• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

Planet

It's not a given that it actually uses any different amount of powers between the two versions.
Until we have professionally measured results (a $10 thingie you put between the wall and your PS4 does not count, BTW), we can extrapolate.

Sony has proven time and again that they can reduce power usage with hardware revisions (of the PS3). Each model, and there were plenty, used less and less power, roughly as much as they said it would.

What makes you think Sony would outright lie about a rather tiny 8% reduction this time?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Until we have professionally measured results (a $10 thingie you put between the wall and your PS4 does not count, BTW), we can extrapolate.

Sony has proven time and again that they can reduce power usage with hardware revisions (of the PS3). Each model, and there were plenty, used less and less power, roughly as much as they said it would.

What makes you think Sony would outright lie about a rather tiny 8% reduction this time?

In case people did not see these a couple of weeks back...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/06/new-ps4-model-with-1tb-hard-drive-coming-according-to-fcc/

PlayStation 4 Model No. CUH-1215B will sport a 1TB hard drive as standard equipment as opposed to the 500GB hard drive on the CUH-1215A, according to documents unearthed by DualShockers. That would be the first official storage capacity increase for the PS4, but users have been able to easily upgrade the system's default storage with any serial ATA 2.5" hard drive since launch. Microsoft started offering an Xbox One with a 1TB hard drive last year.

In addition to the upgraded hard drive, the new PS4 models also feature a 230W 2.3-0.95A power supply, compared to the 250W 2.5-1.15A power supply on the last model. That should help a bit with the system's active power draw, which can consume up to 150W in the middle of an intense game. The new design is also slightly lighter than the existing PS4, down from 2.8 kg to 2.5 kg, according to the documents.

A second rather evident change is in the power source. The new models’s power unit generates 230 W, while the old model was rated 250 W. The amperage also changed from 2.5-1.15 A to 2.3-0.95 A. The voltage range and frequency remained the same.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm saying just because there is a 8% reduction in the PSU doesn't mean the actual power consumption is reduced by 8%.

I didn't say it couldn't be higher or lower. But anyone can check that 250 to 230 is 8%, not everyone can check actual power consumption.

I'm pretty sure the cost of the device doesn't matter in that space, but rather the accuracy.

About the $10 devices the problem with those cheaper devices is the milliwatt accuracy in low power situations.

I don't see the relevance about that when we're talking about the PS4 that plays games.

Planet

not everyone can check actual power consumption.
In fact, no one can. Until the device is in people's hands.
I'm pretty sure the cost of the device doesn't matter in that space, but rather the accuracy.
Because it wasn't obvious enough: I consider those cheap devices too inaccurate to be of discussion value.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
In fact, no one can. Until the device is in people's hands.

Because it wasn't obvious enough: I consider those cheap devices too inaccurate to be of discussion value.
And none of the points were addressed.

But yeah, keep up the snobbish attitude about power usage monitors that have accuracy problems in the sub 1 watt range for a device that currently consumes about 130 Watt under load. Extremely relevant objection.

Planet

I have seen much higher inaccuracy with those, but whatever.

In other news, an 8% reduction of the power supply capacity could also mean 20% less power consumed. This is just as accurate a statement as your "maybe none".

Paganmoon

Just got a mail about 1TB console:

GaCDzU5.png

Looks like it's still the glossy one though.

HYDE

Banned
The PS4 slim is going to be crazy.

It is perfect the size it is...just add a PS3/PS2/PS1 inside as parts get smaller and cheaper.

Potentially sell millions more for those features alone.

I still dream of the day I can play all my Playstation games wirelessly and on one system.

Basically, just in time for the masses.

Will be interesting to see how they are getting the power gains. Looks nice. I won't be getting one anytime soon though.

Tetranet

As someone who is on his 6th ps4, I'll tell you. Firstly, I will say that each ps4 I owned was extremely well taken care of, in a wide open space, laid horizontal, and was kept as dust free as a fairly OCD person can keep it. I'll also note my luck with this console is an exception and not the rule in my belief. 1st console received as a gift right after Christmas and got loud a few months after owning it. Got jet engine loud pretty constantly especially during TLOU and Bloodborne. These for the remainder of this story are the standard I used. Sent 1st console for "repair" and received #2 a couple weeks later, only to get a console that smelled like an ashtray was dumped inside it, and dust blowing out the back right out of the box, and was also jet engine loud. Did as much research as possible in to this since now #2 was crap as well. Saw a lot of complaints online but also saw just as many people claiming their systems were quiet even while playing TLOU and Bloodborne. I decided to eat the cost and traded #2 off at GameStop for #3, which was manufactured March 2015 and had a bad HDD out of the box. It clicked like a mofo and everything lagged. Didn't wait around to test fan noise and exchanged #3 for #4. This console seemed quieter but by a small degree. During this process I continued to do research thinking surely it can't be like this there are people who say their ps4 is quiet damnit. Then I stumbled on a post from someone who got curious about the APU not connecting completely to the heatsink causing the thermistor not to be able to tell the true temp of the APU. What he did was apply light pressure to the top of the console just over the fan (obviously console was horizontal) and the fan spun up really fast meaning the APU was warmer than the system thought and not adequately being cooled. After a few seconds he said the fan slowed and the system got quiet. Naturally I tried it, and lo and behold same thing happened. Exchanged this system (GameStop customer service fucking rocks when it comes to hardware exchange), and same damn problem. As you guys can tell I became determined to find a quiet system well before this. So this brings us to #6.... And HOLY SHIT, a QUIET PS4. Something was completely different about this one too when it came to fan noise. ALL OTHER PS4's had what I can best describe as a whistle/whir noise that got higher as the fan revved up. You can YouTube this easily and you can hear that Jet Engine like noise. This PS4 didn't have that whir noise AT ALL. All I could hear was just the air lightly coming out of the back and I had to get close to hear even that. I made sure after long play the air was coming out fine and it definitely was so I know the fan is working just fine.

TL;DR- After many loud PS4 exchanges, finally got a quiet one. Give this story a read though, may be helpful.

It's not out of the question that there are changes in the heatsink, so at least cases like this one will no longer exist. It's likely that on average the new model will be quieter.

Chronos24

I would hope so for a lot of people's sake. I know loud consoles aren't the case for everyone but for someone who thoroughly enjoyed TLOU or other games that require your surroundings to be quiet to be fully immersed in game, a loud fan can totally take away from it.

Raistlin

Assuming the report that the I/O is in a different order is true, that means the MoBo design has changed.

It's not like they run internal wires for the I/O. It's all soldered and traced directly on the board. So logically, at least some sort of modification has occurred here.

crinale

How come old HDD covers (including limited editions) won't work on new ones, while new covers from now on will be compatible for both models?

Raistlin

How come old HDD covers (including limited editions) won't work on new ones, while new covers from now on will be compatible for both models?

I assume there was some structural change for the new PS4 model. And since they have the designs for both, they were able to make a universal cover that fits both. Obviously the original ones didn't have foreknowledge of the newer physical design.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Not much of a revision.

Next time, perhaps.

Namikaze

Hopefully my launch PS4 holds on a little bit longer. The fan is REALLY LOUD on mine, 75Db to be exact. I can't enjoy a game without a headset.

Jomjom

Banned
Now that it's all matte, I hope they finally start releasing some LEs that cover the entire console and not just the dumb cover.

Hopefully my launch PS4 holds on a little bit longer. The fan is REALLY LOUD on mine, 75Db to be exact. I can't enjoy a game without a headset.
My best bud's PS4 is just like yours! Maybe even louder. Like... One time I heard the PS4 as soon as I entered his 2000 sq. Ft home.

Planet

I am not sure what you are talking about, but the MGS V LE Console Bundle will be available in Europe and US in September, and it will include a new (CUH-1200) PS4 model.

BTA

I am not sure what you are talking about, but the MGS V LE Console Bundle will be available in Europe and US in September, and it will include a new (CUH-1200) PS4 model.

Oh, my understanding was that the model was currently Japan only? This is great news if so; clearly I should have read more carefully, oops.

EDIT: WHOOPS, the misunderstanding was that I thought this was a new bundle they just announced and not something months old.

Kinan

-Old PS4
Tomb Raider menu screen: 153 ~ 155W
Map screen: 100W

· The new PS4
Tomb Raider menu screen: 123 ~ 125W
Map screen: 80W

And less noisy overall.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
-Old PS4
Tomb Raider menu screen: 153 ~ 155W
Map screen: 100W

· The new PS4
Tomb Raider menu screen: 123 ~ 125W
Map screen: 80W

And less noisy overall.
Yep it's finally time to bite.

Top Bottom