• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Shenmue's 3 budget is a mystery, and why that's a problem."

MouldyK

Dunno how old or if it been mentioned before, but here:

Shenmue 3 is much more of a mystery, and the people behind it don't want that to change that any time soon.

"For right now, all I can tell you is that YS Net has been looking at other sources of funding and we're preparing other sources of funding, so for the Shenmue 3 project it will be what we can source from outside plus the Kickstarter," Yu Suzuki told Polygon when asked about the budget. "But for right now that's all we can say."

We asked how dependent the project is on these outside sources of funds, and were again shut down.

So do people find it as big of a problem as others do?

Personally, i'd love more transparency as well.

Hubb

They probably don't know the total budget at this point either. This game is in its early stages.

I knew it was Kuchera from the title <3

If that's a problem for you, don't back the kickstarter. If enough people think it's a problem it fails.
Guess what, it didn't fail
done

btrboyev

The original two games cost sega 70 million back in 99-2001. That was them developing their own engine and that game breaking new ground in that age in scope.

You could make a game with similar scope to the first two games and make it modern for around half of what it costed back then. The tools are much better and they are already using an established engine.

Darksol

Fuck Polygon, seriously. Anywhere there is joy in the world, Polygon will be there to shit on it and make an issue where there is none.

PS, Polygon -- Sony. That's where the $$$ is coming from.

border

The problem is more that the scope of the entire game is a mystery. It seems unclear to me whether this is a full sized commercial release or a brief waltz through some villages in the Chinese forest.

The other problem is that they don't even intend to conclude the story. So if Shenmue 3 flops they will be right back where they started -- stuck with a cliffhanger ending forever.

I knew it was Kuchera from the title <3

If that's a problem for you, don't back the kickstarter.
done

This. People need to stop acting like we're being cheated when they have sources of funding other than KS. We want the game to be made and we want to contribute to the cost. Whether or not they get additional money elsewhere is irrelevant. The game is still getting made and backers are still getting what they want.

Kickstarter is a donation, what do they want from Ysnet other than getting the game made?

Aspiring

Oh man people are starting to really get on my nerves. Who cares. We are getting Shenmue 3. It needs our funding and Sony, as they have said and why. Drop it and move on. Why was there not this backlash towards Harmonix for Amplitude or Bloodstained??? So many people are so salty it's only on PS4 and it's really annoying.

oti

Banned
You're backing a game on Kickstarter, you are NOT an investor.
Investors get all the funding and budget details, you don't.
End of story.

Schnozberry

I think it was pretty clear from the way they went about presenting it that they wanted to use the conference PR move to guarantee the success of the Kickstarter, and then parlay that into leverage for getting the funding they actually need. 2 million was low on purpose. They wanted to break goal reaching records.

EUhHbee.png

ViciousDS

Banned
Fucking polygon..... I'm amazed there wasn't a pie chart to state budgets of the last two games with no numbers actually involved.

androvsky

When was the last time we knew for sure how much money a gaming platform holder put into any project ahead of time? Other than the Polygon documentary, that is.

gdt

The problem is more that the scope of the entire game is a mystery. It seems unclear to me whether this is a full sized commercial release or a brief waltz through some villages in the Chinese forest.

The other problem is that they don't even intend to conclude the story. So if Shenmue 3 flops they will be right back where they started -- stuck with a cliffhanger ending forever.

wait wut

Top Bottom