• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén official site update: 'How to Play' manual, new Support Pokémon

ash_ag

Just caught this on Twitter.

Pokkén's official website has updated. They seem to have added some information for the location test, which is this Saturday. They included a manual detailing the basic controls and gameplay of the game. PDF here.

Also confirms Frogadier and Eevee appear as assist Pokémon. The latter was teased in the steam.
ZKo2WUn.png

This seems to be a new stage. The third that we know of (fourth, counting the Game Show teaser's city stage):

Plus a new Trainer character:

And here's a nice view at the controls:

Hatchtag

Banned
Frogadier surprises me. I think Greninja's one of the more likely Pokemon to be playable, so I wonder if this hurts his chances.

SmithnCo

Will be fun to see what people can pull off at the location tests. Personally I like that it's based around the D-pad too.

FluxWaveZ

Last I checked, Wii U version hasn't been officially announced yet, no?

Not to mention, that's not even a Wii U controller being shown. D-pad only, one trigger on each side.

It's a controller. How many arcade fighting games have controllers as the default input?

Weird that they would make their own controller for it if they're not using conventional sticks. Just grab the Wii U Pro controller or the U Tablets at that point.

emb

Standard, Power, and Technic, eh? Didn't realize they were in categories like that. Pretty cool.

Geg

Hopefully Chespin's not shown as a support yet because Chesnaught's in as a playable fighter...

Frogadier uses Water Pulse and Eevee uses Helping Hand, which looks like it raises attack and restores HP

Diffense

What are the chances that this game will be at Apex (Nintendo Lounge) along with Splatoon? After the Splatoon announcement a Nintendo guy tweeted something like, "that's not all". Made me wonder. It's a fighting game and there is a demo complete enough for a Japanese location test at around the same time (Jan 30). Just wondering. There are obviously other possibilities and I suppose it's not likely for the first NA appearance of the game to be at Apex. On the other hand Nintendo at Apex is unprecendented.

Anyway, I want to know more about this game even though I've never cared for Fighting games. Should I be ashamed that I'm interested because it's Pokemon? :p There's something intriguing about battling with Pokemon outside of the usual turn based battles.

No arcade stick layout?

The game doesn't even use a stick on the machine itself.

It's a controller. How many arcade fighting games have controllers as the default input?

Few, but this is Namco, they might allow sticks to be plugged up to the thing. Tekken 5 for example allowed you to use PS2 controllers on the Arcade machines.

just watch all the Eeveelutions get in

Eeveelutions=Koopalings of Pokken confirmed

I love Eeveelutions but all of them being in the game would be ridiculous. At best it should be a bunch of palette swaps, like Bowser Jr In Smash Bros 4. Then again Eevee is only an assist, so sure put them all in there I guess if they are assists.

Busaiku

What are the chances that this game will be at Apex (Nintendo Lounge) along with Splatoon? After the Splatoon announcement a Nintendo guy tweeted something like, "that's not all". Made me wonder. It's a fighting game and there is a demo complete enough for a Japanese location test at around the same time (Jan 30). Just wondering. There are obviously other possibilities and I suppose it's not likely for the first NA appearance of the game to be at Apex. On the other hand Nintendo at Apex is unprecendented.

Anyway, I want to know more about this game even though I've never cared for Fighting games. Should I be ashamed that I'm interested because it's Pokemon? :p There's something intriguing about battling with Pokemon outside of the usual turn based battles.
Low, because Nintendo's not involved with the project at this point.

FluxWaveZ

The game doesn't even use a stick on the machine itself.

Yeah, that's what I mean; obviously, I doubt there'd be several types of Pokken cabinets with different control schemes. It's only now that I learned that it's not going to have an arcade stick layout, which was kinda surprising.

Few, but this is Namco, they might allow sticks to be plugged up to the thing. Tekken 5 for example allowed you to use PS2 controllers on the Arcade machines.

That's interesting.

JoeM86

Right

Frogadier uses Water Pulse which rapidly shoots out discs while Eevee uses Helping Hand which boosts your attack power and restores health.

Also, the specials (may have got the combinations wrong. I'm terrible with Kanji):

Pikachu
Specials:
A: Thunderbolt
A + Forward: Nuzzle
A + Back: Electro Ball
(In Mid Air) A: Thunder (Cancel with R)

Machamp
A: Beat Up
A (After Beat Up): Cross Chop
A + Forward: Submission
A + Down: Close Combat

Suicune
A: Aurora Beam
A + Forward: Hydro Pump
A + Back: Mirror Coat
(In Mid Air) A: Blizzard

Gardevoir
A: Psyshock
A + Forward: Assist Power
A + X + Back: Calm Mind & Psychic
(In Mid Air) A: Magical Leaf

Lucario
A: Aura Sphere
Forward + AA: Bone Rush
A + Back: Force Palm
Up + A: Extreme Speed

Working on the descriptors. May just prod StreetsAhead and leave it for him when he wakes up :p

Reminds me of this
*images*

Damn that looks neat. Never seen one of those before.

Right

Frogadier uses Water Pulse which rapidly shoots out discs while Eevee uses Helping Hand which boosts your attack power and restores health.

Also, the specials (may have got the combinations wrong. I'm terrible with Kanji):

Pikachu
Specials:
Hold A: Thunder (Cancel with R)

Machamp

Suicune
Hold A: Blizzard

Gardevoir
Hold A: Magical Leaf

Lucario
Hold A: Extreme Speed

Working on the descriptors

Surprised Pikachu doesn't have Volt Tackle, at least because of the anime at this point.

Right

Thank you!

Wonder what the input for Pikachu's EWGF is. I think the videos showed him doing a roll beforehand so maybe something like back+A then Y or X quickly?

Syril

Right

Pikachu
Specials:
Hold A: Thunder (Cancel with R)

Machamp

Suicune
Hold A: Blizzard

Gardevoir
Hold A: Magical Leaf

Lucario
Hold A: Extreme Speed

Working on the descriptors. May just prod StreetsAhead and leave it for him when he wakes up :p

I thought 空中で meant "in mid-air".

:O I hope greninja is still playable, my favorite starter in gen6(but to be honest all of gen6 starters are great so id be even happier if they were all in)

keakster

Love the controller design <3, so sexy

Reminds me of N64 controllers without the joystick nub. Could be easily translated to an arcade stick though, 6 buttons plus movement. I think that I read they wanted to have a traditional controller as some found an arcade stick more intimidating

Diffense

Thanks for the translations.

I don't think a Frogadier assist lessens Greninja's chances of being in. Pokemon that aren't good fits for a fighting game or cute pre-evos seem more likely to be assists. All the assits so far are Pokemon with limbs unsuitable for kicking/punching or cutemon/pre-evos. All the fighters are fully evolved except Pikachu (because it's Piakchu). So I think Greninja could still be in even if its pre-evo is an assist.

Malice215

I was surprised to see a controller instead of an arcade stick layout, but I guess this was done to make the game as accessible as possible.

And if there's any future Wii U plans, it doesn't make any sense to marry the game to an arcade button layout. Looking forward to see how this game does in the arcade.

Top Bottom