• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

eso76

well well well, that does look great.
Not that one can't tell the trailer is part CG and retouched replays (as is Prologue intro, for example) but you can tell the final product will look almost as good, which is spectacular.
I'm willing to bet damage is limited to WRC though. Plus, i don't really care about that as much as i do about collision dynamics.

now, i just wish there was a decent wheel to use with this and FM3...

KHarvey16

No clue what's CG, in-game or replays. Damage is nice to see but it's extremely telling they only show it for rally.

iam220

I'm not a nascar fan but NASCAR with a 16 car limit is poop. Or is the full game going to have more cars on track?

samus4ever said:
Wasn't it announced back in 05?

It never was announced. Back in 05 they showed VisionGT, which is what they hoped GT5 would be (lots of cars on track, which they obviously did, they then announced GTHD and after that GT5P. This is the first time they've announced GT5.

avaya said:
The game feels like it's a product by the car industry for the industry, that's what separates it out from the competition.

That's what I've hated about it in the past. Too damn sterile.

KHarvey16

SolidSnakex said:
It never was announced. Back in 05 they showed VisionGT, which is what they hoped GT5 would be (lots of cars on track, which they obviously did, they then announced GTHD and after that GT5P. This is the first time they've announced GT5.

I thought it was announced at E3 06. I mean....they have a prologue.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
WRC: amazing!

damage simulation for WRC is mandatory. the cosmetics are also a nice touch. now tell me we have some time-of-day simulation and possibly weather for the endurance races there (those le mans 24 shots) and i'll be lining up for a ps3 slim later this year.

sportzhead said:
What's the point in posting pics of the trailer when it's nothing but CG? I'm so tired of the CG game trailers, BLURG!

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. But they've never shown CG for this game. Even when Sony was showing CG trailers of all their games at E3 05, Polyphony came out and showed high res PS2 GT4 assets for VisionGT. They've taken a lot of heat for showing PS2 assets in many of their trailers simply because they don't want to show CG. They instead show you what they have.

Untitled-1.png

OMG THIS YEAR!!!

Blackface

Banned
Forza 3 looks better to me. More community based, more customizable (at least what we have seen so far), and the driving mechanics > GT's. Plus, their physics and damage modeling looked light years better.

However, we have not seen much GT5, they probably have a ton to show still.

GT5 looks great, but when is it coming out? Also, I am sure people who like WRC/NASCAR are happy, but there are rally/Nascar games I could play if I gave a shit (I don't).

Either way, lots of good stuff for racing fans on it's way. Regardless of what style of racing you like (even Kart games).

Ranger X

So far so good but Forza wins this time. Sorry.

GT5 = look better

Forza = more features + car flipping. Wins.

Grayman

iam220 said:
I'm not a nascar fan but NASCAR with a 16 car limit is poop. Or is the full game going to have more cars on track?
They could probably bump it up for just nascar and daytona but I only count 15 in the screenshot above, not going to look harder for evidence of more cars myself.

Flo_Evans

Wonder if the damage is WRC only? It was only shown on the WRC car. Would make sense, but if they don't have the damage in nascar it will be a bit silly.

eso76

i don't know what you guys consider CG, but this clearly isn't rendered in real time. Ingame assets most likely, but rendered with AA, AF and more accurate motion blur and dof. There IS a difference between Prologue intro and replays

Dead Man

Flo_Evans said:
Wonder if the damage is WRC only? It was only shown on the WRC car. Would make sense, but if they don't have the damage in nascar it will be a bit silly.
Yeah, a bit worried by this. Could it be they can only do it when 1 car is on screen? Hope not.

iam220

Grayman said:
They could probably bump it up for just nascar and daytona but I only count 15 in the screenshot above, not going to look harder for evidence of more cars myself.

Yeah I only counted 15 as well, getting a nascar license was giant waste of resources if this is indeed the limit.

Stop it with the that was not CG stuff. I don't know the official term, but that is what every GT5 Prologue video intro has looked like, and we all know that is not what the game looks like when you are actually playing it. GT Pro looks damn good, but come on if you think that trailer was ingame footage.

DMeisterJ

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
I guess you summed it up pretty well when you told FM2 to suck your balls. :D

:D

I was just pissed that T10 would decide to say everything in absolutes without waiting for GT5 to show. I mean, GT portable is going to have more cars, GT5 in terms of cars is going to be crazy. And damage. And graphics. Goddam.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ranger X said:
So far so good but Forza wins this time. Sorry.

GT5 = look better

Forza = more features + car flipping. Wins.
i'd be quite surprised if the wrc physics in gt did not allow for car flipping. don't count that one out yet.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
sportzhead said:
Stop it with the that was not CG stuff. I don't know the official term, but that is what every GT5 Prologue video intro has looked like, and we all know that is not what the game looks like when you are actually playing it. GT Pro looks damn good, but come on if you think that trailer was ingame footage.
I don't see anyone here stating this as so.

KHarvey16 said:
Are people really claiming the trailer is 100% in game or replay footage? Jets, crowd, fluttering flags and all?
No, but it's not CG. Simple as that.

avaya

Damage was all CG, they haven't got anything ready on that front. Only thing that could make it slightly easier for them is the fact that all of the cars in the game have a majority of their design constructed like in real life i.e. individual chassis components have been modelled separately and bolted together.

Incorporating damage physics on an era of CPU and GPU that are simply not cut out to do it any kind of justice would mean an inevitable graphical downgrade to the level of games that shall not be named.

MotorbreathX said:
That's what I've hated about it in the past. Too damn sterile.

Disagree, it's what makes it epic compared to everything else. It's exactly the reason why it's so much more successful than anything else in the genre. Unrivalled production values, the car industry standard. It's exactly the reason why I love it.

amar212

KHarvey16 said:
Are people really claiming the trailer is 100% in game or replay footage? Jets, crowd, fluttering flags and all?

Even from the ages of GT:HD demo in Chistmas 2006

KHarvey16 said:

Have you played Prologue? Part of what they're trying to do is bring the entire spectacle of racing to GT5. That's why you see pit crews out there, something that certainly isn't common in racing games.

Insertia

Game of the show.

Really surprised by the Nascar and WRC features. Fuck. I'll never need another racing game till GT6 comes out.

I was worried about GT5 for a moment, but so far it's the most impressive racer I've seen from E3. The livery and cinema mode from Forza 3 no longer looks cool.

evolution

KHarvey16 said:
If you played prolouge you'd know that all that stuff is just the next step. None of that will take place during a race, but it will be there running pre-race just like in prolouge

Haunted

oh my, did I see a banged up hood in that trailer?

*happy*

edit: there it is in all its glory

no damage defenders owned. :D

sneaky77

Insertia said:
I was worried about GT5 for a moment, but so far it's the most impressive racer I've seen from E3. The livery and cinema mode from Forza 3 no longer looks cool.

Except we know Forza 3 comes out this october.. and no one knows when GT5 will actually be on stores. Who knows by then Forza 4 will be almost complete even

Flo_Evans

idahoblue said:
Yeah, a bit worried by this. Could it be they can only do it when 1 car is on screen? Hope not.

idk, I re-watched the stream and it shows 2 WRC cars at once. I noticed during the sport car segment when all the cars where spinning they where very careful not to hit each other though! :lol

Anyway like I said in the sony conference thread this is awesome, WRC is great, nascar is meh but some people love it. I just wish we heard more about tourist trophy or what ever happened to the motorcycles in GT5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom