• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Worlds now available on Steam Early Access ($14.99, Warner/TT)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Screenshots look fantastic really

Edit: That trailer looks more impressive than Minecraft already and this game is pretty damn early :lol. Love the sound effects and the water effects

MattyG

Banned
This looks.... awesome. I think it actually looks more fun than Minecraft purely from a building standpoint. If I wasn't still lost in The Witcher, I'd be all over this right now.

aka_bueno

I'm broke, anyone wanna gift me a copy lol? I love Lego, but never got into the Minecraft thing. But this, this is what will get me into these type of games, just cause it's Lego.

zeox

so, the game just minimizes and won't open up again. great stuff.

EDIT: for those of you with the same problem, changing the resolution in the .txt file helped.
it's located here: C:\Users\NAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment\LEGOWorlds

So shitty performance aside, I just created a tiny house from an existing set, complete with apple tree, BBQ and pool. I cooked bratwurst on the barbeque then knocked myself out playing basketball in the pool creating a kind of pinnocciodead.jpg effect.

This game is actually lots of fun.

CzarTim

Building is super cool and can't wait to see what people come up with. Still rough in some spots, as can be expected, but lots of potential.

Maddog

Has anyone seen the guy build stuff on the stream piece by piece? Could I theoretically use the instructions from a Lego set and built it in game?

deleted

Running on an ostrich looks so annoying but at the same time it is still so comical after watching it for several minutes :p

This could become the real deal! LEGO is making it's moves with this and Dimensions.

Some impressions from the stream:

Looks really impressive so far. I'm not sure how this will turn out though, I think there's a lot that can be said about simplicity and how more isn't always better. As a 'do anything' kind of toy, that's really cool, but I can't see this topping Minecraft for me.

I can see why they would implement prebuilt structures with this. Trying to build in this with as many parts as there are would be a nightmare. But that's really unsatisfying to me. I'd rather build my own stuff. I know that's planned, but again, it seems unenjoyable to do it that way with so many parts.

I think my major turnoff from this is that the environment is so fragile. It seems that any little thing can destroy the complex environment. And that may not always be desired.

deleted

I like that you add stuff to build while you discover it. There could be dungeons with stuff at the end/assets you want to for your castle/home/town..

Edit: That skeleton scream :p

Obscured

I've managed to not get into Minecraft because I always thought it would be too much of a time suck. This... this I don't think I can fight.

I think I'll wait to hear impressions after the initial glow wears off (though everything sounds and looks very promising so far) to see if it the game I think it is.

Helznicht

Looks cool but has a long way to go to be a mine craft replacement. They really got the easy part done, multi-player is what will make it popular. I have to say though, if Project Spark supported bigger world's in its procedural generation tool it would have this by its balls. But it's only 15 bucks and it's lego. If you really can build anything with all the blocks in a creative mode, that alone is worth admission price.

How many pieces are available? What kind of buildings/vehicles are you not able to build yet? Ideally I want the capabilities of a Lego digital builder within a Minecraft-like world.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What a bizarre surprise release. I guess I would buy a thing that lets you build virtual Lego sets. But Minecraft never drew me in because I prefer more structured gameplay. Lego at least has nostalgia going for it.

Well I'm now dressed as a wizard, standing on the roof of my castle shooting skeletons with my blunderbuss. That was after riding a Siberian Husky to a volcano and jumping in a helicopter.

Yeah, this game is good.

Regarding mods

Hi,

We're looking into the exploration of Mods down the line. For sake of quality controls it's not something we're looking to run straight away, as we want to make sure everything that is meant to be functioning is doing it's job/solved.

However, we do have the ability in place to let you add any Models that you create in the LEGO Digital Designer;

http://ldd.lego.com/

Install you're LXFML model files into this directory;

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment\LEGO Worlds\Mods\Models

In fact, you can also load any of your exported models into this tool too!

NOTE: PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP THIS FOLDER FIRST THOUGH, JUST IN CASE!

trixx

Was going to buy minecraft for my little bro but it's quite expensive. Anyone know if this would be a good substitute?

Was going to buy minecraft for my little bro but it's quite expensive. Anyone know if this would be a good substitute?

Probably not. Most of his friends probably play Minecraft already and this isn't a finished game. If he wants Minecraft I'd get him that.

zeox

Framerate is terrible :(

Texture quality high, FXAA off, DoF off, shadows medium, 1080p. Goes from 60fps all the way down to 30 fps just walking around.

This is on an i5 4690k and GTX 970 with 16GB ram on windows 8.1.

I expected better :(

Edit: On and no inverted look for controller.

I have a very similar PC and no performance issues what so ever. :S

Rootbeer

Banned

in its current state: no

by some point in 2016? probably!

game has potential but this is early access. important to weigh it by those merits.

minecraft was pretty limited when it first launched in early access too.

i'm still playing around in it. I like what it is showing me but it's very rough. I can see it going to great places though.

also, yes, framerate issues people are reporting are not exaggerated. game is pretty (supports DX11, which is nice to see) but they aren't kidding about the early access. they have a long ways to go
Anyone playing with keyboard/mouse? How well does it control?
perfectly fine. If you have played any recent LEGO game on PC it's similar in how you control the characters. It's a non-issue. For building mode you may find yourself preferring the mouse/keyboard. If you have a gamepad (360/XB1/PS4+third party drivers) that option is there as well

Firthy

If I purchase this will it work on OSX? I do all my gaming on consoles so apologies for the lack of knowledge when it comes to PC gaming.

U2NUMB

I would say Minecraft is not expensive at all considering how much kids play it.... just buy him that as it is a great game and kids are all playing it. Lego Worlds might be off to a good start but the point of Minecraft at least going off my 8 year old boy is playing with friends.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long for lego to copy minecraft. I mean, it should've been a no brainer before minecraft even released.

This is what everyone was expecting Lego Universe to be, not a generic MMO using the Lego IP.

Half of me thinks this is kind of cool, the other half thinks the window for Lego to have done this is long, long past. Had this been out in 2010, when Lego Universe came out, I would've definitely been a lot more interested.

DJ_Lae

I'm in.

My daughter loves Minecraft and Lego and I'm sure she'll be all over this. And man, watching the trailer makes me feel like a kid again too.

Knowing how TT Games struggles to deliver a scripted game bug free and how often they don't patch the bugs out (or Warner Bros don't let them), I am curious to see how they are going to handle an online multiplayer open world procedural game with creations, customisations etc... Especially that I expect this game to make it to other hardwares later on. We'll see I guess....

Gave in and bought it. Game seems cool so far, it even has official sets. Only one at the moment but I'm not sure if you can unlock more.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
All the footage I watch makes this look like so much fun. Definitely getting this on release :)

My boy just spent two hours playing it (he's 7) seems impressed. Seems a tad barebones, but as it is, I can see this growing into a fantastic package, even if they just deliver what's on their list and call it a day. I saw him roaming and exploring, collecting minifigures and vehicles. You can build brick by single brick, dump a preset building down, terraform the world geometry kind of similar to project spark, all of it seemed to work good, although when it's filling in a pre-built structure there was a bit of slow down. There's a little bit of janky but I dunno, this looks like it could be something.

Top Bottom