• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PS3 ...good fake or...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ether_Snake said:
HDD under the disc drive?
Not very likely, probably just a hole for the ventilation, given teh current design where the CPU and GPU is located in that area to get efficient cooling when the unit is located vertical.

You can see from the picture that there is some external piece that will cover that area anyhow.

hirokazu

Machado said:
we still haven't seen the left side, maybe it's there, maybe it's under the BD
We've seen the left side of the bottom plate, and there's hole for HDD there. We haven't see the left side of the top plate.

painful fart said:
Not very likely, probably just a hole for the ventilation, given teh current design where the CPU and GPU is located in that area to get efficient cooling when the unit is located vertical.

You can see from the picture that there is some external piece that will cover that area anyhow.
That's what I thought at first, but that huge hole isn't consistent with ventilation. No reason to cut a big hole when they can just cut a bunch of small holes for ventilation.

That hole looks about right for a HDD though, the only reasoning against that idea is that it's perhaps not wise to put the HDD adjacent to the BD drive.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Does it really matter what Sony does at this point? Even if they are able to lower costs and get the console down to around 299, MS will simply bundle the hell out of Elite/Pro models at some ridiculous price point and gladly take a loss.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
140.85 said:
Does it really matter what Sony does at this point? Even if they are able to lower costs and get the console down to around 299, MS will simply bundle the hell out of Elite/Pro models at some ridiculous price point and gladly take a loss.

I think it's more about Sony trying to make some money than making more money than MS:p

140.85 said:

That's right. Doing nothing seems like a superior idea.

inner-G

Banned
140.85 said:
They STILL lose money to this day on PS3 hardware.

Making a cheaper to produce version would get them in the black on hardware. Even if they don't sell any more units than they would normally, they're better off.

Afrikan

Dizzan said:
Not likely. My guess is two.

it seems like it...but I wish they would add a 1 USB port to the back of the system.....the system would look so much better when a PSeye is not dangling from the front.

hirokazu said:
We've seen the left side of the bottom plate, and there's hole for HDD there. We haven't see the left side of the top plate.

That's what I thought at first, but that huge hole isn't consistent with ventilation. No reason to cut a big hole when they can just cut a bunch of small holes for ventilation.

That hole looks about right for a HDD though, the only reasoning against that idea is that it's perhaps not wise to put the HDD adjacent to the BD drive.
There will probably be cover piece with a mesh, a big hole is better than small holes because it´s less resistance for the air flow.

Truespeed

MassiveAttack said:
rollerken.jpg

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemies eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the King!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field

For some reason I can not explain
Once you know there was never, never an honest word
That was when I ruled the world
(Ohhh)

It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People could not believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be King?

Raistlin

cakefoo said:
So you don't confuse everyone with that diagram, I drew the rest of the PS3 shell:
2e5lhex.jpg

I fail

It still doesn't seem logical that the HDD and BD would be stacked though, unless the current BD drive is much smaller than I realize.

Raistlin

Fafalada said:
Why would a hypothetical redesign have to use the current BD drive inside it though?

It wouldn't. But if this is coming out this year, I wouldn't imagine a huge change? Even if it is small, it just seems weird to me.

On a relatively 'flat' system design, why would you go and stack the two tallest components vertically?

androvsky

Onix said:
It wouldn't. But if this is coming out this year, I wouldn't imagine a huge change? Even if it is small, it just seems weird to me.

On a relatively 'flat' system design, why would you go and stack the two tallest components vertically?

Because you need the vertical room on the other half for a big heatsink so you don't need much of a fan?

androvsky

Onix said:
^^^could be.

I'm just concerned whether their will be long term consequences. Hopefully not.

Why would there be? 2.5" hard drives really don't put out a lot of heat, and it's certainly a lot better than putting motherboard or power supply under the BD drive.

Raistlin

androvsky said:
Why would there be? 2.5" hard drives really don't put out a lot of heat, and it's certainly a lot better than putting motherboard or power supply under the BD drive.

2.5" HDD's still put out a fair amount of heat, but I'm more concerned about vibrations. These will be a lot closer together than is standard for PC architectures.

Granted, Sony has really good designers, so I'm probably worrying about nothing. But in truth, it's not like they've been perfect in their previous console releases. One has to worry about the mid-to-long-term issues this could yield.

For me though, it won't be an issue. The 2 or so I buy will have the HDD's replaced with SDD's to reduce noise and maintenance anyway :lol

Onix said:
2.5" HDD's still put out a fair amount of heat, but I'm more concerned about vibrations. These will be a lot closer together than is standard for PC architectures.

Granted, Sony has really good designers, so I'm probably worrying about nothing. But in truth, it's not like they've been perfect in their previous console releases. One has to worry about the mid-to-long-term issues this could yield.

For me though, it won't be an issue. The 2 or so I buy will have the HDD's replaced with SDD's to reduce noise and maintenance anyway :lol

They will likely be using laptop BD drives, which aren't much bigger than a CD case.

6378-pana.jpg

There will be a decent gap between them. and the drives are made to work with movement.

Also, in regular computers hard drives and DVD drives are usually mounted to the same piece of metal, any vibration would be carried through it. Most isolate the hard drive with rubber bushings, even those that don't rarely run into problems. Heat will never be an issue, as there will likely be a channel of fast moving air between the two.

Quasar

Dizzan said:
Thank you. Someone with a brain. Who cares what it looks like. it could be hot pink with pictures of miley cyrus on it and I'd still buy it. I don't put my consoles on display like art. Their purpose is to play games not look good.

The only aesthetic changes I agree with are making it smaller so it is easier to conceal.

I have to admit I'd like one that looked like a piece of hifi gear, looking pretty much identical to a regular Sony BluRay player.

thuway

I really really REALLY fucking hope Sony bundles Little Big Planet, Uncharted 1, and Motorstorm 1 in a bundle for this.

Those games aren't going to sell in huge numbers anytime soon and most retailers will stop carrying two of the three very soon. Distributing those IPs can ensure success in the long term.

If they won't do any of that- include a goddamn USB mic that may cost you $1.20 at most.

HUELEN10

thuway said:
I really really REALLY fucking hope Sony bundles Little Big Planet, Uncharted 1, and Motorstorm 1 in a bundle for this.

Those games aren't going to sell in huge numbers anytime soon and most retailers will stop carrying two of the three very soon. Distributing those IPs can ensure success in the long term.

If they won't do any of that- include a goddamn USB mic that may cost you $1.20 at most.
Fuck the Mic, what we need is a USB port on the back.

thuway

HUELEN10 said:
Fuck the Mic, what we need is a USB port on the back.
But a mic could ensure a level of average voice quality across the board while also ensuring no more "quiet" sessions. If the firmware update is magic, the mic is there, and the (LBP / Uncharted love) is shown. Sony could be in a position to gain some ground in the console war.

androvsky

thuway said:

You want to include a wired microphone that plugs directly into a console that comes standard with wireless controllers?

thuway

androvsky said:
You want to include a wired microphone that plugs directly into a console that comes standard with wireless controllers?

The mic could easily plug into the USB slots into the controllers.

androvsky

Hmm, let's say for a moment that the PS3, on average, sells for around 38000 yen worldwide, production cost would be around 40000 yen. Let's assume the production cost of the slim can be cut by, say, 12000 yen (that sounds like a good number!). Personally, I think that with those numbers, they'll sell it for $299, but if Sony's mad enough at the current market situation, I think they can sell the slim at their current per-unit loss for $249. They'd never clear out the inventory of current models, but it's not totally out of the question. And it would be worth it for the brick-shitting. :)

The mic could easily plug into the USB slots into the controllers.

No, it can't. The controllers, last I checked, don't have USB host hardware. The mic would have to have it's own bluetooth connection to the PS3 like the chatpad, and suddenly it's a bluetooth headset, not a USB one.

This is something I failed to notice in my couple of reports on Sony's earnings report yesterday. ITmedia, covering Sony's Tokyo earnings briefing from yesterday, has a quote from CFO Nobuyuki Oneda stating that the PS3's cost to Sony is still about 10% higher than the system's price. This is current as of the end of March.

The PS3 is priced differently in each territory, but in Japan, 10% would mean about a 4,000 yen hit (this is assuming Oneda is referring to the retail cost, which may not be the case). Sony has, of late, been selling between 20,000 and 30,000 systems per week here.

As reported here yesterday (based off a Nikkei article), Oneda also said at the earnings conference that Sony has further cost savings in store for the system. He declined to comment on the possibility of a price drop.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/05/15/sony_ps3_profitability/

DieH@rd

Banned
Onix said:
It still doesn't seem logical that the HDD and BD would be stacked though, unless the current BD drive is much smaller than I realize.

I love quoting myself :)
DieH@rd said:
Original PS3 blu ray drive - http://techrepublic.com.com/2346-10877_11-41891-45.html
41937-500-375.jpg

Internal Lap top blu ray drive [also with same "suck-in" disk mechanism]
Sony Optiarc BC-5600S-01 2X Blu-Ray SATA Slim Combo Drive - Bulk (Black)
s5k943.jpg
^ This little one is 250$ on Amazon.

