• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF : Is DmC Devil May Cry Definitive Edition a worthy upgrade?

Kezen

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-is-dmc-definitive-edition-a-worthy-upgrade

Fast forward to today and with the new PS4 and Xbox One Definitive Edition, we finally have 60fps DmC gameplay on console. So is the new release worthy of an upgrade for owners of the last-gen game? Well, today we'll be comparing the new PS4 game with the existing PS3 and PC builds - and as soon as we're done, we'll post our Xbox One vs PlayStation 4 comparisons too.

Unlike, say, Tomb Raider, we're not looking at higher poly models, additional effects work or enhanced environments. Instead, what we have here is a close port of the existing PC version with some bonus extras.

Excellent article once again.

PC (DX9, 2013) vs PS4 :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37e6WuQ8TsI

NEO0MJ

I'm kinda surprised they couldn't lock it to 60 FPS, but this I'm really surprised by

We're still working on our analysis of the Xbox One version of the Definitive Edition, but just a quick look at the game on the Microsoft console reveals a decent level of anisotropic filtering in place, producing a cleaner, more detailed looking game than its PS4 counterpart.

ZeroX03

Banned
This being Digital Foundry they don't focus on gameplay and balancing additions and I would love people to check out the wonderful OT and read the improvements because there's a lot of non-graphical stuff. Beyond simply "bonus stuff" for my liking.

Putty

Dodgy Aniso Filtering yet again. I'm not one for complaining, but how so many games have and some don't is .....baffling.

Kezen

Banned
Its due to CPU bottleneck. Game is on UE3 and it favors single-threaded performance, which is quite low on current-gen consoles.

But the game does not ask for much in terms of CPU on the PC side. A Phenom x4 955 is enough for 60fps.

I0AHzNW.jpg

KKRT00

But the game does not ask for much in terms of CPU on the PC side. A Phenom x4 955 is enough for 60fps.

I0AHzNW.jpg

Sure, but they are clocked at over 3ghz, when console CPUs are clocked at 1.6 and 1,75ghz. Thats the reason why its lacking.

---
Dodgy Aniso Filtering yet again. I'm not one for complaining, but how so many games have and some don't is .....baffling.
But most games have quite low AF, 4x at best. It is problem in almost every game, it is just lower an issue in some than in others.

bede-x

I don't get how this is not a constant 60fps considering how little PC hardware is required to achieve that.

Kezen

Banned
Sure, but they are clocked at over 3ghz, when console CPUs are clocked at 1.6 and 1,75ghz. Thats the reason why its lacking.

---

But most games have quite low AF, 4x at best. It is problem in almost every game, it is just lower an issue in some than in others.

Is the clock is everything though ? Is a Core 2 Quad @ 2.5ghz superior in terms of single threaded performance ?

I've read on Beyond3d (I think that was sebbi) that a Haswell core @ 3.2ghz is four times faster than a Jaguar core.

Will be buying on PS4 - it's a decent price for one my favourite games of last-gen and, in my opinion of course, the best Devil May Cry by a country mile.

Kezen

Banned
Of course it is not, but IPC in Jaguar is not higher than in C2D and much lower than on Sandy Bridge like CPUs, so in that case clock means everything for game on UE 3.

I guess that explains why the Borderlands collection is "up to 60fps".

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm kinda surprised they couldn't lock it to 60 FPS, but this I'm really surprised by

This being Capcom, I'm not surprised at all. Seems the X1 version always winds up a little better when it comes to their games. Looking forward to reading the full breakdown, and I'll decide later tonight on which version to grab.

NEO0MJ

The lack of good AF on PS4 games has been quite a regular sight in these kinds of comparisons unfortunately.

Its due to CPU bottleneck. Game is on UE3 and it favors single-threaded performance, which is quite low on current-gen consoles.

I see. I always thought people were joking about the whole CPU advantage but I guess it is real.

This being Capcom, I'm not surprised at all. Seems the X1 version always winds up a little better when it comes to their games. Looking forward to reading the full breakdown, and I'll decide later tonight on which version to grab.

They're by different developers and different engines though, right?

Any word if they will release for pc or update pcver?

I don't think so, no. I wish they would update it as I'm too lazy to do all the mods.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How the Xbox One edition shapes up remains to be seen - however, first impressions suggest improved image quality overall and frame-rates look to be in the same overall ballpark as the PS4 game. We're working double-time to get the comparisons and performance metrics complete and we'll post an update as soon as possible.

Huh ... Its good to see multiplatform Xbone games are catching up on both platforms now.

adamsapple

Are they? I haven't been keeping up on the game at all. I'm just burned out on the deluge of open world games in my library, and really need a game like this.

Yeah, this game is developed by Ninja Theory and runs on Unreal Engine 3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One other annoyance I noted was the appearance of screen tearing during pre-rendered videos. Not a huge deal but it does detract from the games presentation.

adamsapple

Did you see bf: hardline?

Yes, neither version made any changes from BF4's engine.

but those guys are too busy fixing the broken mess that was BF4 to make any engine optimizations :p so that doesn't count.

CozMick

Banned
Many PS4 games have a lack of AF though. So it's definately a issue of PS4

And like MaLDo said, the texture resolution is also worse.

7 confirmed games, most using ue3.

There are more 720p games on xbox one than there are games with less AF on ps4.

its not a issue.

Kezen

Banned

Not lack of AF per se, just 16xAF on PS4 / Xbox One is rare.

And by the way there are recent PC releases which don't ship with native 16xAF as well, you either have to edit config files (one time operation) or enable it through the driver panel.
Both works.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

Maybe it's less of a PS4 issue and more of a dev kit / middle ware issue? Maybe PS4 just doesn't offer a convenient or well-performing standard-implementation of AF, whereas Xbone does. That would be my guess at least.

Top Bottom