• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
nbcjr said:
It has been discussed in this thread.

There is a new FCC rules that allows confidentiality, and the FCC files are only released after the product is available to the consumers/unveiled.

Could've sworn that was actually something related to ESRB leaks and confidentiality on that end.

thaOwner

Truespeed said:
People seem to be forgetting that if a new PS3 was in the works and to be announced at E3, someone would have found the modified design Sony submitted to the FCC.

The FCC have changed their rules brah. Some patented shit don't get released until the device's release. Don't know whats happening here but something is happening.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
painful fart said:
Alright, is that what I should do if I wanted to sell my PS3?

Can I redownload Singstore stuff and shit on a new console afterward?
Yeah, that's what you should do and also delete the XMB account tied to your PSN account afterwards. Not sure about Singstore songs, but you'll be able to download everything else off the PSN Store after logging in on the new system and downloading something (automatic activation) or doing the same process on the new system (should be activate this system instead of deactivate). You can have up to 5 system activated to your account at any given moment and 1 PSP iirc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
user friendly said:
I wish it was that easy. I lost a lot of my videos/music/pictures, let alone ALL my game saves. Got all my PSN games back though but I had a problem with Wipeout HD. It was my fourth PS3 and I gameshared but a call to Sony solved the problem. I'm pretty sure they just deactivated my last one (I couldn't do it myself because it wouldn't turn on).

I've gone through trying to restore my back up data from an old system to a new one. It doesn't work, has to be the same system.

There is a documented glitch that works like this:

- say I have accounts 1,2,3,4.
- If I initiate backup using account 1, then when I restore to a second PS3 I get accounts 2,3,4 restored normally and not 1.
- If I initiate backup using account 3, then a restore works fine for account 1,2,4.
- so to get around it, create account tester or whatever name you want.
- use it to initiate backup.
- go to new ps3, create tester1 (must be different from all account names on original ps3). - Then use it to restore.
- Then delete it.

easy as pie. I have personally done it 3 times. 1 swapped ps3 from Sony, one sold and bought a new one, one was a friend's he swapped it for a Sony one.

You will have to re download all PSN games, game patches... But your videos, music and all saves and themes, settings, even account icons will be intact.

I did not have a KZ2 save then, but I had LBP. And I was able to continue getting trophies. The one game whose save did not backup was High Velocity Bowling.

Thrakier

AndyD said:

- If I initiate backup using account 1, then when I restore to a second PS3 I get accounts 2,3,4 restored normally and not 1.
- If I initiate backup using account 3, then a restore works fine for account 1,2,4.
- go to new ps3, create tester1 (must be different from all account names on original ps3). - Then use it to restore.
- Then delete it.

easy as pie. I have personally done it 3 times. 1 swapped ps3 from Sony, one sold and bought a new one, one was a friend's he swapped it for a Sony one.

You will have to re download all PSN games, game patches... But your videos, music and all saves and themes, settings, even account icons will be intact.

I did not have a KZ2 save then, but I had LBP. And I was able to continue getting trophies. The one game whose save did not backup was High Velocity Bowling.

I had a lot of problems with the backup function although I did it like you. Some savegames didn't work anymore, in some games the save worked but I couldn't get trophies anymore (LBP), all the meta information for videos and mp3s was lost...etc. etc. :( It was horrible.

Schrade

AndyD said:

- Then delete it.

Hmm you should add that information to the PS3 Hard Drive thread here. That's pretty useful to know.

DeadGzuz

Banned
AndyD said:

Yep, this happened to me. Lost all my save games, demos and patches. I kept my movies, mp3s and themes I think. What a dumb bug :(

androvsky

Wollan said:
I think it's very unlikely that they will announce this at E3.

First off, they have a good amount of current PS3's all over, they need to sell those first and I think they will sell better when they're the only option.
Second, they're likely launching the New PSP this summer, it needs some elbow room.
Third, production of the new one started last month, they probably want to stockpile a bit more.

What I personally think will happen:

New PSP announced at E3.
PS3 price drop announced at E3.
PS3 Slim announced in August.

Cat's kinda out of the bag for the slim, but that's probably what Sony was planning. How about this:

New PSP announced at e3 (okay, this one's a gimmie).
Price drop for current PS3s.
PS3 Slim announced at e3 for $399 (price drops in the fall).
Cross-game voice chat announced and possibly ready to go.

Truespeed

thaOwner said:
The FCC have changed their rules brah. Some patented shit don't get released until the device's release. Don't know whats happening here but something is happening.

Looks like $155 buys you confidentiality.

Confidentiality
The manufacturer may request Confidentiality of the information from the FCC. This usually involves an additional $155 filing fee. If Confidentiality is not requested, all documentation will appear on the FCC website at the time the certification is granted. With the optional fee, the manufacturer can typically eliminate all design documents from this posting process.

AndyD

aka andydumi
androvsky said:
Cat's kinda out of the bag for the slim, but that's probably what Sony was planning. How about this:

More than likely it will be:

- psp at E3 - keep focus on it.
- August announce and release slim at same price. 50-100 drop on fatty.
- By octoberish, drop slim to new price of 50-100 less. At same time release new PSP.
- Whole line revamped.

spwolf

androvsky said:

will they also fix the clock or what? :D

Brofist

androvsky said:

What would be the point of releasing a cheaper streamlined model at the same premium pricing as the model before. Just drop the price across the board. This E3 could be the real start of this gen for them if they play their cards right. Seems to me they'll just cause more customer confusion and misconception by continuing with the multiple pricing game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wollan said:
I know it's a bitch but I'm still surprised you let it come to this.
Personally I'm super-sensitive with account sharing (aka I never do this outside of folks which I can physically visit).

Well, 2 of those activations were lost of YLOD'ed systems. So it would have made no difference.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JoJo13 said:
you should be able to call them up and get those deactivated

Well, I'll try again.

Last time they asked me for some kind of reference code Sony gives when you send a system for repair. Told them I don't have it as I just purchased a new system and they shrugged. I did this both via phone with the italian CS and via email with the USA one (for my USA account). Same replies. No reference code, no deactivation. :/

In any case, point is: switching from PS3 to PSthree wont be as easy and painless as from PS2 to PStwo. There will be issues. Unless Sony realizes all they need do is link content to account rather than hardware. Allow us to use the old hard disc without reformatting. 360 does this. I dont see why PS3 couldn't.

max-pain

spwolf said:
price drop wont be that soon guys... maybe month or few weeks before slim is introduced.

What if the slim come sooner than september? It looks like they are already manufacturing this. I'm not ruling out an early august launch.

Rolf NB

nofi said:
Thread gone quiet you say?

Edit: arse, site is banned on here. *slap*

What are the GAF rules on tinyurl?
As far as I recall, tinyurl to bypass a site ban isn't a welcome practice.
Among other possible reasons, a site's banned because NeoGAF doesn't want to provide hits, which they would still get just the same with tinyurl linkage.

Thrakier

TTP said:
Allow us to use the old hard disc without reformatting. 360 does this. I dont see why PS3 couldn't.

This and NOTHING else. It's unbelievable stupid to bind stuff to the hardware. It's a pain!

Thrakier said:
This and NOTHING else. It's unbelievable stupid to bind stuff to the hardware. It's a pain!

It is not stupid, it is a trade off.

Because of this on the PS3 you can have DLC attached to 5 HDD/PS3s at the same time.

With the 360 you can only have your account attached to 1 HDD at a time.

teiresias

TTP said:
Last time they asked me for some kind of reference code Sony gives when you send a system for repair. Told them I don't have it as I just purchased a new system and they shrugged. I did this both via phone with the italian CS and via email with the USA one (for my USA account). Same replies. No reference code, no deactivation. :/

I can verify this, as the guy I talked to had to go into my account info and verify that I had had a system replacement - though he didn't ask my for the SR Number of the transaction. He also couldn't do it himself, he said he had to send a request to some office in another city to get it done.

It's a stupidly ridiculous system.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TTP said:
Allow us to use the old hard disc without reformatting. 360 does this. I dont see why PS3 couldn't.

it's anti-piracy system , when I asked the manager at Sony dealer store about if I can do that , he told me without that pirates will fill cheap SATA HDDs with PSN games and sell/share them .

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think this is what nofi is referring to.

***** recieved this letter over the weekend, referring to their report on the photos:

http://news.*****.com/article/17968/PS3_Slim_Confirmed_Lawyers_Demand_*****_Removes_Pix

"Dear Sirs,
As appointed by our client, we hereby inform you that the web pages on your website (as attached hereto) contain some of our client's confidential documents and photos, which were highly possibly illegally released and posted.

We are investigating this violation and will bring all necessary legal actions regarding this matter. In order to protect the confidential information and prevent you from further legal issues and infringements, please immediately remove those pages and keep our request confidential. Thank you for your cooperation.

Your cooperation is deeply appreciated.

Very truly yours

James Lan
For the firm
Attorney-at-law
Li Mo & Associates"

The lawyers are in Taiwan but the client goes unnamed.

That seems to be the best confirmation that sites have been asked to cease and desist from posting these photos.. it was mentioned that the original chinese site got a cease and desist, but I saw no proof of that.

edit - picture:

jztldi.jpg

Good on them (the site) for posting about this..I wonder if any other sites have received this? Have any other sites' reports on this mysteriously disappeared?

DMeisterJ

Banned
gofreak said:

***** recieved this letter over the weekend, referring to their report on the photos:

http://news.*****.com/article/17968/PS3_Slim_Confirmed_Lawyers_Demand_*****_Removes_Pix

"Dear Sirs,
As appointed by our client, we hereby inform you that the web pages on your website (as attached hereto) contain some of our client's confidential documents and photos, which were highly possibly illegally released and posted.

We are investigating this violation and will bring all necessary legal actions regarding this matter. In order to protect the confidential information and prevent you from further legal issues and infringements, please immediately remove those pages and keep our request confidential. Thank you for your cooperation.

Very truly yours

James Lan
For the firm
Attorney-at-law
Li Mo & Associates"

Yeah, I was about to post that.

Seems like a lot of cease and whatever the other word is letters going out for such a 'fake'. More and more, it's either a very elaborate hoax, which is dumb, because what's the point of all this work, or we really stumbled onto something of value here. I'd be very surprised if this isn't true. There is too much evidence.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I doubt they could be the only ones who got this over the weekend.. I'm sure some other sites might report similar letters throughout the day.

Assuming this is the manufacturer issuing these, they're not doing their client (Sony) any favours. Letters like this only further corroborate the truth of the photos.

I'm just going to blow everybody's mind right now.

What if ... this chassis is actually for the redesigned PSP, now called the PS3(tm), as opposed to the home console, the PLAYSTATION 3(tm)? This PS3(tm) has no screen, no UMD drive and no buttons, but in all other ways perfectly updates the PSP legacy - an expensive black object which people like to pirate. It cuts out all the gaming and software and just gets down to business - firmware hacking IS the game library.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
I doubt they could be the only ones who got this over the weekend.. I'm sure some other sites might report similar letters throughout the day.

Assuming this is the manufacturer issuing these, they're not doing their client (Sony) any favours. Letters like this only further corroborate the truth of the photos.

If anything, Sony might be forced to drop price and announce PS3 slim sooner than initially planned. :D

I wonder how many people will hold on buying a PS3 now that they know a slim is in the making.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TTP said:
If anything, Sony might be forced to drop price and announce PS3 slim sooner than initially planned. :D

I wonder how many people will hold on buying a PS3 now that they know a slim is in the making.

a lot of my friends just want $299-350 PS3 , and I know few who always insecure and afraid of new redesign/chipset since there might be some problems and the new hardware quality is unknown .

Sony should do that , their strategy of selling PS3 at it's price is not working anymore, the thing is not selling at all , Sony is making games too not just hardwares so at least drop the price on the system for your games to sell .

1-D_FTW

TTP said:

I think it's overstated. Are the hardcore really planning to buy systems in the middle of the summer without a price decrease? If they really wanted one, they would probably have bough one already.

June-ish sales, I bet, are mostly birthday presents bought by parents. They're gonna be totally in the dark about this. And even if they weren't, wouldn't care.

jax (old)

Banned
gofreak said:

"Dear Sirs,

Very truly yours

James Lan
For the firm
Attorney-at-law
Li Mo & Associates"

That seems to be the best confirmation that sites have been asked to cease and desist from posting these photos.. it was mentioned that the original chinese site got a cease and desist, but I saw no proof of that.

edit - picture:

jztldi.jpg

Good on them (the site) for posting about this..I wonder if any other sites have received this? Have any other sites' reports on this mysteriously disappeared?

YESS!!! I guess my 2-3 posts here saying its real is very ON THE MONAY.

/rock

-Winnie-

The way I see it happening is a price drop announced at E3 to clear out all old PS3 stock, and then a PS3 Slim reveal during TGS just in time for Christmas.

A new PSP and PS3 would be too much for one E3, I reckon.

Vaandaviii said:
"please immediately remove those pages and keep our request confidential"

Legal issues incoming :lol
Yep, NeoGaf have a cease and desist coming :lol

"Stop posting rumors and speculations" Yeah thats gonna happen.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I hope it's true. Sony needs it.

Then I can laugh at Klepek and David Ellis who were hating on those in the thread who believe it. I can't believe they were so adamant it's a shop. It could be, but I would have sat on the fence. They sounded pretty drunk though.

spwolf

max-pain said:
What if the slim come sooner than september? It looks like they are already manufacturing this. I'm not ruling out an early august launch.

i doubt it... you guys need to look at what sony expects from sales to know when will it be coming out. PS3 Q3, PSP very late in the year. If new PSP is introduced at E3 it means that either both will be sold concurrently (with PSP 3000 getting price cut) or that new PSP will start at higher price point than now.

and "old" ps3's are still produced at higher price, if they produce them for $440 for instance, they will want to wait at the latest moment to drop the price so they can lose less money. If Sony was willing to lose more money on PS3, they would have cut the price months ago to stimulate the demand.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Vaandaviii said:
"please immediately remove those pages and keep our request confidential"

Legal issues incoming :lol

If the images are 'illegal' then the request to remove them may be one thing (although I have my doubts simply republishing them is illegal. The taking of them may have been in breach of contract, but third parties publishing them surely have no responsibility if their actual content is not obscene or illegal in that sense).

I'm no lawyer, but a request for confidentiality is something that can be denied..a recipient isn't bound to keep letter contents confidential. They didn't sign anything about keeping this letter confidential. The lawyers obviously don't want it to be known publically that this request was made (for obvious reasons), and so they threw that bit in, hoping the recipient would cower to their will..but they should know they were chancing their arm with that one, and that there was every possibility the recipient would publish the letter.

DieH@rd

Banned
I saw few days ago i saw post with all the SCEE bundles boxes [a lot of them, 15+].

Can someone dig that post up for me? Somewhere on GAF :D Thanks.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
DieH@rd said:
I saw few days ago i saw post with all the SCEE bundles boxes [a lot of them, 15+].

Can someone dig that post up for me? Somewhere on GAF :D Thanks.

hell what are you ? the ultimate Super Lazy ? that post only two pages ago ( p 33 if you uses 50 posts per page option )

anyway

Goldrusher said:
It's SCEA that needs to start bundling.

SCEE's Q4, Q1 and Q2 bundles; excluding movie bundles:

m9ue00.jpg
bg4myv.png
16c88sp.png

2n08nzb.png
1z720c4.jpg
eqeers.png

2exx8js.png
2moxmvn.jpg
21mhohz.jpg

mkg9s.png
2ajulae.png
eg4qya.png

280nq6o.png
2bxw7a.png
x51g87.png

2lxjbdi.png
1zpifma.png

SCEA's Q4, Q1 and Q2 bundles:

szxzxu.jpg

Holtz

-Winnie- said:
The way I see it happening is a price drop announced at E3 to clear out all old PS3 stock, and then a PS3 Slim reveal during TGS just in time for Christmas.

A new PSP and PS3 would be too much for one E3, I reckon.
Agreed. This makes the most sense for me too.

slider

I think when a GAF thread has run it's course MS/Nintendo/Sony should make whatever strategic move it is we've been flapping about. It's common sense big corporations.

Obviously this doesn't work for software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom