• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Gears of War Xbox 360 vs. Xbox One Ultimate Edition gameplay comparison

Kibbles

The original in 'Vibrant' mode was nice, was disappointed when it wasn't there the first thing I looked at in the options menu. Kinda made things shine.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am a big fan of remasters, but they should preserve the original games as much as possible and only improve the technical aspects. Art style and models should stay the same.

I like the grittier look of the original.

This one look straight up bad in the new one.
ILu74nU.png

FcGuRBU.jpg
CHRIST! That isn't acceptable at all!

Haven't seen it in motion but the pics do not look good. The darkness/atmosphere made a world of difference.

Itll shape up by release, though. I have little doubt.

Pandy

360 version looks better in most areas. What a world we live in.
Agreed. The 60fps will make a huge difference in play, but artistically the 'Ultimate' version falls somewhat short of the original.

I say that as someone who didn't like the original art in the first place, so perhaps people who love the look of the original will love this even more?

To me, the changes in lighting and color warmth detract a lot from the original aesthetic. There's plenty of breadth between harsh, crushed blacks and a sunny summer day and I think they've swung the pendulum a bit too far. The water is simultaneously more detailed and worse looking. I'm not quite sure how they pulled that off. Most of the texture work is comparable between the two, in some areas the lighting makes the new textures look aesthetically worse. It seems they spent a lot of time on little details - like the broken glass in some of the windows that were previously just empty frames - while not actually improving the overall graphical presentation an entire gen forward.

Of course, I'm still overwhelmingly disappointed they chose to only include the first game. The entire point of a remaster like this, especially as a precursor to a new iteration in the series (i.e. Uncharted Collection, Master Chief Collection), is to bring new customers up to speed in the franchise or give existing fans a refresher course and get them excited and ready for the next mainline game. Just the first game seems like either poor market research or laziness (from a publishing perspective, not the developers). And judging by the quality of the images and videos shown so far, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Griss

Wow, it looks like they botched the visuals big time. 360 version looks way better from colour tone to textures.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The 360 version actually looks better most places. They probably made it worse in order to achieve 60 fps.

Yudoken

I'm so glad that Gears was available on pc too, don't like the remaster at all.
Especially shooting into the water looks way worse in the remaster than on the old version

I think the beta looks great and I wasn't thrown off at all with the art. It looks like the Gears I remember but without the black crush. I guess it's easy to cherry pick some bad changes, but overall I think it's a drastic improvement. I think there was a great comparison thread a few days ago with image sliders to see the difference. Not sure where to find it, though

Hollow

Some parts of that vid look better on the 360 version.

Anyone else notice the lack of lighting coming from the muzzle flash on the Xbox One version at 3:26?

Paz

What the hell happened to the lighting and environment materials/shaders, sure it's high res/clean but it's all so flat now and objects feel really disconnected from each other.

Caronte

I like the old one more. The textures are worse and all of that but the atmosphere is way better.

Edit: And yes, those waves are awful.

Ahasverus

You know, what I take from this video s that Gears of War was a game ahead of its time. It's almost 10 years old isn't it?

I think they should have kept some of that gritty tone in the Ultimate edition. With the comparison i feel as if the textures were replaced like a cleaning made came in and removed some shininess..

Also, that water in the 360 looked nice, but the new water in the Ultimate edition seems to react to physics/bullets better? idk .

Aye... in that static screenshot the sea looks kind of weird - but it animates quite nicely in the video. The gun shooting into the water later on is much nicer.

There's some much sharper/improved textures in the new one, but some places where it just looks "too bright" as others have said.

It goes just remind you of what a graphical showcase the 360 version was though.

scitek

Yeah, the original's color grading was actually a huge part of the atmosphere. It's totally gone in the remaster, which changes the feel of it considerably. Not a fan of that decision, even if you can see easier.

Change for changes sake is rarely good.

Also, they need to fix the water fast. Both the ocean view and the water pools throughout the level just look bad.

Agreed. The 60fps will make a huge difference in play, but artistically the 'Ultimate' version falls somewhat short of the original.

I say that as someone who didn't like the original art in the first place, so perhaps people who love the look of the original will love this even more?

I thought the remaster is 30 fps?

Raide

60fps is pure sex for this.

Some of the textures in the 360 version I would just want them to upgrade, instead they have swapped some right out.

Not worried about the sea. If you have time to look out to sea and moan about waves, you deserve to have someone sneak up on you and ram their Gnasher up your ass.

Maybe the Vivid settings is on and that is why it looks a bit more colourful?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Watch the vid - the animation makes a huge difference.

It looks like shit. Water looks and behaves nothing like that.

The old version is much better looking.

I've seen screenshots where the remaster looks much better, with added color. But this video was the opposite for me, and instead of a remaster that's superior in every facet, there's quite a few spots where I prefer the original.
For $40, my interest has waned. Maybe when it's $20.

Top Bottom