• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF : Is DmC Devil May Cry Definitive Edition a worthy upgrade?

thelastword

Banned
If the comparison isn't finished why release the publish the article?
Because they wanted to get the xbone has "better texture filtering" part out there early enough.

As for video, I see that effects are a bit more pronounced on the PS4 version over the PC, AA looks better. AF is clearly worse on PS4 but there is no worse textures as MaLDo suggested. They need to fix AF though.

Instead of publishing this for hits, why don't DF contact NT to find out the situation with AF for the full article?

dZqWIYF.jpg

cerny plz

Gross.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I do think the improved cutscenes deserve more credit than they're getting.

The game used plenty of real-time cutscenes already but there were a fair few pre-rendered sequences in the original version. On the PC, where everything was higher resolution and 60 fps, these sequences really stood out as they were poorly compressed, 30 fps, 720p videos upscaled to whatever resolution you were running. I've always felt that such things really take you out of the story - it's very jarring.

I'm surprised that they actually went back and remade ALL of the games cutscenes at full 1080p60. I'll have to load it up on my capture system later to see for sure, but the quality is high enough that I'm wondering if they're all real-time now. The few actual videos left in the game (the Unreal logo, the loading screens, and the credits) are all 30 fps and suffer from tearing. During the actual game, though, none of the cutscenes exhibit tearing and all are 60 fps.

This is really only the second "remastering" that I can think of where cutscenes were improved (the first being The Last of Us). I think it makes a big difference and should definitely be commended.

The AF thing has overshadowed the fact that the rest of the port is quite well done.

Instead of publishing this for hits, why don't DF contact NT to find out the situation with AF for the full article?
I wish that were possible. I doubt most contacts know anything about this and it seems unlikely that they'd get a hold of someone at Q-Loc to ask them what's up.

scitek

My i52500k can deliver a pretty solid 120fps with this game at 1080p and max settings. It drops every so often, but this is interesting. I thought this port would fare better.

Edit: I should clarify I thought it would fare better with the frame rate, it doesn't seem like a bad port overall.

Wereroku

I wish that were possible. I doubt most contacts know anything about this and it seems unlikely that they'd get a hold of someone at Q-Loc to ask them what's up.

You have better luck trying than us. Can you see if your contacts would ask around? DF managed to get some things fixed in games by working with devs would be nice if you could in this case as well.

I think people need to start pushing devs for answers rather than Sony. Sony's already gone on the record saying there aren't issues in regards to using AF on PS4. What have devs said about this, if anyone has even asked?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is really only the second "remastering" that I can think of where cutscenes were improved (the first being The Last of Us). I think it makes a big difference and should definitely be commended.

The GOW Collection Vol 2 also did this.
was more impressive there since those were PSP assets remade in 1080p

But the game does not ask for much in terms of CPU on the PC side. A Phenom x4 955 is enough for 60fps.

http://i.imgur.com/I0AHzNW.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

If we just look at an Athlon Jaguar 5150 and a Phenom II on a single core, Phenom is twice as fast. As you've read on on B3D, intel can be around 3-4 times faster. I'm not saying this is why but a game stuck using 1-2 cores could have an issue. It's really a laptop CPU. Don't want to get into coding the metal and Carmack though, just looking at them at face value in tests.

Intels laptop CPU are 2x faster with the same power draw as the Jaguar.

AMD can bridge the gap with higher power draw and clock speeds but Intel is always ahead in IPC and performance per watt

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Lack of AF and not locked 60fps (and no better 3d models)

Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs and now this, it seems like the quality of "remasters" took nose dive now.

omonimo

Banned

Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs and now this, it seems like the quality of "remasters" took nose dive now.

fps it's not that terrible. There are some odd dips, but they aren't so frequent. It's quite in line with the past 60 fps games on console. At least from the video on DF. The more annoying thing it's just the AF. I can't believe to see again another title with better AF on ps3.

dark10x

It's not even close to those train wrecks. The AF issue is really the only problem. The frame-rate is locked 99% of the time, I'd say. It's very smooth. Plus they re-did all of the video cutscenes at 1080p60 as well, which adds a lot to the presentation.

thelastword

Banned
I do think the improved cutscenes deserve more credit than they're getting.

The AF thing has overshadowed the fact that the rest of the port is quite well done.
Well that's the thing, working on the cutscenes would actually take much more work than implementing 16xAF. It's so trivial in the dev process that people are wondering what's going on, and rightfully so. In essence, if you could get us 60 fps cutscenes, where is our check the button AF? It's part of the SDK, it's not something programmers have to code into the game themselves.

Dark10x said:
Why Q-Loc and not Ninja Theory? If Q-Loc had a hand in this, then they have been baking too many pies and squandering on taste/quality.

I do think the port is solid, this is no saints row, sleeping dogs or re-revelations 2, but AF uplifts the look of a game so much and it's so trivial to implement, plus it's running flawlessly on lesser hardware. You just want whatever issues is preventing it's implementation to be dealt with, so it could no longer sprout it's ugly head.

So is the general consensus this game actually runs/looks better on XBOX ONE than PS4?
There is no concensus, the PS4 version is only lacking AF, the xbone version have not been compared to it. If the PS4 version is dropping frames, then we can predict that the xbone version will drop even more frames. If it performs the same or better with it's implementation of AF, this means something is not quite right with the PS4 api or the dev process (lack of optimization, sloppy work). The more powerful hardware should always perform better.

Not sure if it warrants a new thread since it's related to this article, but Gamingbolt did a comparison between PS4 and Xbox One: gamingbolt.com/dmc-definitive-edition-visual-analysis-ps4-vs-xbox-one-head-to-head

Sounds like both versions are pretty identical in frame rate (slight edge to XB1, perhaps due to CPU?), and overall are pretty similar.

We observed some frame rate drops in playing through the first few hours of the campaign and Vergil’s Downfall but these were incredibly few and far between. The drops are fairly miniscule as well, with the average frame on the PS4 coming in at 55 frames per second while the Xbox One is 57 frames per second. Keep in mind that DmC: Definitive Edition is still on Unreal Engine 3 but running on platforms meant for Unreal Engine 4.
The Xbox One version may have a slightly better average frame rate and anisotropic filtering than the PS4 version but both are otherwise identical. Whichever version you decide to pick up, you’ll be assured of a rollicking good time with excellent visuals.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's not even close to those train wrecks. The AF issue is really the only problem. The frame-rate is locked 99% of the time, I'd say. It's very smooth. Plus they re-did all of the video cutscenes at 1080p60 as well, which adds a lot to the presentation.
This is honestly the most worthwhile remaster I've played. The gameplay tweaks make a world of difference and the performance is excellent. AF is the only disappointing thing but it plays so much better than the original release that's quickly forgotten.

thelastword

Banned
Not sure if it warrants a new thread since it's related to this article, but Gamingbolt did a comparison between PS4 and Xbox One: gamingbolt.com/dmc-definitive-edition-visual-analysis-ps4-vs-xbox-one-head-to-head

Sounds like both versions are pretty identical in frame rate (slight edge to XB1, perhaps due to CPU?), and overall are pretty similar.
The cpu does not give you an edge with AF.

The game is 1080p on both consoles yet it runs slightly better on xbone with a better implementation of a GPU feature? Something is up. I didn't see their framerate test though?

Well, DF said there was absolutely no improvement from the PC version and I noticed that wasn't true looking at DF's own video. I highlighted it when I initially posted in this thread but It seems gamingbolt agrees with me and pretty much confirms it. In DF's videos all the effects in the PS4 version had more volume ( especially background effects), light sources radiated brighter and shadows slightly more solid over the PC, the only area I noticed a deficiency was better AF on PC, as it stands, better on the xbone as well.

So this is the second game from Capcom that has better performance on the weaker console just weeks from each other, strange times.

jackdoe

The hilarious thing about this situation is that Capcom gave out PS4 review copies for this game. It makes it seem like Capcom didn't even know this issue existed and had assumed the PS4 version would be better or at least on par with the Xbox One version. Guess QLOC neglected to mention this to them.

The cpu does not give you an edge with AF.

The game is 1080p on both consoles yet it runs slightly better on xbone with a better implementation of a GPU feature? Something is up. I didn't see their framerate test though?

Well, DF said there was absolutely no improvement from the PC version and I noticed that wasn't true looking at DF's own video. I highlighted it when I initially posted in this thread but It seems gamingbolt agrees with me and pretty much confirms it. In DF's videos all the effects in the PS4 version had more volume ( especially background effects), light sources radiated brighter and shadows slightly more solid over the PC, the only area I noticed a deficiency was better AF on PC, as it stands, better on the xbone as well.

So this is the second game from Capcom that has better performance on the weaker console just weeks from each other, strange times.
Could you point out what you mean by this with screens?

Theorry

Face-Off: DmC Devil May Cry Definitive Edition.

