• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Shenmue's 3 budget is a mystery, and why that's a problem."

DorkyMohr

Banned
I guess shame on me for clicking on a Ben Kuchera article that ends with "and why that's a problem" and expecting him to explain why it's a problem.

EUhHbee.png

perfection.gif~c200

Toki767

As much as some segments of the video game player community ruin good things in the video games industry, so do companies and journalists. No wonder this industry has so much vitriol.

Arzehn

Think of it this way. The more people that fund Shenmue the more money Sony investors will be willing to put into the project.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont understand all the talk around Shenmue 3 regarding this. Like someone said earlier, we hardly know the budgets of games, so why is Shenmue 3 suddently so different in this regards? I understand if people wanted more clearity in the begining, but now we know that Sony will be supportive as well, both in terms of some funding and advertisement. What more transparency are people requesting?

Generally speaking, it also feels that someone acts like the gamers owns Shenmue 3 and that the developers are trying to "take it away" from the gamers due to the Kickstarter were done, kinda demanding that the publishers should fund everything. One even went as far as calling it for extortion. That would be like saying that publishers are doing kidnapping when they dont localize games eventhough that they can easily afford it. We cant demand what people do with their property, especially not when it comes to something like games.

"Shenmue's 3 budget is a mystery, and why that's a problem." - I'm trying to figure out where he actually talks about why it's a problem. Kuchera is a joke.

I think it's pretty obvious they won't know what kind of budget they're gonna have until the Kickstarter is over. My guess is that if they hit the $2 million baseline Sony's in for say another $10 million, if they make $4 million Sony will contribute $15 mil, and so on*. No-one's going to have a clear idea of what kind of budget they're looking at for another 30 days, so clearly Polygon jumped the gun in order to get some clicks as it's a hot topic right now.

*Numbers completely made up for demonstrative purposes.

kmax

From the article

If this is what it takes to get Shenmue 3 made, so be it; I'd rather live in a world where Shenmue 3 has a chance of being released than it being a dead project. But by not mentioning these details at all while asking fans for literally millions of dollars for a project with so much secrecy in terms of budget and funding? The whole thing begins to look a bit shaky.

Not really. Contracts need to be signed. I'm sure they're ironing out the details and negotiation and assembling the financiers right at this very moment, and with Sony behind them -- there's no need to worry. Our questions will be answered over time, but right now, it's good to know that the game is going to get made.

robot

This article only exists because everyone is getting their e3 information from everywhere else but Polygon. It's clickety clickbait.

Taker34

Banned
Never change Kuchera. I wonder what his problem is? Working part time at the biggest salt mine of his city wasn't his best idea.

I love how all of Polygon, Kuchera especially, is publically completely against gamergaters, but continue to relentlessly publish the kind of tinfoil-hat concern-trolling "OPINION: Hey GAMERS, You're getting SCREWED and you don't even know it! Please be upset." garbage that audience loves so much. Talk about cynical.

I love how all of Polygon, Kuchera especially, is publically completely against gamergaters, but continue to relentlessly publish the kind of tinfoil-hat concern-trolling "OPINIONL Hey GAMERS, You're getting SCREWED and you don't even know it! Please be upset." garbage that audience loves so much. Talk about cynical.

Kuchera and Gies can both kick rocks. They create more drama and vitriol than every "problem" in the industry they've ever written about combined.

Carbonox

Hah, Polygon is tabloid level of trash journalism. Actually, probably worse because at least tabloids relish in their bullshit. Polygon think they actually have something relevant to communicate to readers.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The kickstarter was done to help define the scope and budget.
Now at least 1 major player has stepped up to the plate.

Who cares if we don't know the budget or if Yu doesn't quite know the budget yet.
It will be definitized eventually and the game will be developed.

Frankly, I'm just excited we are getting more of the Shenmue story.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Because people kept bugging Sony and Sega about Shenmue. No one believed there was demand so Sony likely said, 'We'll see if there's demand, REAL demand, with a kickstarter and if people are serious about it or not. Put up or shut up.' Because making a new Shenmue game in 2015 is a gamble no matter what the budget.

That's it. Star Citizen did the same thing. The only difference here is that Sony is involved and as someone looking for things to sell their console with, they'll likely prevent feature creep.

The real issue is why we can't get this for Yakuza translations.

Polygon was a mistake, nothing but trash.

All Polygon articles are stupid, of course. That whole thing of, 'you're not really being a journalist or sharing educated opinions, you're just making clickbait' is patronizing and simplistic but every now and again you come across an article that has so little relevance or connection to what it's about that you end up standing there, gazing at the screen and saying "I'm just reading buzzfeed-tier articles and my time is being wasted," to a slightly bemused GAF member.

Yep. They only owe people what they've promised. That means the game and the rewards, that's it.

But can backers know the level of quality that they can expect from the game without a sense of budget? Isn't it reasonable to want better information before you plunk down money for a nonrefundable preorder of a game that's some time away?

I'm actually amazed at how many people are getting upset at the idea that would-be backers would want some transparency about what they're putting money towards.

border

Suzuki said he wants Shenmue to be a 5 game series, ideally. If necessary he believes it can be done in 4 games.

But either way, Shenmue 3 will not be the end. They will need to produce at least 1 more game.

Boke1879

We rarely know the funding of games an no publisher is ever going to give out that information. This is just looking for a fire where there is no smoke.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
border said:
The problem is more that the scope of the entire game is a mystery.
That may well be a mystery to developers as well. While there are exceptions that stick closely to initial plans - larger projects change scope(and direction) far more often than is generally known.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I would really like to know about Halo 5's budget....and U4 too so I can compare both and see which studio is more productive. It concerns me a lot. Hopefully Polygon makes an article about that - raise awareness.

nib95

Banned
He speaks as if we commonly know video game budgets, before the video game has even been made let alone after lol. It's still very early days, I'm sure a lot will change and develop as time goes on.

Top Bottom