• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

^^^

It will pick up again once more info leaks.

Why do you seem to have a hard-on for this thread (and the slim) dying?

Onix said:
^^^

It will pick up again once more info leaks.

Why do you seem to have a hard-on for this thread (and the slim) dying?

goodps3news.gif

Raistlin

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Seems to me he has a hard-on for this thread dying UNLESS it has PS2 backwards compatibility.

It's so silly though.

Sure, I'd love for BC to come back ... but if it isn't, with or without a slim being created, where does this lead?

By his logic, not only should the slim not be produced (regardless of its other benefits, both to the consumer and to Sony) ... but all the current PS3's should stop being made?

lulz.

androvsky

Machado said:
thread finally slowed down at 34 pages...

RIP
Great, now we'll get a page of posts laughing at you for viewing at 50 posts per page.
page 34 for me too

So we're assuming the slim will launch at $399 with a price drop for the phats, or the slim launches at $299 and the phats collect dust? If Sony's build cost for the slim is around 28000 yen, they're going to make a nice chunk of change if the slim launches at $399 for a few months. Speaking of which, is there a consensus on when the slim will launch? :)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Well, we might keep this thread going by discussing how painful it would be for a current PS3 user to switch to the PSthree.

Consider this:

- System Activations. I'm currently on the last activation. I've lost the other four via sharing (unrecoverable) and a YLOD'ed system. I could simply deactivate the old PS3 and activate the new one, but I'd love to keep both active. Not a possibility. Sadly, Sony CS doesn't deactivate remotely unless you went the official channel with a YLOD'ed system repair (which I didn't - just got a new one myself).

- Non copyable saves. Bye bye KZ2, RE4, DS and others.

- No trophies for games that don't allow to get them once you have moved the save file on a different system (Little Big Planet and others)

- DLC issues. Some games DLC are linked to the hardware. SingStar songs can't be redownloaded on a new system. And you only get ur money back if the reason for getting the new system is the old one broke.

So, unless Sony allows us to deactivate systems ourselves, force game devs to remove copy protection or more simply just let us plug the old HDD in the new one without having to format it, I don't see myself buying a PSthree anytime soon.

TTP said:

- No trophies for games that don't allow to get them once you have moved the save file on a different system (Little Big Planet and others)

- DLC issues. Some games DLC are linked to the hardware. SingStar songs can't be redownloaded on a new system. And you only get ur money back if the reason for getting the new system is the old one broke.

Using the backup utility should solve all these issues. I'm not 100% on the DLC, but if you use the backup utility and then restore to a new PS3 it will copy over even copy-protected game saves.

teiresias

TTP said:
Well, we might keep this thread going by discussing how painful it would be for a current PS3 user to switch to the PSthree.

Consider this:

- System Activations. I'm currently on the last activation. I've lost the other four via sharing (unrecoverable) and a YLOD'ed system. I could simply deactivate the old PS3 and activate the new one, but I'd love to keep both active. Not a possibility. Sadly, Sony CS doesn't deactivate remotely unless you went the official channel with a YLOD'ed system repair (which I didn't - just got a new one myself).

So, unless Sony allows us to deactivate systems ourselves, force game devs to remove copy protection or more simply just let us plug the old HDD in the new one without having to format it, I don't see myself buying a PSthree anytime soon.

Yeah all of this makes it a pain in the butt. I can't believe they haven't worked this out yet.

Wollan

I've lost the other four via sharing (unrecoverable)
I know it's a bitch but I'm still surprised you let it come to this.
Personally I'm super-sensitive with account sharing (aka I never do this outside of folks which I can physically visit).

JoJo13

Banned
TTP said:

Consider this:

Game saves should be sync'd to the server like trophies, IMO.

teiresias

Yeah, I have little sympathy for someone who shared out all of their activations.

The system is ridiculous though, because if you were to buy a second PS3 if you want to buy video content with that system you have to create a new account since you only get one activation for video downloads. I'm still waiting for Sony to deactivate my old console that died on me so I can buy video on my new one. Hell, I don't even buy video, but you can't even download free trailers (movie trailers anyway listed in the video section of the store) without the activation.

I mean, Apple has all the same concerns with copyrite and they still let you have the option of just clearing all of your activations at once if you need to. It's ridiculous we can't do that with our PS3s.

Ephemeris

Wollan said:
I know it's a bitch but I'm still surprised you let it come to this.
Personally I'm super-sensitive with account sharing (aka I never do this outside of folks which I can physically visit).
Likewise.

Machado

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
Seems to me he has a hard-on for this thread dying UNLESS it has PS2 backwards compatibility.

ok...if this is priced at $299 I'll stop bitching about BC...I've wanted to buy a ps3 with BC to the point I vilified the thing to no avail but now I just want it to be 299 yuu ess dollars to buy a ps2 and a ps3

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
teiresias said:
Yeah all of this makes it a pain in the butt. I can't believe they haven't worked this out yet.

Between backups and mutliple system activations on DLC it mostly shouldn't usually be a problem. People make it a lot harder on themselves by aggressive sharing which doesn't leave them with options. I can understand people wanting to make purchases cheaper, but it's easy to forget or dismiss the possibility of machine failure.

Dragnet

TTP said:

Consider this:

Uh..they de-activated mine when I rang up. Also, I got a new PS3, copied the save for my LBP and can still get trophies. Wut?

But yeah, these other problems are major hurdles that Sony needs to figure out before they launch this thing, or it will be clusterfuck of the century.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So is the word on GAF now that Sony will be revealing this at E3 or are we not expecting to see a reveal until another game show in the Fall?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
TTP said:

Consider this:

with the backup option I don't see any problem .

ttp said:

well , they patched Motorstorm PR and you can now copy you own save no ? so it's up to developers to do it .

actually they should let the all gamesaves copyable and sharable like what was before the stupid trophies era .

Wollan

I think it's very unlikely that they will announce this at E3.

First off, they have a good amount of current PS3's all over, they need to sell those first and I think they will sell better when they're the only option.
Second, they're likely launching the New PSP this summer, it needs some elbow room.
Third, production of the new one started last month, they probably want to stockpile a bit more.

What I personally think will happen:

New PSP announced at E3.
PS3 price drop announced at E3.
PS3 Slim announced in August.

Barakov

Adam Prime said:
So is the word on GAF now that Sony will be revealing this at E3 or are we not expecting to see a reveal until another game show in the Fall?

It's still pretty much up in the air at this point. I'm pretty sure if anybody has asked Sony about this they've been given the usual spiel.

iceatcs

Wollan said:

First off, they have a good amount of current PS3's all over, they need to sell those first and I think they will sell better when they're the only option.
Second, they're likely launching the New PSP this summer, it needs some elbow room.
Third, production of the new one started last month, they probably want to stockpile a bit more.

New PSP announced at E3.

Me too, I don't think they will announce that soon. Price cut will come first if they need to remove all the stock before new SKU introduction.

Tobor

Wollan said:

New PSP announced at E3.

This seems to be the most likely scenario.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TTP said:

Consider this:

You can have them reset the 5 activations. I personally know two people that called in and got them reset. Explain calmly one PS3 died and thus it takes up a slot.

As to saves and DLC and things, a backup/restore works with everything. Except for KZ2, I can't believe they have not patched that yet, Motorstorm 2 did already. And you can earn LBP trophies once a save moves via backup/restore. I have.

AndyD

aka andydumi
androvsky said:
You're sure the backup option allows you to restore to a different console? I have my doubts.

Yes. If a console breaks, you backup and restore to the new one they send you. That's the point. You have to redownload PSN games, but otherwise it works.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TTP said:

Consider this:

Yeah, pretty much this. And no, backup utility won't help you with any of this. You can only fully backup and restore to the same console (when you update the HDD). Not to a different console. LBP thing is really the biggest problem. Just unacceptable.

Yazuka

I know this probably isn't the best thread to ask. But since the subject is up I might as well ask. How do you do a deactivation of the stuff you've downloaded?
If I know should get a PS3 slim or just a new machine later.

androvsky

AndyD said:
Yes. If a console breaks, you backup and restore to the new one they send you. That's the point. You have to redownload PSN games, but otherwise it works.

I thought it was mainly for upgrading hard disks.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/2_60/settings/backuputility.html

ps3 manual said:
# Some types of backed up data can be restored on another PS3™ system. The types of data that can be restored on another system are as follows:
# - Saved data from PLAYSTATION®3 format software *1
# - Image files under (Photo)
# - Music files under (Music) *2
# - Video files under (Video) *2
# - Bookmarks added under (Internet Browser)
# - Terms that were added using (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Add/Edit Term], or predictive terms that were "learned" by the on-screen keyboard
*1 Copy-protected data cannot be restored. Also, saved data that has been restored may not be usable in some games.
*2 Does not include copyright-protected data.

The manual is for firmware 2.6, but I can't find anything that says *1 or *2 was changed for 2.7.

lupinko

Singstar songs can be redownloaded to a new console, you just have to call Sony about that.

But other than that, Singstar is 1 activation only.

AndyD said:
I wish it was that easy. I lost a lot of my videos/music/pictures, let alone ALL my game saves. Got all my PSN games back though but I had a problem with Wipeout HD. It was my fourth PS3 and I gameshared but a call to Sony solved the problem. I'm pretty sure they just deactivated my last one (I couldn't do it myself because it wouldn't turn on).

I've gone through trying to restore my back up data from an old system to a new one. It doesn't work, has to be the same system.

Truespeed

People seem to be forgetting that if a new PS3 was in the works and to be announced at E3, someone would have found the modified design Sony submitted to the FCC.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Yazuka said:
I know this probably isn't the best thread to ask. But since the subject is up I might as well ask. How do you do a deactivation of the stuff you've downloaded?
If I know should get a PS3 slim or just a new machine later.
Its under account management. It should be something like:

PSN -> Account Management -> System Activation -> Activate/Deactivate this PS3 system

Truespeed said:
People seem to be forgetting that if a new PS3 was in the works and to be announced at E3, someone would have found the modified design Sony submitted to the FCC.

If the rumored release date is September and it turns out to be true, they aren't going to announce it at E3, 3 months before it happens. They'll only confirm it a few days or a couple weeks at most before the release date.

I don't know when the records should be available at FCC for everyone to see, but there's plenty of circumstantial proof to know that there is something in the works and that it will be out this year.

Wollan said:

New PSP announced at E3.

I'm hoping for summer rather than late fall on the new PSP. As for your senario, it makes sense

Killthee said:
Its under account management. It should be something like:

PSN -> Account Management -> System Activation -> Activate/Deactivate this PS3 system
Alright, is that what I should do if I wanted to sell my PS3?

Can I redownload Singstore stuff and shit on a new console afterward?

nbcjr

Truespeed said:

It has been discussed in this thread.

There is a new FCC rules that allows confidentiality, and the FCC files are only released after the product is available to the consumers/unveiled.

Truespeed

nbcjr said:
It has been discussed in this thread.

There is a new FCC rules that allows confidentiality, and the FCC files are only released after the product is available to the consumers/unveiled.

Where's the link to these new rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom