• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

bigswords said:
Is this confirmed for other regions as well? Would have though they would be Xenons still in circulation. If it's Falcons it should better.
Don't know. I've certainly not heard of anyone getting old stuff here for quite some time.

bry-bry

My Elite just rrod'ed. Damn thing only lasted 17 months, but I guess that's above average. :/ It took several days to die, first with choppy picture distortion then no picture (only audio) and now rrod. Definitely the biggest POS console I've ever owned.

Manufactured date was 7-17-07

Circuit City Protection Plan :`(

I'm currently on my 3rd 360 and it just fucking got the RROD. I wouldn't be pissed if I hadn't just gotten my latest system in February of this year after sending it in for the RROD in January. Not only that but it was delayed and took 6 weeks to get back from January :/

Ugh...

chemicals

okay. my second 360 RROD'd over the weekend.

I have 2 questions. Please somebody answer!

#1. Should I just say "screw customer service" and go run out and buy a jasper Arcade unit and slap my hard drive on it?

#2. For those of you who have done #1, are there any issues with placing an old 20 gig hard drive in an arcade model? stories and antecdotes, please

chemicals said:

#1. Should I just say "screw customer service" and go run out and buy a jasper Arcade unit and slap my hard drive on it?

#2. For those of you who have done #1, are there any issues with placing an old 20 gig hard drive in an arcade model? stories and antecdotes, please
I dunno, the turnaround time on my second RROD'd box was quite fast. I sent it in probably a week and a half ago and it's on its way back to me right now. Unless you're out of warranty, I'd suggest just sending it in. Yeah, dealing with outsourced workers in India is kind of a pain (especially when they have incredibly heavy accents) but it will save you a bunch of money.

chemicals

backflip10019 said:
I dunno, the turnaround time on my second RROD'd box was quite fast. I sent it in probably a week and a half ago and it's on its way back to me right now. Unless you're out of warranty, I'd suggest just sending it in. Yeah, dealing with outsourced workers in India is kind of a pain (especially when they have incredibly heavy accents) but it will save you a bunch of money.

yeah my point is that I don't want to be without the console.. $199 isn't a problem for me. Wondering mostly about those of you who have taken your 2o gig drives off a premium that has RROD'd and put it on a jasper arcade unit.. you guys happy with the jasper? any problems with the hard drive transfer? Help please!

one thing about the 360 is that it has really become my main form of entertainment.. not only for gaming but for the netflix integration ... they've managed to make things like gamerpoints (of which I have 13000+) and the online community aspect of games like Team Fortress 2 and Call Of Duty 4 tangible things that I don't want to be without.. as essential as internet connectivity is to most of us.. geez I'm a weirdo.

Slizz

i didnt get the rrod, i got the bottom right ring red. says e 74 as the error.

it happened the other day, lasted almost 2 years i think, i need to check my warranties.

Slizz said:
i didnt get the rrod, i got the bottom right ring red. says e 74 as the error.

it happened the other day, lasted almost 2 years i think, i need to check my warranties.

Any error beyond the ring of death is only covered for 1 year.

starsky

chemicals said:

1. Assuming your console is under warranty, I suggest you send it away to be repaired so at least you have a backup console even if you buy a new one.

2. I don't have any problem whatsoever moving my hard drive between 360 consoles. Only that you have to install your games again to the hard disk.

2real4tv

chemicals said:

I had no problems so far...well it did scratch up my Rock Band 2 cd, freezes after start up. Had to borrow someone elses and install it to the hard drive now it works.

Slizz said:
so i no longer have a functioning xbox? an wont get one without shelling out money?

Do what my girlfriend and two other friends did: set the repair up on Xbox.com and just say it's a RRoD. My girlfriend's 360 got E74 less than 8 weeks after the 1-year warranty expired. She was pissed so I just told her to try it. She did it and got a new Xbox back free of charge.

MechaX

Yep. Definitely on borrowed time.

My 360 froze on a 20 minute session of RE5, and RROD'd again.

Screw it, I'm getting this thing ready for the coffin.

Slizz

AnEternalEnigma said:
Do what my girlfriend and two other friends did: set the repair up on Xbox.com and just say it's a RRoD. My girlfriend's 360 got E74 less than 8 weeks after the 1-year warranty expired. She was pissed so I just told her to try it. She did it and got a new Xbox back free of charge.

so diabolical and simple, will do

chemicals

fuck it, life is short.. I just ordered a Jasper Arcade unit and a 120 gig drive. Tomorrow morning at 9 AM I'm going pick it up at my local Best Buy. peace and love.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Microsoft got my xbox this morning and no more than 12 hours later I got an email saying that it's fixed and in the mail.

A lot faster than I was expecting : )

MIMIC

Banned
Now my 360 is officially dead. The towel fix isn't even working anymore. Mine is out of warranty so I might attempt to "fix" it myself. I'm a broke college student (jobless to boot) and I don't have $100 to send it back to MS right now.

ETA: Towel fix is working again :lol

Zoso said:
Microsoft got my xbox this morning and no more than 12 hours later I got an email saying that it's fixed and in the mail.

A lot faster than I was expecting : )

Same thing happened to me. They received it yesterday afternoon (Monday) and they have it fixed and ready to ship by today (Tuesday).

I guess I need to find out if I got one that is permanently fixed? Otherwise I should sell it and get one with the newer chipset?

Took 21 months to RRoD and no real signs that it was dying. Girlfriend was playing Bomberman Live earlier in the night. She went home so I sat down to finish Braid and BAM.

Xun

I've just received the E74 error just now... and I'm out of the standard warranty.

What should I do? Heat the 360 to get the 3 red lights?

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Xun said:
I've just received the E74 error just now... and I'm out of the standard warranty.

What should I do? Heat the 360 to get the 3 red lights?
Everybody with E74(including myself) has been lying and saying they have the three red lights of death. You can file a report online and they don't seem to check. Worked for me and lots of other people. I haven't heard any cases of it not working actually.

DJ Sl4m

I just picked up 2 Xbox 360's 3 weeks ago at a local pawn shop, got them home & of course they both RROD'd so I called MSFT for warranty and sent them off, both are back on their way :)

For $108.00 I now have 2 recently repaired 360's to add to my wireless network.

R0nn

Well, it finally happened. After reliably chugging along for almost three years straight, it died on me yesterday evening after some nice local multiplayer sessions with Bomberman, Streetfighter and Castle Crashers.

It's currently RRODing when I switch it off, still booting normally, but I guess it wont be long until it wont boot at all.

So yeah, I'm currently contemplating on what to do. Send it in for repairs and risk the chance of getting a shitty refurbished model in return, or just picking up a new one and getting myself a Jasper with some luck.

Xun

R0nn said:
So yeah, I'm currently contemplating on what to do. Send it in for repairs and risk the chance of getting a shitty refurbished model in return, or just picking up a new one and getting myself a Jasper with some luck.
Get the refurb, sell it, then buy a new one.

That's what I'll be doing.

Well, my second 360 just joined the RROD party. I had just finished downloading the Queen and James Bond packs for Guitar Hero. I popped in my disk to play and as the Guitar Hero title screen was loading the system froze. Then, I reset the system and the red lights were staring me in the face. I haven't seen them in 2 years, so it was quite a shock. Too bad I bought the Best Buy 2 year warranty 2 years and 2 weeks ago. I almost could have had a brand new system for free. I am having Microsoft send me the coffin and I had the tech put a note in the system requesting that a brand new system be sent to replace my broken one. This is the 3rd time I've had to send a box back and the 5th time in my household (my brother has an Xbox as well). Hopefully I get some sort of upgrade (HDMI, better disk drive, etc.).

Stormwatch said:
Well, my second 360 just joined the RROD party. I had just finished downloading the Queen and James Bond packs for Guitar Hero. I popped in my disk to play and as the Guitar Hero title screen was loading the system froze. Then, I reset the system and the red lights were staring me in the face. I haven't seen them in 2 years, so it was quite a shock. Too bad I bought the Best Buy 2 year warranty 2 years and 2 weeks ago. I almost could have had a brand new system for free. I am having Microsoft send me the coffin and I had the tech put a note in the system requesting that a brand new system be sent to replace my broken one. This is the 3rd time I've had to send a box back and the 5th time in my household (my brother has an Xbox as well). Hopefully I get some sort of upgrade (HDMI, better disk drive, etc.).

You won't. You'll get an Opus board back, which is designed for non-HDMI consoles. I've done three repairs since they started doing HDMI. All three times I've gotten a non-HDMI console back.

GaryD

Fuck my 2nd xbox just crashed 3 times in RE5 with lines down the screen. This was an arcade Falcon btw.

I don't even use the thing any where near as much as people would be on GAF.

Xun

GaryD said:
Fuck my 2nd xbox just crashed 3 times in RE5 with lines down the screen. This was an arcade Falcon btw.

I don't even use the thing any where near as much as people would be on GAF.
A lot of Falcons have been dying recently, mine included. :/

Well... so far as in as of last month. ;)

But yeah, given we were seeing around 70-90 360s dying a month (around a year and a half after the 360 launched)... 40ish in a year and a half of falcon availability isn't that bad.

Xun

I might just keep my "repaired" system for a bit just to see what the situation with the Jaspers is.

And what a shitty generation so far (in terms of the hardware), first the Wii dies early 2007, and now the 360. :/

I just hope my PS3 won't fall the same fate.

GaryD

Xun said:
A lot of Falcons have been dying recently, mine included. :/

Well I turned it on trying to get a level of RE5 in late yesterday and she started red ringing. POS is only 9 months old and gets used a couple of times a week max. Anyway, ended up getting a jasper for $230AU with Halo Wars so I will get the old one fixed and then sell it.

Do they actually fix your old one then send it back or just get you a repaired one off the line?

dave_d

AnEternalEnigma said:
You won't. You'll get an Opus board back, which is designed for non-HDMI consoles. I've done three repairs since they started doing HDMI. All three times I've gotten a non-HDMI console back.

I don't know about that. I sent my 360 for repairs a couple months back and got a Xenon back which was broken. I sent that one back and got another Xenon. (Which works for now.) I think a bunch of us sent in old Xenon units recently and got Xenons back, not Opus. (Has anybody gotten an Opus recently? The label on the box will read either Opus and Xenon depending on which you get.) Personally I'm holding on to it for now and when it breaks for good getting the Vahalla when that comes out. (Hopefully that will produce sufficently less heat to not break down like other 360's.)

LakeEarth

My disk drive is starting to go, getting freezing and dirty disk errors, so to prolong my system I've been installing my games to the hard-drive. But since I only have a 20 gig, it has to go one game at a time. It's very annoying.

Zzoram

I just got my 2nd 3 red lights of doom. It's been about 29 months since my original date of purchase. My first 3rlod was at the 12 month mark, this refurb held up for 17 months (on lighter use).

USC-fan

Banned
Brought 10/27/06... first it started freezing last week playing mlb 2k9 demo then at the dashbound. Today RRoD, hope i get a quieter xbox back.

Zzoram

My 360 is a refurb Xenon. When I send it in, will I get an Opus back now? Anybody know if the Opus is any more reliable than Xenon refurb?

When I get my console back, I'll probably play it for a month or two to make sure it's really working, then trade it in. I've had enough of this.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Bought my first 360 Spring 06 A premium It died Spring 07. Dying playing a cd rip
Bought a arcade/falcon on winter 07 hardly play it. Played NG 2 for 3 minutes it froze turned it off. Went to play it tonight & Blam 3 ring circus.

360 is a cheaply made shit factory of a console.

Fuck MS!

I demand manditory expiration dates on each unit!
It seems as if they intentionaly give out HW failure Signals.
I will no longer throw money @ a problem.

OwlBoy

Neo Member
According to the images I see online of the power connector, I just got back a Xenon from repair.

This means I just have another timebomb. What the fuck Microsoft?

OwlBoy said:
According to the images I see online of the power connector, I just got back a Xenon from repair.

This means I just have another timebomb. What the fuck Microsoft?

The model you got back will be printed on the white label on the repair box you were sent back. What does it say?

OwlBoy

Neo Member
AnEternalEnigma said:
The model you got back will be printed on the white label on the repair box you were sent back. What does it say?

Oh look at that it does. Xenon Pro is what it says.

The refurb I got back in September 2008 was a Zephyr. The repair my girlfriend got back in January was a Zephyr. The repairs my friend and his Dad got in February were Xenons.

Top Bottom