• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Sports Resort

Booser

In the basketball game are you controlling the bounces and passes too? Cos that looks pretty ace if you can.

I cant wait for the kendo, frisbee and the mini sword fighting game where you have to beat the crap out of the guys on the bridge.

Eteric Rice said:
This.

I like motion controls, but the day I have to duck to avoid things and shit like that is when I'm done. :lol

Play this. Ducking has never been so much fun.

police-24-7-911-0-7961-1.jpg

dk_

Anyone importing? The Japanese version will be out 6/26 and I still don't know if I should order it.

Vinnk

dk_ said:
Anyone importing? The Japanese version will be out 6/26 and I still don't know if I should order it.

Not "importing" since I live in Japan, but getting it first day. My nieces have been hinting that I should get this for weeks now.

CaVaYeRo

Dreamwriter said:
Cycling looks rather gimmicky to me. Do you even have the ability to steer the bike? Looks like it's all about moving your arms up and down to "pedal"

yes, you can steer, and yes, it's gimmick.

The worst, for me.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
Not "importing" since I live in Japan, but getting it first day. My nieces have been hinting that I should get this for weeks now.

Is your nieces the one from your wife's (Japanese) family ? How adamant are they with their hinting ? :)

Do you think it will sell as well as Wii Sports in Japan ?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cycling looks truly awful, but its the only one I have zero interest in. Everything else looks fun.

Haunted

Phife Dawg said:
Not worth it for me - can wait for a month with all the games on my backlog.

Importing would make absolutely no sense since I'll play this a lot with my more casual friends. I don't think they'd appreciate Japanese instructions. :lol

agrajag

Banned
CaVaYeRo said:
oh shit, they've told you some times. I've played the damn game!

Believe what you want, man! :lol

No one who posted in this thread in regards to the steering issue has posted anything convincing. This is the first time someone has come out and said "I played the game, there's steering." I believe you. That's sufficient evidence for me.

swerve

I'll be getting it Wednesday night and sword-slashing and jet-skiing all night long. Will report straight away.

I don't expect it to sell *that* quickly at launch actually - I think sales through August will be high as word of mouth spreads and new monster hunter buyers get in on the Wii scene.

mrklaw said:
Anyway, you could also argue that Nintendo promised all this originally, and they are only just catching up to that now with an add-on.

I hear this tossed around a lot, but do you have a quote or an advertisement that says as much? All I remember pre-launch was a video with people doing motions (with no game footage) for the mini-games that would eventually be featured in Wii Sports, Wario Ware, Wii Music, and Zelda TP. As far as that ad was concerned, they delivered on their promises. I don't remember anyone saying 1:1 except the gaming in press and Ubisoft.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
hahaha...its November 2006 all over again.
Day 1? sure.
Day 5-100...crystal ball looks very cloudy

kame-sennin said:
I hear this tossed around a lot, but do you have a quote or an advertisement that says as much? All I remember pre-launch was a video with people doing motions (with no game footage) for the mini-games that would eventually be featured in Wii Sports, Wario Ware, Wii Music, and Zelda TP. As far as that ad was concerned, they delivered on their promises. I don't remember anyone saying 1:1 except the gaming in press and Ubisoft.
You are very much correct.

Seems like people didn't know what 1:1 was back then and assumed that the Wiimote would or could do it even with the known tech behind it. Sad than Ubi was part of this 1:1 BS yet they haven't put WSR like controls in RS2 (laggy/ not 1:1, just some more canned slashs).

Davey Cakes

BorkBork said:
What does this even mean?
It means that people will not have caught on during the first day of release, so copies of the game may be found easily. However, as soon as it catches on in a mere few days, you'll have a harder time finding the game because everyone's going to want it.

Though, honestly, I'm interested in seeing how the game truly performs. I'm thinking somewhere between Wii Music and Wii Fit, at least at first. Then again, the game is bundled with MotionPlus, but I'm not sure if that's nearly the same pull as Wii Play's pack-in Wiimote.

Overall I do want Wii Sports Resort to sell incredibly well. Anything to get MotionPlus to the masses.

Rash said:
It means that people will not have caught on during the first day of release, so copies of the game may be found easily. However, as soon as it catches on in a mere few days, you'll have a harder time finding the game because everyone's going to want it.

