• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

boiled goose

good with gravy
Pimpbaa said:
They should have bundled WSR and included wiimotes with motion+ built in.

that would move more motion+s but not more systems.

if they do a bundle it will include wii sports + something different.
nsmb wii is the best bet.
maybe something like metroid

schuelma said:
By the time NSMB Wii comes out 7 out of the 12 months of the fiscal year will be over. I don't see it having so big of an effect as to counteract 7 months of falling sales.

I assume you're talking about hitting sales forcasts. If so, I think Nintendo would rather miss a forecast than give up all that future revenue by dropping the price. It's a waste to cut the price before a potential killer app is released. If NSMB brings the Wii back to heaven, who's going to care about a missed sales forecast?

Mudkips said:
Simple price-point saturation.

Nintendo will ride out this holiday season with a bundle or two, maybe the black Wii, and then we'll see a price drop toward the end of the 1st quarter of next year.

Nintendo simply doesn't give a shit about month-to-month hardware sales anymore. It won. Nintendo MAKES money off of each Wii, a price drop is a bad move until sales tank in terms of raw numbers, not just in terms of year-over-year or month-to-month percentages.

Yea. Downside when 1 system far ahead.

Kintaro said:
Welcome to the dead of summer. Nintendo + EA software for the win? :lol

No. It's not a system seller. It is a Wii Motion + seller.

How is it not a system seller? It's the sequel to the system selling game of Wii.

If it's not system selling software for Wii, then what is?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
kame-sennin said:
I assume you're talking about hitting sales forcasts. If so, I think Nintendo would rather miss a forecast than give up all that future revenue by dropping the price. It's a waste to cut the price before a potential killer app is released. If NSMB brings the Wii back to heaven, who's going to care about a misses sales forecast?

Nintendo's investors certainly care about sales forecasts. And hence, so does Nintendo.

botticus

Arpharmd B said:
How is it not a system seller? It's the sequel to the system selling game of Wii.

The game to which it is a sequel.

I was expecting something from it, but apparently I was wrong.

Mooreberg

When was the last time something below 100K made the top ten?

Stopsign said:
Looking at Battlefield 1943, I think it's quite possible that DD sales are cutting into the retail market substantially right now.

DD and games that have a shit ton of replay value. Beyond what ODST and MW2 will sell, I think what worries the other publishers is how much time people can spend with those games. A lot of people will get more play time on an extra three DLC maps than they would from a single player game.

Brannon

Not even surprised. Holiday surge can't come fast enough; NPD needs some unpredictable shaking up to relieve the boredom.

operon

Software sales are looking pretty crap atm 100k getting you in to the Top ten. Some people will be looking forward to end of summer.

cjelly said:
Not bundling with WSR was a missed opportunity, IMO.

No, I don't think that would have been a good move. IMO, their best bet would be to hold the current price but revise the bundle like this:

WII FAMILY PACK

Console
Two Wii Remotes + two nunchuks
Wii Sports

Including that brings the price of a multiplayer-ready Wii down from $310 (the MSRP of all elements) to the current $250 and falls in line with the marketing of the system as a family-friendly console. It avoids the possible stigma of a price-cut, and with appropriate marketing presents the console as offering a relatively substantial saving.

I think Nintendo would prefer that added value proposition to slashing $60 off the price.

Arpharmd B said:

Why is Wii Sports a system seller, this thing is bundled, we can't even tell how it would've sold without the bundle in the USA. >_>

deleted

Well hello there NSMB, long time no see...

It was released 3 years ago and it manages to come back into the top10 for no particular reason. That game has unreal staying power. Much more than all the other DS sellers like Brain Age or Animal Crossing.

Edit: Oh and theres Mario Kart DS too. Absolutely insane!
Does anybody have US ltd numbers and first month numbers for these games ?

Xeke

Banned
Arpharmd B said:

How are you still missing this. Nearly everybody who wanted to buy Resort already owned Wii Sports, thus a very small portion of the people who bought Resort bought a system with it.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Talamius said:
Wii is coming back to the field, but I think that's more damning of sales in general at this point.

EA/Nintendo have a complete chokehold on what software sales there are.

Holy crap, it's true. The entire top 10 is published by Nintendo or Electronic Arts.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Talamius said:
A morbid thought: If we've been sustaining the industry situation with "Well, at least Nintendo is kicking ass", what do we say now? At the risk of doom and gloom, I don't think the industry is sustainable as is with sub 100k sales being top 10 material, especially on the HD side.

This won't last. June/July is always the slowest months of the year for games. Pretty much nothing was released except for WSR and NCAA.

Next month features Madden and Batman. Not a huge improvement but respectable.

September has Scribblenauts, Rock Band Beatles, Guitar Hero 5, Dirt 2, Need for Speed: SHIFT, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, and ODST. All of these games will definitely sell more than 100k.

JKBii

sillymonkey321 said:
So Wii sports resort sells to every single Wii owner in the U.S.

Wii Sports Resort came out at the end of July. I went to pick it up in July and it wasn't in Wal-Mart or Toys R Us. I could only get it at Gamestop and they said they only had two copies available for people who didn't pre-order the game. I hadn't even seen commercials for it until August.

So it looks like these sales just reflect the early adopters.

meme

Banned
xyla said:
Well hello there NSMB, long time no see...

It was released 3 years ago and it manages to come back into the top10 for no particular reason. That game has unreal staying power. Much more than all the other DS sellers like Brain Age or Animal Crossing.

Mario Kart DS says "hi, I'm #5"

I'm surprised at how many people so far think NSMB wii will be a system seller. Really? I think it'll sell a lot of copies, but not a lot of systems.

szaromir

Banned
Carl said:
360 is doing amazingly well.
No, it's not. And starting in September they'll be down in year on year comparisons (they are flat now). Unless MS's marketing will make wonders advertising ODST/FM3 and what not.

[Nintex]

Since New Super Mario Bros. Wii is Nintendo's holiday title it won't launch till november. I can't see Metroid Prime Trilogy do much for hardware sales. A price drop is something that Iwata is against but if sales fall flat in Japan too he has no choice.

LINK.AGE76 said:
I think it will sell great, but not on the DS pace. 3-3.5 million in America is what I think it will reach and 10m ww
I love how 10 mil is Nintendo's bare minimum expectation. It just goes to show how much of a grip they have on the industry.

I say it will do 15m, judging by Mario Kart Wii.

meme

Banned
lawblob said:
In this economic climate, im' guessing all of the music games will bomb hard this fall.

And considering the price, games like DJ Hero are just being sent to die.

lawblob said:
In this economic climate, im' guessing all of the music games will bomb hard this fall.

i'm right there with ya......just general fatigue coupled with high-ass price tags and the "economic situation" (god I hate saying that) are gonna make it rough

Captain Smoker said:
Why is Wii Sports a system seller, this thing is bundled, we can't even tell how it would've sold without the bundle in the USA. >_>

When the Wii came out, it became a sales phenomenon right out of the gate, well before the release of it's top selling software Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii.

What, exactly, were those people buying the Wii for back then? The amazing launch lineup?

And even disregarding all of this, Wii Sports Resort got a huge ad campaign. It's all over TV. That's advertising for the Wii system, too.

ZealousD said:
September has Scribblenauts, Rock Band Beatles, Guitar Hero 5, Dirt 2, Need for Speed: SHIFT, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, and ODST. All of these games will definitely sell more than 100k.

I don't see any of the bolded doing more than 100k, though MUA2 may surprise me.

elrechazao said:
I'm surprised at how many people so far think NSMB wii will be a system seller. Really? I think it'll sell a lot of copies, but not a lot of systems.

That's exactly what I think. It will end up selling 3-3.5m and 10m WW but not sell many systems. I don't think it will be a system seller.

Mooreberg

lawblob said:

I'm actually wondering how GH5 does considering Walmart is airing nation wide ads right now about World Tour being $99. There has to be a saturation point for the amount of junk people need in their houses or apartments.

Unless...

Mama Robotnik said:
msgocasugif.gif

Bahahaha, that's awesome.

Ondore

A lot of people thought Wii had plateaued at 70-75k/week - 63k/week this month. Part of that is the summer slump, but surely $250 fatigue is kicking in as well.

I really wish they broke out DSi/DS sales like we get from the Japanese sales charts because it might help explain the DSiWare strategy (if most of the systems are Lites, then it's no wonder they're holding back). Still, 500k for the DS platform as a whole is pretty cool.

Also...
ZealousD said:

As much as I wish for Scribblenauts to sell a million 1st month and win the NPDs, I can't see it breaking 100k first month. It'll probably have silver legs (where NSMB has golden and Mario Kart DS has DIAMOND legs).

kitzkozan

I guess that 2009 being a revival for fighting game is not true after all.

Street fighter is popular again for sure and Tekken 6 will go on to sell 3-4 million,but no such luck for Blazblue.

Do we have an estimate of how many copies were sold on Blazblue?

I don't even want to know the numbers on KOF XII. :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Weekly NPD sales in relation to last month / July of last year (July = 4 weeks, June = 5 weeks):

Code:
       |  07/09 |   06/09 | % Change |   07/08 | % Change (compared to 07/09)
PS2    |    27K |     31K |      13% |     39K |      31%
PS3    |    31K |     33K |       6% |     56K |      45% 
PSP    |    31K |     33K |       6% |     56K |      45% 
NDS    |   135K |    153K |      12% |    152K |      11% 
360    |    51K |     48K |       6% |     51K |       0% 
Wii    |    63K |     72K |      13% |    139K |      55%

Red signifies a decrease, black increase.

Only 360 is safe this month! Pretty huge drops YoY for Sony across the board & Wii. :(

Top Bottom