• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF : Is DmC Devil May Cry Definitive Edition a worthy upgrade?

Gbraga

Question when did Digital Foundry start?

Like don't get me wrong what they do is a service but it serves a niche group of people who are concerned with the say finer aspects of fidelity.

You don't see graphical/fps comparisons at stores where games are sold or anywhere it would have a consumer impact?

I'm not sure myself, but an ICE Team member states that it's not hardware related.

http://bit.ly/1FEPeT3

Fury451

Banned
Your argument is invalid. It is an issue.

Damn double post

Take it up with the devs or the engine is his point. That doesn't make his argument invalid at all.

You already posted the link? It's even on the same page here... And it doesn't make the af issues disappear.

Reading comprehension is low when there's a battle to be won. Reposting the link helps to show this issue has been commented on, even though people still ask "So when's Sony going to say something?"

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Naw, just a little or in this case a lot of elbow grease!

An ICE Team member states that it's NOT hardware related.

http://bit.ly/1FEPeT3
It's already been pointed out in this thread that this interview is a year old it's not exactly up to date information. In saying that however I doubt there is a hardware issue, I would have thought if that was the case then it would affect more games, right?

Gbraga

Take it up with the devs or the engine is his point. That doesn't make his argument invalid at all.

The "devs are lazy", as ridiculous as it may sound, can make some sense for games that completely lack AF, but I find it veeeery hard to believe that devs would go through the trouble of adding AF but would choose for whatever reason to stick with low amounts of AF, instead of full 16X.

And when exclusive games with great graphics have variable AF, it makes it pretty clear that it's not as simple as "it's just devs not using it". I'm not a programmer myself, but I assume having variable AF depending on how demanding the scene is takes a lot more work than just setting AF to 16x and having no performance issues for that.

People are actually buying this? I have this on PS3 thanks to PS+ and never felt the urge to fire it up.

I'm sure they made this HD version on a shoestring budget.

DieH@rd

Banned
People are actually buying this? I have this on PS3 thanks to PS+ and never felt the urge to fire it up.

It is a very good port. They did not touch visuals, but they added a ton of improvements [both content wise and gameplay additions for high-end players]. You can see the list of improvements and Q&A from Dahbomb in OT

Javin98

Banned
Damn, lack of AF on PS4 again? This really seems more like a software issue for it to be omitted completely. Most games have AF, albeit a low amount, but Unreal Engine 3 games just seem to really struggle with AF on PS4. This gets me worried for Batman Arkham Knight. I really hope that it has at least 4× AF on both consoles

Fury451

Banned
The "devs are lazy", as ridiculous as it may sound, can make some sense for games that completely lack AF, but I find it veeeery hard to believe that devs would go through the trouble of adding AF but would choose for whatever reason to stick with low amounts of AF, instead of full 16X.

And when exclusive games with great graphics have variable AF, it makes it pretty clear that it's not as simple as "it's just devs not using it". I'm not a programmer myself, but I assume having variable AF depending on how demanding the scene is takes a lot more work than just setting AF to 16x and having no performance issues for that.

I'm not saying that's it's a definitive solution, but as for what we know now at this moment, it appears to be more of a blatant problem selective with certain games. Perhaps it's a problem with implementation, but it can be done on PS4, so the issue seems to be on why it's apparently so difficult, not "The PS4 is broken Sony owes me!" (You aren't saying this by the way, there's just a tendency to overreact I think).

There is definitely a curious thing going on here though, but I'm more perplexed by why games like this, or Revelations 2, even REmake Remastered are having quirks with the PS4 primarily when they should run easily. There's a connector between all 3 of these, so that indicates to me maybe it's a 70/30 split between dev optimization and potential hardware difficulties.

Some people like fun games ;)

If it wasn't a DMC game, I don't think there would be nearly the amount of (undeserved) flak this game got.

Your second statement is probably true though- epitome of hit and miss with some of these HD upgrades, but this is sounding like a good one.

Kezen

Banned
Damn, lack of AF on PS4 again? This really seems more like a software issue for it to be omitted completely. Most games have AF, albeit a low amount, but Unreal Engine 3 games just seem to really struggle with AF on PS4. This gets me worried for Batman Arkham Knight. I really hope that it has at least 4× AF on both consoles

"Hoping" for 4xAF....
My God.

I'm not even certain the game will have 16xAF by default on PC (Batman AA/AC had 4xAF native) but in the case that it does not then the driver panel will do the trick.

Javin98

Banned
"Hoping" for 4xAF....
My God.

I'm not even certain the game will have 16xAF by default on PC (Batman AA/AC had 4xAF native) but in the case that it does not then the driver panel will do the trick.
Wait. PC versions of Batman AA and AC had 4x AF max by default? WTF? I wasn't aware of that as I played them all on PS3. Doesn't make any sense for Rocksteady not to implement it on PC. Then again, their Batman games have been heavily focused on consoles. But is it really too much to ask for 4x AF in Arkham Knight? It should be the minumum by today's standards.

Kezen

Banned
Wait. PC versions of Batman AA and AC had 4x AF max by default? WTF?
Yes. But this is considered a non issue for reasons explained above. Simple file edit or driver AF.
Those are not exceptions by the way.

I wasn't aware of that as I played them all on PS3. Doesn't make any sense for Rocksteady not to implement it on PC. Then again, their Batman games have been heavily focused on consoles. But is it really too much to ask for 4x AF in Arkham Knight? It should be the minumum by today's standards.
It won't be a problem on PC regardless since you can enable it easily (barely any cost, no visual bugs) but on consoles ? You are dreaming very low with 4xAF.
I mean "hoping" for such a low amount of AF in 2015...That should be mandatory.

Javin98

Banned
Yes. But this is considered a non issue for reasons explained above. Simple file edit or driver AF.
Those are not exceptions by the way.

It won't be a problem on PC regardless since you can enable it easily (barely any cost, no visual bugs) but on consoles ? You are dreaming very low with 4xAF.
I mean "hoping" for such a low amount of AF in 2015...That should be mandatory.
Oh, I thought you meant I was keeping my hopes too high. I sure as hell wish devs could use 16x AF on consoles but there seems to be issues which hinder devs from doing so. 4x AF really has to be the minimum, but somehow we have a few cases of a complete lack of AF. It's embarrassing to still have only 4x AF in 2015 and I wish devs would resolve this issue.

kikonawa

But is the game fun? I tried the ps3 demo many moons ago and couldnt help it but it felt so bad and different then for ex dmc4

jett

D-Member
At this rate there must be something wrong either with the hardware of the SDK. I really don't even understand. All kinds of garbage cards for the last 10 years have managed to max out AF without any penalty.

Beck

If anyone wants some screenshot comparisons between the PS4 and PC, there are some here.

The AF can be real bad at times:
PC
DmC-comp-020-PC.jpg

PS4
DmC-comp-020-PS4.jpg

Kezen

Banned
Oh, I thought you meant I was keeping my hopes too high. I sure as hell wish devs could use 16x AF on consoles but there seems to be issues which hinder devs from doing so. 4x AF really has to be the minimum, but somehow we have a few cases of a complete lack of AF. It's embarrassing to still have only 4x AF in 2015 and I wish devs would resolve this issue.

Javin you want another example of a PC version not shipping with 16xAF by default ? Look no further than DmC.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/DmC_Devil_May_Cry
Default is 4x. Can be set up to 16x in devilengine.ini

There you have it. One time operation, don't have to bother at all after that and it works everywhere, eveytime.

Javin98

Banned
Javin you want another example of a PC version not shipping with 16xAF by default ? Look no further than DmC.
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/DmC_Devil_May_Cry

There you have it. One time operation, don't have to bother at all after that and it works everywhere, eveytime.
I think you misunderstood me entirely. When I said 4x AF in Batman Arkham Knight, I meant the PS4 and XBO versions, I didn't mention PC anywhere. If Rocksteady actually makes a good PC port this time, any PC should be able to achieve 16x AF. And when I said devs were hindered, I meant they couldn't achieve more than 4x AF on PS4 and XBO in most games while PC's should be able to go all the way to 16x with no problems at all. So if I didn't make this clear earlier, I wasn't referring to PC versions of games, I meant the console versions

Kezen

Banned
I think you misunderstood me entirely. When I said 4x AF in Batman Arkham Knight, I meant the PS4 and XBO versions, I didn't mention PC anywhere. If Rocksteady actually makes a good PC port this time, any PC should be able to achieve 16x AF. And when I said devs were hindered, I meant they couldn't achieve more than 4x AF on PS4 and XBO in most games while PC's should be able to go all the way to 16x with no problems at all. So if I didn't make this clear earlier, I wasn't referring to PC versions of games, I meant the console versions

My post was in reference to your "WTF" when I said that the two Batman games didn't ship with native 16xAF. I'm just telling you there are other examples.

As for consoles I would "hope" for the 16xAF which is standard on PC (even if you have to modify a .ini file or force it at driver level).

jediyoshi

You don't see graphical/fps comparisons at stores where games are sold or anywhere it would have a consumer impact?

Well in that case, a larger percentage of consumers don't give two shits about a game other than what its name is on the box than you'd probably like to think. Is it Madden? Alright, here's 60 bucks.

Javin98

Banned
My post was in reference to your "WTF" when I said that the two Batman games didn't ship with native 16xAF. I'm just telling you there are other examples.

As for consoles I would "hope" for the 16xAF which is standard on PC (even if you have to modify a .ini file or force it at driver level).
Oh, that makes a lot more sense now. Anyway, unless devs resolve whatever the issue they're facing with AF, I don't think we'll ever see 16x AF being a common sight in this generation

Lazy developer strikes again. There's no reason why the PS4 version would look like that other than them pushing it out the door after it hit whatever their performance bar was. It was definitely a more gameplay focused remaster than anything else.

Lazy developer strikes again. There's no reason why the PS4 version would look like that other than them pushing it out the door after it hit whatever their performance bar was. It was definitely a more gameplay focused remaster than anything else.

The list of PS4 games with no/minimal AF solutions is ever so increasing.

This isn't purely a developer issue.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I'd actually rather they abandoned mipmaps altogether than this. Ps2 games rarely used mipmaps and suffered from shimmering instead but I think it looks sharper and more appealing than blurry trilinear filtering.

Has to be an sdk issue.

i-Lo

Either Sony should mandate AF or I think there's a lot of smokescreen with the HW (bandwidth issues) or the SDK is a mess when it comes to implementation of the feature.

FFS, that comparison screen looks like a generation behind the last pertaining to the floor.

I don't understand how such a cheap effect can apparently cause problems for a reasonably modern piece of hardware like the PS4. How strange.

Duxxy3

Second capcom game this year that is poorly optimized on the PS4. Maybe it's just the tools that capcom uses?

Top Bottom