• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Tenbatsu

Error said:
I don't think they call for help. the monster probably starts screaming and a 'nearby' rathian hears and tries to go for the hunt, too.

if they do indeed work together against you, then the monsters suddenly got a major boost in intelligence!
They do call for help, its one of the skills for Kurupekko. They can call for either Rathian or cats for assist.

Seems like there are new rounds for bow guns. Lol at those Khezu whelps in the dark caves:lol

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Amir0x said:
man it sure is hard to stay angry at Monster Hunter 3 Tri, videos make me so hard. So few games actually offer Monster Hunter's unique blend of gameplay, and I skipped the PSP versions due to lack of built-in online and not enough new content. So this has been a looong time coming.

Yeah, and the online in G has NO FRIEND CODES WOOOO you can actually "Search" for "friends" and "add" them without "typing in long codes."

markatisu

sprsk said:
Yeah, and the online in G has NO FRIEND CODES WOOOO you can actually "Search" for "friends" and "add" them without "typing in long codes."

Oh sweet! I guess you are paying for the service though so its nice to remove that hurdle

Amir0x

Banned
sprsk said:

oh lordy this wait is finally starting to get hard

man i am more excited for Crystal Bearers than FFXIII and more excited for Monster Hunter Tri than 90% of other games. And Little King's Story, Pikmin 3 and Fragile are all on the horizon. And Mad World was fly. Wii is finally starting to get HAWT

sprsk said:
I don't see why they would regress?
because it's a Wii game lolz.
5mz9jn.jpg

Amir0x said:

man i am more excited for Crystal Bearers than FFXIII and more excited for Monster Hunter Tri than 90% of other games. And Little King's Story, Pikmin 3 and Fragile are all on the horizon. And Mad World was fly. Wii is finally starting to get HAWT

TTFW. This is how it SHOULD have been last year IMO.

Tenbatsu

sprsk said:
Need to ask, where do you buy hunter points? Wii Shop channel or in game?

Wait wat? no more bows, horns or dual swords? Oh god I can already see the G edition of 3 where they plug them back in.

Capcom manages to walk this impossible line where they are the best and the absolute worst game company at the same time.

sprsk

markatisu said:
Will you be able to do it if you do not know japanese?

Mmmm, if you have a Japanese wii, probably?

There might be out of country blocks like in MHF though. Can't confirm or deny that.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
MickeyKnox said:
Wait wat? no more bows, horns or dual swords? Oh god I can already see the G edition of 3 where they plug them back in.

Capcom manages to walk this impossible line where they are the best and the absolute worst game company at the same time.
it seems like you are always trying to find reasons to hate on this. First it was the waggle controls, now the weapons? Come on.

We still don't know how customizable the weapons are now. We still don't know how skills will work in this, and they mentioned they are adding stuff to things like hunting, collecting and shit. All the stuff I've heard about this game makes it seem like a true sequel to MH2. I fully trust Capcom in what they are doing with MH3.

If they decided to take out weapons to concentrate on these 7, and give more customization options... then I don't see anything wrong with it. The bowgun thing leads me to believe that you can customize other weapons in similar ways, we'll see.

Just picked up my copy of Monster Hunter for the Wii with controller. I'll post videos on gamersyde in a few hours and I may start streaming on justin.TV

img_0124.jpg

bigswords

markot said:
So... is this game like a loot-a-thon >.>? I dont get it.

Yes it's a loot-a-thon where u kill monsters, pull out their body parts to create more powerful weapons and amour which allows you to fight bigger and badder monsters.

I hope that when the MH3 comes to the states the online is free.

Error

blim blim's site right?

might as well post this here... dunno if it's old or what.
943356_114152_front.jpg

Eteric Rice

Amir0x said:

Wait, Fragile?

It's coming here?

Ok so im a complete monster hunter newb and i dont have a psp. So i did a little reasearch and it seems my options are playing Monster Hunter 1 as 2 wasnt published in the US. Is this correct? Cant wait to play 3 at the very least whenever we get it over here.

I think I need to just accept Monster Hunter isn't a game for me. I love lots of things about it, but to see the same awful camera setup in a console outing infuriates me on levels I myself don't even understand.

I'm going to give Unite a go with adhoc party and multiplayer only, but if that doesnt click (and quickly) then I dont see the series ever becoming enjoyable to me without alienating all you hardcore masochists :lol

sprsk

Tenbatsu said:
The most important question, can you buy Hunter Points using Wii points on a US console?

Yeah you know I don't know, but like, you can buy points on the jp store with an american CC.

I bet you can, tbh.

Tenbatsu

Some tibits from the HQ scans:
- 'Transform' is the keyword for Slash Axe
- New Action for lance when guarding
- There are now Light, Middle and Heavy bowguns
- One of the screen shows a night scene, day and night?
- Seems that you can attack with shield when using small sword (shown in Sp0rsk's video)
- Undisclosed moves for Long sword, Lance, Sword n Shield and Slash Axe.

carlnunz

so Tri will be my first mh, but i have aquestionb ased on how quest selection works. Do you just run around and find monsters to kill? or do you pick a quest and then from there they are loaded into the same world map. Basically are the monsters there all the time?

markatisu

SecretBonusPoint said:
I think I need to just accept Monster Hunter isn't a game for me. I love lots of things about it, but to see the same awful camera setup in a console outing infuriates me on levels I myself don't even understand.

I'm going to give Unite a go with adhoc party and multiplayer only, but if that doesnt click (and quickly) then I dont see the series ever becoming enjoyable to me without alienating all you hardcore masochists :lol

The camera is not really a problem after 1-2 playthroughs. IGN is just lazy as hell because anyone who spends time in the game can easily master the camera and I don't see that changing especially with the classic controller. Personally I think auto lock on would make the kills way too easy

Yeah you know I don't know, but like, you can buy points on the jp store with an american CC.

I bet you can, tbh.

That would be cool, but you get 14 days free with purchase right?

so Tri will be my first mh, but i have aquestionb ased on how quest selection works. Do you just run around and find monsters to kill? or do you pick a quest and then from there they are loaded into the same world map. Basically are the monsters there all the time?

You pick a quest and the monsters/items are placed in the world map.

Vinci

Danish
I played a bit of the PSP games at my friend's recently and I'm jazzed. I suck at them horribly, but I'm hoping to have enough time to figure this one out when it arrives.

I'm going to get massively owned by every monster, aren't I?

Error

Apparently the SnS shield move can KO? It's a blunt type of damage, so maybe just maybe...

Okay, I have never played Monster Hunter but am very interested, as I think I would really be interested in a game like this. However, from watching the videos, the controls DO look a little clunky. I am not writing the game off because of this obviously, but I'd like some experienced MH players to chime in on the controls...Is it a case of lazy developers not wanting to change the formula, is it sort of a Resident Evil "the controls add to the experience" or a mix of both? Thanks--really looking forward to this, just want some opinions from those who have played the game.

Eteric Rice

Mr. Snrub said:
Okay, I have never played Monster Hunter but am very interested, as I think I would really be interested in a game like this. However, from watching the videos, the controls DO look a little clunky. I am not writing the game off because of this obviously, but I'd like some experienced MH players to chime in on the controls...Is it a case of lazy developers not wanting to change the formula, is it sort of a Resident Evil "the controls add to the experience" or a mix of both? Thanks--really looking forward to this, just want some opinions from those who have played the game.

Supposedly, part of the experience is actually learning how to master the controls. At least, that's how I understand it.

Error

Yes the controls add to the experience.

If MH had lock on then the it'd be a completely different game. Suddenly you are guaranteed to hit your target every time, and it becomes a hack hack slash slash game.

Without lock-on there's a bunch of things you have to into account. 1) your position in relation to the monster 2) which body part of the monster you are going to hit 3) the reach of your weapon 4) the behavior of the monster 5) what attack to use. All of that adds to the feel of the combat in game. I find it more satisfying personally, since you aren't getting your hand held, each hit you connect feels rewarding. Keep in mind that the game has long recovery periods, some weapons specially leave you wide open if you miss... Having that in your mind makes you carefully select your attacks. Like I said with lock-on, you wouldn't take any of that into account, you'd just blindly hit your target because there's no risk.

That's not to say the game is for everyone. The learning curve is HUGE. Getting familiarized with the different weapons takes time and practice. Knowing when to attack a monster, requires familiarity with that monster's behavior or attack patterns. The game doesn't fuck around, and sometimes feels unfair etc.. etc.. But the game is really fun, you just gotta have in mind that the learning curve is very steep and that you are going to get your ass kicked sometimes.

Mr. Snrub said:
but I'd like some experienced MH players to chime in on the controls
Well all the MH3 videos I've seen so far aren't very good examples of someone comfortble with the controls. Sprks has by far the best played videos out there right now, but he didn't know about the Run button and did a lot of goofing around/testing.

The controls take a while to get used to. But once you learn them you realize just how much freedom they give you. I've been playing MH daily since January and now just about every 3D hack/slash feels limiting. I went from starting the game franticly yelling "no, ugh, stop, no, move, god!" when trying to kill the simpilest raptors, to being able to pinpointly break every section of the largest monsters while barley getting hit. And let me tell you, that feels SOOOO rewarding.

Now the Camera system is a different story. I would like Capcom to improve that because it could be better, but even then with enough practice it isn't too big a problem.

Defuser

Error said:

If MH had lock on then the it'd be a completely different game. Suddenly you are guaranteed to hit your target every time, and it becomes a hack hack slash slash game.

Without lock-on there's a bunch of things you have to into account. 1) your position in relation to the monster 2) which body part of the monster you are going to hit 3) the reach of your weapon 4) the behavior of the monster 5) what attack to use. All of that adds to the feel of the combat in game. I find it more satisfying personally, since you aren't getting your hand held, each hit you connect feels rewarding. Keep in mind that the game has long recovery periods, some weapons specially leave you wide open if you miss... Having that in your mind makes you carefully select your attacks. Like I said with lock-on, you wouldn't take any of that into account, you'd just blindly hit your target because there's no risk.
You forgot to mention that a lock on would remove the freedom of controlling the camera which render you to be unaware of the surroundings.

sammy

just got my MHG/TriDemo :D !

I gave the demo about an hours worth of play, and holy shit does it feel good to get some MH action in full widescreen progressive glory. The animations have always been top notch on the critters, but wow have they really outdone themselves especially when the little pack of 5+ Dromes are skittering about under the big guy and sliding all over the place.

I've noticed that characters maintain a lot of balance when hit now. You aren't always knocked into a damage roll and have to get back up. plenty of times the character is blown back but skids to a halt similar to a guard and gets right back in the fight. Gathering is also quick an easy (and abundant if this first environment is any indication) just a click of the button. Oh, and the classic controller feels reaaaaallly good. You manage swimming with the camera controls, and it's an almost religious experience not unlike diving in Mario64 for the first time ;p good god i can't wait to be diving with 3 hunters getting our asses handed to us by that huge crocodile beast!

rolling dodge side to side pivots the camera, that's a VERY welcome addition to say the least.

I can't say for sure, since I haven't seen them. But in the video it looks like the Rathian and big Crock beasties are in the demo, but i couldn't find them.... I did however stumble uppon what could only be described as a little baby Kezu, and that made me grin :D
The environments are stunning as usual with tons of little nooks'n'crannies and shortcuts to find.

sprsk said:

...why can't this be standard for most Wii games?

Error said:

That's not to say the game is for everyone. The learning curve is HUGE. Getting familiarized with the different weapons takes time and practice. Knowing when to attack a monster, requires familiarity with that monster's behavior or attack patterns. The game doesn't fuck around, and sometimes feels unfair etc.. etc.. But the game is really fun, you just gotta have in mind that the learning curve is very steep and that you are going to get your ass kicked sometimes.

Damn this seems like my type of game. :D I really do hate it when developers hold your hand with lock-on for many games.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Well all the MH3 videos I've seen so far aren't very good examples of someone comfortble with the controls. Sprks has by far the best played videos out there right now, but he didn't know about the Run button and did a lot of goofing around/testing.

The controls take a while to get used to. But once you learn them you realize just how much freedom they give you. I've been playing MH daily since January and now just about every 3D hack/slash feels limiting. I went from starting the game franticly yelling "no, ugh, stop, no, move, god!" when trying to kill the simpilest raptors, to being able to pinpointly break every section of the largest monsters while barley getting hit. And let me tell you, that feels SOOOO rewarding.

Now the Camera system is a different story. I would like Capcom to improve that because it could be better, but even then with enough practice it isn't too big a problem.

Even better. I hate it how so many games today don't let people use their brain for things.

Amir0x said:

headexplode.gif

Quick question here, I've primarily stuck it out with sword and shield when I played MH on the PSP. After watching these vids I'm going to abandon that and go Great Sword or katana. Anyone used katana as their main? What's is damage out put vs. GS?

Top Bottom