Though, honestly, I'm interested in seeing how the game truly performs. I'm thinking somewhere between Wii Music and Wii Fit, at least at first. Then again, the game is bundled with MotionPlus, but I'm not sure if that's nearly the same pull as Wii Play's pack-in Wiimote.

Overall I do want Wii Sports Resort to sell incredibly well. Anything to get MotionPlus to the masses.
I can't wait for next month, seems like that will be the time where they really push for it with ads and TV shows.

If they try to give it the same push as they did Wii Fit than I think its going to be the newest member of the "top 10" club seeing as everyone loves Wii Sports and this comes with a add on.

I think Nintendo will want to make sure that this is a mega-hit after what happened with Wii Music. I fore-see a Ellen give away!:lol

agrajag

Banned
Rash said:

Sad truth, it deserves to sell much better than Wii Play. Wii Play only sold so phenomenally because of the shortage of Wiimotes.

I was at Best Buy today and I didn't see any WM+ sold by themselves, only packed in with Tiger Woods.

Rash said:

I don't think it will either. To most customers, M+ probably holds no value at all. They are only going to find it valuable when they are actually playing WSR. I still think this game is going to be huge, but only because it's a Wii Sports sequel, not because it has a piece of plastic packed in.

I'm more interested to see how people react when they find out that they need to buy a second motion plus to play with a friend.

Black-Wind said:
Seems like people didn't know what 1:1 was back then and assumed that the Wiimote would or could do it even with the known tech behind it. Sad than Ubi was part of this 1:1 BS yet they haven't put WSR like controls in RS2 (laggy/ not 1:1, just some more canned slashs).

That's what I thought. But that won't stop people from claiming Nintendo is charging them extra for something they were already "promised".

Presumably they're going to spend the next month taking this to Conan, Good Morning America, and shows like that to get the word out that, hey, it's the sequel to that game you all loved.

Yes Boss!

A little concerned with how the Wiimote is held in Airplane with only one hand...I was expecting it to be held in both hands and to function like a proper flightstick. Definitely looking forward to J-GAF's impressions.

Eteric Rice

ShockingAlberto said:
Presumably they're going to spend the next month taking this to Conan, Good Morning America, and shows like that to get the word out that, hey, it's the sequel to that game you all loved.

The war of the motion controls am begin. :p

BikoBiko

Yes Boss! said:
A little concerned with how the Wiimote is held in Airplane with only one hand...I was expecting it to be held in both hands and to function like a proper flightstick. Definitely looking forward to J-GAF's impressions.
Judging from the video it looks to work fine, why would it be concerning?

nli10

wackojackosnose said:
Play this. Ducking has never been so much fun.

police-24-7-911-0-7961-1.jpg

The day someone releases this fully functioning for home consoles is the day that I become a content gamer.

The PS2 version was badly flawed and didn't work and so doesn't count.

On the WiiBoard with motion plus it should be easy.

CaVaYeRo

agrajag said:
No one who posted in this thread in regards to the steering issue has posted anything convincing. This is the first time someone has come out and said "I played the game, there's steering." I believe you. That's sufficient evidence for me.

great!

now I'm SO hyped about a sword combat game! not much into Red Steel 2. I like it, but haven't played yet.

EDIT: Here we've posted our impressions article (Spanish), including those 2 previous vids:

http://www.revogamers.net/avances-458-Wii-Sports-Resort---Impresiones-1.html

Also, has anyone mentioned the shooting capability for the VS plane mode? B was for braking and A for shooting, iirc.

Jme

nli10 said:
The day someone releases this fully functioning for home consoles is the day that I become a content gamer.

The PS2 version was badly flawed and didn't work and so doesn't count.

On the WiiBoard with motion plus it should be easy.

I would buy that so hard. I've easily spent $50 on this in the arcade just playing it over and over. Man... it's crazy to think that the first time I played this game was like 8 years ago.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
handofg0d said:
Cycling looks fun.
That guy SUCKS at basketball.
Canoeing didn't look very M+ to me based on the guys gestures and what I saw on screen.
Wakeboarding looks fun.
Jetski looks fun.
Etc. etc. looks fun.

Seriously, it doesn't look like he's shot a jumper in his life. Screw that one handed half ass garbage.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
FoxHimself said:
These are terrible. They don't have the video of the guy synced up with the gameplay in any of these videos! :lol

The sword fighting video is hilarious because the game is doing the animations before the guy does the motions. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
BorkBork said:
It's almost criminal that the hype for this is so low amongst enthusiast gamers.

Oh well, it's going to laugh all the way to the bank.
Shin Johnpv said:
That's because it doesn't have Sony's name on it. Once Sony brands their waggle controllers and releases something similar then all the "enthusiast gamers" will be going nuts. Just look at what happened at E3.
Zzorram said:
Ya, it's pretty crazy that the game media was so hyped about Sony's copycat wands that have no name, when Wii Motion+ is out and essentially just as good.
tabsina said:
unfortunately i don't think it will be recognized as even a candidate.. the gaming journalists won't let it (hope i'm wrong though).. i see something like red steel, conduit, (or my guess) nsmbwii taking it away
Zzorram said:
The game media obviously still shuns the Wii because it's not HD, and therefore not "for them", which may be why they seem to be showing favouritism to the unnamed Sony wand over the Wii Motion+.

Lest it be forgotten, video games are for FUN. Just because Wii Sports Resort is a compilation of minigames does not invalidate it as a real game, because it looks to be, and is being reported as, a huge boatload of fun.
Shin Johnpv said:
And yet all Sony showed was a collection of demos that could be called a collection of mini games........

Listen all I'm saying is really promising shit was shown with Wii Sports Resort and M+ is out, WSR will be out in a month. No one gave 2 shits, Sony showed basically the same fucking demos and half this board shit its self and went "OMG now Motion controls are cool!"

Boy this whole conspiratorial "WHRRRY DOESN'T THE GAMING MEDIA AND/OR GAF LOOOOVE THIS LATEST WII _______ GAME" was just creepy before, but now it's sort of pathetic. If you really need this much validation for your toys, it's going to be very difficult for you in the future.

You keep wondering why the media and/or GAF doesn't appreciate the PROFOUNDLY GAME CHANGING ADVANCES made by these mini-game compilations, the answer is simple:

They have a different idea of what makes something fun.

There it is, the mystery is over. Now you guys can go circle jerk to your latest gimmick without crying every five goddamn posts.

beef3483

Amir0x said:
Boy this whole conspiratorial "WHRRRY DOESN'T THE GAMING MEDIA AND/OR GAF LOOOOVE THIS LATEST WII _______ GAME" was just creepy before, but now it's sort of pathetic. If you really need this much validation for your toys, it's going to be very difficult for you in the future.

You keep wondering why the media and/or GAF doesn't appreciate the PROFOUNDLY GAME CHANGING ADVANCES made by these mini-game compilations, the answer is simple:

They have a different idea of what makes something fun.

There it is, the mystery is over. Now you guys can go circle jerk to your latest gimmick without crying every five goddamn posts.

It's all too funny and ironic to hear this from you. You're the one who can't leave any Conduit threads alone and has to drop condescending adjectives every other post. Maybe those people have different ideas for what is fun? How about we all just let people think for themselves, each and every one of us?

Amir0x

Banned
I am buying Conduit, and in those threads I was taking aim AGAIN at the sad bunch of people who are wondering whhhyyy it was going to be ignored by the gaming masses. Basically the same exact thing as in this Wii Sports Resort thread.

If the whiny Wii-fan contingent stopped whining every Wii thread, GAF Wii threads would be easier to read.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Amir0x said:
If the whiny Wii-fan contingent stopped whining every Wii thread, GAF Wii threads would be easier to read.
But couldn't this be applied to any thread full of posters with various preferences, in both gaming or the OT? Too many fanboys whining/ranting/overhyping is annoying anywhere, really. Why single any one group out and just get everyone to clean up?

[Nintex]

Wii Sports Resort is great I've played it and its actually a 'game' instead of a techdemo. The same goes for Wii Fit Plus, these titles offer way more challenge, modes and options than any of the other Wii___ games. This game is like Waverace, Zelda-lite and Pilotwings rolled into one.

beef3483

Amir0x said:
I am buying Conduit, and in those threads I was taking aim AGAIN at the sad bunch of people who are wondering whhhyyy it was going to be ignored by the gaming masses. Basically the same exact thing as in this Wii Sports Resort thread.

As if buying a game somehow validates your remarks. I'll be greatly looking forward to your the-Conduit-in-a-toilet picture.

And you act as if the whiny Wii fan contingent exists in a vacuum, as if some of thier whining isn't perpetuated by others remarks.
perhaps even yours?

Top Bottom