• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Gears of War Xbox 360 vs. Xbox One Ultimate Edition gameplay comparison

Phazon

Some things like the tiles on the ground in the remaster look way too 'clean' for a Gears game. I like the 360 version more tbh. (some things look better in the Remaster, some don't, weird)

I really like the art-style tweak in the ultimate edition. Looks nice, less busy and just cleaner overall (helped by the IQ obviously too).

WoolyNinja

Why do some textures look better on the 360? Its almost like they changed textures completely in some spots to worst textures?

Laughed at the player capturing the footage getting killed by a grenade.

It's looking a bit more brown but that 60fps looks sooooooooooo much better when compared side by side.

Alienous

I guess the water in the canal wouldn't be flowing like it would in the Xbox 360 version but it does look a lot less lively in the remastered Xbox One version.

Eggbok

You like the black crush?

Those crushed blacks.

Jdy0UoX.png

ShogunX

Assuming the original game gets added to the BC list (it's on the recent BC picture) I'm glad they changed the look of the new version. If it's £30 in the UK i'm in.

pswii60

Why do some textures look better on the 360? Its almost like they changed textures completely in some spots to worst textures?

And worse lighting in some instances too? And I'm not digging the new water at all. It doesn't look too hot to me, although the jump to 60fps is worthy at least.
I like the grittier look of the original.

This one look straight up bad in the new one.
ILu74nU.png

FcGuRBU.jpg
Perfect example. They've added the fancy waves etc, but they don't add anything to this environment. The sunset colour palette and lighting ambience on the water is leagues ahead in the original. Also, erm... where has the landscape gone on the horizon? Surely I'm missing something there?
Genuinely thought the X360 looked better aesthetically. o_O
Ultimately I agree. I feel this comes down to art > tech. And the art design is simply better in the original - IMO of course. Just not liking the direction this is taking at all. I'd rather they'd just have ported the original and cleaned it up slightly, instead of messing with it like this.

Water looks indeed worse and I'm not sure that I like to much the general tweaks made.
It seems to me that the original art looked more coherent.

Mendax

what on earth is that texture?? looks like that game of thrones disease

edit: has to be some kind of alternate character right

I think they should have kept some of that gritty tone in the Ultimate edition. With the comparison i feel as if the textures were replaced like a cleaning made came in and removed some shininess..

Also, that water in the 360 looked nice, but the new water in the Ultimate edition seems to react to physics/bullets better? idk .

kamakazi5

They need to meet somewhere in the middle with the lighting. The XB1 version is way too bright, it's supposed to be somewhat dark and gloomy.

Top Bottom