• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turok_TTZ

The best place to buy manga is always at the shop, physically, so you can check the volume proper and avoid a faulty one.
holy shit, I didn't even think about this. thank you for bringing this detail to my attention. will be especially useful as I intend to have a backup collection of negima manga if something happens to my primary collection. i prefer my manga in top condition.

I buy them all online because I don't have a place to buy them physically close by and with the amount of manga I buy monthly it would be annoying to got get them as well.
Amazon is pretty good here: free shipping when purchasing 19€+ of products, manga have a 15% discount and the whole pre-order price guarantee are good incentives. The packaging is a bit on the meh side.
Though Amazon's selection is a bit lacking when it comes to Italian publishers, so I have to spread my purchases around.
I have three Negima omnibus bought through amazon and I agree, the packaging could be a lot better. Having said that, amazon done me no wrong with the manga.

Reading a UQ Holder thread and it made me laugh how much people were jumping over each other to make sure we all knew that they didn't like the fanservice in Negima because they are normal and not weird. Just FYI, not a pervo. In case you didn't know.
I don't know whether to laugh or keep silent.

elyetis

1Mmb.gif

Shioon is really letting me down here.
Perfectly sum up my feeling too.

Azure J

I'm pretty curious on MangaGAF's list of disappointing endings.

Ciguatera comes to mind immediately. A legitimately fun little rom-com goes from the funniest thing ever to "man what a total bummer/why did I invest in this" in the transition from its second to last to last chapter. The disappointment comes from the idea that nothing suggested the final outcome save for one weird slipped in instance in a prior chapter and the chemistry between the main duo was legit. (Being purposely vague for the sake of new readers)

It's like I recognize it as a good series but man I felt so deflated at the end.

Quixzlizx

Nisekoi 156

#dead. But not as dead as Raku.

Next chapter, it's revealed that the gangs have discovered the deception and've ordered hits on the lead duo. Raku and Chitoge are mercilessly gunned down in a hail of bullets and bleed out in each-other's arms. Kosaki is caught in the crossfire because she sucks. Happy end.

Damn it, I was going to quote those panels. Marika <3

Notice how I'm not mentioning the plot, for good reason.

dani_dc

Liar Game 201 END

I really don't know what the author was thinking.
How the heck did he finance this with "just" 5 billion?

Didn't Yokoya earned billions by himself at this points?

And for that matter, who makes a threat and gives out 5 billion to the people making the threat?

Lets not even mention the entire "non-ending".

You could tell the author ran out of ideas awhile ago, the entire arc was uninteresting and the last few chapters rushed over to end the game as quickly as possible.

Tokyo Ghoul:Re Chapter 14

NfFHsFa.jpg

Yes Yes Yesssssss! Something huge is gonna go down during the upcoming Auction Arc, I just can feel it. Things are getting intense as it seems Suzuya is gonna confront Big Madam, it's definitely not gonna be a warm reunion. Mutsuki seems to have a deathflag dropped on her as she's gonna be the decoy for CCG's operation. Shirazu gave Haise his testament which was called Book of Sui. Now I'm interested on why it's called after the Mangaka's name, it must be really important.

So Ghoul's have been around since the Samurai era, this is really interesting. I'm actually glad Ishida's going this route instead of experiment gone wrong route which has been done a million times. The Washuu's clan are also a prestigious family that hunts Ghouls, going back to the 1800s.

Man do I want a spinoff about Ghouls in the past or during the Samurai era. It would be so interesting.

The new character that was introduced Matsuri from the Washuu clan may be a ass, but at least he knows what he's doing.

And look who's back. It's Eto, hell yes.

Is it me or does Akira look beautiful, like holy shit. Now that I think about it her character design is brilliant, it just looks so good. God I can't wait when she meets Amon, tears will be flowing.

dani_dc

I'm also talking about the drama twists that are just sad and pathetic instead of compelling or rage-inducing.

The series started more drama heavy than GE, the worst so far being
that the adoptive-sister/teacher the MC has a crush on was having an affair with an older married teacher
which would probably fall on your definition of "sad and pathetic".
In more recent chapters though, it seems to have shifted gears and focusing instead on the creation of an harem.

Though it's anyone guess how long it will be before drama returns.

At the very least I'm not annoyed at the lack of advancement by the main character.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm pretty curious on MangaGAF's list of disappointing endings.

One man's meat is another man's poison, pretty sure there will be many instances where we disagree with what's disappointing.

For example, I thought Slam Dunk ending was great but I read many comments that think it ended too abruptly. I would also prefer Kokou no Hito ending to be ambiguous, I don't need to see if he survive or not in the last chapter. I just need to watch him crawl his way to the peak after abandoning every mortal man desire for mountain climbing.

dani_dc

Centaur's Worries 57

Not a big fan of jumping out of the story in last week chapter, but I'm thinking we might get a tie in of how Class President ended up in the other dimension before going back to Hime side of the story.

So cute though.

Poor Sue has to worry about the wings and the tail.

And amazon dumping is fair?

Theres something wrong when booksellers cant even buy books for what amazon sells them at.

Then they need to change their practices. Something is wrong when a local comic book place is selling manga at msrp and i can get it from amzn at no shipping cost for $3+ off (also poor selection in a bookstore).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Domestic na Kanojo

Huh, I am surprised about how I like the lead on this one so far. He's a good kid.

15 chapters in, and the story is good so far, and can be touching at times too. A good main character, which is a surprise considering this is from the guy that created GE (bleh)

arumisan

Been lurking this thread on and off for a couple of years finally decided to post... because of this:

Liar Game END
Holy cow. What a disappointing and unfulfilling ending. It was one of the first manga I begam reading after picking up the habit of manga-reading again at the beginning of '13 and have been eagerly waiting each release. It's just so freakin' disappointing...

EDIT:
Domestic na Kanojo

Huh, I am surprised about how I like the lead on this one so far. He's a good kid.

15 chapters in, and the story is good so far, and can be touching at times too. A good main character, which is a surprise considering this is from the guy that created GE (bleh)

Never read GE (and don't really want to start judging by all the comments I've heard), but I'm quite enjoying this series (just read chapter 23).

Liar Game 201 (end)
What a shitty end. If this is the end they better have some kind of sequel planned or something.
I'd rather see a new series than a sequel to LG. It's pretty clear that the author doesn't care anymore for the setting and for the characters. The games got less and less interesting even after a long hiatus that it looked like as it was due to the author "collecting ideas".
One Outs had a better structured plot and a decent end.

Pretty much everything. Easier to make a list of shit that doesn't have a disappointing ending.
That goes for anime and games as well.

You need to start reading some Kazuo Koike stuff, mang.

The Breaker New Breakings 189
Man, seeing 4 teeth guy get worried about wrinkly guy gets me all misty eyed. Here's hoping that the writer goes full cliche and makes the gaju throw himself between them. Again.

diaspora

Domestic na Kanojo

He seems like a normal guy that happens to be a victim of shitty circumstance.

Shengar

Honestly the number of manga with totally shit "the author gave up" endings is sort of distressing.
Not all mangaka is a capable author. Even moreso if they can't hold themselves from adding new (shit) ideas that supposedly shouldn't be there and derail or clusterfucking the plot.

I've been thinking for a while that panel layout is one of the most overlooked aspects of manga. I almost never see it mentioned in here, which makes some sense because it's one of those things that doesn't demand your attention. Art is a topic of discussion, in a vague sort of way (usually it isn't much more than "this series has really good/bad art)". When I think back about my favorite series, I realize that a large part of why I enjoyed them was their layouts.Maybe people aren't very interested in the subject, but I believe that nothing is more important to the reading experience than smart decisions in paneling and talking about comics without mentioning panels is like talking about movies as isolated pictures. For this reason, I decided to write a long post talking specifically about paneling.

Naoki Urasawa gets a lot of deserved grief for his failures at writing long-term narratives, but those flaws didn't stop me from devouring 20th Century Boys, Monster, and Pluto. What makes Urasawa still compelling despite his limitations is that he's a very skilled storyteller, even if the story he tells knots itself into a tangle halfway through. Strong panel flow is a large part of his ability to hook the reader.
The first page is laid out similarly to how a film editor would structure a scene. There's an establishing shot, a couple medium shots to give the reader an idea of the space this scene is taking place in, and close-ups to highlight smaller details (the detective's finger-tapping quirk) and the characters' emotions. The second has less parts, but still uses small changes in scale and framing to create a visually compelling set of images. Urasawa rarely does anything radical with his panels, instead opting for a smooth reading experience.

Taiyo Matsumoto is an outstanding artist, and his paneling takes a backseat to the art within the panels. Importantly, though, his paneling still works together with his art. Take a couple pages from Takemitsu Zamurai as an example:
The first Matsumoto image makes an interesting contrast to the first Urasawa image. Where Urasawa aims for narrative clarity in his layouts, Matsumoto prioritizes visually interesting compositions. It's harder to make sense of what is going on plotwise on his pages. They have to be read slowly and carefully. The tradeoff for this is all sorts of amazing juxtapositions in his compositions. Urasawa would probably have chosen to show the laughing twins from a more conventional angle and would have lost the visual effect created by putting all these radical perspectives next to each other and forcing the reader to make sense of them. I chose the second two images because they show how well Matsumoto's artistic style mixes with his panels. Matsumoto is allergic to perfectly straight lines, and that extends to the lines of his panels. The last image is a diverse array of imperfect lines: the curving walls and ceiling of the second panel, the raw scratches in the third panel, and the thick borders of the panels.

My golden standard in panel design is Mitsuru Adachi. Adachi is famous (or infamous, perhaps) for his minimalistic art style. It's the most common talking point about him: all his characters look the same. And they do. On top of that, he tells the same story in every one of his serializations--that one's an exaggeration, but it's not too far off from the truth. Adachi is a very rhythmic mangaka: he repeats phrases, story beats, characters, everything, but always in slightly different ways, finding a new pattern for the same elements. I can't do justice to his paneling by posting isolated pages, so keep in mind this is just a taste of what makes Adachi my favorite mangaka:
Adachi is a bit like Urasawa in that he has a very readable style. There's the same cinematic playing with scale and the relative size of objects, the same alternation of detail and plot information. Adachi, however, is a much more subtle mangaka. Urasawa wants to get his hooks in you and leave you wanting more. Adachi looks to create a specific gentle, wistful, and lightly comedic tone above all. He uses small detail panels like light hitting a river or silhouettes walking on the other end of a dark corridor not to further the plot but as a sort of "filler," a way of spacing out the plot beats. He gives his scenes breathing room. You aren't abruptly dropped into the plot, you slowly ease your way in and out of it.

Poor paneling is my number one gripe against Yusuke Murata. His technical abilities are undoubtedly godly, but his panel layouts are the functional mediocrity you would see in your average Shonen Jump series. And the GIFs are amazing to watch,
but they're a pain to read (OK, I'm being a little unfair hear as Murata was obviously playing around when he drew this. It's the pain of someone with shitty internet talking).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom