• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Early Access thread | See That Standard Edition Over There? You Can Upgrade It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberts

I have the Wanted trait, but no one ever comes for me.

Weird, I get jumped on all the time both in space and on planets. It was pretty cool when I was gathering resources on some god forgotten planet and then a bounty hunter ship landed not far from me. Anyway, I killed them all and the only bummer was that I couldn’t figure out how to take their ship - it just says that I am unauthorised to use it.

Anyway, the game is insane. I had dreams about it last night and that almost never happens.

How do you steal other ships or board then in mid fights? When I try to destroy engines, I end up just destroying the ship. Anyone has tips?

Last edited:

Sybrix

You know what, Bethesda really fucked up how they sold this game to us.

When you start, prepare for disappointment, because what you think it is....... it isnt.

But when you start playing you start to understand what the game is.

An amazing Bethesda RPG with mechanics at first that are confusing and frustrating but make perfect sense when you progress.

I'm having a blast with this game, 15 hours so far and really getting my Skyrim feels from 10 years ago, discovery, exploration on a galactic level.

I still cannot get over the level of detail in the game, it's insane and the variety of things to do, i've done 4 main story missions, rest of the time i've been doing the Ranger quest line and random raids on various planets and doing side missions there, there is so much to this game.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Woohoo just boarded an enemy ship, killed the crew, and made it my own. Way better than the starter ship!

Also 3 times now when I rode an elevator and the doors open, Sarah took off like a rocket and sprinted into a wall/over some furniture/anything else that was in her way. It’s pretty hilarious. Charming Bethesda jank

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
How do you steal other ships or board then in mid fights? When I try to destroy engines, I end up just destroying the ship. Anyone has tips
I did it once. I think you have to shoot the engines til the gauge is depleted then stop (you’ll hear the pilot make some remark about their engines being dead) Then fly close enough and you’ll get a button prompt to board.

DonJorginho

Banned
What a game this is, fucking phenomenal.

ObqFS99.jpg

JeloSWE

Vincent on the laughably disappointing HDR

HDR has 1nit raised black floor which for LCD based displays exacerbate blooming, sun peaks at 450 nit which is embarrassing. How the game doesn't have a user setting for peaks and average brightness is a baffling and incompetent decision.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I lost about an hour of gameplay. It was weird. The last 4 saves were the same save except they all showed different play times and were all created at different times as I worked through an area. It is like every save I made after entering that area saved me right back at the start of it. Really weird even by Bethesda standards. Thankfully it did not impact saves made outside of this quest/area so I just have to start the quest over.

lefty1117

Gold Member
This thread feels weird after all the hate in the other threads!

WHat do you guys recommend for a ship with big storage and where can it be found? I want to get into the outpost stuff but this is gonna take a lot of resources

TrueGrime

I lost about an hour of gameplay. It was weird. The last 4 saves were the same save except they all showed different play times and were all created at different times as I worked through an area. It is like every save I made after entering that area saved me right back at the start of it. Really weird even by Bethesda standards. Thankfully it did not impact saves made outside of this quest/area so I just have to start the quest over.

That's unfortunate. Do you save often? I have all the auto-saves on and I use Quicksave myself so I know exactly which one to go to while I'll fall back on the others if need be. It just sounds like yours were glicthed, maybe.

IDappa

alj82hF.png

aBnESRe.jpg

T4XytSz.jpg

Finally fucked with the ship builder after 20 hours of playtime. I actually had a heap of fun building my first ship. Thinking about module placement, maximising crew, cargo ect; while trying to keep a small footprint that is a beast in combat and manoeuvrable on my A class early game ship. So sick have a full armory set up as you walk in the layout is seemless (took me a while to put together a nice flow layout and very happy with the end result).

Insane I didnt even realise how big it was while building it and then the moment you get back into the world and look at what you built is a feeling.. Insane thay I haven't even touched the outpost building yet.

Last edited:

IDappa

This thread feels weird after all the hate in the other threads!

WHat do you guys recommend for a ship with big storage and where can it be found? I want to get into the outpost stuff but this is gonna take a lot of resources
Build one. Look at my last post. I managed to steal a pirate ship with a sweet cargo hold. Sold everything I didnt want and built the beauty in my last post. You will not regret it. Managed to sneak in about 1000 cargo capacity for resource storage. Along with an armory, crew quarters, crew common room, a comm deck, engineering deck along with 4 engines and upgraded guns in q semi small footprint. Was a bit of a learning curve but was satisfying walking through what I set up and it all was seemless and coherant. I just had to place the armory as the first room you walk into and that did not dissapoint. The armory is linked to your cargo hold so whatever you put in for display is accessible via the cargo screen also.

ebevan91

I just had a pretty neat moment a few minutes ago. I found a big ass abandoned ship on Jemison owned by the Ecliptic mercs and while I was exploring it a group of 3 Va’ruun zealots boarded it so I tried to sneak around the rest of the ship but they ended up spotting me eventually so I had to kill them. I made it to the cockpit but I couldn’t take off in the ship because I wasn’t skilled enough for higher classed ships.

It had multiple levels and everything. Workbenches, jail cells, lots of beds, etc.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
This is my first time really playing a Bethesda game. Love it.

I’ve finally hit my steal everything stride leveling Commerce. That moment you find an angle to steal helmets from the back side of opened cases or a plate of food from behind someone sitting at a table. Steal everything!

I do wish I didn’t rush the starting area. So many rare resources to mine in there. Three hidden areas including one that requires a boost pack to get to.

IDappa

This is my first time really playing a Bethesda game. Love it.

I’ve finally hit my steal everything stride leveling Commerce. That moment you find an angle to steal helmets from the back side of opened cases or a plate of food from behind someone sitting at a table. Steal everything!

I do wish I didn’t rush the starting area. So many rare resources to mine in there. Three hidden areas including one that requires a boost pack to get to.
Stole the mini gun from the well gun store by hiding behind an open box on the show floor lol. Meanwhile the shopkeeper is trying to keep tabs on me to see if I am stealing.

TrueGrime

How do you steal other ships or board then in mid fights? When I try to destroy engines, I end up just destroying the ship. Anyone has tips?

Make sure you're taking pot shots at the engines. Shields have to come down first, obviously, but the engines will turn red and you'll see the ship go into a stalled spin.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Stole the mini gun from the well gun store by hiding behind an open box on the show floor lol. Meanwhile the shopkeeper is trying to keep tabs on me to see if I am stealing.
That’s the store I’m talking about as well. I left that place bare bones.. didn’t steal the mannequins though. Everything else was taken from that whole shop.

Stuart360

Allow me to explain.

People in this thread are actually playing the game.

Hope that helps!
I genuinely feel like i'm losing brain cells when i go into the review thread.

Anyway like you said, the people actually playing the game on here seem to be enjoying it. I also love how the people with the long playtime seem to be the ones raving the most. Its the reason why i honestly think a year from now this will be looked on as a real classic.
I honestly get the feeling that a lot of reviewers didnt even scratch the surface of what this game has to offer. I have seen streamers with 40_ hours in the game already finding new unique stuff to do, and new gameplay mechanics, and how the game keeps surprising them.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
All I have to say is fuck the Flocking Seabat. Was looking for this last animal for way too long. It was a tiny flying bird way up in the sky. To make matters worse if you dont sprint over to them to scan them the Apex killer birds swoop in and kill them first.
All I have to say is fuck the Flocking Saturine Grazer. It didnt show up at all on the biome list because there's a glitch. If you're missing fauna on Neosi this is it

You have to go to the fucking ocean and scan. And as soon as you touch the water you get a suit contamination alert for alien microbial threat.

I'm so happy. This is just like Morrowind

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I hired my first crew member in Neon. I followed her and she walked a fairly long distance, all the way from a bar through 2 elevators and right up into the ship. That's pretty nice attention to detail by Bethesda. Normally, they'd just magically show up on your ship.
cp6OPrq.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure you're taking pot shots at the engines. Shields have to come down first, obviously, but the engines will turn red and you'll see the ship go into a stalled spin.
Ehh that's what I was doing, I ended up destroying the reactor. Do I have to wait for their shields to get back up? Because I end up killing them all time on accident.

clarky

Gold Member
Ehh that's what I was doing, I ended up destroying the reactor. Do I have to wait for their shields to get back up? Because I end up killing them all time on accident.
Do you have targeting control systems unlocked? if so there will be a prompt(i forget which button) once your locked on and it goes into targeting mode from there you can select which bit of the ship to shoot.

MirageMew2

Of any BGS game Starfield has such a bland and unintuitive start. Really frustrating in the beginning. Encumberment also feels bad when mining resources after a while. A companion almost feels necessary which isn’t necessarily how I prefer to play these (I even chose the loner trait at first) but that storage space is invaluable.

Do you have targeting control systems unlocked? if so there will be a prompt(i forget which button) once your locked on and it goes into targeting mode from there you can select which bit of the ship to shoot.
Nope. Default ship, never invested. Not a big fan of the dog fighting in this game. But I need to do for achievements.

TrueGrime

Of any BGS game Starfield has such a bland and unintuitive start. Really frustrating in the beginning. Encumberment also feels bad when mining resources after a while. A companion almost feels necessary which isn’t necessarily how I prefer to play these (I even chose the loner trait at first) but that storage space is invaluable.

Remember when you're mining, if you're around 250m away from your ship you can transfer those items to your ship without having to go back.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
When I started Morrowind I accidentally sold my pants at the first store after stealing a few plates to sell. Then I tried to box a rat and died. But yes I agree. It starts a bit slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom