• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Gears of War Xbox 360 vs. Xbox One Ultimate Edition gameplay comparison

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I have to confess that while looking at this on my phone I was thinking the following:

- "Oh, the crushed blacks on the bone (left) look way too much"
- "The additions to the textures look nice (left)"
- "oh shit, the right one is the bone version. Goddamit I'm stupid"

Which means I like less crushed blacks and more real, but otherwise the new version looks less gritty.

I assume they still have a lot of time to fix this and the version is just work in progress? Needs more rubble.

Gestault

This sort of applies to my overall impression of the comparison here: If they're putting the energy into getting shot-for-shot equivalents in both versions, why in goodness' name wouldn't they choose the Marcus model in the XB1 remaster? I'm in the beta, and I can say from hands-on time, the footage used for the XB1 version doesn't seem indicative of what I see playing it, though I can't pin down exactly why.

There are good looking pictures out there but this comparison made the remake look really bad, especially the ocean footage looks out of place. I hope this is only the map and not a regular occurrence (I only want to play the sp anyway)

shinnn

Really OP? Just a link and nothing else?

The video was even 480p when he posted.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-gears-of-war-ultimate-beta

Aside from resolution, the most noticeable improvement comes from the lighting. More in line with the brighter look seen in Gears 3, this remake delivers a softer, more subtle hue, something that is perhaps down to the much improved Unreal Lightmass technology - an addition made to UE3 years after the release of the original Gears. Water rendering is also much improved with three dimensional waves crashing up against the map instead of the flat texture used in the original game. Texture streaming is also faster than Xbox 360 on first load just as one would expect at this point.

Other nice touches include added cube map reflections to various water puddles, massively improved foliage quality, and additional clutter around the world. Shadow quality is also enhanced thanks to higher resolution shadow maps and the inclusion of ambient occlusion. A brand new menu system with higher resolution fonts and a cleaned up HUD top off the package nicely.

Totally opposite of what we are reading here.

What's your source on the 30 fps for single player? The official website and statements I've seen in PR haven't suggested there's any difference.

I think there was interview or stream where they said they were targeting 30 fps. I didn't watch it, just saw it mentioned by someone in another Gears thread

The site does seem misleading if that's the case, it just says 60 fps in general

Those crushed blacks.

Jdy0UoX.png

WTF? :O

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Umm this looks more like a Demaster rather then a Remaster, WTF?
And I thought SH Collection was bad, at least it's 60fps the though.

I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the "brighter" appearance. A lot of the maps in the original Gears were too dark and monotone, I sometimes had no idea what was going on in some of the more cramped spaces. There's a lot more contrast here. Obviously, this really more of an MP complaint, I can see why its an issue in the campaign.

That water though... yikes. I can only hope its an old build.

Haven't played Gears of War since the original, but why does Dom look like a lizard now instead of a human?

Edit: Yeah the 360 version looks better

shandy706

Textures are definitely higher res in the remaster, but I don't know what happened to the water..LOL.

Also, this is all from the multiplayer Beta vs 360 right?

This isn't near what the single player is getting makeover wise I don't think.

Things are too bright too.

One thing I do consider positive, outside of higher res textures....is the fact that EVERYTHING in Gears on the 360 was shiny. The ground, the buildings, the rocks, your player, stone walls..everything was shiny. They got rid of a lot of the "shine/wet" look, although it needs to stay in some spots.

Zareka

Uhhhh I think I'll wait for Gears 1 backwards compatibility. The single player isn't even 60fps so I can't see much of a reason to get this if I'm only interested in single player. Quick edit: THAT SAID, this is still the beta I guess so I'll wait and see.

facelike

I get the new lighting feature of the unreal engine they used but it doesn't look as atmospheric. It's like everyone decided to changed all the light bulbs to fresh ones right before the alien attack. Some dedicated janitors out there.

The water on the new one looks funny because there is no splashing of the water hitting the pillars holding up the deck. Small thing but it doesn't look right.

How much time till this is out for them to fix things?

Don't even see the point of this being "remastered" already, and it's fairly dated game now after the years of shooters and 3rd person cover shooten games.

Hoje0308

Banned
I definitely prefer the aesthetic of the original, but what the video really does for me is once again show how much better a game can look at 60 frames.

Man, it's looking rough. The 60fps will be huge, no doubt... but the overall aesthetic shift is ruining the look of the game. There's no cohesiveness.

The game looks good and runs really smooth, but these differences in art direction really stand out. That shot everyone is posting looks way better on 360, without a doubt.

shandy706

Don't even see the point of this being "remastered" already, and it's fairly dated game now after the years of shooters and 3rd person cover shooten games.

It still has better TPS mechanics than anything else we have on current-gen.

I tried the beta out for a couple days this weekend. I'm still very much a single player person with the series, the multi doesn't do it for me. I did have fun chainsawing people though..lol.

Qwell

And this is only a remaster of the first one correct? I think they would have been better off simply doing an upscale version of the original 3 instead of a full updated artwork and character models for just the first game.

The games looked fine for the most part on the 360, just give us native 1080p rendering at 60fps and call it a day. Heck charge $60 since you are including all 3 games instead of just 1, I just recently played the first one on PC again so I'll be skipping this.

GavinUK86

I tried the beta out for a couple days this weekend. I'm still very much a single player person with the series, the multi doesn't do it for me. I did have fun chainsawing people though..lol.

I've always hated Gears MP too, it's just a roll and shotgun fest.

omonimo

Banned

Mechanic seems absolutely... standard. What exactly it's better to other TPS in the market? I don't get it.

What are people complaining about it looks better? The 360 version looks pretty good to begin with but the new looks great.

Was funny when that guy got grenaded during the test.

Fbh

At the end of the day the 60fps will still make it the superior version.

But yeah, in terms of art direction and atmosphere I like the 360 version better. The X1 just look too clean, and the fact some areas and textures look arguably worse is very weird.
Some artistical changes are also weird, the water in canals might be more realistic on the X1 but it looke better with that current on 360

shandy706

Mechanic seems absolutely... standard. What exactly it's better to other TPS in the market? I don't get it.

Then you haven't played it..especially the more recent ones, and played other TPSs to compare it to.

Simply moving from cover to cover in multiple ways for one thing....and that's insanely important. Enough that it's the only thing I need to list.

I guess Sniper III is the closest on current gen and MG isn't bad either, although they're more stealth oriented.. We really need more TPSs.

Peltz

Hmm....I guess I'm the only person that prefers the Xbox One version.

The original look of the game always looked very messy to me with its shiny surfaces and drab colors.

omonimo

Banned
Then you haven't played it..especially the more recent ones, and played other TPSs to compare it to.

Simply moving from cover to cover in multiple ways for one thing....and that's insanely important. Enough that it's the only thing I need to list.
There are TPS which did pratically the same. Even RE6 :/

Top Bottom