• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2015

Nairume

Banned
Personally, I think the 3DS version is much better. Is there anyone who actually prefer the VC version over 3DS? I can understand getting this if you don't have the 3DS.
Dunno if I'm going to get it again (since it'd be, like, my fifth copy), but I guess the appeal to have it along the 3DS version would be having a console version with customizable controls and save states at a low price.

Robin64

Mmm....

MlWA77v0wcA31cfv2E

foltzie1

Personally, I think the 3DS version is much better. Is there anyone who actually prefer the VC version over 3DS? I can understand getting this if you don't have the 3DS.

Dunno if I'm going to get it again (since it'd be, like, my fifth copy), but I guess the appeal to have it along the 3DS version would be having a console version with customizable controls and save states at a low price.

This is it, there is some charm in playing the original, but having the game on a console has a different, but similar charm.

Also, if you already have the game on Wii VC, at two bucks, its a no brainer.

About time we got those Ace Attorney themes. Bummed that we didn't get AW2 since I haven't played it. I think I'm going to get Mercenaries Saga 2 . It will most likely scratch my tactics itch.

L~A

How are the Samurai Warrior Chronicles game? Wonder if this one will have Masamune Date in it.

Have you played any other Musou game? If yes, you can't go wrong with that one, though personally, I find the multi-character system (you can control up to 4 characters during battle, switching from one to the other, giving them orders, etc...) really adds a lot to gameplay.

Also, Masamune Date has been in every single Samurai Warriors game since the first one, so... :D

Shiggy

Which 3DS eShop games to buy from this list?

Which one is best?
Pullblox
Fallblox
Fullblox

Wario Land 2
Wario Land 3

Hydroventure (Fluidity)

HarmoKnight

Reflect Missile

Starship Patrol

Boxboy

By the way, what happened to Kokopolo 3D?

jholmes

You get a VC release of Super Butoden 2 on the SNES with this purchase in Europe.. Japanese version, of course. But it's a 3DS promotion, and it doesn't say the SNES game is for Wii U or anything.. So, SNES on 3DS later in the year? Probably not, but then what is this?

Very interesting indeed. Licensed import Virtual Console titles are more than welcome, and SNES on 3DS is cool too. Hope we figure this out soon.

I still haven't played a Link to the Past or Super Metroid before

Two of the greats. Put down whatever you're playing now. It's not as good.

Pullbox, you crazy European, and HarmoKnight.

Simbabbad

I own them all minus Fluidity, they're all good games.

From best to worst, IMO:

Pullblox/Fullblox (Pullblox is now cheaper, but Fullblox is more complete)
Fallblox (as good as the others, but less replayability, it's a more "standard" puzzle game)
Wario Land 3 (IMO a masterpiece, but many people don't like its Metroid element)
Wario Land 2 (genius action/puzzle game, very fun and funny)
Boxboy (first walkthrough is too easy/dull, but more layers of difficulty unlock later)
Starship Patrol (it's a good tower defence game)
Reflect Missile (it's well done, if a little bland)
HarmoKnight (didn't get into it despite the excellent presentation, I don't like the music)

Why is Pullblox better than the other two -blox titles?
If you can read French, you can read my Pullblox/Fallblox comparison review.

In a nutshell, they're not the same types of puzzle games. Pullblox has simpler rules, and most of its actions are easily reversible, whereas Fallblox is much more complex and a "make a mistake and the puzzle becomes unsolvable" sort of game. They're both good and depending on your taste you may like Fallblox better, but Pullblox is funnier to play and it's easier to design interesting user made levels for it, so Pullblox will probably give you more for your time and money.

Fullblox is basically Pullblox in 3D, it's the same base concept but with a dimension added. It's equally good, but more varied, and the editor has more potential. It was much less popular, though, so there are less user made levels for it (I designed levels for both Pullblox and Fullblox, BTW). Pullblox is also cheaper.

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console and Wii Software

Wii U | Sales

• Bombing Bastards and Spot the Differences: Party! from Sanuk Games are on sale until July 9.
  • Ittle Dew is 50 percent off (reduced from $9.99 to $4.99) until July 30.
  • Plenty of Fishies is 40 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.99) until July 31.