The jury's out on whether DmC: Definitive Edition really is the best version of the game given that it doesn't quite deliver a seamless 1080p60 experience - something that PC owners have been enjoying since the game's release in 2013. However, from a console perspective the new PS4 and Xbox One editions provide a clear and welcome upgrade over the 30fps last-gen outings. The native 1080p visuals deliver a nice boost in sharpness and clarity, while the gameplay feels more fluid and responsive - DmC simply feels more like a Devil May Cry title, and that may make the Definitive Edition worthy of a double dip for fans of the series.

DmC is a decent port across both current-gen consoles, although both versions have some plus and minus points to consider. The tearing on the Xbox One is a little more intrusive than the short dips in frame-rate on the PS4, though both manage to deliver extended segments of solid 60fps gameplay. Image quality is basically identical, but the lack of anisotropic filtering harms the presentation of the PS4 game, leaving blurry artwork displayed on-screen far more frequently than the Xbox One game, which is clearer and cleaner in comparison. With this in mind, we're inclined to give the Xbox One the final nod here: the dips and tearing are intermittent, while the reduced texture clarity on the PS4 is a more frequent annoyance. That said, when assessing both titles overall, both are still solid releases, and the Definitive Edition is well worth picking up if you don't have an Xbox One, or simply prefer the Dual Shock 4 controller.

From a technical perspective the PC game still offers up the best experience overall. A solid 60fps provides low latency gameplay that feels consistent, along with the uninterrupted silky smooth motion provided by a locked frame-rate. For hardcore fans it's simply the best way to play the game. Of course, there are compromises in choosing the PC game: image quality isn't quite as sharp as the PS4 and Xbox One versions, and there's no compendium of DLC content or bonus costumes included in the existing game as standard. Our take? The hardcore should stick with (or consider investing in) the PC version, while others might like to consider the console versions. They're not quite as good as they could - and should - have been, but the boosts provided are a night and day difference over the last-gen versions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Gbraga

That really makes no sense.

Unless by "hardcore" they mean hardcore image quality enthusiasts or something like that? Because hardcore players will definitely find the best version of the game in the new release, with Hardcore Mode, Turbo Mode, lock-on and a 23 page long gameplay balance changelog that makes this edition the best possible way to play DmC.

I have locked 60 at 3200x1800 on PC, but it's still an inferior game to the one I'm playing on PS4 now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Unless by "hardcore" they mean hardcore image quality enthusiasts or something like that? Because hardcore players will definitely find the best version of the game in the new release, with Hardcore Mode, Turbo Mode, lock-on and a 23 page long gameplay balance changelog that makes this edition the best possible way to play DmC.

I have locked 60 at 3200x1800 on PC, but it's still an inferior game to the one I'm playing on PS4 now.

That's probably what they mean, though they could have worded it better. The article is almost strictly about graphical fidelity after all.

dark10x

I'm with you on that. The PC version looks best but the changes to this new release combined with solid performance make for a better version in terms of gameplay. Plus, if you cares about the story bits, they're also much better than in the PC version. I picked up the ps4 version myself as the improvements are excellent and it's nice to have it all on a disc for my collection.

Gbraga

That's probably what they mean, though they could have worded it better. The article is almost strictly about graphical fidelity after all.

That was my first impression, but when they talk about input consistency because of locked 60fps, it's impossible not to imagine they're talking about hardcore DMC players.

I'm with you on that. The PC version looks best but the changes to this new release combined with solid performance make for a better version in terms of gameplay. Plus, if you cares about the story bits, they're also much better than in the PC version. I picked up the ps4 version myself as the improvements are excellent and it's nice to have it all on a disc for my collection.

Yeah, I thought you were exaggerating when you were saying how good the new cutscenes felt, and you weren't. I almost felt like watching them again.

Just almost, skipped that shit anyway.

The loading times are kinda bad in this new version though, I don't remember it taking so long to load on PC.

Somehow being in 60 fps makes the game look uglier. It's probably because you can more easily see how bad the animations are, especially with larger enemies. Also it's easier to see how janky the combat is. I'll wait for the DMC4 remaster.

Well U can play DMC4 "remasterr" on PC, I tested it on old HD4850 and it runs 1920x1080p@60fps@ultra settings with AA and stuff and looks great

The conclusion that the PC offers less sharp IQ is odd. I mean... you can play PC games at any resolution you want... as well as being able to turn off the ingame FXAA and add any PPAA you wish.

Is there a reason why DF doesnt include the modular nature of PC gaming specs and resolutions in some articles... but in others it does? Perhaps a standardisation of methodology would be good!

Gbraga

@Dictator93: As far as I know, they limit themselves to compare how the game would run on a similarly priced PC when giving their veredict, only going in-depth about ultra settings on PC and stuff like that during the article.

It's a great way of comparing things, but they should definitely make that a bit more clear (if they're still using that method).

They definitely have no bias against PC though, their article on 30fps PC gaming was great, and I keep using it as reference for many discussions and even just helping people figure out the best rig for their budget.

Well U can play DMC4 "remasterr" on PC, I tested it on old HD4850 and it runs 1920x1080p@60fps@ultra settings with AA and stuff and looks great

You'll be able to play as Vergil in the Special Edition.

It seems like we're getting a PC release for the DMC4:SE, and that would definitely be my pick, but if we don't, then the consoles version will be the best version, just like for DmC.

That's not on the hardware though, it's on the devs. Does inferior hardware having a frame advantage of 30 fps in certain scenes makes logical sense to you? Yeahh...

That only happens if the GPU is the limiting factor though. If it's the CPU, the Xbox would have the advantage(which we've seen). The PS4 has a more powerful GPU obviously, but it's not like the GPU is all that good.

And why I could not get balance changes as patch? or even small dlc

thelastword

Banned
Could you point out what you mean by this with screens?
The difference is not huge to me, but it's definitely noticeable, just look at the DF footage again. PC vs PS4 and concentrate on the the misty effects in the background and reflections, they're a bit better. Check out the shadows, these are slighty less apparent, but they were more solid, a bit sharper and less flickery. It may be too subtle to show you in screens, it's better if you just watch the footage.

In any case, these guys would not use so many paragraphs if there was no difference.

Gaming Bolt said:
DmC: Definitive Edition also provides a great tool for measuring the graphical potential of the PS4 and Xbox One. Along with a good number of enemies on screen, the action is fast and furious with a fairly large scale to its world. Both versions are similar to the PC version’s High settings but improve on the same in various ways. Character shadows are higher resolution, lighting effects are better and texture geometry has been improved. The post-process anti-aliasing does cause jaggies but it’s excellent otherwise, keeping shadows sharp throughout.

However, continuing the trend, DmC: Definitive Edition has better anisotropic filtering on the Xbox One than the PS4. Many recent third party releases in recent times have skipped implementing AF altogether on the PS4 so at least it’s here. QLOC further played up the game’s colourful art style with soft shadows, better particle effects and a smart utilization of screen space reflections. There isn’t much else new when it comes to animations or increased enemy count. One may wonder if DmC: Definitive Edition isn’t a bit late, perhaps by a year. Personally, I’ll take a strongly optimized remaster releasing two years after the initial version over a cross-generational debacle or a port that hardly takes any risks.

QLOC and Capcom pulled off a simple task which most developers have seemingly been struggling with this generation. DmC: Definitive Edition is a remaster that makes no bones about offering a significantly better visual experience than the previous generation, excelling over the PC version in many instances while also offering some new visual flourishes.

It's hard to point things out in this game in screens because the screens are so busy and colorful, the better textures they're talking about is true as well. I saw a little more definition in one of the bosses and slightly better detail in a falling chain near a statue etc...I don't think it's huge. As it stands, this game does not have the highest texture detail anyway, so maybe it's harder to see. It might be easier to spot in the xbone version due to it's AF and less aggressive AA.

I don't agree with GamingBolt that this is a great port though, Qloc messed up on this and Xenoverse, both of these titles should be 60fps locked at 1080p with all effects and AF intact.

Horesemama1956 said:
That only happens if the GPU is the limiting factor though. If it's the CPU, the Xbox would have the advantage(which we've seen). The PS4 has a more powerful GPU obviously, but it's not like the GPU is all that good.
It's not the CPU, it has never been the cpu. This game is not cpu limited, that has never been proven. This game will task the gpu long before it will ever task the CPU, there's no complicated Ai or physics going on here. In anycase, the xbox holds a slightly higher framerate because it tears to keep framerate up, not because of a cpu advantage, Ps4 holds vysnc much more. If the PS4 tore like the xbone version the framerate would be the same or higher on PS4. Average framerate is 55fps on ps4, 57fps on Xbone because of that.

Tagyhag

This is port has flaws in other parts as well, I mean, not locked 60? You could get the pc version to run at 120fps on a toaster back when it first came out.

At least it's not a quick cash in like some other remasters, they did more than just cosmetic changes.

Top Bottom