• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Rockstar the best in world building/design?

Floridian

Absolutely.

kh7lxqx1utin2y5oj0uy.gif

zjhiogs8uoipg3gkezgg.gif

(and more)

The only thing those comparison pics have done was confuse me on which picture was the real thing. Rockstar is truly magnificent.

Alienous

The only thing those comparison pics have done was confuse me on which picture was the real thing. Rockstar is truly magnificent.

Well, there were words accompanying those pics...

KZ ShadowFall has sublime world building, with a completely unique setting from scratch, imaginative architecture and a launch game no less.

812ykz8deml._sl1500_mduts.jpg

killzone-shadow-fall-q0o1p.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83fRJUrZ1_A

I gotta replay this game.

Agreed (despite Shadow Fall being terrible). Even beyond that the Vektan/Helghan conflict is credible. There's a texture to that world that is fabricated yet believable. The Helghan housing on Vekta makes sense; it's cramped and cheap looking. It tells the story of an entire planet being made refugees.

It's amazing world building. Of course it could never compete with GTA V detail-wise, but it is a place created for a game that feels believable.

They're tops at world design because they spend years and millions more than others, including I think far more on-location photo research. They spent about 100 days in LA for GTA V, IIRC. It's almost underappreciated how unique and IRL-copied much of GTA V is -- sort of just flies under the radar. But if you take the time to explore all the different buildings -- and sadly they never gave enough of a gameplay reason to do so -- it's pretty impressive how unique and detailed most of the buildings are.

I wrote this a while ago to show research by GTAForum user Wayne Kerr that illustrates how much of GTA V's LS is based on LA.

KyanMehwulfe said:
(from this original reply)
http://gtaforums.com/topic/491242-mapping-los-santos-buildinglandmark-analysis/page-866
http://gtaforums.com/topic/491242-mapping-los-santos-buildinglandmark-analysis/page-865
(Huge thanks to GTAF and especially Wayne Kerr his work find these is amazing)

FOR REFERENCE, pictures of in real life (IRL) Los Angeles are always first, then in-game Los Santos GTA are second.

(the top floor windows especially)
vCkFfyy.png

SQNpqVx.jpg

(even in examples that are stretching it at least, it shows how believable and civic-ly logical the architecture is)
Ud1aOOk.png

dBCODOV.jpg

(they're not exact clones but Rockstar did say they spent 100 days photographing LA to base all their buildings on, and you seen that in almost every building)
s8k1QYn.png

rB21DD3.jpg

(The art at least looks believable; as if designed by an architecture, not a game designer with no concept of how cities or buildings are logically actually made)
XEvXQ0s.png

XEvXQ0s.png

8idcrlq.png

8idcrlq.png

eFiQV7N.png

8USLSKd.png

eFiQV7N.png

8USLSKd.png

(there's lots of obvious ones, too, like downtown LA and Shallow Pond, Hollywood, or Venice Beach being almost exact copies in LS)
kxZxvtW.png

0_0.jpg

CIa4sPK.jpg

NEhiGpS.jpg

0LKaYYa.png

q75ZB93.png

b9rgrju.png

uefGS70.jpg

sXS4abn.png

gxbVcok.jpg

GbJw5H3.jpg

h1YTFs5.jpg

BQ7QOWc.png

0_0.jpg

DwzNSlT.jpg

lzE88YD.jpg

Gb1NdAt.png

LvPBEJ6.jpg

Uw6XqT7.jpg

(this apartment is very close to Venice Beach IRL and very close to Vespucci Beach in-game)
5b9UFg6.png

PZsa1p0.jpg

DUdR9pX.png

pe1ydF0.png

(this one may be stretching the coincidence but there is a motel with palm trees conveniently right beside it...)
north+shore+motel+salton+sea+tennis+court.jpg

0_0.jpg

39f488f810b44f9fa8c8b16718822d7e.jpg

0_0.jpg

(this could be coincidence too but this building is RIGHT NEXT to the above hotel... you can find very close by on Google Maps)
58825403.jpg

0_0.jpg

(most of GTA V's streets are also inspired by LA... which, thankfully, means their layout is much more believable than, say, GTA SA where the streets felt amazing to explore but were an illogical unbelievable mess of a mess)
ae8fsfE.png

bsREcsj.jpg

(a lot of these have tweaks but you can see the similar frames, windows, etc)
0jpLX2b.png

IaN0niz.jpg

8sS7l6q.jpg

QgvjcRK.jpg

yVdP9TH.png

AC2WWeN.jpg

(both selling tacos, too lol)
srVtB2E.png

c9TrHau.jpg

(this is the same one but it's run down, and you can even see the broken sign!)
v9YR27a.jpg

kyBXadk.jpg

(different windows but you can see both movie have similar frames, especially the 2nd floor indented roof)
577gcGw.png

Hi1W8YO.jpg

(similar windows, again)
QDnbMCg.png

74ojekr.jpg

o4gEcix.png

(same pillars and same storage area)
Cjg9foo.png

wni2qCh.jpg

(obvious...)
EaeOAnz.png

smw55rJ.jpg

dBVpuFV.png

1C0dlAz.jpg

KgW1nQp.png

sExy1KH.jpg

(see the windows on the 2nd floor, and also the 2 opens on the right with the 1 window in the center piece)
Elr2sSA.png

i8A6Aw0.jpg

(this one is stretching it.... but look at the how the 2 overhanging pieces don't exactly match up... the right one is flatter and sticks out more, and the left one is bigger and isn't 'in sync' with the other. and the vertical lines in the wall)
OScD5NW.png

eHXHJRA.jpg

(not super close but look at the 'gate' in the door, the same arches, half circles, the golden pillar detail, etc)
xsGKZD3.png

lTcMRi1.png

(similarly 2nd floor windows and arches)
2fpgkqw.png

(more similarities)
A38UYrV.png

I5Yy2Fm.jpg

1bQPluC.png

HilacnS.jpg

BxFzQgg.png

uVJz8S3.jpg

CH8haVy.png

1j44SLq.jpg

(these are 2 good examples of ones that are not very close but clearly show that all the architecture is still realistic... the way arches are shaped, pillars are placed... they're done so in a sound and logical way)
vI54xXp.png

5j62NcY.png

MdlapBe.jpg

4ZZU43t.png

SHQkMIi.png

(also the window frames often are similar to IRL)
4aDI9li.png

oGeE1La.png

6IjhcOB.png

yqt66YV.jpg

Ps658yM.png

HyNAftB.jpg

MuHLrhm.png

ZbOoN9q.png

pCuJF7b.jpg

(this one is cool... similar construction projects, AND the buildings the architecture company is in looks similar, too! the second pic is where IRL and IG the architecture company is)
yz45UXC.png

8H9bT26.png

(more similarly windows, frames)
CY2v9Oi.png

DGDZBkD.jpg

(similar gate, overhead, advertising, etc)
dh9LYEO.png

XpnRY3h.jpg

(IRL on left, GTA V on right)
bfCcxwG.png

(also, there's a little bit of Rockstar San Diego, Rockstar Toronto, and Rockstar Vancouver in GTA V :p)
reference.jpg
Regardless of how many of them are exact or just similar, just being similar alone really shows how realistic and believable their world design is. I mean, I wouldn't quite say LS was designed by a civic engineer, but when most open world games have the civic logic of a toddler, GTA V is rather well done. And not just the civic layout, but especially believable (and practical) architecture, et cetera, which that quoted reply focuses on more.

I'm not sure if I'd put anyone above Rockstar... Blizzard has perhaps, artistically and for it's time, the most beautifully landscaped world. It has inane practical design, though. It would never actually be a practical function. Size aside, I thought the recent Deus Ex was tremedeous, but the scope is rather small and feels more like level design that captures a sense of 'being a part of a world' rather than actual world design.

Warhammer Online is a title I've almost never seen mentioned in this regard, or almost any regard on gaf, but I genuinely think it's Dwarf vs Greenskin area is on par with World of Warcraft's artistic world design... and is even better than most of its expansion areas, save for maybe Northrend and the starting area of Outland. WAR's mountains and outposts, in a very so-much-compact-detail with a lot of use of elevation/height in a sort of Warhammer/White Dwarf diorama, sort of way, is some of the painting-esque fantasy world design around. And, somewhat at least, more logical and practical than WoW -- though neither bordering on Rockstar's GTA V.

Edit: Just saw that GTAist reply/link, and it's a pretty awesome example, a better and more clear one, too, of why I'd say Rockstar is a safe choice.

Rockstar in my opinion is the king of the open world genre in part because they don't skimp on the details in their environments. Their games (especially the GTA series) always raise the bar and are unlike anything I've played before. A lot of research and care is taken in what they do. I remember Michael Pachter criticized Rockstar for this saying that they need to release GTAs more often and paying attention to minor details such as radio stations was unnecessary. I think it's refreshing that Rockstar is one of the few developers that put quality over profit. They know if the game is good the money will come. Too often we see games ruined because they were rushed out the door to turn a profit.

This.

If we're talking strictly open-worldd games, then yes, Rockstar has essentially written the book on world-building. But that does have a lot to do with what HK47 mentioned in regards to budgets and creative control.

If it's just world-building in general, then I'd venture to argue that the guys at studios like Black Isle/Obsidian (Fallout), Arkane (Dishonored), Team Silent (Silent Hill), and Looking Glass/Irrational (System Shock 2, Bioshock) have all successfull crafted dense and thought-provoking little universes which certainly give Rockstar, with their typically Americana-inspired locations, a run for their money.

Also keep in mind that the aforementioned studios have all worked on their games at a fraction of Rockstar's budget(s).

Skux

Only because their cities use existing cities as templates. Designing a fantasy or science fiction world is a whole new matter.

Flunkie

Banned
Just being able to walk through the streets and hear all new conversations that maybe 90% of other people will never hear is mindblowing to me. They pack so much content in their games that they do begin to feel like an organic world.

UrbanRats

Absolutely.

kh7lxqx1utin2y5oj0uy.gif

zjhiogs8uoipg3gkezgg.gif

(and more)

In terms of the world feeling more real than others that's largely a result of their budget and adhering closely to their real-world influence. The kind of detail in GTA V is only possible because of that. It feels like a real world largely because it is.

But creating a place like Skyrim, to me, is a far greater feat of world building and design.
Skyrim is just like any other Lord of the Rings shoot off you see out there.
If you're gonna downplay GTAV for having LA as a direct reference, Skyrim plays it pretty fucking straight compared to the mountain of fantasy art you have out there.
On top of that, while Los Santos usually feels like a real, living city, Skyrim is pretty silly in this regard, with places that should come off as prominent human towns like Whiterun, look and feel like an outpost with a couple of houses.

Moreover, it's not like Whiterun is directly lifted from Jackson's rendition of Edoras or anything ;)

As i said, R* ability in creating believable environments is surely related to having a huge budget, but also with a great expertise and artistry they have in that regard.
It's probably their best quality, actually.

No love for MMOs in here. I would think those are among the great world builders.

I also wonder if we should criticize GTA for making beautiful detailed world filled with people who you really only interact with through violence. One would think people are an important part of world building.

GTA IV and V featured the "dates" with the NPCs,in which you could get to know them better and explore the world. That was a step in the right direction.

If Morpheus and/or Oculus will support GTA V first person officially or unofficially, I am on it day one. It would take taxi's and walk around neigborhoods just to soak up that city feeling. Especially since the ambient/environmental soundscape is so good and believable.

Rockstar truly is one of my favorite developers.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If you're gonna downplay GTAV for having LA as a direct reference, Skyrim plays it pretty fucking straight compared to the mountain of fantasy art you have out there.
On top of that, while Los Santos usually feels like a real, living city, Skyrim is pretty silly in this regard, with places that should come off as prominent human towns like Whiterun, look and feel like an outpost with a couple of houses.

Moreover, it's not like Whiterun is directly lifted from Jackson's rendition of Edoras or anything ;)

Imagine he said Morrowind instead.

Game4life

Banned
TLOU shits on Max Payne 3. The level of detail and love poured into every area in TLOU is truly remarkable and it is not even a contest.

Rockstar are king of open world world building. They are peerless in that regard.

Fjordson

Yes and it ain't even close. Their commitment to detail and to the specific time and place of each of their settings is mighty impressive.

UrbanRats

Imagine he said Morrowind instead.

Morrowind is great and has a very unique look, though it's a hard comparison, since that and GTAV are so far apart.

But listen, i get the argument that creating a fantasy world and recreating a real place aren't the same thing, i'm saying though that both have their specific challenges.
In a fantasy setting you may have to come up with shit from the ground up (usually inspired by the real world, though, or heavily lifted from genre tropes) but on the other hand the consumer doesn't expect as much a level of accuracy and depth as the recreation of a real place.
When you recreate a real location, you may have a lot of direct references to look for, but you'll also encounter a much higher level of scrutiny, because every little imperfection becomes immediately noticeable, when looking at something familiar.
And it's also gonna be harder to give that place a strong sense of personality (which R* worlds do not lack).

So pick your poison.

DuffDry

Downplaying Rockstar's world building because it uses direct influence from real locations seems really silly to me. Especially when using it alongside praise for Skryim, as if there isn't immense Nordic influence throughout almost every facet of its design.

And a blank check and long development time doesn't magically churn out a great product. An equally silly notion. It sure as hell helps, but to downplay their accomplishments on that basis is absurd. It purposefully dances around what that dev does with its pedestrians, its weather, its soundtrack choice, its wildlife, its physics, its sound, its random events, etc.

If anything, all these comparison photos actually help the arguments claiming that they're one of the best in the business. At least in my opinion, which is all this discussion comes down to.

gafneo

Banned
RS has some Italian Renaissance style artists working for them. Each game has drastic improvements. They spent a lot more time on the fine detail for current gen. The best parts of GTA V are exploring the buildings. I would like their next game to focus even more on interior designs. Like imagine if almost every building on the block could be explored. You could loot homes like in Elder Scrolls or something.

They're always very impressive in terms of scale and being technical marvels, but I have also always found their worlds, the modern GTA ones especially so, to be lacking in terms of diversion/general interest. To put it bluntly; they're dull. So much so that I almost always find myself using the fast travel feature in their open world games, whereas in something like the Yakuza series of games I make a point of walking everywhere even though I have fast travel at my disposal. I still really enjoy most of Rockstar's games, though.

Alienous

As i said, R* ability in creating believable environments is surely related to having a huge budget, but also with a great expertise and artistry they have in that regard.
It's probably their best quality, actually.

When I mentioned Skyrim I was thinking only of the Dwemer. Yes, it is otherwise quite uninspired. But yeah, there are better examples.

Morrowind felt more immersive to me as a world than any of the GTA games. It's one thing to make something architecturally believable, but it's quite another to do that from scratch, and provide something detailed and rich that comes only from imagination and not thousands of photographs.

PSYGN

I loved GTAV but you don't get points for copying a city that actually exists. They did an impressive job, but they "just" rebuilt LA.

By contrast, MonilithSoft is creating VASTLY more original worlds with their Xenoblade games.

I'd actually argue that copying a real city/area to the detail GTA:V has done is more work because you have to study all the different regions and their culture and blend it all as seamlessly as possible into one world, whereas with original worlds the artist doesn't have to be as grounded to reality.

Phediuk

Copying the real world and changing the billboards helps with that, I think.

They're hardly original. They take bits and pieces and condense it all into a mini-city. Not that they're not good at it, but it's hardly world-building. More like world-copying.

I loved GTAV but you don't get points for copying a city that actually exists. They did an impressive job, but they "just" rebuilt LA.

Good god you people.

Fjordson

I'd actually argue that copying a real city/area to the detail GTA:V has done is more work because you have to study all the different regions and their culture and blend it all as seamlessly as possible into one world, whereas with original worlds the artist doesn't have to be as grounded to reality.
Yeah, I should be shocked people are using that...but it is GAF so...

R* could create a wholly original fantasy world bigger than Middle Earth and some would still try to downplay it. Just how it is.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

This argument would have merit if it was a foreign culture they were adapting into the GTA games.

LA? NY? Miami? These places and their respective regional quirks are all in the public consciousness of Americans. You hardly need to do an intensive in-situ ethnography to "understand" these cities.

EDIT: Well I made myself look like an sss.

Fjordson

This argument would have merit if it was a foreign culture and foreign architecture they were adapting into the GTA games.

LA? NY? Miami? These places and their respective regional quirks are all in the public consciousness of Americans. You hardly need to do an intensive in-situ ethnography to "understand" these places.
Well GTA is made in Scotland. So technically it is foreign :lol

DuffDry

LA? NY? Miami? These places and their respective regional quirks are all in the public consciousness of Americans. You hardly need to do an intensive in-situ ethnography to "understand" these cities.

GTA isn't developed by Americans.

Mooreberg

They are by far the best when it comes to open world game design. GTA V did not have an acre of wasted space in it. There are several developers that I would put on par when it comes to linear game world design. I am really interested to see what Rockstar does using the newer hardware as a footprint.

jem0208

I've always found Rockstar's world's very boring. They're very detailed but there's nothing interesting to find in them. It's just a city.

I think GTA is a good game and the world is well made but I'm not personally that interested in the world. It's just that I'm not into realistic settings as much because I personally have seen cityscapes and super highways, and the effort Rockstar puts into it makes it look nice. But I really like landscapes and settings that are unique and look like someone's imagination come to life. Even X has graphics that aren't too hot, the scale of it and how the mechs are flying throughout it to give a nice view really makes it unique, and something like I could never experience in my lifetime. I really do wish there was a good open world sci-fi fantasy space game (there are different types of space sci-fi but I would love something like Cobra or even Cowboy Bebop) , but that is a whole different topic.

I think Rockstar is the best videogame developer in the world.

Blizzard is a close second. (WoW is still amazing 10 years later)

Bioware and Bethesda are tied for third.

Ubisoft is very good too. Gets lot of crap for DLC and preorder segmentation, but it's built some amazing worlds.

eso76

Gtav Los Santos is incredible.
You never have the impression the game world is artificial or just a bunch of pre made blocks thrown around and arranged in different ways. GTAV world doesn't look or feel like it was built with tools and editors, absolutely everything on the map looks hand placed and you'd say every square meter is unique and carefully crafted. In fact I don't think I've seen reused buildings assets anywhere.
Everything is so logical and believable you develop a real sense of direction and being there.

But we have never seen RS at work on fictional / fantasy worlds..

red720

I would say Bethesda are tops. The Elder Scrolls games in particular really feel like a place you can live in and explore, rather than a playground to wreck havoc and complete assigned tasks in.

Bethesda's games are the only open world games where I don't just chase icons on a map but actually explore the world. I think to 100% one of their games with a single character would be to miss the point of it. The main quest never has to intrude into being an adventurer in Tamriel.

Wil348

Undoubtedly. GTA V is the best open world game I have ever played, mostly because of its open world. The story and characters aren't the best in the series but the game world itself is so diverse and well constructed that I often find myself messing around in it for hours with friends in Online. Even though the world is big, I don't find any areas to be barren or lacking in detail, every part of the map has somewhere to go.

I was never on the hype train for GTA V (huge regret actually), but just before release, because everyone was talking about it, I caved and bought it for 360. I was absolutely floored by it, and it has remained as one of my most played games to this day. Bought the PS4 version the day it released, and I would happily buy the PC version if or when I build a PC capable of running it.

doofy102

Fantasy worlds hardly get points for imagination, honestly. A barely serviceable fantasy world (which is what most of them are) is somehow better than an immaculately realised urban setting? You guys are boring.

The only fantasy setting that would match Rockstar would be one made my Rockstar. And then people would criticize them for "merely copying medieval life, and not putting in enough myths and legends and gods" or something.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I felt the need to live in the world of xenoblade more than most of the GTA games because of the world building in that game.

Jac_Solar

I think the Gothic games, 3 in particular, are on another level in terms of world building. Running around in those worlds feels like a proper adventure. The way they do vegetation, in particular, is very good, and significantly better than anything else I'm aware of. While Risen 2 isn't really open world like the Gothic games, it still has some incredible world design.

By contrast, MonilithSoft is creating VASTLY more original worlds with their Xenoblade games.

I've never seen such a wrong post in my life. It's hilarious how many people are hideously oversimplifying what Rockstar does, as if it's something any dev can do given the money. This isn't true, otherwise Ubisoft would be the best in the business wouldn't they?

GTA's worlds have so much character and intricate design that only the most passionate designers could make. Even just the random bits of litter and clutter that are strewn around run-down places, like the various dirty, grimy, damaged pieces in this picture:
l2fq7dpfNk2sreiRN4l0_A_0_0.jpg

And as I said with the intricate details:
f0ejQLDs6UW_F7fXsCpiiQ_0_0.jpg

Has anyone ever seen such a detailed little lifering in a game? I doubt it.

GTA 5 is a masterpiece in absolutely every aspect. Have another picture, just as a little showcase of the fantastic lighting and reflections in the game that also contribute to the plausibility and natural feel of it. I'd love to see a Xenoblade game look as homely and "functioning, living city-like" as this.
R8lVle6WY0i2nty2bPdNEQ_0_0.jpg

They do have the benefit of basically having infinite time and money to work on their stuff which shows.

Under another publisher I am sure GTA's worlds would have become as bland and copy + paste-y as the cities in Assassins Creed games.
This is actually one of the areas I think Assassin's Creed does well. Paris in AC Unity was beautiful.

Getting such huge draw distances with that much detail on PS3 GTA V was amazing

Flying, views of city front high vantage points on older consoles was an amazing achievement regardless of money

And whatever you think of them as games both unity and watchdogs had a lot of simulation elements huge in scope, unity for crowd size and watchdogs in terms of complex animations like people playing soccer

I,d love to see what volition could do with similar budgets

In terms of gameplay I,d say the fallout 3, NV

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I was looking at some footage of Max Payne 3 on PC and despite being a last gen game, somehow, i was impressed with what i was watching. I actually did play the game on a 360 when it was released and thought it was the best looking game ever but today i was thinking that after all these years (and the next-gen consoles being released) it might not look that great to me. But i was wrong.

Its the same thing with the original GTA5. I still believe this game (not even the remaster) looks better than Watch Dogs on a PS4.

It seems to me that the reason of this is the way the world/backgrounds are designed. Sure, Watch Dogs have better graphics with more "modern" effects and such but why is that the city doesn't look that good? Is it because Rockstar designs better textures? (kinda like Valve?) Maybe its the geometry detail? I feel like GTA 5 still has a bigger geometry detail at any given scene than Watch Dogs. Is it the lighting? GTA4 had awful lighting but Max Payne 3 and GTA 5 look very natural. Is it because the towns look busier? Still, that doesn't effect Max Payne though.

I think its the combination of high geometry detail and the way Rockstar designs buildings and structures. Even areas that look boring in other games (offices, garages, tunnels, narrow alleys) look great in GTA5 or Max Payne 3.

Thoughts?

First of all, Rockstar is incredibly talented. Secondly, they're one of the only studios who have the power to say "we're going to make our next game, we're going to spend as much money as we want, and the game will be ready when we say so".

Of course that wouldn't mean anything if they weren't immensely talented and creative as well.

So combined with some of the industry's best, yes, there's no doubt they make the best worlds, open or otherwise, in gaming.

sn00zer

Yes of course....

*Plays Yakuza 4*

Well they are second best at least

I think Rockstar could absolutely be the best though if they shrank their scale....a GTA-like game with a 1/4 of the map size and same budget could be amazing

Top Bottom