IMO, i think that there will be no problem if they stack HDD and BD drive, expecially if there is some space around them for airflow.

DrXym

Onix said:

Sony announced over a year ago much slimmer reader heads, and of course there are several slim BD drives for portables including a slot loader. This proves there is no technical issue in creating a slimmer sized drive if they wanted.

I've taken out the drive in the old PS3 so I know the thing is enormous. Just shrinking it would free up a huge amount of space. They should be able to halve the height of the thing and take a bunch from the sides which would free a lot of space.

I dont know the best place for the HDD. It really depends on the mainboard and whether the BD sits over the board (like it does now), or to the side. It may be that the BD sits above and slightly to the side of the board creating a space for the HDD to sit in. I don't know. Somebody could probably figure it out from looking at the mainboard layout.

androvsky

Keep in mind my numbers are not only completely pulled from thin air, but also are what Sony charges retailers, not consumers; I'm not sure what the CFO is referencing, or if his percentage assumes a yen-to-dollar conversion to really shake things up. :)

DrXym

DieH@rd said:
Here is quick and dirty pic that shows that there is a lot of space between HDD and BD drive.

10h500j.jpg

The "not BD slot" is also probably an air vent and would be covered by a plastic strip with the USB labels and which may or may not also put a grill effect over the vent. The two holes in the centre are probably where the strip clips on. There may also be a grill effect on the right which may be why there is a long thin strip under the more HDD shaped rectangle on that side too.

It would be nice if the slim took the opportunity to put a USB port at the back as well. Some peripherals look really ugly sticking out the front.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DrXym said:
The "not BD slot" is also probably an air vent and would be covered by a plastic strip with the USB labels and which may or may not also put a grill effect over the vent.

Hmm. I'm thinking it could be like the thin strip of vents on the bottom side of the current PS3. Just a thin line of vents along the bottom.

The other bigger gap could indeed be for ventilation, with a front grill to be placed over it. However the shape of the hole seems strange if that's the case..why the thin strip sticking out at the left? Having vents there would match the current console though..

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ether_Snake said:
HDD under the disc drive?

Sin said:
1. God of War III realtime trailer was in circulation internally before the CG teaser was shown.

2. Solid State Drives were being researched, and still are, as an alternative storage medium for PS3 at Samsung.

if it's SSD instead of SATA I don't think there will be heat or space problems if they put it under the blu-ray drive .

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Totobeni said:
if it's SSD instead of SATA I don't think there will be heat or space problems if they put it under the blu-ray drive .

120GB SSDs are ridiculously expensive :lol

It'll be a 2.5" SATA. I don't see the big deal in placing it under the bd drive vs anywhere else if it's all thought out properly. We're guessing though..we can't see the other side of the machine where it slots in on the current machine.

DrXym

gofreak said:
Hmm. I'm thinking it could be like the thin strip of vents on the bottom side of the current PS3. Just a thin line of vents along the bottom.

The other bigger gap could indeed be for ventilation, with a front grill to be placed over it. However the shape of the hole seems strange if that's the case..why the thin strip sticking out at the left? Having vents there would match the current console though..

Yeah I guess they could do several things with the vents:

1. Leave them as visible slots but I doubt it would look good. The right hand panel (where the HDD presumably goes) appears to have a little bit of a vent hole on its left side, probably a continuation of the slot on the left hand panel.
2. Leave them as slots but cover them from the front so the air actually blows down and out from an angle.
3. Grill effect like PS3. Little square holes running the length of the vents.

Both sides are obviously going to be covered so I expect the effect will look fine when its done.

a1m

Banned
DrXym said:
The "not BD slot" is also probably an air vent and would be covered by a plastic strip with the USB labels and which may or may not also put a grill effect over the vent. The two holes in the centre are probably where the strip clips on. There may also be a grill effect on the right which may be why there is a long thin strip under the more HDD shaped rectangle on that side too.

It would be nice if the slim took the opportunity to put a USB port at the back as well. Some peripherals look really ugly sticking out the front.

..Or maybe it's the bottom "stand"?

sadada.jpg

Machado

hirokazu said:
I know it's a matter of personal opinion, but HOW CAN YOU HATE THE SHINY?!

thre's a lot of dust in my city, firgerprints are a mess and when i had a pa2 that shit never got a scratch...that thing is durable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom