• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

JdFoX187

Banned
Welp, sent my third console in. There were black lines and shit on the avatars and game screens and it RRoD'd on me once. It arrived today. Anyone have a general estimation of how long it actually takes them to fix it? Seeing as I live four hours away from the repair center, it shouldn't take very long to get it back.

Got an E65 message with the bottom right ring lit up red. This happened on Sunday. I powered down and started her back up. Have put in 6-8 hours of gaming since without a hitch.
Anyone familiar with ths E65?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
My first 360 just got an E74 today. I'm pretty bummed.

I'll contact Microsoft in a few days.

MIMIC

Banned
My refurb 360 (got it off eBay) lasted about 9 months and died last week..after I finished kickin someone's ass in SFIV.

I tried the towel trick. It literally worked for 3 seconds. I just got finished trying the penny trick (twice) and it didn't work at all. Guess I gotta pony up $100 to get it fixed. Too bad I'm mega poor right now.

Usual Disclaimer: If I can't tell when your 360 died / was replaced, you aren't included in the figures. That's basically anyone that just posted to say that their 360 died last year some time or they've had x dead 360s and gave no more information. Also, if you posted to say your 360 was acting up and never came back to confirm its death / shipment / getting a new one... you aren't included either.

Don't forget that NPD US numbers are simply included to give a rough idea of how many 360s are out there for each particular month.

2d2iolk.png

In the figures so far are 1349 dead / replaced 360s, 39 of which were falcon models.

This Month

Drive: 2
Multiple: 1
Other Red Light: 6
RRoD: 28
Video: 4

3 of the 5 refurb failures were due to RRoD.

Overall Falcon Issues
1RL: 7
DOA: 5
Drive: 1
Freezing: 1
RRoD: 21
Video: 4

As it's been a little while since I last posted them, here are the overall stats since I started recording the detailed info.

Code:
RRoD		382	69.08%
Drive		57	10.31%
Other Red Light	42	7.59%
Video		39	7.05%
Freezing	21	3.80%
Multiple	7	1.27%
PSU		3	0.54%
Noisy		2	0.36%

Original	373	
Refurb		180

Welp, just got off the phone for the repair request for my first 360. Got it in August (I think, maybe Sept) of '07... I think it was the revision prior to the Falcon, with the revised heatsink but original chipset.

It's been giving intermittent RRODs and E74s for the past few months, but up until yesterday I could usually get it to run fine by turning it off and on again (the cliche tech support reply does have its uses!).

whitehawk said:
I was told on the phone that my warranty was reset and I have 3 years starting now.
Doesn't really gel with what others have reported (including an employee who sometimes pops his head into the thread). But if that's what you've got, congratulations. :D

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
Hey gaf it's my turn. I was playing star ocean 4 last night till midnight, then this afternoon I got back home and started my xbox, but no, it didnt start. No nothing, no lights, no beeps, no RRoD, just nothing. I got it October 2007, is there any chance this is under warranty?

edit
Nevermind, I just kicked the shit out of it in a rage and it's working now. Crisis averted... for now.

MIMIC said:
My refurb 360 (got it off eBay) lasted about 9 months and died last week..after I finished kickin someone's ass in SFIV.

I tried the towel trick. It literally worked for 3 seconds. I just got finished trying the penny trick (twice) and it didn't work at all. Guess I gotta pony up $100 to get it fixed. Too bad I'm mega poor right now.

Try this, do the towel trick for 1/2 an hour.

Then let the system cool down for another 40 minutes.

Then whenever you tun on your system, leave it idling on the dashboard for at least 10 minutes. This will allow the internals to warm up evenly.

Then play Street Fighter IV.

Note: don't try to play any graphically intensive games, Gears 2, Ninja Gaiden GTA IV. This will make your system run hot and and bring back the RROD. Arcade games, DVDs and ports of Playstation 2 games seems to be ok as they are not pushing they system.

whitehawk

Banned
Or you could purposely run graphic intensive games like Gears, in order to get the RROD so you can get a repair. The towel trick will only prolong the RROD.

andthebeatgoeson

So, I'm living to see my 360 die. I wonder if it can hear me typing this message. Maybe it's reading my thoughts.

Shell out a shit ton today on RE5 and a new hard drive. I'm a part of the problem. I have a 20 GB drive. I don't need another but just wanted it so I can run all my games off the hard drive. I'm actually liking the 360, irregardless of the awaiting axe hanging over my head. That's how I feel. I downplay 360 games because I'm afraid of a RROD. I just know the resultant anger will piss me off. Bring up all the threads, all the hatred, the thoughts of gamers cast away for a few pennys. Then something magical happened...

I played Orange Box. It was glorious. Funny (portal). Scary (ravenholm). Enticing (cake). I can't stop. I want more. I just picked up COD4 a few months ago and I actually appreciate the HD.

So, I rush home after getting off early (!!!) from work to Best buy. Pick up RE5 and a 120 giger on a whim. Hell, it has the transfer cable and I'm hooked. I have the money and I say, what the hell. I'm falling in love with this damn console.

Then I walk in...

It was a terrible sight.

I might cry...

somuchformygta4re5player.jpg

I try once...twice...3 times....it works.

But I'm not sure if I can forget. There she was, lying there...in that position. Like a lil whore. She says I'm sorry and boots up. I'm so, so, so fuckin stupid. I forgive her and start up the transfer process. Then go downstairs to console myself with fellow gaffers. Now, I wonder? If I go back up stairs, what will I find. She says she needs 1 hour and 20 minutes. WTF IS SHE DOING FOR AN HOUR AND TWENTYGODDAMN MINUTES? Fucking WHORE!!!

Am I screwed?

skinnyrattler said:
So, I'm living to see my 360 die. I wonder if it can hear me typing this message. Maybe it's reading my thoughts.

Shell out a shit ton today on RE5 and a new hard drive. I'm a part of the problem. I have a 20 GB drive. I don't need another but just wanted it so I can run all my games off the hard drive. I'm actually liking the 360, irregardless of the awaiting axe hanging over my head. That's how I feel. I downplay 360 games because I'm afraid of a RROD. I just know the resultant anger will piss me off. Bring up all the threads, all the hatred, the thoughts of gamers cast away for a few pennys. Then something magical happened...

I played Orange Box. It was glorious. Funny (portal). Scary (ravenholm). Enticing (cake). I can't stop. I want more. I just picked up COD4 a few months ago and I actually appreciate the HD.

So, I rush home after getting off early (!!!) from work to Best buy. Pick up RE5 and a 120 giger on a whim. Hell, it has the transfer cable and I'm hooked. I have the money and I say, what the hell. I'm falling in love with this damn console.

Then I walk in...

It was a terrible sight.

I might cry...

somuchformygta4re5player.jpg

I try once...twice...3 times....it works.

But I'm not sure if I can forget. There she was, lying there...in that position. Like a lil whore. She says I'm sorry and boots up. I'm so, so, so fuckin stupid. I forgive her and start up the transfer process. Then go downstairs to console myself with fellow gaffers. Now, I wonder? If I go back up stairs, what will I find. She says she needs 1 hour and 20 minutes. WTF IS SHE DOING FOR AN HOUR AND TWENTYGODDAMN MINUTES? Fucking WHORE!!!

Am I screwed?

Honestly...I think you were asking for it by keeping it so close to the carpet.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Jamesfrom818 said:
Honestly...I think you were asking for it by keeping it so close to the carpet.
Its not like the carpet will grow hairs and block the vents. It's above it.

Relix said:
Its not like the carpet will grow hairs and block the vents. It's above it.
Sitting on top of another electronic device that may well run hot on its own.
I'm guessing the power supply is sitting on the carpet too, eh?

andthebeatgoeson

Leaving the power supply on the carpet causes RROD?

Either way, it's a Blu Ray player, so it never gets used. It's cold and dusty. I think I turned it on once to check it when I bought it 2 months ago and that's it.

Are they still pawning off refurbished 360's as fixed items?

MIMIC

Banned
:lol My 360 is working again.

I'm surprised that it's working after I completely disassembled it. I know it's only a matter of time before it red rings again but whatever.

Gonna buy mine tommorow....this thread scares the shit out of me.

what can't I do with my 360?

1, Can I stand it up? ala the wii?

2. Can it sit next to the ps3?

( myset up is like this.

PS3
CableBox
DVD
BOX Wii Dreamcast(where Xbox probally would go).
3. Anythings I should not do.

Ok, my friend came over and being the complete fool he is, moved my console around whilst i was in the bathroom, cause he wanted to see what it looked like vertical. While the disc (Vegas 1) was still in the console. Arrrggghhh.

It makes this horrible whirring noise that i heard from a mile away, leaving a massive circular scratch in the disc. Disc is fucked. I thought Microsoft would've stopped this by now (this was my new Limited Edition Red RE5 Elite). :(

He's a good bloke though so he bought the game again for me for a few bucks, but I'm more worried about the implications this could have for my console. Im assuming this has happened to at least some GAFers before (or at least some of you have heard of it happening). Can it damage the disc drive? Or just the disc itself?

I mean, my 360 is still very quiet (there's a slight noise when loading that im not sure if it was there before or not, I didn't really listen out for it cause i wasn't paranoid about the drive like i am now) and it hasn't been scratching any other discs. Should i be fine?

_Alkaline_ said:
Can it damage the disc drive? Or just the disc itself?

I mean, my 360 is still very quiet (there's a slight noise when loading that im not sure if it was there before or not, I didn't really listen out for it cause i wasn't paranoid about the drive like i am now) and it hasn't been scratching any other discs. Should i be fine?
Theoretically... yes it can damage the drive, but only the lens and you'd have known about that pretty much instantly (it wouldn't read discs).

Nothing that would cause a noise, that's just healthy paranoia.

Psychotext said:
Theoretically... yes it can damage the drive, but only the lens and you'd have known about that pretty much instantly (it wouldn't read discs).

Nothing that would cause a noise, that's just healthy paranoia.

Well I should be ok then, games are working perfectly on it and loading super fast. I'm just scared because I bought the damn thing only a day ago.

My elite is noticeably more quiet than my previous 360, but just one thing - it's not supposed to be completely quiet is it? My elite makes a little bit of noise when when loading a disc, just a slight whirring sound (hard to describe). It's not loud or anything, I just want to make sure that it's normal for their to be a little bit of noise when loading.

Anyone? Just want to make sure the elite is supposed to make small noises when loading.

Guess I'm just used to my consoles being totally quiet.

whitehawk said:
Or you could purposely run graphic intensive games like Gears, in order to get the RROD so you can get a repair. The towel trick will only prolong the RROD.

I offered the tempory solution as the poster was out of warranty and could not afford a repair.

OwlBoy

Neo Member
Got my 3rd RROD today while my dad was using Netflix. (Falcon/Xepher) So I went to the support site to put in a request to get this over as fast as possible. And I selected the option to have a coffin sent to me, though I still got an email telling me to go to the website and print out a shipping label…

If I follow the instructions to do so, I see no shipping label to print out. Though I do see an icon saying the box was shipped. And below and to the right of it a paragraph telling me where to ship it and stuff. And to get insurance and how to pack it. You can't buy more insurance on a pre-paid label I think. And the box is, well a box for shipping it and it has foam and stuff custom cut.

What the hell? Is this repair system as stupid as their hardware designs?

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Got e74 error on my Elite, the Elite was born on 26/12/2007.

Got a Jasper Arcade today I was rather pissed off but atleast it came with Pacman CE.

ringlord

My elite RRoD'd over the weekend. Purchased in August of '07. Zepher model.

Was playing gears 2 and it froze, controller spazzing in my hand. Turned it off, back on, and the three rings were staring at me. Tried it a few more times, then decided it was really dead. I wasn't going to mess with any tricks to get it working -- no reason to put off the inevitable.

Printed out a shipping label and mailed it off today. We'll see how long it takes to get back.

Funny thing is, I can do without the games for a week or two. It's the Netflix streaming I'll miss the most!

Speevy

Banned
Hey, I don't know what is happening with my console and its controller.

For starters, it seems that the left analog stick is completely jammed and unresponsive. It keeps moving to the right in every menu.

The A button works fine when using the guide button menu, but when I press it for any other aspect of the NXE menu, it just highlights green and doesn't select anything.

I really hope my system isn't going.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
edit: lol nevermind. the answer was right there on the website. ignore my stupidity.

andthebeatgoeson

So, are the newer ones extremely unlikely to die or is it still a problem? I'm tempted to just waste $200 on a brand new arcade, plug my new harddrive in and go. If it'll save me the hassle of dealing with refurbs. Yes, I am apart of the problem. Unfortunately. But if the new arcade is gonna crash in a few years, then I might as well play the 6 month RROD dance.

Magik

skinnyrattler said:
So, are the newer ones extremely unlikely to die or is it still a problem? I'm tempted to just waste $200 on a brand new arcade, plug my new harddrive in and go. If it'll save me the hassle of dealing with refurbs. Yes, I am apart of the problem. Unfortunately. But if the new arcade is gonna crash in a few years, then I might as well play the 6 month RROD dance.

In terms of 3 RROD, the new systems are a lot more reliable.

The new problem, while small at the moment, is the 1 RROD - E74, which is starting to show up more and more. My first 360 died because of the 1 RROD. =\

2DMention

Banned
I've decided to keep my old repaired Halo model as a back up instead of selling it on CL.

I'll sell my old HDD to a friend who's broke-ass.

andthebeatgoeson

Magik said:
In terms of 3 RROD, the new systems are a lot more reliable.

The new problem, while small at the moment, is the 1 RROD - E74, which is starting to show up more and more. My first 360 died because of the 1 RROD. =\
The one that's not covered, eh? Then I'll just send it in for repairs instead of splurging.

MechaX

Add me to the list. Got mine in September 2007 and it was a Falcon.

This is quite strange when considering that I keep it in a well-ventilated area and I don't play it extremely often (The longest bursts I ever had on the system was with Star Ocean 4 in 2 hour dungeons with no save points). At least I still have DS titles to play, but damn. It just RR'd right out of the blue when I was playing DMC4 (starting it up for the second time today; earlier, it froze after about 10 minutes of SO4, but I didn't think of it too much, since SO4 evidently has some freezing issues on some resolutions).

I know I'll end up sending it in, but stuff like this really irritates me. Especially since I still was in the middle of RE5 as well.

Dorrin

Update for - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15008065&postcount=9835

Well I received my 360 back yesterday. They repaired my actual unit as the serial numbers still match and included a 1 month live card.

I live about 2 days for the repair center, total elapsed time ended up being 13 days. I could have made it faster if I had printed my own label to ship it out but wasn't able to do that at the time. I also got unlucky that my 360 was fixed and ready to ship out late Friday and missed the UPS pickup until Monday.

So far everything is okay although I did have a loading screen lockup while loading Chapter 2-1 last night in RE5...

So there i am, carefully placing Soul Calibre IV into my beloved Elite and midway into the opening intro it black screens and the three red lights of death appear. I turn around and there he is, Bill Gates with his trousers around his ankles, sweating like a pig and slapping my mum in the face while fucking my up my own bottom. I treated it well, kept it cool, never let it near other consoles or appliances, kept it away from danger, treated it like my new born.

Upon colser inspection the code given to me is 1023 which says there is a problem with the disk drive. I have had it since august 07, so that is around 16 months. I can't face the prospect of a month without games as i am moving next week and will be bored out of my brain, so i am picking up an arcade tonight with Resi 5 and an extra controller for £150 and i will sell the refurbished one when it returns. I would go out and buy a ps3 in protest but its ridiculously overpriced still.

My 360 died also like 2 weeks ago. Sent it to someone to repair since xbox support takes so long. He fixed it (it had E74) the console boots up but after a while playing little dots and vertical lines appear all over the game. When I go to the dashboard everything seems fine, but the avatar also has the lines and dots. Does anyone know how to fix this problem or what it is? Im stuck with a library or games I still havent finished thanks to that problem

MechaX

Huh. That was strange. Last night, the 360 Red Ringed no matter what I did (Unplug everything, replug everything, give it time to cool, etc, etc). And all of a sudden, this morning, it works fine.

... So am I pretty much living on borrowed time at this point?

My 360 died a couple months back while playing Rock Band 2. I didn't actually purchase it, though, it was free from attending the Ellen Degeneres show three Christmases back, so am I screwed? Do I have to just buy a new one? Please say it ain't so... I downloaded so many damn songs for Rock Band 2 =( but I really don't feel like buying a new one.

MindCollizion said:
three Christmases back, so am I screwed? Do I have to just buy a new one?
If that 3 xmas thing is right... then yeah, it's going to be out of the 3 year warranty. You don't technically have to buy one (you can pay them to repair yours).

But as you've probably noticed here, machines that MS repairs don't always last that long, making new machines the better option.

Cowie

got mine back today, exactly two weeks from when I sent it off, not so bad all told. Has an hdmi port, thank god, and a little 1 month gold card taped to it. Was expecting to have something else to be upset about, but this has been a reasonably pleasant experience all told.

Pimpbaa

Xun

Does anyone know if Microsoft send out Jaspers nowadays?

If they don't I might just get it repaired, sell it, then buy a new 360.

Oh and for the record it's a late 2007 Falcon Elite.

pr0cs

Xun said:
Does anyone know if Microsoft send out Jaspers nowadays?

If they don't I might just get it repaired, sell it, then buy a new 360.

Oh and for the record it's a late 2007 Falcon Elite.
At best the repaired version would be related to the 'Opus' boards discussed a while back but even then I would be remiss to join the circle jerk of repairs, I just don't trust MS to actually fix any of the machines.

If it was me I'd get the thing fixed, sell it and buy a new arcade.

Xun

I'll guess I'll look when I get the system back, I mean I'm not sure if I'll stick with the Falcon to be honest. :/

Ah well we'll see.

Edit: Woo, 1,000th post! Not that impressive, but whatever.

bigswords

Psychotext said:
Opus is only for non HDMI 360s. If you send in a HDMI 360 for repair at worst you'll get a falcon back.

Is this confirmed for other regions as well? Would have though they would be Xenons still in circulation. If it's Falcons it should better.

Top Bottom