.

There are space battles, there are on foot battles with robots. The one thing they haven't shown and I agree they should is how it'll work on foot in combat against robots. Are we going to have an arsenal of guns? In this they still need to reveal a little information yet about how that works.

They have showed a glimpse on foot combat, it's in one of the trailers (even if it's only for a split second).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Jesus man, why are you people getting so defensive over it? I don't get what this game is, I am not going to search for it, and read an article which I don't even know when it came out. There is a reason we get a gameplay trailer with commentary, specially games like this needs it. Stop telling people to research on their own when I don't find the game interesting at the first place.

Because exploration.

Good lord people, it's a space exploration game. You explore for the adventure. They've already said the "end goal" is to get to the center of the galaxy. Why? BECAUSE ADVENTURE

Are gamers so devoid of imagination they now need to be held by the hand at everything that doesn't give them a goal? When you see a box of Legos do you need it to have a predetermined shape or you'll just give up?

This is the same shit with Minecraft. The sense of wonder and wanting to know what's out there is like the basis of human exploration and the basis of so much amazing sci-fi and fantasy stories. There's things to explore outside your comfort zone and here's a developer allowing you to scratch that itch, even if in a virtual fashion. I love that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Because, I'm sorry, but your princess is on another planet.
I am not going to search for it, and read an article which I don't even know when it came out.
What about the game's official About page? Minimal searching required and straight from the horse's mouth explanation of the game. Still too much to ask?

Jesus man, why are you people getting so defensive over it? I don't get what this game is, I am not going to search for it, and read an article which I don't even know when it came out. There is a reason we get a gameplay trailer with commentary, specially games like this needs it. Stop telling people to research on their own when I don't find the game interesting at the first place.

...Then why are you here? What is your end goal? Do you just need someone to spoon feed you information?

Hoje0308

Banned
Because exploration.

Good lord people, it's a space exploration game. You explore for the adventure. They've already said the "end goal" is to get to the center of the galaxy. Why? BECAUSE ADVENTURE. BECAUSE EXPLORATION. BECAUSE BEAUTIFUL THINGS TO SEE, FIND, AND POSSIBLY FIGHT.

This is pretty much the reason the racing genre tried for years to implement a story. People will demand some form of motivation to get them doing things that they would otherwise have no interest in. "An adventure game?! I have no interest in that but I'll go on the internet and complain about how the game doesn't cater to people that have no interest in it. "Murica!"

Heroman

Banned
The developer has made it very clear what the game is about. If you know about games well before release, yet can't be bothered to occasionally use Google, then that's your fault. There was JUST a very detailed write up by GI. There's also a thread covering it on NeoGAF. I'm sure most other forums followed suit.
In short, if you claim to be interested, but are still ignorant, that is your fault. The developer shouldn't have to remotely operate your browser for you.
No they didn't. All the trailers they have shown have been the same thing. If a lot of people have to look up shit by the 3rd trailer than the developer pr is doing a bad job. What games have you known that people still had question like what is this game about by the 3rdd trailer?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Because exploration.

I'll be interested to see whether "exploration" feels meaningful and rewarding in the context of an infinite universe without a designer.

Even if the game turns out not to be much fun I think it will be undeniably valuable as an experiment and proof of concept.

Erm, obviously no one was expecting a full-blown flight model or anything, but for a game where piloting your ship around a massive universe is so central to the core gameplay loop (err, presumably?), it sure does look like you're just noclipping a camera around some placeholder assets.

But to be fair, this might just be the Molyneux anger seeping through again.

100%. Flying a camera dolly around a universe does not look fun at all.

As others have expressed, I'm sceptical until some bonafide mechanics other than flying and walking are shown in a representative manner.

I just hope that this game isn't paving the way for 'procedural generation' being the new 'open-world', in that - much like GTAV - it eschews decent and satisfying mechanics for gaming's flavour of the month (albeit done very well).

It is damn intriguing, though, I'll give it that.

DJ88

Kinda bummed the No Man's Sky trailer was just another iteration of the same exact trailer we've already seen twice already. It sucks seeing all these "So what do you do in this game?!" "Do we just fly around and look at planets??" comments every single time they release a new trailer. I would tell all those people to read the tons of info that's out there saying exactly what you do and that there's more to it than just that, but I shouldn't have to. These new trailers should really be showing some of that stuff. They still have tomorrow though so I'm gonna wait and see.

Riposte

The game is probably a year away at this point. We'll get gameplay soon enough.

I have a feeling it will be the shooting equivalent of Minecraft's combat. Very simple but effective, given what the game is really about.

Minecraft's combat is effective?

Aside from that, I think you have a good prediction there.

EDIT: I like how "exploration" has come to mean "being in a game where you don't do other things". Like, if I run around a map (a map made by a human being, especially), but also shoot things, solve puzzles, etc., then I'm not exploring, I'm shooting things and solving puzzles.

Are we going to have an arsenal of guns?

I remember them saying before that there was a "Multi Tool" (which was shown in the first trailer) that is used for mining, scanning (I think), and could be used as a weapon that is upgradable. I also remember them mentioning some kind of plasma grenade.

KePoW

Banned
Need to quote this a hundred times. It's been stated what you do in this game besides exploring. For those asking if there is shooting, yes there is both on foot shooting and spacecraft shooting.

Ok well that's cool, but can we see it?

To me combat is the most important part of video games, not the world generation. (but the worlds in NMS do look pretty cool so far)

In Far Cry 4 why do we do the things we do? To scatter our mothers ashes? But that's just an arbitrary story element, take it away and there is still plenty of fun gameplay that you do simply for entertainment. And that's pretty much what NMS is: a Far Cry like game where you can roam around, hunt animals or observe them, collect scattered resources, shoot at some faction if you want, take up some bounties, upgrade your gear, and such. You can do all this in NMS, it just doesn't have any directed story missions.

Thanks for the information

Unfortunately, that all sounds unbelievably boring. Like Animal Crossing in space boring.

it sounds boring to play for long stretches but sounds like it will be really fun to just relax to, plus seamless entry and exit from planets is always going to be an amazing feature.

Hoje0308

Banned

Yes, let's stop holding people accountable for their own self-induced ignorance. What a beautiful world that would be. If you aren't interested enough to type a few words into a search engine, then you have no right to complain that they haven't gone out of their way to email you specifically.

Amir0x

Banned
Anyway in advance I'm hiring for my No Man's Sky exploration crew. NeoGAF crew are dedicated to human expansion in the universe and we fear no dark corner of our galaxy.

FLY WITH ME SPACE DUDES

RedSwirl

Guys, man. The trailer DOES showcase the mechanics.

Here is exactly how it works

● You start on a random planet. Planet may be tough, may be easy. It's procedural.
● 90% of the planets are barren of life, emulating our actual universe. 10% will have life/civilization/story elements/etc.
● But every planet, no matter how barren of life, has resources for you to gather. You need these resources to continue your journey deeper into toward the center of the galaxy. Fuel, ship parts, cargo to sell, etc.
● The more resources you gather, the more you screw with the ecosystem, the more you gain the attention of a mysterious 'robot' protector that is meant to keep the balance in the universe and prevent destruction of ecosystems.
● The longer you harvest a planet, the tougher the robot guards they send at you - there are bipedal ones and ones that walk on four legs, but there's a multitude of different types.
● The goal of the game is to get to the center of the galaxy. Something mysterious is going on there, and you're trying to find out what it is. The closer you get to the center, the tougher the game gets - more enemy fleets, more enemies in space, more enemies on planets. Tougher evolved life.
● Each solar system has space stations you can go to. The bigger the solar system, the bigger the space station. Bigger the space station, the better equipment you can get there. You can follow any ship you see in space back to their space station of origin and buy the ship, for example.
● But you also can buy a host of other items that speed up resource gathering, ability to deal with enemies, ship upgrades, etc.
● There are portals - like you saw in the trailer - that once entered, will put you into a completely different part of the universe. What will be on the other hand is a complete mystery, but some will lead to great secrets.
● The narrative is there, but the game is made so that you never have to actually follow it if you don't like. It CAN be a 'walking simulator', it CAN be a game where you gather resources or make a planet your home base. But the goal is, and it takes 40-100 hours approximately to do it, is to find out what's going on in the center of the universe.
● There is a messaging service that you can use to talk to other players, but it's very possible you can pass another player and never even realize it's a real person. How social you want to get is up to you.

This makes it sound like you just distilled it for people who need conventional games that tell you to do one thing and lead you by the hand. It's understandable though, since games like this aren't common on consoles at all.

To people who don't understand "why," the "why" of it is basically because you want to, or in order to live. You can say it's like Minecraft in that respect, but extrapolated to exploring space instead of building things. That's what space sandbox/simulation games are about. They just put you in a world with a shitload of factors and let you do whatever you want as those factors react to you.

To be honest I could totally see myself just spending all my time exploring one planet if its terrain and environment is varied enough, or even just one solar system.

Finally, this is probably a really tough game to show off well in a two-minute reel. I really do hope they have a really lengthy stream or something for the TGAs or later on.

sorry brotha, you know I got love for ya, but shit sounds like something you put on in the background and pay half attention to. Fly some randomly assembled level, probably have some not-very-satisfying combat with the enemy types they repeat for 40 hours randomly, fly to another world maybe...there's that dragon thing from Space Harrier I guess...portal to another random world where everything is blue instead of greeen now...maybe some UbiSoft crafting resources...alright

like something you play for a little bit in-between more mechanically interesting games or maybe you don't feel like playing anything so "fuck it no man's sky I guess"

Top Bottom