• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Worlds now available on Steam Early Access ($14.99, Warner/TT)

Love Minecraft so I'll probably check this out. Is there any plan for multiplayer though? That's the main thing I like about Minecraft.

zeox

Love Minecraft so I'll probably check this out. Is there any plan for multiplayer though? That's the main thing I like about Minecraft.

there are plans for multiplayer, yes. check the list in the second post for more stuff that is planned

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this stream has me sold almost immediately.

Dog attacking horse, horse runs up and hides in tree. Player rides a polar bear, polar bear gets attacked and killed by dog, player rides dog.

Krakn3Dfx

“We plan to add the following features through a series of regular updates:

 Like/Dislike system for tailoring World Generation
 Procedurally Generated Underground Cave Networks
 LEGO ID integration to allow for sharing and uploading of in-game builds
 Additional Biomes
 Painting Themes
 Pre-Generated Towns/Villages/Settlements relevant to the Biome
 Updated AI Behaviors to provide organic feeling to free-roaming creatures and characters
 Red Brick Extras
 Full liquid behaviors
 Additional Minifigure Characters and Creatures
 Additional Vehicles and Pre-Built Models
 Additional Weapons
 Cut/Copy/Paste chunks of landscape
 Underwater Gameplay (including Vehicles, Creatures and additional sea life)
 Character Customizer
 Online Multiplayer”

What's going to make or break this, just like any game that tries to go up against Minecraft, is how much they embrace the modding community on the PC. If they lock it down and keep everything as DLC/microtransactions, it could go either way. If they allow modding and even provide tools, this game could explode for them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is very cool for what it is and has hit written all over it for the Lego audience.

Chobel

Gave it a quick go.

w4totl.jpg

The UI sucks, it looks amateur-ish.

Seanspeed

Banned
What's going to make or break this, just like any game that tries to go up against Minecraft, is how much they embrace the modding community on the PC. If they lock it down and keep everything as DLC/microtransactions, it could go either way. If they allow modding and even provide tools, this game could explode for them.
This has the potential to do well even without mods. Lego crossovers with all kinds of things could give it plenty of legs. Doesn't need to be as big as Minecraft to be successful don't forget.

Revven

The recent Lego games never had me interested, they're so damn repetitive. This one has my attention though.

Same, this seems like the next logical step and one I've been waiting for since forever. I sooo badly would love to recreate LEGO Island, for example. This looks so awesome. Can't wait to see its finished state, it's already looking great.

MouldyK

It needs:

- Randomly generated quests
- Dynamic things popping up in the world (I don't give a damn why the Wild West just sprung up in my area)
- And purpose!

Santar

It needs:

- Randomly generated quests
- Dynamic things popping up in the world (I don't give a damn why the Wild West just sprung up in my area)
- And purpose!

I agree, a world with nothing to actually do except build will get boring pretty fast I think.

Steel

Banned
I always assumed they didn't want to detract from the sales of their overpriced physical Lego sets by offering it digitally.

Yeah, but it should have been pretty obvious to them that Minecraft was already detracting from the sales of their lego sets.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

I always assumed they didn't want to detract from the sales of their overpriced physical Lego sets by offering it digitally.
They probably won't have mod support. :/ The block types are limited and modders could digitize sets.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I just flew a dragon across a candy forest and arrived in a desert, then fought skeletons throughout a pyramid, eventually reaching a treasure room.

This game is fantastic.

Is it? Karak said this:

I am constantly happy about how well this runs compared to many Minecraft clones and Mincraft itself. Spawned into a massive world and its locked 60fps all the time.

I'd be interested to know what setups you both have.

The framerate takes a huge dip when building one of the premade sets, like a castle or the Changing Seasons set. I've got a quad-core i7-3770 with 8 GB of RAM and an R9 285.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
So, what can you actually do in this, because those bullet points aren't getting me that excited... Is this just a stripped down minecraft creative mode with a lego theme and kinda pretty default graphics?

Cuz' I need shit to do. Considering this is basically one of the 'fabled games' I've thought about forever, if all this is is basically a fancy map editor, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Minecraft, even in the state it's in with all the work that got put into it, is pretty bare bones when it actually comes to a 'game'. I was hoping the first actual dig/create genre game from a real developer with actual experience/money would at least start with the basics (combat, rpg elements, resource collecting).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, what can you actually do in this, because those bullet points aren't getting me that excited... Is this just a stripped down minecraft creative mode with a lego theme and kinda pretty default graphics?

Cuz' I need shit to do. Considering this is basically one of the 'fabled games' I've thought about forever, if all this is is basically a fancy map editor, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Minecraft, even in the state it's in with all the work that got put into it, is pretty bare bones when it actually comes to a 'game'. I was hoping the first actual dig/create genre game from a real developer with actual experience/money would at least start with the basics (combat, rpg elements, resource collecting).

Then this is not the game for you.

Cronee

This is the greatest thing since Minecraft itself. Why does this have to pop up on a day when I have so many real world responsibilities to take care of? ... I guess I can make the house payment tomorrow, fuck responsibility!

Framerate is terrible :(

Texture quality high, FXAA off, DoF off, shadows medium, 1080p. Goes from 60fps all the way down to 30 fps just walking around.

This is on an i5 4690k and GTX 970 with 16GB ram on windows 8.1.

I expected better :(

Edit: On and no inverted look for controller.

Top Bottom