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies from Capcom is 44 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $16.79) until July 16.
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy from Capcom is 25 percent off (reduced from $29.99 to $22.49) until July 16.
  • Talking Phrasebook – 7 Languages is 40 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.99) until July 9.
  • European Conqueror 3D, The Legend of Dark Witch and Tappingo from Circle Entertainment are on sale until July 23.
  • Toy Stunt Bike is 50 percent off (reduced from $4.99 to $2.49) until July 30.
  • Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, 4 Elements and more games from Tulip Games are on sale until Jan. 1.

vYU92.png

Wii U | Sales

• SDK Paint (Hullbreach Studios) - €3.39/£2.99 (Ends July 9, normally €4.49/£3.99)
  • Ittle Dew (Ludosity) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends July 30, normally €9.99/£8.99)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies (Capcom) - €13.99/£11.19 (Ends July 16, normally €24.99/£19.99)
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy (Capcom) - €22.49/£18.74 (Ends July 16, normally €29.99/£24.99)
  • Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2015 (Avanquest) - €2.99/£1.99 (Ends July 16, normally €10.99/£9.99)
  • Hotel Transylvania (Avanquest) - €4.99/£4.99 (Ends July 16, normally €19.99/£17.99)
  • Doodle Jump Adventures (Avanquest) - €4.99/£4.99 (Ends July 16, normally €24.99/£19.99)
  • 3D Game Collection (Joindots) - €4.99/£3.69 (Ends July 16, normally €6.99/£4.99)
  • Funfair Party Games (Joindots) - €4.99/£3.69 (Ends July 16, normally €6.99/£4.99)
  • Gardenscapes (Joindots) - €5.99/£4.49 (Ends July 16, normally €7.99/£5.99)
  • Jewel Match 3 (Joindots) - €4.99/£3.99 (Ends July 16, normally €6.99/£4.99)
  • Safari Quest (Joindots) - €4.99/£3.99 (Ends July 16, normally €6.99/£4.99)
  • European Conqueror 3D (CIRCLE Ent.) - €2.99/£2.39 (Ends July 23, normally €3.99/£3.19)
  • The Legend of Dark Witch - Chronicle 2D ACT (CIRCLE Ent.) - €2.99/£2.39 (Ends July 23, normally €3.99/£3.19)
  • Jewel Quest The Sapphire Dragons (MSL) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends July 30, normally €11.99/£10.79)
  • Jewel Quest Mysteries 3 - The Seventh Gate (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends July 30, normally €11.99/£10.79)
  • Mystery Case Files Return to Ravenhearst (MSL) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends July 30, normally €11.99/£10.79)
  • Mystery Case Files Ravenhearst (MSL) - €4.99/£4.49 (Ends July 30, normally €11.99/£10.79)
  • Hidden Expedition Titanic (MSL) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends July 30, normally €11.99/£10.79)
  • Mystery Case Files Dire Grove (MSL) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends July 30, normally €11.99/£10.79)
  • 4 Elements (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends July 30, normally €12.00/£10.79)
  • Luxor (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends July 30, normally €11.99/£10.79)
  • Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends July 30, normally €11.99/£10.79)
  • Secret Mysteries in London (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends July 30, normally €11.99/£10.79)
  • Azada (MSL) - €2.99/£2.69 (Ends July 30, normally €11.99/£10.79)
  • Toy Stunt Bike (Wobbly Tooth) - €2.49/£2.25 (Ends July 30, normally €4.99/£4.49)
  • Football Up 3D (EnjoyUp Games) - €1.99/£1.79 (Ends July 30, normally €2.99/£2.36)
  • Tappingo (CIRCLE Ent.) - €1.99/£1.79 (Ends July 30, normally €2.99/£2.49)

uxwGK.png

zigg

Wonder if Ace Attorney Trilogy is ever going to dip below $22.49. I'd kinda like to have it but I still do own the DS games…

Fewr

Mercenaries Saga 2 looks interesting. Any reviews out there yet?
I just want to know if the battle system is ok, and the time it takes to complete the game.

cacildo

Dat Minecraft thirsty. It's Top 3 in Spain right now, behind Yoshi and Splatoon.
Lego Worlds could triumph in Wii U if WB is able to release it.

I think there's at least another Mine craft clone on the wiiu eshop, but maybe there's even more

Anyway, this one is really looking good. There's an update coming that will add multi-player (I think local multiplayer) some other stuff like fixing bugs and so on. But after the update the game will be more expensive

Umibozu

Mercenaries Saga 2 looks interesting. Any reviews out there yet?
I just want to know if the battle system is ok, and the time it takes to complete the game.
I just started playing it, I'm on the fourth mission and I'm not regretting my purchase yet. The game is fun and seems to have some content for what I spent. The music is a little generic and it uses some of the same sound effects from adventure bar story. It plays like your typical tactics game, and the story might be a little generic but I'm not finding it boring yet either. You also upgrade your characters class when they reach certain requirements.
I would recommend it for someone who's looking for a quick pick up and play tactacs rpg game, but it is a little on the easy side.

To answer your question:
From I've played, yes, the battle system seems to be ok. I don't know yet how much time it takes to finish, but I'm breezing through, so hopefully there's a lot of missions.

You get a VC release of Super Butoden 2 on the SNES with this purchase in Europe.. Japanese version, of course. But it's a 3DS promotion, and it doesn't say the SNES game is for Wii U or anything.. So, SNES on 3DS later in the year? Probably not, but then what is this?
What I find funny about that is the game did come out in a part of Europe...not that I'd want to play it in 50Hz and French...

Could be the version from Jump Legend: http://j-legend.bngames.net/game.html
It isn't quite:
Just a heads up that this version isn't going to have the music from the original release because of the Yamamoto stuff. Bamco actually went out of their way to make an entirely new 16-Bit soundtrack for the pre order bonus version of the game. (The one in the 3DS collection still uses the original music, funnily enough.)
The Yamamoto stuff in question is you can find a lot of examples of him committing plagiarism (usually Swedish Heavy Metal) but ultimately using Terminator Salvation and Avatar tunes in Dragon Ball Z Kai was a step too far that got him and his music removed from Dragon Ball Z.

Have we been given an official statement as to why this is being done to the N64 games? It's very annoying.
Gaming press don't care (they would rather asked a clueless executive about VR he has never experienced as he was at E3 to work not to play...I mean said executive would not know shit about the VC either and the VR generated way more traffic for the press) and all we can do is get the customer services who just forward the comment onto the appropriate department.

Zeeman

I just started playing Paper Mario on Wii U VC, and honestly I'm not even noticing how dark it is when playing on the gamepad. (No idea what it looks like on TV)

Hydroventure (Fluidity)

HarmoKnight

Boxboy

Boxboy is great. It's my #1 most played game this year so far. I got more than 10 hours of it. I think it's a really clever game... and it's got so much content for only $5...or whatever it is in your region.

HarmoKnight is my #2 most played game with almost 10 hours. It was very fun and addicting while it lasted. It has a demo too, and if you like the demo, you would probably like the full game.

I got Fluidity: Spin Cycle as a Club Nintendo freebie, and got stuck on world 1-13. I can't figure out how to progress. So I can't recommend it unfortunately.

SummitAve

Banned
How is the N64 version being displayed in that pic? I'm not sure how you would do a direct comparison to the original with so many variables between the display formats.

Robin64

How is the N64 version being displayed in that pic? I'm not sure how you would do a direct comparison to the original with so many variables between the display formats.

But we know the color values, right? I mean, we can export textures from the ROM and look at them directly, so we can know exactly how an N64 game should look.

JonnyKong

Is it pretty much official that we're never going to get that collectable badge centre game? I wanna play it so bad :(

Robin64

Is it pretty much official that we're never going to get that collectable badge centre game? I wanna play it so bad :(

I honestly think we would have heard something about it by now. Such a shame, too, it's the only way to have awesome icons on folders instead of a letter.

Javier

I just started playing Paper Mario on Wii U VC, and honestly I'm not even noticing how dark it is when playing on the gamepad. (No idea what it looks like on TV)
It's really a non-issue on the Gamepad after you turn the brightness to the max.

Fewr

I just started playing it, I'm on the fourth mission and I'm not regretting my purchase yet. The game is fun and seems to have some content for what I spent. The music is a little generic and it uses some of the same sound effects from adventure bar story. It plays like your typical tactics game, and the story might be a little generic but I'm not finding it boring yet either. You also upgrade your characters class when they reach certain requirements.
I would recommend it for someone who's looking for a quick pick up and play tactacs rpg game, but it is a little on the easy side.

To answer your question:
From I've played, yes, the battle system seems to be ok. I don't know yet how much time it takes to finish, but I'm breezing through, so hopefully there's a lot of missions.

Thanks, I'll buy it tomorrow.
:)

jholmes

Have we been given an official statement as to why this is being done to the N64 games? It's very annoying.

Not that there's been an official statement but I'm pretty sure it's to compensate for the lack of scan lines, which these games were originally made to be played through.

Now while I respect that, I do think Paper Mario was too dark.

GulAtiCa

My game is now 1 year old today! Wow what a year. Thought some might find this data interesting. So I put every week in a chart. Sorry, no actual download numbers. :p
zacisa1styear1.jpg

Can read some of my analysis here.

sörine

Banned
Not that there's been an official statement but I'm pretty sure it's to compensate for the lack of scan lines, which these games were originally made to be played through.

Now while I respect that, I do think Paper Mario was too dark.
They should just make the filtering optional like M2 does on GBA. Same for NES.

SNES and DS look okay enough, but unfiltered options would be nice there too.

Top Bottom