• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Gears of War Xbox 360 vs. Xbox One Ultimate Edition gameplay comparison

Pretty bad. I don't get why they'd change the ground textures and that awful new look for the water. It looked so good before. Everything looks too clean and bright now. I just want that gritty atmosphere back. At least it seems like the single player will have it down a little better.

Got to play it last weekend though and had a good time. The game overall does look good and that 60fps makes it so much better.

manfestival

looks like the 360 version generally looks better than the xbone version. Very interesting approach but im sure the xbone version looks miles ahead in person

xbone version seems flatter and less interesting

VinFTW

So, it has to either look good or play well? Is it too much to ask for both?

Completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

Read it again.

looks like the 360 version generally looks better than the xbone version. Very interesting approach but im sure the xbone version looks miles ahead in person

xbone version seems flatter and less interesting

http://kotaku.com/lets-compare-gears-of-war-on-xbox-360-vs-xbox-one-1711500523

"flatter and less interesting"

"looks like the 360 version generally looks better than than the xbone version"

Holy hell, I'm done

Shin-Ra

Not worried about the sea. If you have time to look out to sea and moan about waves, you deserve to have someone sneak up on you and ram their Gnasher up your ass.
I can only imagine what a non-gamer would think reading this.

This is obviously a huge technical upgrade and I'm not particularly nostalgic about the original art direction so it's overall a very clear upgrade.

image_gears_of_war_ultimate_edition-28653-3274_0023.jpg
image_gears_of_war_ultimate_edition-28653-3274_0024.jpg

They're clearly going for a warmer, more earthly aesthetic.

On the flip side I did like how Halo:CE looked so Anniversary Edition was a bit of a shitter.

As long as the MP runs at 60, who cares? You're going to stop and gawk at the water in a MP match? That IS where those screens came from.

Too dark, not dark enough, lost it's atmosphere, etc etc. The remaster is a step above the 360 version. Especially considering it's 60fps.

I really don't see what there is to complain about, especially from someone who won't even bother to play the MP to understand how much better it is to have the game running at 60fps. ESPECIALLY Gears 1, despite the lighting changes or water effects.
You're right, just because it's 60fps we can excuse any legit concerns. Why not just make it look like this?

431228-blindfire2.jpg

Some changes are clearly superior but I think adding too much light in some areas ruins the mood they were going for.

leeh

Gears 1 was the game which got mocked the most for being brown.

They've injected colour into the series and people "prefer the original". That Kotaku article shows it best, I don't know how people could look at that and think the 360 looks better.

VinFTW

You're right, just because it's 60fps we can excuse any legit concerns. Why not just make it look like this?

431228-blindfire2.jpg

Some changes are clearly superior but I think adding too much light in some areas ruins the mood they were going for.

uh huh

Wait Single Player Campaign is not 60fps? Is this a joke?
So?

UC4 is doing the same thing. Pushing fidelity in SP w/ 30fps and keeping MP 60fps.

Even if some materials have been updated, I prefer the 360 version better mood better !.. disappointing

Not a buy!

How can you comment on mood w/o playing it first? They're screens.

Gestault

Don't even see the point of this being "remastered" already, and it's fairly dated game now after the years of shooters and 3rd person cover shooten games.

It has some components that have aged, but on a pretty universal level, it's a better third-person action title (both in single-player and multi-player offerings) than major contemporary releases. Add to that the nostalgia factor of happening a decade after release, and it makes sense.

They've injected colour into the series and people "prefer the original". That Kotaku article shows it best, I don't know how people could look at that and think the 360 looks better.

Goalpost, meet movers. Movers, meet goalpost.

I do think the water looks hilariously too vibrant, but beyond that, everything else looks like a decent upgrade ESPECIALLY the campaign.

Wait Single Player Campaign is not 60fps? Is this a joke?

Campaign seems to be 30fps with CG intros what not. Another game recently announced the 30/Campaign and 60/Multiplayer split and everyone seemed fine with it. So what exactly is the problem here?

im fine with the subtle graphical changes but I was really bummed out to hear that this game didn't incorporate the evolved movement mechanics from the other games and that some old gun balancing issues were put back in, deliberately.

leeh

I do think the water looks hilariously too vibrant, but beyond that, everything else looks like a decent upgrade ESPECIALLY the campaign.
I do agree with the water, it looks a bit better in-game but it still looks off.

Yeap, can't wait to run through the campaign. WIth it at 30fps, I hope it's pretty. I can't wait to run through act 2 on it.

XGoldenboyX

uh huh

So?

UC4 is doing the same thing. Pushing fidelity in SP w/ 30fps and keeping MP 60fps.

How can you comment on mood w/o playing it first? They're screens.

Saw the video comparison! And I dont like the new Mood they are going for.. I like the original looks much better .. even 60 fps .. who cares!

Game4life

Banned

Campaign seems to be 30fps with CG intros what not. Another game recently announced the 30/Campaign and 60/Multiplayer split and everyone seemed fine with it. So what exactly, is the problem here?

This is a last gen game. 1080 + 60 fps is a minimum that I expect from remasters. Also I dont know what game you are talking about. If it is UC4 , it is a current gen game which is why no one has a problem. UC collection is 1080 and 60fps for the campaigns with improved graphics and I cannot wait to play the awesome nepal and locomotion chapters in 60fps. I was hoping Gears campaign is 60fps as well. I think it very well might be and that this is a miscommunication. No way they wont make the campaign 60 fps. That does not make any sense.

shinnn

Saw the video comparison! And I dont like the new Mood they are going for.. I like the original looks much better .. even 60 fps .. who cares!

So you prefer to make your buy decision over a video than playing the game itself. Or do you not have a XB1 to play the beta?

edit: video that is part of a article that says the XB1 improved everything.

is was being mocked by people who either didn't play or didn't play it for very long. my Gears friends have always professed a love for the old darker art direction. something that was lost for the remainder of the series.

angelic

Banned
you can turn down the colour on your tv to get the older, greyer look. its not ideal but ive played a lot of the beta, it looks way better than eurogamers video

the water flat out sucks though on the remake

leeh

is was being mocked by people who either didn't play or didn't play it for very long. my Gears friends have always professed a love for the old darker art direction.
Just because Gridlock has more colour and a funny looking sea, doesn't mean it suddenly has no dark direction. I've been a Gears fan from the first, I just don't see an issue with this.

Considering how well it runs in-game, minding it's beta issues. Mind I also add the excellent servers, I was just playing on a 17ms ping. God bless ho host Gears 1.

It's not like suddenly the Kryll act in the game will disappear now will it? Give it more colour..

Game4life

Banned
Everybody does this, shitty, but Rod DID make the distinction on the E3 stage.

Then it is an extremely poor decision I think. Having campaign locked at 30 is absolutely nuts. The appeal of the remaster is gone. How can they release a last gen game at 30fps? With GTA I can understand but for a linear game with just a graphical overhaul this seems extremely disappointing.

MaximumJohnny

Neo Member
Clearer version of the same scene everyone's passing around:
gearsUEcomp.jpg

The water does look like arse but you'd have to be trying rather hard to say the new visuals are less detailed. It's nowhere near as dark as the original, and details are easier to make out the darker an image is, but that doesn't mean there's less of them.

Looking at Kotaku's images from the campaign they've paired back the visuals to ensure a solid 60fps in multiplayer, like Guerrilla did with Killzone: SF. The singleplayer screens look darker and more detailed than the beta screens and footage we're looking at just now.

Looks like different character models between MP and SP too.

Game4life

Banned
it seems thats what they want people to think

Extremely shady. The store description makes it seem players can enjoy everything in 60 fps. Judging by the responses here it looks like I am not the only one who thought the single player campaign was also 60 fps.

Extremely shady. The store description makes it seem players can enjoy everything in 60 fps. Judging by the responses here it looks like I am not the only one who thought the single player campaign was also 60 fps.

Yeah it's very misleading if not true, explicitly says "everything" at 1080/60

I have to figure it's 60 for campaign and the comments about multiplayer weren't meant to imply that campaign wasnt

Venom Fox

Banned
Clearer version of the same scene everyone's passing around:
gearsUEcomp.jpg

The water does look like arse but you'd have to be trying rather hard to say the new visuals are less detailed. It's nowhere near as dark as the original, and details are easier to make out the darker an image is, but that doesn't mean there's less of them.

Looking at Kotaku's images from the campaign they've paired back the visuals to ensure a solid 60fps in multiplayer, like Guerrilla did with Killzone: SF. The singleplayer screens look darker and more detailed than the beta screens and footage we're looking at just now.

Looks like different character models between MP and SP too.
The visuals are less detailed though, look at the railing and the peir (geometry dumbed down).

And for everybody saying that it's ok that the single player is 30fps because UC4 is your wrong.
Uncharted 4 is 30fps to push the physics and visuals to the max on current gen hardware.

Hell even the UC collection is 60fps with updated visuals and lighting system.

This is a 10 year old game, there's no excuse!

Even so,I'm still gonna buy it!

I'm one of the biggest Gears fanboys around, but even I can't excuse this. Looks like a rush job; the whole aesthetic of Gears is ruined in the remake. How do you have missing geometry? I'll reserve judgment until I've seen campaign footage, but imo mp has been butchered to preserve 60fps.

I'm one of the biggest Gears fanboys around, but even I can't excuse this. Looks like a rush job; the whole aesthetic of Gears is ruined in the remake. How do you have missing geometry? I'll reserve judgment until I've seen campaign footage, but imo mp has been butchered to preserve 60fps.

I wouldn't call it a rush job when they basically remade the game from scratch.

And yeah the Uncharted 4 comparison is bogus, that's a brand new current gen with some of the best visuals ever seen game running at 30, not a remake of a 10 year old game.

The Uncharted collection comparison also isn't fair because that's essentially just an upres of a PS3 game, Gears Ultimate seems to be somewhere in the middle of last and current gen

SP at 30 fps and MP at 60 fps is probably done that way to set expectations for Gears of War 4, IMO. They can also push the graphics a bit in the remake as well.

VinFTW

Yeah it's very misleading if not true, explicitly says "everything" at 1080/60

I have to figure it's 60 for campaign and the comments about multiplayer weren't meant to imply that campaign wasnt

Oh... I see you guys are gonna try and make this a thing.

Rod went up on stage and explicitly said 60fps in MP.

Store is probably a typo.

I wouldn't call it a rush job when they basically remade the game from scratch.

And yeah the Uncharted 4 comparison is bogus, that's a brand new current gen with some of the best visuals ever seen game running at 30, not a remake of a 10 year old game.

The Uncharted collection comparison also isn't fair because that's essentially just an upres of a PS3 game, Gears Ultimate seems to be somewhere in the middle of last and current gen

LMAO, okay.

So, complete remasters can't run 30 despite it looking really nice?

Only okay when UC does it?

Holy hell guys.

NinjaBoiX

The 360 version looks so much better, I had to keep checking the watermark in the corner to see if I was watching the right footage.

And I don't just mean "I prefer the look", it actually seems more technically accomplished from a graphical perspective.

What an awful remaster, they butchered it.

The water man...

E8UyM2I.png

Top Bottom