• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ninja Kn1ght said:
DID THEY FIX THE CLOCK/BATTERY METER THING!?

I hope not. Its an endearing "feature" I like on the PS3. My friends without a PS3 know and come over every once in a while and say "I hope they have not fixed it" and we have a great laugh every time.

Plus if they fix it before 3.0 I lose a case of beer to one of my friends. But if they fix it at or after 3.0 I get 5 cases.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
You still have to download and install the photo gallery seperately. :lol :lol :lol
It's over 100MB :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
h3ro said:
I just hope they don't add any new icons with this update. I hate having missing icons in my themes...

If anything it seems the gallery icon has its own icon.

Varth

Anyone else feeling the need to be able to organize functions in the XBM? I'd really like to put the 2 or 3 I use the most on top, maybe leaving the others in a "subfolder" thingie.

Goldrusher

lubczyk said:
Divx 3.11? What the hell? I can encode a 2-hour 720p movie into x264 in less than 1 hour and 20 minutes, Why in the world anyone use DivX? Even DivX 7 is painfully slow compared to x264.
Many, many users saved and/or burned many, many 3.11 videos in the first half of this decade.
It's possibly the third most requested feature, after the clock fix and PS2 bc.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So another worthless update that kills my internet for an hour. I would not mind these updates if they were like the 360 and were small downloads. It is these updates that keep me from using my PS3 to play online games. I don't feel like downloading a new update every few weeks that adds nothing worth while.

quest said:
So another worthless update that kills my internet for an hour. I would not mind these updates if they were like the 360 and were small downloads. It is these updates that keep me from using my PS3 to play online games. I don't feel like downloading a new update every few weeks that adds nothing worth while.

You done did it now.

Goldrusher

Blimblim said:
DivX 3.11? Now that's interesting, since that codec was just a hacked version of MS's MP4 codec. It's always been a 100% illegal codec, and supporting it officially is basically telling the world that it's ok to watch pirated movies on the PS3.
Good old bipolar Sony, but I'm sure MKV will be much more difficult to support officially since it's in direct opposition with blu-ray.
See below:
divx.com said:
To date, over 100 million DivX Certified® products have been shipped into the market, and it is anticipated PS3 will significantly expand that number.
divx.com said:
DivX Certified home theater products are required to play DivX 3.11
So it's actually way overdue...

oneHeero

quest said:

oneHeero said:
OMG SONY ANOTHER UPDATE?!?!?! I HATE UPDATING MY PS3 WITH THESE CHEAP FEATURES OMG I HATE IT SO MUCH I CANT STAND THAT EVERYTIME I TURN ON MY PS3 THERE IS A 30MIN UPDATE. B LIKE MS SONY, DO BIG UPDATES ONRY!!!!!

ARGH!! NOOOOOO!1
:lol

iFootball

Dizzle24 said:
Who uses the PS3 as a picture library? :lol
The only pics I have on my PS3 are wallpapers.
What a waste of firmware!

Huh?... I do... and they look great on our HDTV... the PS3 is really convenient when I can either store photos in it, or stream them from my PC in a mater of seconds after copying them from the camera into the PC... My family in general loves this PS3 feature and actually enjoys sitting in the living room watching all our photos in our HDTV along some streaming music.... my 55+ y.o. dad has learned to use the PS3 by himself just for this very purpose...

so... answering your question... I'm sorry but, "we do..."

pd:... In before the "gaming console is used as media center! (so it fails as a gaming console)" comments...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware

That seems a bit..clumsy? It's gonna be a seperate app outside of the XMB? Why not integrate it with the existing photo/slideshow functionality?

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
That seems a bit..clumsy? It's gonna be a seperate app outside of the XMB? Why not integrate it with the existing photo/slideshow functionality?

Because it seems to be a whole lot deeper than a slideshow mode. It categorizes and has facial recognition and such it seems. We will know more tomorrow.

Goldrusher

gofreak said:
IIRC current firmwares store most of the application stuff on the hard drive.
So I guess if you don't want Home, Folding@Home / Life with PlayStation or Photo Gallery, you also don't have to waste HDD space on it. Or download / traffic.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This should also fix the trophy syncing error/save game error that people were getting when changing their psn id or password.

Blimblim said:
DivX 3.11? Now that's interesting, since that codec was just a hacked version of MS's MP4 codec. It's always been a 100% illegal codec, and supporting it officially is basically telling the world that it's ok to watch pirated movies on the PS3.
Good old bipolar Sony, but I'm sure MKV will be much more difficult to support officially since it's in direct opposition with blu-ray.

Well they probably got so many complaints from people who honestly didn't know any better (they got files from a friend, son or daughter, etc.) that their movie files weren't working. I guess Sony figured complete compatibility was a better choice than trying to close the barn doors after the fact.

sajj316

dallow_bg said:
This should also fix the trophy syncing error/save game error that people were getting when changing their psn id or password.

this and the time it takes to compare trophies as well as viewing YOUR OWN profile. At least make it quick to view my own profile. Never quite understood why it takes such a long time to pull static data.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
InterMoniker said:
Sooo why is that funny? You don't have to download it and it's free.
You don't have to download the 100MB of data if you want the photo gallery?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
sykoex said:
You don't have to download the 100MB of data?

I'm assuming it's part of the update, you don't have to install it if you don't want it.

Slavik81

Does the improved DivX support mean that the PS3 won't complain just because the audio is 160kbps rather than 128kbps or that the video is 903kbps rather than 902kbps?

It's VERY, VERY picky about what video it will play. I have so many files with nearly the same encoding that won't play just because it doesn't like the bitrate.

AndyD

aka andydumi
sykoex said:
You don't have to download the 100MB of data if you want the photo gallery?

No. Like Folding@Home or Home, it simply adds an icon. When you first click the icon it asks if you want to download.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
sajj316 said:
this and the time it takes to compare trophies as well as viewing YOUR OWN profile. At least make it quick to view my own profile. Never quite understood why it takes such a long time to pull static data.
I meant that it will be fixed in this update. :) Not that it should.

Was confirmed by the Sony mods in the EU forum that the fix will be in this update which hits soon.

As for the loading time. Who knows.
It used to be fast for me, now it's slow.

sykoex said:
You don't have to download the 100MB of data?
No you don't it'll be a new icon under the photo tab like Home, F@H, Life with Playstation ect.

Edit: Like AndyD said above =)

Oh and nice stealth edit.

sajj316

dallow_bg said:
I meant that it will be fixed in this update. :) Not that it should.

Was confirmed by the Sony mods in the EU forum that the fix will be in this update which hits soon.

As for the loading time. Who knows.
It used to be fast for me, now it's slow.

ahh ... that's good to hear. It is a tad faster for me but I expect stuff like this to load in 2-3 seconds versus 6-10.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Blimblim said:

:lol

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
There's a couple more things that come with the update.

- 3-D Secure Support: 3-D secure of credit cards are now supported (whatever that means).

- XMB Theme Support on Blu-ray movie discs. You can apparently download themes from BD movies. The first movie to have this feature will be "Pineapple Express".

- HDD game data can be deleted during gameplay if the HDD becomes full.

- Safe Mode. A warning is added to mention to "Restore Default Settings" apparently when the PS3 needs to.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
InterMoniker said:
No you don't it'll be a new icon under the photo tab like Home, F@H, Life with Playstation ect.

Edit: Like AndyD said above =)

Oh and nice stealth edit.

Sorry I'm just surprised that a photo gallery app would be so big that it couldn't be already included in a system update install. But I guess it does a lot so whatever. It'd be cool if it had photo editing/scrapbooking capabilities. Like adding captions, borders, or "stickers".

Darkmakaimura said:

- 3-D Secure Support: 3-D secure of credit cards are now supported (whatever that means).

- XMB Theme Support on Blu-ray movie discs. You can apparently download themes from BD movies. The first movie to have this feature will be "Pineapple Express".

- Safe Mode. A warning is added to mention to "Restore Default Settings" apparently when the PS3 needs to.
Nice.

Darkmakaimura said:

Wow, cool :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Darkmakaimura said:

So I can insert credit cards into the Blu Ray slot now?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
The Faceless Master said:
fuuuuuuuck, another HOUR LONG FIRMWARE UPDATE SONY!!!!

seriously, he should record it this time so we can see how godawful it is for him.
Don't they have super fast internet speeds in japan though?

Asparagus

Hellraizer said:
Again: PS3 media server. It supports srt, mkv encoding (remuxing) on the fly and many other things.

As long as this app works, I really don't care if Sony adds mkv and srt support.

I'd prefer that they were supported natively but yeah, I'm checking this out now.

AndyD

aka andydumi
sykoex said:
Sorry I'm just surprised that a photo gallery app would be so big that it couldn't be already included in a system update install. But I guess it does a lot so whatever. It'd be cool if it had photo editing/scrapbooking capabilities. Like adding captions, borders, or "stickers".

I have wanted the captions, borders, stickers function for a while so I hope its in there. I mainly want to be able to make happy birthday or merry Christmas type cards. Especially since we can send those pictures to friends and family.

Next I would like the long rumored update to the video editing software to allow the same thing, and allow sending of short videos to each other. Same use as above, I want to send happy birthday type short messages, 10-30 seconds.

Top Bottom