• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Shenmue's 3 budget is a mystery, and why that's a problem."

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Oh hey, Ben Kuchera also wrote about another Kickstarter and said these words:

"Don't get mad that this silly Kickstarter is kicking ass, ask yourself what you can learn from it. Don't discount novelty and fun when it comes to projects, as people value and will pay for both things. More importantly, don't pretend that your Kickstarter itself is news. Your project is news, Kickstarter is just how you're raising money.

At this point I'd rather fund potato salad than another project that thinks personal tales of the difficulties of the industry are an effective sales pitch, and the increasingly numbers of backers to this project lead me to believe I'm not alone."

The potato salad Kickstarter is better than your crowdfunding campaign

Hugstable

Banned
lol @ how some of you are acting about Polygon just writing an opinion article. Some of the responses in here are sadly hilarious, journalists should never say anything negative or question anything anyone likes cause it seems like noone is ever able to handle it. This is getting just as bad as when Kotaku dared say something negative about Xenoblade X. But yeah keep calling to ban a site just because they said something you don't like.

Fuck off Polygon.

amazing!

"Don't get mad that this silly Kickstarter is kicking ass, ask yourself what you can learn from it. Don't discount novelty and fun when it comes to projects, as people value and will pay for both things. More importantly, don't pretend that your Kickstarter itself is news. Your project is news, Kickstarter is just how you're raising money.

At this point I'd rather fund potato salad than another project that thinks personal tales of the difficulties of the industry are an effective sales pitch, and the increasingly numbers of backers to this project lead me to believe I'm not alone."

But what was the budget for that potato salad?

_woLf

It's come to the point that I know when an article is Ben Kuchera based on the stupid clickbait sensationalist title alone.

Who CARES what the budget is or where it is coming from. Who cares if it is from Sony or from Sega or from anyone else.

The game is FINALLY HAPPENING. Quit fucking over examining it and just appreciate the fact that we are finally going to get to play Shenmue 3 for christ sake

MiguelItUp

Just comes across as click bait for the most part. I think the world is happy that it's actually happening, and wouldn't question it as long as it's still happening.

Boke1879

"For right now, all I can tell you is that YS Net has been looking at other sources of funding and we're preparing other sources of funding, so for the Shenmue 3 project it will be what we can source from outside plus the Kickstarter," Yu Suzuki told Polygon when asked about the budget. "But for right now that's all we can say."
-----------------------

The issue I suppose is that it's unclear whether the game actually has any outside funding secured, and if they're basically just hoping on the Kickstarter publicity to get them some more money.

I'm not even worried. Boyes and Adamn house pretty much covered it. Also they've been talking about this since GDC last year. I'm sure they figured out the logistics of everything. Yu was going to launch a kickstarter regardless. Sony no doubt approached them about helping them and probably promised that if they reached a certain goal they would fund X amount of dollars.

Hell I wouldn't be shocked if Sony helped fund the whole thing now lol. Boyes also said that they are going to help market the game in a big way.

At the end of the day this is nothing but a concern article. It's funded and the game is getting made. End of story. People that wanted to back this project did so and I'm sure feel no regrets doing so. Those that don't like this don't have to support it. It's that simple.

Kuchera pls

lol @ how some of you are acting about Polygon just writing an opinion article. Some of the responses in here are sadly hilarious, journalists should never say anything negative or question anything anyone likes cause it seems like noone is ever able to handle it. This is getting just as bad as when Kotaku dared say something negative about Xenoblade X. But yeah keep calling to ban a site just because they said something you don't like.
It's not just that we didn't like it.
It's that some of what they write is 100% clickbait.
This being one of them.

Zomba13

Sony has already stated they will be funding Shenmue 3 officially.
Polygon is looking for clicks.

Yeah Sony has straight up said they will be helping to fund the game and that the Kickstarter is really more of an interest gauge to prove it is viable. They have the $2 million goal, they reach that, it shows people are in fact interested in this, that money plus the Sony money go together to make the game.

It also shouldn't matter, what should matter is it is getting made (it's reached the funding goal so will get that money and the money from Sony).

Gestault

Bruh
Also, I want whatever you're smoking

I'm saying if the response by YS Net wasn't that Sony is providing the big slice of funding they're talking about, it means they're probably not providing that part of the funding. Also, the article is written really...petulantly. Kuchera isn't sounding on-the-level here, but I won't take "Sony is funding Shenmue 3" at face value unless the party who would know that gives that answer.

Shenmue 3 is going to be fine
Sony is going to fund it

I never suggested otherwise. You're batting at your own imagination here.

Spaghetti

EUhHbee.png
K.O

really though, to paraphrase duckroll from the kickstarter thread, it sucks that after so many years of people saying the series is dead and it'll never happen, that people are still trying to shit on fans of shenmue when the next game is finally going to exist

kuchera article, lol

asking about a final budget when not even two days into a crowd funding effort is dumb. i expect those details are only going to be properly hashed out once they have a total.

polygon is such utter rubbish.

sigh, here we go again
Well I'm sorry but merely asking questions they can't get answers to is proof of nothing and its certainly not investigative reporting. I know Polygon thinks they are the pillars of journalistic integrity but they've proven time and time again they're just the National Enquirer of video games. They think they smell smoke and that's enough evidence to launch this story and hint at a possible scandal. Its pathetic.

amazing!

Are you seriously defending a shitty clickbait Kuchera "opinion" article
seriously

Struct09

It doesn't matter that it's a mystery and we all know that it will cost much more than $2 million to make. I'm not a Shenmue fan myself, but if I was all I would be worried about is receiving a quality game.

kmax

amazing!

Developers and publishers do not disclose budgets unless they release it themselves. The fact that Polygon is casting doubt over something as unremarkable as this is well....remarkable.

Boke1879

amazing!

No one is saying that. But Polygon is constantly putting out these less than quality articles. When do we EVER know the budget of a game? Why didn't he say this about Bloodstained or Mighty No. 9?

And why did he defend that damn potato salad Kickstarter?

amazing!

Polygon will keep writing crap articles and we will keep criticizing them. I guess this is how it will go.

And I edited that out, but thanks for your appreciation.

MaxiLive

I don't care where the funding comes from and who is paying in the background. I'm a consumer all I care about is the final product and my interest in it! Backing the Kickstarter has granted me the final product same a pre-order would. So what goes on behind the scene doesn't matter all the much to me.

Hell it doesn't seem to for matter for many other games as they might get slated or praised nevermind who has worked on them and what conditions were happening behind the scenes.

The only grey area of all of this is the Kickstarter and from a consumer point of view I can't see why this makes a blind bit of difference? No one is profiteering off the money made through Kickstarter and without it no one could invest blindly into Shenmue 3. Then from a consumer if you Kickstarter the game or not you are still going to get the same product at the end of the day and if you did help Kickstart it, you are helping to create an even better product!

McDougles

lol @ how some of you are acting about Polygon just writing an opinion article.

Some of the responses in here are sadly hilarious, journalists should never say anything negative or question anything anyone likes cause it seems like noone is ever able to handle it.

This is getting just as bad as when Kotaku dared say something negative about Xenoblade X.

But yeah keep calling to ban a site just because they said something you don't like.

f7uS0MK.jpg

You're just misrepresenting criticism while attacking people, not their opinion. Please try harder next time.

I'd be ok with this article, as long as they also write an article for every other announced game where we don't publicly know what the final budget is and where all the funding streams are coming from.

ironcreed

Banned
Sony shows the kickstarter on their own stage and allows fans the chance to help get it off the ground, but it's a problem that they are also involved to whatever degree? Seems like it should have been obvious. And besides, were it not for them, this game would still be a pipe dream.

Dartastic

My thought process - "Hrm, this might be interesting. Let's take a look at this."

*opens link*

"Opinion: Ben Kuchera"

*closes link*

Boke1879

People expect much greater transparency from Kickstarter titles, because those people have already taken consumers' money and are expectecd to be responsible with it.

And we have transparency. That doesn't mean we are obligated to know how much this game will cost. No KS that I know has ever disclosed that amount.

People expect much greater transparency from Kickstarter titles, because those people have already taken consumers' money and are expectecd to be responsible with it.

People decide to back a Kickstarter based on the information available.
The relevant information here is "A new Shenmue is happening and Sony is supporting it in some capacity"

That's more than enough for most people, as we can see

They have an agenda. Not sure what it is. But they have one.

Polygon are operating in desperation mode. Their announcement of layoffs last year as well as a complete abandonment of their features-driven editorial philosophy (ie: the great hope the entire fucking site was founded upon) came on the same day that the WSJ revealed PewDiePie just made $4 million dollars last year.

The vidya game news aggregator sites have seen their audience dwindle year-over-year for the past few years, and instead of trying to make pivots towards the new reality, which is that streamers and social media have made them practically obsolete, they’ve leaned heavily into manufacturing controversy for the most core, jaded readers in order to try and stop the bleeding. In the case of Kotaku and Polygon, many of their patented “news with added snark” articles are directly sourced from whatever is the most popular outrage topic on Gaf on any given day.

Like I mentioned before, it really must eat people like Kuchera alive that while gamergaters disgust him, they actually make up a large part of the dwindling core audience they have to increasingly cater to. There is financial incentive for Kuchera to basically repost outrage threads and drum up controversy (real or imagined) using the age-old "Devs and pubs are trying to screw you! We're your public advocate, average gamer!" narratives. That's what their easily-outraged audience wants; enemies, and the idea that there are things happening in secret that are going to destroy gaming, easy pariahs that they can all rally against. That's why they've pushed the "preorders are bad for the industry" slant for the past couple of years, because waiting for metacritic and/or the big traditional press reviews of a game is one of the last real arrows in their quiver. They want to make it seem like they're some kind of video game consumer watchdogs, but really it all comes back to their almighty god, the pageview.

Gestault

Sony shows the kickstarter on their own stage and allows fans the chance to help get it off the ground, but it's a problem that they are also involved to whatever degree? Seems like it should have been obvious. And besides, were it not for them, this game would still be a pipe dream.

Is there a single post in this thread suggesting it's a problem that Sony is involved?

Nobody forced people to fund Shenmue. If the general populace were so concerned it wouldn't have smashed records. The concerns I've heard about this Kickstarter are incredibly naïve and baseless.

VariantX

Shenmue's budget is a problem, but you know, there was a much, much bigger problem for a lot of people. The fact that there was no Shenmue III and no sense of closure for those who completed Shenmue 1 & 2 until the kickstarter was announced at the Sony conference. Polygon should probably go and find out what the budget is, and then get back to us on that later.

Top Bottom