• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 PS4 gameplay

Not worried at all now, will ge it!

One dude got choped in half in that Polish video! gloriious!

05d.jpg

WAY better footage. Pop-in isn't as noticeable as in the horribly compressed one. I knew it!

Agreed. However, the main thing that I hate about the environments is the way the foliage is lit during the day. It's so inconsistent and flat. I noticed this on the PC version too.

Also, seems like most of the pop in is from shadows from trees.

Bl@de

Because I still use it plenty? Theres lots of PC exclusives I want to play like Star Citizen, Pillars of Eternity, etc. And to be honest most multi plats out right now dont have a large difference between the PS4 versions and PC. They have better framerates and better IQ but in nearly all titles right now assets are pretty close to the same.

Maybe when there is a larger difference between PC graphics and PS4 I'll start to transition my multi plats over but currently outside of framerate and aliasing the PS4 versions are easily on par with PC

I sometimes feel the same way. I have a pretty powerful PC (well except the 2GB VRAM on my 770) but I usually play all the AAA games on a console. Why? I don't know. But somehow I tend to finish games on a console but get easily distracted on my PC with surfing the web etc. (I blame NeoGAF)^^ The PS4 is lovely though, 1 button on my controller and the TV+PS4 turn on, one button press and Bloodborne starts. Doesn't get easier for a lazy fuck like me :D

But my PC still gets good use with games like Might&Magic, Wasteland 2 and Europa Universalis^^ And don't forget that a powerful CPU+SSD is always good for everyday work.

In your case I will choose PC, not for graphics only but especially for the upcoming mods, the ability to bring saves from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2 which affect the game and bringing saves from Witcher 2 to Witcher 3 which will affect the game too. So basically Witcher 1 saves affect Witcher 3 indirectly.

Ive got it pre ordered on PC too. My first play will probably be on PS4 and get the Platinum then my second playthrough will be on PC with all the settings turned up. Should be great on both and I know it'll be worth playing twice anyways.

Now my preference for console would go out the window if it ran awful. If the game looked bad / ran poorly I would go PC only but seeing this footage I'm plenty satisfied with that level of detail.

Kinthalis

Banned
Agreed. However, the main thing that I hate about the environments is the way the foliage is lit during the day. It's so inconsistent and flat. I noticed this on the PC version too.

Compression tends to mute colors and lower the dynamic range. I'm hoping when rendered in real time on screen, very subtle differences will become more apparent. But yeah, it just may be that they can't do proper self shadowing on all that foliage.

Seriously, has anyone seen more foliage ina game before? I'm hard pressed to think of another game that does it to this extent... Crysis 3 maybe in some areas?

BatSu

Why doesn't the water react at all to the player outside of the first time he jumps in? Water looks really bad in that gif.

The quality of the videos and gifs are bad. But if water movement is negligible. I commented on the previous page

This gif is better

nC4cRKl.jpg

How did you know this effect isn't in the game now? Is there any new footage showing that same spell being cast on water? And what if the spell in that gif is at maximum level, that is why it creates such big fripples?

There's footage from the YouTuber's gameplay thread showing Aard being cast in the swamp area and it not having any rippling effect on the water anymore, just the "splash" that gets thrown up.

I would prefer to get this on pc but my old 660ti probably cant handle it. Im glad the ps4 version is looking good at least i can play on ps4 with decent visuals. Hopefully its got a locked 30fps frame rate. Wow those blood effects and gore in that gif look awesome. I have been on a media black out I didnt know you could decapitate people.

Servbot24

Banned
Have any games ever done the jumping animation right? It always looks like they just lift off the ground without any upwards momentum at all.

The only one I can think of is GTA V's jump animation while standing still.

It's because most people want to lift off immediately after pressing the button. Otherwise you'd get complaints of lag (even though it's not actually lag).

Wow, I think that's the first legit forest I've ever seen in a video game. The tree/foliage density is nuts.

As usual YT compression makes it impossible to discern how good the game actually looks on PS4, but the framerate seems stable.

Blood effects are the only effects I care about as visual feedback, and they're intact as hell! :D

Y58l07d.gif

I love how that guy's body spins around from the momentum of Geralt's hit. Really cool animation there.

I have a strong feeling this is going to be my GOTG so far. It's ticking everything I look for in a game.

It's because most people want to lift off immediately after pressing the button. Otherwise you'd get complaints of lag (even though it's not actually lag).

That makes sense, I never thought of that.

Wow, I think that's the first legit forest I've ever seen in a video game. The tree/foliage density is nuts.

Yeah, it's so impressive. What a welcome improvement over almost nothing but flax textures last-gen.

Do the first two games have a lot of mod potential? What sort of stuff has been done in the past?
For some reason I totally hadn't considered if there would be a modding scene for this.
CDProjekt have released their REDKit engine for mod use, just like Creation Kit for Skyrim.
But the modding community is nowhere near the size of Bethesda game ones.
Maybe that will change with Witcher 3 going open world and becoming more popular (I hope)

http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/index.php?c=files

cresto

Trying to figure this out: I preloaded this game to my xbone from a digital purchase. Will I get the soundtrack or not? They say every hard copy comes with a map and the soundtrack. Really want that soundtrack...

zkorejo

It looks like the splashy / ripple effects are turned way down on PS4, for obvious reasons I guess.
For example, zero ripple effect here:

K04KIuh.gif

However, you do still get some decent splishy splashy when you're on a horse.

There is a ripple effect when Geralt is walking in the water but no ripple effect with the Ard sign. Not a big deal (for me) if it isnt in the PS4 version though. I am very happy with what we have on consoles.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
You really prefers trophies and chat over 60 FPS and superior visuals?
I only have a PS4 so not much choice here but I think a powerful PC is an easy choice.

because to some people things like trophies, having more friends on a system etc is a more important factor to them personally when comparing it to 60 fps or 4k

Kinthalis

Banned
CDProjekt have released their REDKit engine for mod use, just like Creation Kit for Skyrim.
Maybe that will change with Witcher 3 going open world and becoming more popular (I hope)

Yeah, I think open world leaves mroe room for modders to tinker - also keeps more of the playerbase engaged in the game. For me Witcher 2 was basically the mains story and a few sidequests, and that's that.

Skyrim on the other hand was 200 hours of enjoying the sights - which gave me plenty of time to try mods, and the mods in turn gave me plenty of reason to keep coming back to the game.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
There's footage from the YouTuber's gameplay thread showing Aard being cast in the swamp area and it not having any rippling effect on the water anymore, just the "splash" that gets thrown up.

Can anyone link to that youtube video? I'm curious to see that scene.

Kinthalis

Banned
because to some people things like trophies, having more friends on a system etc is a more important factor to them personally when comparing it to 60 fps or 4k

But this ia single palyer game... there's no multiplayer.

Seems those people would have been better off buying a mdoer modest PC for PC exclusives, than a powerhouse. If 60 FPs and 4K don't matter to you, then why buy a PC that's capable of these things?

Well, whatever. To each their own.

Damn this is cool, thanks for the link. CDPR doing us a solid with this support.
Even more happy to be playing on PC for this one now. Hope the modding scene takes off!

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Why doesn't the water react at all to the player outside of the first time he jumps in? Water looks really bad in that gif.

that looks like a real shitty stream or even rain water settling, it looks like there is a very thin layer of water there compared to other gifs we have seen like in the swamp where the water is deeper

But this ia single palyer game... there's no multiplayer.

Seems those people would have been better off buying a mdoer modest PC for PC exclusives, than a powerhouse. If 60 FPs and 4K don't matter to you, then why buy a PC that's capable of these things?

Well, whatever. To each their own.

You've completely ignored everything that other's have said on the subject (including me).

So, it's probably better to leave it at "to each their own."

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looking good to me. Foliage and wind effects are in tact, which was one of my main concerns. Hopefully it runs well. Glad they finally showed it.

Sou

It seems like the animation has been improved since the last batch of videos.

Looks amazingly smooth now.

The framerate seemed fine, so I imagine I'll be pulling the trigger on it before it releases. There were some beautiful shots in the Polish vid, despite the compression.

Gold_Loot

Is it ever possible to come into a thread about a PS4 game without it turning into a PC/Console dick waving contest? Jesus Fuck!

OK, we get it.. the game runs smoother, and you can see the shadows draw further on PC. Big fucking deal. I'm a grown ass 39 year old man. I just want to play a good game!

Shit's worse than port begging..
So yeah, Witcher 3 looks good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Oh wow the Polish vid was the best footage I've seen of the game so far. Just general exploration with that heavy atmosphere and detailed world got me seriously hyped.

Both vids did seem to have some areas with a sketchy framerate but that could be down to Youtube being Youtube since it seemed present on the menus as well.

EDIT: Didn't happen when I went back to the same spot in the video.

This is the only game that I’m interested in for the foreseeable future. I never played the first two games but am defiantly picking this up for my PS4. I’m thinking this may finally be the game that can replicate the magic I felt all those years ago playing OoT on N64.

Kinthalis

Banned
Is it ever possible to come into a thread about a PS4 game without it turning into a PC/Console dick waving contest? Jesus Fuck!

OK, we get it.. the game runs smoother, and you can see the shadows draw further on PC. Big fucking deal. I'm a grown ass 39 year old man. I just want to play a good game!

Shit's worse than port begging..
So yeah, Witcher 3 looks good.

Grown ass 39 year old crying like a 12 year old. Just ignore the discussion, I mena EVERYONE is comparing the game ot the PC version because all previous footage is of the PC version.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I sometimes feel the same way. I have a pretty powerful PC (well except the 2GB VRAM on my 770) but I usually play all the AAA games on a console. Why? I don't know. But somehow I tend to finish games on a console but get easily distracted on my PC with surfing the web etc. (I blame NeoGAF)^^ The PS4 is lovely though, 1 button on my controller and the TV+PS4 turn on, one button press and Bloodborne starts. Doesn't get easier for a lazy fuck like me :D

But my PC still gets good use with games like Might&Magic, Wasteland 2 and Europa Universalis^^ And don't forget that a powerful CPU+SSD is always good for everyday work.

I mean, there is something to be said for the convenience of a console but twice the framerate supersedes that for me. PS4 footage looks fine but given the choice between 30 fps and 60 fps I'm going with the 60 fps version every time.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oh wow the Polish vid was the best footage I've seen of the game so far. Just general exploration with that heavy atmosphere and detailed world got me seriously hyped.

Both vids did seem to have some areas with a sketchy framerate but that could be down to Youtube being Youtube since it seemed present on the menus as well.

I didn't see any sketchy frame rate at all. Looked pretty solid 30 to me. Time stamp me?

I love the wind blowing trees and vegetation and the dust flying around close to the road. The fog close to the river also looks cool. This game will rock

Top Bottom