• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Baltimore Bloodier, but arrests down since Freddie Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

OctoMan

Banned
https://www.yahoo.com/news/baltimore-residents-fearful-amid-homicide-spike-083758282.html

Before it was over-policing. Now there's no police," said Donnail "Dreads" Lee, 34, who lives in the Gilmor Homes, the public housing complex where Gray, 25, was chased down. "People feel as though they can do things and get away with it. I see people walking with guns almost every single day, because they know the police aren't pulling them up like they used to."

Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said his officers "are not holding back," despite encountering dangerous hostility in the Western District.

"Our officers tell me that when officers pull up, they have 30 to 50 people surrounding them at any time," Batts said.

Much more at link.

Strange predicament. In would seem the public has lost what little faith they had in the pd, and in turn the police have felt betrayed and started to care less, or feel to endangered to help out.

What is the solution? Clean swipe of the whole department? Would that even matter?

Yup I live in Baltimore too. People are getting killed left and right all of a sudden. I've personally had to deal with a loss because of this bullshit and know plenty others who have as well. You barely see any cops or cop cars around anymore. Its basically a free for all.

commedieu

Banned
At this point, they should just hire private police. As they will be professional and accountable. I mean, as long as they don't just shoot black people on sight, it would be a step in the right direction. This force is a bunch of cowards.

Even the trouble caught up with the blackwater guys. Accountability is something not found in Americas PD.

Log4Girlz

Shootings are up in Baltimore, sadly.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/08/baltimore-shootings-after-lull-freddie-gray-protests

"Nine shootings were reported in a 24-hour period in Baltimore on Thursday, including at least two that were fatal.

The city has seen roughly three to four shootings a day over the past 10 days. In contrast, throughout the protests in West Baltimore following the death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray and the riots on 27 April, there were no casualties. From 28 April to 3 May, 18 shootings were reported in the city."

Wouldn't be happening if they treated people with respect in the first place.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Dissolve the department entirely. Start over from scratch, without a union. (I say as someone who generally likes unions) Disqualifying anyone with previous police or military experience would be ideal, but probably not possible from a legal standpoint.
Also hit the people who threatened to slow/stop policing with racketeering charges.
Rinse/repeat across the entire country.

Eh I don't like how the article seems to be implying that Freddie Grey incident has deterred police from doing their jobs, when the article itself clearly states several times that arrest rates were already on the decline well before the incident even occurred. Makes it seem like their trying to pin the blame on the protesters.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Give the residents guns , cop uniforms and car so they can patrol their own streets. They know their neighbors and the streets. Cops ain't gonna patrol that area anymore so might as well.

OctoMan

Banned
Give the residents guns , cop uniforms and car so they can patrol their own streets. They know their neighbors and the streets. Cops ain't gonna patrol that area anymore so might as well.
The all the sudden, somehow adored gangs were supposed to do that. Its not working.

commedieu

Banned
Eh I don't like how the article seems to be implying that Freddie Grey incident has deterred police from doing their jobs, when the article itself clearly states several times that arrest rates were already on the decline well before the incident even occurred. Makes it seem like their trying to pin the blame on the protesters.

I think thats the point of the article.

tumblr_mmem5mSDvk1r43rdeo1_500.gif

That's a terrible idea.

Fuchsdh

People wouldn't be shooting each other if the police treated people with more respect?

I don't think the AP article is trying to put the blame on the protestors, and even the police aren't saying that—the protestors aren't what they say they are concerned about, they're talking about blowback in the course of doing their jobs.

And yeah, while it's certainly easy and pat to blame the upswing on the fallout from the riots, the fact that both murders and arrests were trending in their current direction before it makes me hesitant to assign a casual source.

Dissolve the department entirely. Start over from scratch, without a union. (I say as someone who generally likes unions) Disqualifying anyone with previous police or military experience would be ideal, but probably not possible from a legal standpoint.
Also hit the people who threatened to slow/stop policing with racketeering charges.

Who's signing up for that?

Log4Girlz

People wouldn't be shooting each other if the police treated people with more respect?

The slowdown in arrests, which is likely a form of protest, wouldn't be happening if the officers involved in Freddie Gray's death weren't arrested, which wouldn't have happened if you know, they treated people like humans and didn't kill them when in custody.

Fuchsdh

The slowdown in arrests, which is likely a form of protest, wouldn't be happening if the officers weren't arrested, which wouldn't have happened if you know, they treated people like humans.

That's still blaming others for the actions of criminals.

I think thats the point of the article.

I don't think the AP article is trying to put the blame on the protestors, and even the police aren't saying that—the protestors aren't what they say they are concerned about, they're talking about blowback in the course of doing their jobs.

And yeah, while it's certainly easy and pat to blame the upswing on the fallout from the riots, the fact that both murders and arrests were trending in their current direction before it makes me hesitant to assign a casual source.

Fair enough.

Log4Girlz

That's still blaming others for the actions of criminals.

Its not a clear simple situation. Its all interconnected. Police are clearly slowing down their work, which is allowing shootings to increase which all came about because officers were held responsible for killing a man. If they didn't do that in the first place, all the rest wouldn't be happening.

Slayven

Its not a clear simple situation. Its all interconnected. Police are clearly slowing down their work, which is allowing shootings to increase which all came about because officers were held responsible for killing a man. If they didn't do that in the first place, all the rest wouldn't be happening.

Yeah this shit didn't happen over night, this is years if not decades of bullshit blowing up

Quixzlizx

So you generally like unions, but think they should all be treated as criminal enterprises?

Actually it would be. There are plenty of people who don't give a fuck about their own life, black lives or any other lives. The police aren't the main problem - it's an issue of systematic poverty, discriminatory housing policy, and easy access to illegal guns. Lots of desperate people trapped in a box, with access to high power weaponry...not a good mix. Throw police on top of that - some of whom are good people trying to survive a dangerous job, others who are blatantly corrupt, and others who don't do anything wrong but sit back and say nothing as corrupt cops break laws/trust.

Amir0x

Banned
This happened after the New York City situation with Eric Garner. Arrests were down NINETY PERCENT. It was amazing. Crime didn't actually go up either - it's just frivolous nonsense arrests police do to try to earn the state/city money were reduced, and so they stopped hunting for petty reasons to ticket/arrest people. It was incredible. I hope they throw a tantrum again.

The result was an amazing few weeks in NYC.

Valhelm

contribute something
At this point, they should just hire private police. As they will be professional and accountable. I mean, as long as they don't just shoot black people on sight, it would be a step in the right direction. This force is a bunch of cowards.

Even the trouble caught up with the blackwater guys. Accountability is something not found in Americas PD.

This is literally the worst idea I've ever seen on NeoGaf.

commedieu

Banned
This is literally the worst idea I've ever seen on NeoGaf.

you haven't seen blamespace threads then.

What is so bad about it? I'm not just saying shit for the sake of it, but if police just shoot blacks on sight, how could private police or something like the black panthers, lead to more black people getting shot to death by police..?

Amir0x

Banned
Privatization of these services means they'd be about profit, which means it'd be a fucking disaster. He is right about that. Just look at the privatized prison systems.

No, we need to go the route of complete reform and mandatory accountability written into the law.

SummitAve

Banned

And they should privatize all the prisons as well!

commedieu

Banned
And they should privatize all the prisons as well!

They already are. The point of private prisons is profit, though, and why its an asinine idea is because there is 0 effort to reform, but to continue a revolving door of beds for $.

The point of private policing would HOPEFULLY be profit & based on customer service. Something around what black panthers were used for, but legit.

Theres nothing funny about the fact that the police are acting like a mafia. So, solutions are welcome in my opinion. If police are just killing people, right now... I'd say any solution is better than waiting for them to do it themselves. I mean, they are oh so terrified of doing their job.

They already are. The point of private prisons is profit, though, and why its an asinine idea is because there is 0 effort to reform, but to continue a revolving door of beds for $.

The point of private policing would HOPEFULLY be profit & based on customer service. Something around what black panthers were used for, but legit.

Theres nothing funny about the fact that the police are acting like a mafia. So, solutions are welcome in my opinion.

You can't possibly be this naive, Commedieu.

Enzom21

So this a basically a temper tantrum by cops because they were held accountable for once?
So are they trying to show society that we need cops?
I am sure most people would agree that we need cops but we also need cops who don't take people on "rough rides" or stop working because they were criticized.

Theres nothing funny about the fact that the police are acting like a mafia. So, solutions are welcome in my opinion. If police are just killing people, right now... I'd say any solution is better than waiting for them to do it themselves. I mean, they are oh so terrified of doing their job.

Yeah I think you are going a little off the deep end here. Private police force? How bout no?

There's an article by conservative phlegm pile Rich Lowry called "Some Black Lives Don't Matter" that does this in a much more straightforward manner. It even has that old favorite "what about black on black crime" included.

What the hell?

BTW the Black Panthers were "legit." Go talk to some black people above the age of 55, they might remember who was providing school lunches in the 60s and 70s.

commedieu

Banned
You can't possibly be this naive, Commedieu.

I'm shooting out ideas. I mean, hell, hopefully was caps'd, then I mentioned something like the black panthers. At this point in my life, police aren't providing the service, at least locally. I think alternatives can be discussed. A private force with a team of mental illness workers, and possibly authorized signatures from their guardians. Instead of the disbelief and luls, It would be interesting to discuss alternatives. Clearly I'm not trolling or anything, but if you have a base line of shooting blacks on sight, ANYTHING could be an improvement.

What the hell?

BTW the Black Panthers were "legit." Go talk to some black people above the age of 55, they might remember who was providing school lunches in the 60s and 70s.

Don't get caught up in the wall of nonsense coming my way. I'm familiar with the panthers, which is why i said they are a solution, as well as a private option. a LEGIT private option.

Right now, the only options are:

1. Waiting for the American public to realize police shouldn't be gunning down black people.
2. See #1.

Gallbaro

Banned
Same shit they did in NYC, it is an unspoken threat

Except NYC improved for those few weeks when our largest gang was circling the wagons.

Also helps that is was before the ritualistic first night of summer shootings in Brooklyn.

quickwhips

That was his point lol.

commedieu

Banned
That was his point lol.

If I'm explaining the problem with the private prison system, currently, whats lol? I said a private prison isn't based around the idea of a prison being to rehabilitate, its just profit. Which is why I'd venture into the realm of private policing, like the black panthers, or a legitimate privately ran security with a mental illness capacity more so than police have now. A legitimate security option would be paid a salary, and them being good at their job (not killing people on sight) would keep them employed. The idea of private security is to help neighborhoods feel safe with mafia police shooting their children to death. Not to profit off of them arresting people. And at the end of the day, it was a suggestion qualified with examples of it previously happening, black panthers.

but, lol.. though.

esms

If I'm explaining the problem with the private prison system, currently, whats lol? I said a private prison isn't based around the idea of a prison being to rehabilitate, its just profit. Which is why I'd venture into the realm of private policing, like the black panthers, or a legitimate privately ran security with a mental illness capacity more so than police have now. A legitimate security option would be paid a salary, and them being good at their job (not killing people on sight) would keep them employed. The idea of private security is to help neighborhoods feel safe with mafia police shooting their children to death. Not to profit off of them arresting people. And at the end of the day, it was a suggestion qualified with examples of it previously happening, black panthers.

but, lol.. though.

I think I hear what you're saying.

But, following your line of thinking, wouldn't police officers being government employees and not granted the ability to unionize be a better solution than privatizing?

commedieu

Banned

But, following your line of thinking, wouldn't police officers being government employees and not granted the ability to unionize be a better solution than privatizing?

You hear what I'm saying, so thats a start. I didn't offer a bullet proof solution, but a suggestion to discuss.
A private force or something like the black panthers.

Any solution is better than waiting on police to fix the problem, or the american public to value black lives. Thats all I posted it for. The problem with the PD is really the entire justice system, if we are talking realistically, no thats not a better solution as we'd have to rely on fighting with a powerful union that wouldn't budge. Its a non solution that kicks the can down another 100 or so years. But, if it created a better force, with neighborhoods that didn't have to fear their PD, clearly I'd be up for it. But i find its more valuable to talk about what we can do about this, its not just a single issue here. There is a lot of broken that goes all the way up. I feel like I didn't make a HERP DERP PRIVATIZE comment. Nor would I.

I have 0 faith in police. And I'm aware that fixing the police means fixing the entire justice system. So, solutions are welcome. I mean, what else is there to do?

Yup I live in Baltimore too. People are getting killed left and right all of a sudden. I've personally had to deal with a loss because of this bullshit and know plenty others who have as well. You barely see any cops or cop cars around anymore. Its basically a free for all.

Yup, half the amount of cops where I drive through the city to get home. Weird as hell.
Also, private contractors (private police) and letting people police themselves, is borderline mental. Until you live in this dirty city, you really won't get it.

of all the problems we have with police, unions are at the bottom of the list.

I have 0 faith in police. And I'm aware that fixing the police means fixing the entire justice system. So, solutions are welcome. I mean, what else is there to do?

I doubt the truthfulness of this claim. I am sure there are plenty of situations I could come up with where you'd put your faith in the police.

gohepcat

Banned

You seem to be under the impression there is a large group of great people lining up to risk their lives everyday in Baltimore for 45k a year.

You seem to be under the impression there is a large group of great people lining up to risk their lives everyday in Baltimore for 45k a year.

45K a year...for about the first 6 months, not including overtime. Police on average are very, VERY well paid for what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom