• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 - New preview details

One thing that was weird to me in Witcher games is that some people had british accents (Roche, Iorveth, most NPC's) while others had no discernable accent, most notably Geralt.

Was this ever explained?

The books are translated (if its a good translation) in a way to give geralt and his troupe a more near feeling to the reader, while the rest of world speaks with accents or differents way of talking.
For example, in the spanish translation (of the books), Geralt and his near friends speak in modern spanish, while the poor townsfolk speak badly spoken olde castillian spanish (illiterated.) and the nobles in high culture castillian spanish (more theatrical).
Its pretty awesome.

Does this game have fishing in it? OR Bow and Arrows? Always prefer archery to sword play if given the option.

Bow and arrows haven't been present in the prior games (at least, not that I remember), so I doubt they'll be here. Geralt is a guy whose focus is on swordplay, not attacking from range.

erawsd

Bow and arrows haven't been present in the prior games (at least, not that I remember), so I doubt they'll be here. Geralt is a guy whose focus is on swordplay, not attacking from range.

There is a crossbow in this one. It doesn't seem like something you'll use as a primary weapon though, just for taking don't flying creatures.

Lunar15

The books are translated (if its a good translation) in a way to give geralt and his troupe a more near feeling to the reader, while the rest of world speaks with accents or differents way of talking.
For example, in the spanish translation (of the books), Geralt and his near friends speak in modern spanish, while the poor townsfolk speak badly spoken olde castillian spanish (illiterated.) and the nobles in high culture castillian spanish (more theatrical).
Its pretty awesome.

Is that how it is in the original Polish version?

Denton

Since you're being so condescending, what's the super serious reason Saskia shows cleavage? Just finished the game and must have missed it.

Ah, I was no more condescending than he was (though admittedly more towards the devs than me).
There is no superserious reason, just a fairly obvious one, Dandelion spells it out quite logically:

witcher2_2015_04_21_2u5uhr.png

Plus IIRC there was a dialogue with Zoltan about this as well.

Now don't get me wrong, CDP definitely did do "sex sells" kind of marketing before - like when they stripped Triss for Polish Playboy to appeal to male nongamer audience - but in case of Saskia, whose cleavage was not really advertised in any way, I doubt they gave it to her to "sell more copies". That's all.

Is that how it is in the original Polish version?

More or less. It's pretty easy to distinguish between modern Polish and peasant's way of speaking, but since main characters use quite sophisticated language anyway, there isn't much difference between them and the nobles. Nevertheless, language is the best part of the books for me, I just love the style.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You won’t find items you can’t use because you’re too low level. They will automatically scale down to your level if they’re too high for you. For instance the damage of a weapon will be lower, even if they will keep their “cool” elements like setting elements on fire for instance. Once you pick up an item, its stats are set, so it won’t scale back up to its original stats. That said, you’ll always get better loot as you move forward anyway. There’s no need to wait to be the right level before you get an item.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh.

SaberEdge

They made a few changes to the scene of Emhyr on his throne in this new footage compared to the one in the Sword of Destiny trailer.
Scene lighting is tweaked, they added some adornments and the skin shaders look better. Also, if you watch both videos you'll see the new version has better facial animations, lip syncing and wrinkles that form.

dEvAnGeL

in the gamespot second video series about the game they talk of the console versions and show a few seconds of gameplay, isnt it strange that a game that is this close to release haven't had a hands on with the consoles? i will be lying if i say im not worried

in the gamespot second video series about the game they talk of the console versions and show a few seconds of gameplay, isnt it strange that a game that is this close to release haven't had a hands on with the consoles? i will be lying if i say im not worried
They had tons of console hands ons in January.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah I have my doubts about this right here. Item scaling in my experience is always bad.

I also have my doubts about this one in an open world rpg as well. Then again not all fetch quests are created equal.

I see the biggest benefit of this is that not everyone is wearing the same damn thing at the end of the game, or pieces x y z is the best in the game.

At least I hope that is what this can result in. If so, I like it a lot. If not then you're right it seems sort of silly.

Not offhand, but look for any articles posted on or around January 26th when the embargo was up and they were all from hands-on events where the PS4, XBOne, and PC versions were all playable. So if it's a PS blog they probably played the PS version, and if it's an XBox blog they probably picked the XBox. I think some of the bigger sites had multiple people playing different versions.

Portugeezer

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Oh, I thought it was like Dark Souls where it would just do a bit less damage if it required higher levels. However, this thing about setting the level whenever you get it? Sounds disappointing... would it scale up? What if I really like the feel of a weapon will it just become useless and weak compared to later weapons just because I got them later?

We'll see I guess.

Tovarisc

Oh, I thought it was like Dark Souls where it would just do a bit less damage if it required higher levels. However, this thing about setting the level whenever you get it? Sounds disappointing... would it scale up? What if I really like the feel of a weapon will it just become useless and weak compared to later weapons just because I got them later?

We'll see I guess.

Once item has level it stays at that level, no scaling up.

This goes for any RPG or game that has loot; If you have some low level sword that you like [model, how it feels, affix...], but you are over leveling it and found new sword. This new sword doesn't have as appealing affix, but has +15% in every stat when compared to low level favorite. Don't you replace low level favorite just so you can progress on power curve towards more harder content?

If you answer "Yes" why that wouldn't apply to Witcher 3?

Edit: If power progression is well designed to go with leveling I guess players wouldn't even realize that gear scaling is happening at background. You progress in game and you find better and better gear.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really pumped for this but not for nothing that item scaling thing has potential to be almost a game ruiner... Hopefully they playtest the hell out of it and path it out if it doesn't work for the better.

Hype is real now though. Finally got past Flotsam in the Witcher 2 on PC, and just bought the first of the books on my Kindle paper white.

Yeah, I'm not too sure about that. At least it can be corrected by mods if it turns out poorly.

I just don't understand why they would go with that as the default.

Explore > Find super cool weapon > Feel compelled to explore more.

It is a pretty basic RPG thing and modern games seem to want to take that away, even though enemies don't scale with you in this case (thank god). Even with mods it will not (at least initially) make the game be designed around some far off chest hidden behind hard enemies having something amazing in it.

I'm just picturing Skyrim level find boring things in generic places over and over again with no feeling of reward :| Having a huge world doesn't do you much good if the weapon at the end of the chamber of eternal doom is the exact same thing you'll find lying in a bush just out of town.

They made a few changes to the scene of Emhyr on his throne in this new footage compared to the one in the Sword of Destiny trailer.

Scene lighting is tweaked, they added some adornments and the skin shaders look better. Also, if you watch both videos you'll see the new version has better facial animations, lip syncing and wrinkles that form.

What??? I didn't know he will play a role in Witcher 3 : http://www.vg247.com/2015/04/21/gam...nister-talks-about-his-role-in-the-witcher-3/

Now the Withcer 3 is getting more interesting.

Tovarisc

i still hope i can play with english subtitles and polish dialog

FAQ for Witcher 3 pre-order on GOG, that I can't find now as they changed pre-order page on GOG, mentioned that you can freely choose what audio and subtitle packages you want to install/use. If memory serves me right.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
i gotta grant a rare pass for cd projekt, they got this, we all know it.

I mean, I'm sure the game will have lots of merits, but this is planting one foot firmly in modern Bethesda game design. That's majorly disappointing. The enemies won't scale to your level, but the rewards will? That makes even less sense.

So let's say you spend an hour having an epic life or death battle with something you're not "supposed" to be able to handle yet, in a hidden cave you spent hours exploring the wilderness to find. Your reward is something moderately better than what you have, but will probably become obsolete compared to standard stuff found in lots of places once you have more time logged. When you reach that point in games like Oblivion and Skyrim and Fallout 3, the games are siphoned of all meaning and accomplishment and all sense of immersion and progression breaks as you look down on the treadmill you're walking on.

Why the half-measure? If you get past the full powered Uber Dragon when you're 30 hours in instead of 100, you should still get what was in that Uber Dragon's stash, not some gimped version. You had to put in *more* effort, no doubt, than if you had done it later in your campaign. This is troublesome design to say the least.

I mean, I'm sure the game will have lots of merits, but this is planting one foot firmly in modern Bethesda game design. That's majorly disappointing. The enemies won't scale to your level, but the rewards will? That makes even less sense.

So let's say you spend an hour having an epic life or death battle with something you're not "supposed" to be able to handle yet, in a hidden cave you spent hours exploring the wilderness to find. Your reward is something moderately better than what you have, but will probably become obsolete compared to standard stuff found in lots of places once you have more time logged. When you reach that point in games like Oblivion and Skyrim and Fallout 3, the games are siphoned of all meaning and accomplishment and all sense of immersion and progression breaks as you look down on the treadmill you're walking on.

Why the half-measure? If you get past the full powered Uber Dragon when you're 30 hours in instead of 100, you should still get what was in that Uber Dragon's stash, not some gimped version. You had to put in *more* effort, no doubt, than if you had done it later in your campaign. This is troublesome design to say the least.

A man after my own heart.

Tovarisc

Damien Monnier;
Yes maybe you are right actually - you won't even feel the system is in place and you can still get mega epic stuff that will stay static.
I felt like maybe this is something that people wanted to know to understand our thinking but maybe you are right I talk too much sometimes about our technical stuff (I like to explain to people the thinking behind a design without it breaking the illusion).
Maybe just go with the flow don't try to "game" it I would say, that's how I play it and I have a tone of fun. :)
Source

Damien Monnier;
We also have unique powerful swords and gear that will always be at a set level and set stats. I forgot to mention that - and that's why I came here to reply to your point which is totally valid - in fact as soon as I remembered that I failed to mention it (when the recording was over) I thought to myself "I must go on Reddit and clarify this no doubt somebody picked up on it!". Only some gear is there to 'fit' you but you don't notice it. Fear not it works really well :)
Source

Hypron

I agree with this. They should just make it so that you can't use high-end weapons to their fullest potential if your character is not skilled enough. Permanently scaling down weapons sounds terrible.

Okay this sounds a bit better.

viveks86

Damien Monnier;
Yes maybe you are right actually - you won't even feel the system is in place and you can still get mega epic stuff that will stay static.
I felt like maybe this is something that people wanted to know to understand our thinking but maybe you are right I talk too much sometimes about our technical stuff (I like to explain to people the thinking behind a design without it breaking the illusion).
Maybe just go with the flow don't try to "game" it I would say, that's how I play it and I have a tone of fun. :)
Source

Damien Monnier;
We also have unique powerful swords and gear that will always be at a set level and set stats. I forgot to mention that - and that's why I came here to reply to your point which is totally valid - in fact as soon as I remembered that I failed to mention it (when the recording was over) I thought to myself "I must go on Reddit and clarify this no doubt somebody picked up on it!". Only some gear is there to 'fit' you but you don't notice it. Fear not it works really well :)
Source

Thanks for sharing this. I don't think most of GAF is even aware of this follow up

Tovarisc

Thanks for sharing this. I don't think most of GAF is even aware of this follow up

He literally posted these ~30min ago to 5 days old thread. I got heads up only because he happened to reply to my post in thread. I hope this update gets visibility here.

We also have unique powerful swords and gear that will always be at a set level and set stats. I forgot to mention that

Why on Earth would you forget to mention that?

Oh well, at least there might be some point to exploring. Time will tell where these swords actually are.

Tovarisc

Being put into spotlight by Q&A that is streamed globally and having your train of thought stopped few times by questions that get randomly thrown in as you are explaining that stuff. I guess that can cause you to forget to mention some things :D

viveks86

Being put into spotlight by Q&A that is streamed globally and having your train of thought stopped few times by questions that get randomly thrown in as you are explaining that stuff. I guess that can cause you to forget to mention some things :D

Guilty as charged!

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Scaling down weapons and or gear sounds dumb. Who wants to fight a higher level enemy for a sword that will be scaled down.

viveks86

Scaling down weapons and or gear sounds dumb. Who wants to fight a higher level enemy for a sword that will be scaled down.

Those who care about the fight and not the number on a sword at the end of the fight? *shrugs*

This debate has 2 sides with valid points favoring both, but I see most people not even trying to see the merits in the decision. There are pros and cons one way or the other.

Not to mention the fact that we now know there are weapon rewards that don't scale down, just not all of them. It seems they are trying to make everyone happy with a bit of both. An impossible feat, as history has proven.

tuxfool

Banned

Oh well, at least there might be some point to exploring. Time will tell where these swords actually are.

Because he was rushed and that he might be nervous at interviews? Honestly, I prefer this approach than someone constantly being shepherded by a pr agent.

Top Bottom