• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to cut 300 jobs (heavily arcade/pub staff), refocusing on digital/mobile/PC [Up]

Peter Moore always maintains that he saved Sega, but they were about dead the day he pulled the plug on DC. There have only been a tiny handful of real Sega games since then.

Yu Suzuki's output after 2004 pretty much dropped to nil, but before the end he graced us with Sega Race TV. It's probably the last Sega game that looked like it was from the classic era, and it came out in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXuzVwpsAYI

sega-race-tv-o.gif

Oh well, good luck to the new and improved uninspiring boring-ass Sega

That's...holy shit. I don't even know.

kess

Peter Moore always maintains that he saved Sega, but they were about dead the day he pulled the plug on DC. There have only been a tiny handful of real Sega games since then.

I've talked to someone who worked at Sega of America at the time, and was told that Moore was sullen after "that" talk with the Japanese leadership. Moore insisted in interviews that it was his call, but it was almost certainly forced on him.

The blame never really rest on Moore, I think, as far as the Dreamcast was concerned, but he made some serious mistakes regarding game exclusivity, splitting a demoralized fanbase across four consoles. I'm probably in the minority here but Sega probably drew down the Dreamcast too fast. Rez and Shenmue II would have almost certainly sold more on a Sega console, and there would have been a clean slate of releases in 2002-3 instead of porting half their Dreamcast projects half-cocked. I won't even get into all the Sega-oriented second and third party studios being left in the lurch.

SoA really did go all out for the Dreamcast, and the game release schedule was a parade of awesomeness. A few people might remember the semi-truck tour that they did in support of the console in 2000.

Jesus Christ SEGA, this shit isn't hard.

2. Return to Sonic Generations formula. Sonic Generations 3D levels were finally starting to flesh-out the formula that had improved from Unleashed's daytime stages, Colors, and Generations. It is the direction 3D Sonic needs to go, rather than Lost World or BOOM's gimmicky gameplay mechanics which either fall flat or are poorly executed. You have modders out there putting Sonic Unleashed daytime 3D stages into the improved Generations 3D engine. Again, go and bring them in-house as employees/independent contractors. And whatever they come up with, put it on every system. I mean I'd play some kind of 'Sonic & Knuckles Unleashed' Sequel/Remake which is put into the improved Generations engine, and the Werehog gets replaced by Knuckles. These games would satisfy the people who want more Classic Sonic in 2.5D, and good 3D Sonic games over the likes of Lost World/Boom.

4lgbExh.gif

We appreciate you liking the Unleashed Project Mod though. I would love to work through SEGA somehow to make stuff for them. Would give me more reason to finish a level of mine for Generations that way. We've done so much for Sonic Generations that I hope they go back to the Gens formula for the next Sonic game or something similar since there is much more you can expand on for that type of gameplay now with the use of stage gimmicks like all stages.

I honestly hope Sega Western side of things decide to actually port the original Sonic Unleashed to PC at some point to make that game be moddable as well for people to enjoy a fixed werehog gameplay. Or heck some of their other games that would be amazing on PC in general since that seems to be profitable for them. I can only imagine how many people would buy Sonic Unleashed on PC just for mods alone, just like people did for Generations.

Chindogg

Sega Sammy Holdings, the parent company that now controls one-time video gaming pioneer Sega, is looking to seriously overhaul its structure and business operations. Statements from the conglomerate have stressed that this is an ongoing process, but one of the first steps seems to be Sega ditching the console video game business to focus on what it considers the areas of biggest growth, mobile and online PC games.

It’s a bittersweet day for the Sega faithful who over the last two decades watched the company’s fortunes take a downturn along with the arcade game market. Perhaps Sega’s new focus will finally help it rebound to the heights of its glory days. For the time being, though, Internet commenters have taken to their keyboards to voice their sorrow over how much they’ll miss its wares (both hard and soft), and also to ponder the hidden nonsensicalness of its new name, Sega Games.

http://www.japantoday.com/smartphone/view/arts-culture/fans-mourn-segas-exit-from-the-console-video-game-market

The end of an era guys. Leonard Nemoy dies, Earl Lloyd dies, and now Sega as we knew them died. Today's really been a terrible day.

That's bad fucking news right there. I think back to the halcyon days of the Dreamcast when they were pumping out classic after classic and I weep.

<sigh> Makes this old school Sega fan cry. I will forever adore their 80's arcare games, SMS (my first console back in 1986!), Genesis...etc. Space Harrier is my fav game of all time..oh Sega.

So does this mean we will never see a proper followup to Alien Isolation? Are they just going to sit on the license while they have it?

If so, this is bullshit.

To be fair, it seems like the last few years they were purposefully being TERRIBLE at their console output. At least 5+ years.

And I say this as I was a SEGA fanboy as a kid. And I still am at heart.

Top Bottom