• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

VALIS

360 again the only one not affected by the year-long 2009 slump for the consoles. I don't think they're partying in Redmond over 202K sales, but they are in a powerful position going forward.

ZealousD said:
This won't last. June/July is always the slowest months of the year for games. Pretty much nothing was released except for WSR and NCAA.

Next month features Madden and Batman. Not a huge improvement but respectable.

September has Scribblenauts, Rock Band Beatles, Guitar Hero 5, Dirt 2, Need for Speed: SHIFT, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, and ODST. All of these games will definitely sell more than 100k.

Scribblenauts over 100k in the month? I'll have to see that to believe it. Salesage only, not a comment on the quality of the game.

operon

Crap the sony fanboys are coming out from under their rocks.

Besides the lack of error 500, there an extreme lacks of gifs, we need them to make this thread interesting.

Magik

pgtl_10 said:
The recession has finally caught up with the game industry. Nintend Wii and music games will get hurt the most because they rely on the less dedicated gamer to sell their product.

This. The recession is hitting A LOT of families hard so when it comes down to cutting costs, video games are an easy item to cut.

The Wii selling 250k with a rough economy isn't too bad. I would be worried if the fall numbers are considerable drops YoY.

lawblob said:
In this economic climate, im' guessing all of the music games will bomb hard this fall.

Climate plus absolute rape of the genre. It's not just the climate.

This year alone we'll:

GH: M
GH: Smash hits
Band Hero
DJ Hero
GH: 5
GH: Van Halen
Rock Band: Beatles
Lego Rock Band

That's a lot of shit and the worst part is that none of these games are part of a platform (like RB1 to RB2) so you're stuck having to disc swap to play diff songs. The plastic toy sales model for Activision is coming to a crash. Harmonix isn't doing themselves any favors by going away from the platform philosophy with RB: Beatles and Lego rock band.

Touchdown

Banned
I believe this is the first month in a while that XBOX360 is down yoy??

Wii still in first place in console race, Won't see a price drop until they are in third place most likely.

Wii Sports Resort sells over half a million; beating NCAA on 360-crazy.

Mario Kart and NSMB still in top 10 again after being released 3 or 4 years ago??!!!- Insane. Is that a record or something??

Aaron Strife said:
I love how 10 mil is Nintendo's bare minimum expectation. It just goes to show how much of a grip they have on the industry.

I say it will do 15m, judging by Mario Kart Wii.

If it shipped with a peripheral I would agree....but I mean Wii games that don't ship with a peripheral just don't sell as well. No Wii game w/o a peripheral has sold 10+ million. I'm guessing sub-SMG sales for NSMB Wii

Loudninja

operon said:
Crap the sony fanboys are coming out from under their rocks.

Besides the lack of error 500, there an extreme lacks of gifs, we need them to make this thread interesting.

What are you talking about?

Someone asked when the last time a game in the Top 10 sold under 100k. The answer to that is April 2009. God Father 2 for the PS3 was placed at 10 with just 91k units sold.

FrankT

szaromir said:
No, it's not. And starting in September they'll be down in year on year comparisons (they are flat now). Unless MS's marketing will make wonders advertising ODST/FM3 and what not.

Up about ~280k year over year by my calculations. August really wasn't that hot of a month last year either. September will likely see most of the benefit of the drop on the Elite and any fire sale they do on the current pro plus ODST so I don't really see any issues there either.

meme said:
And considering the price, games like DJ Hero are just being sent to die.

All Hero and Band games are going to die this holiday. Can't wait to pick up Rock Band Beatles kits at Big Lots early next year.

[Nintex]

Haunted said:
Nintendo and EA cement their software dominance. 2 companies making up the top 10 spots, ridiculous.
I wonder if EA can keep this up and if their other titles like Dead Space: Extraction, Brutal Legend and Need for Speed: Nitro and Need for Speed: Shift will sell. They've put quite alot of work in those products.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
While it's impressive that NSMB is in the top 10, Mario Kart DS sneak unnoticed in an even higher spot in the chart. Best tires ever, I say.

Edit: Wait, I'M WRONG!!!

Anyhow, a TOP 10 full of EA and Nintendo is impressive indeed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Numbers were lower than I predicted.

Still it's not surprising. Seriously jack shit came out in July outside of Wii Sports Resort and the usual NCAA for this year. It's not surprising to see sales suffer when jack shit has come out on really any platform since June outside of some downloadable stuff for the 360, PS3, and the iphone. So unless you picked up Wii Sports Resort for some mp fun or are a big college football fan that needs the new version it was ZZZZerific last month, and sadly August doesn't seem any better with just Madden and Batman which doesn't release till the month is almost over.

God the normal summer drought sucked extra hard this summer IMO game wise.

AniHawk

September is usually when sales really start to pick up again. July and August tend to be pretty slow months.

Brettison said:

Still it's not surprising. Seriously jack shit came out in July outside of Wii Sports Resort and the usual NCAA for this year. It's not surprising to see sales suffer when jack shit has come out on really any platform since June outside of some downloadable stuff for the 360, PS3, and the iphone. So unless you picked up Wii Sports Resort for some mp fun or are a big college football fan that needs the new version it was ZZZZerific last month, and sadly August doesn't seem any better with just Madden and Batman which doesn't release till the month is almost over.

All the good games seem to be download releases anyway.

Loudninja said:
What are you talking about?

Dunno, it's been really sparse for ps3 delusion in this thread. Let me try:

This is another incredible month for Sony, Playstation Family beats the wii and the 360 handily.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Blast Processing said:
I don't see any of the bolded doing more than 100k, though MUA2 may surprise me.

MUA was a million+ seller, wasn't it?

As for Scribblenauts, while I admit I'm on the hype train, it's getting serious attention. I've convinced 2 of my adult co-workers to get it, and it also has a huge potential to attract the Drawn to Life crowd (kids). Throw a few commercials on during Saturday mornings and it'll sell. Right now it's sitting at #2 on Amazon's DS sales chart. I would be very surprised if Scribblenauts did not sell at least 100k.

szaromir

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Up about ~280k year over year by my calculations. August really wasn't that hot of a month last year either. Septmember will likely see most of the benefit of the drop on the Elite and any fire sale they do on the current pro plus ODST so I don't really see any issues there either.
I meant they're flat in July. There might surprise me with some kind of advertising blitz, but I don't expect them to do that well (compared to fantastic last year) based on software line-up - they have a lot of franchises that sell a lot of copies, but mostly to the audience that's already bought the console.

VALIS

MikeE21286 said:
Is that true? With the price drop and a y-o-y decline that's pretty troubling...

:lol Nice try. It's down by 2,000. Wii is down by 300,000 and PS3 down by 105,000.

oneHeero

Carl said:
Ugh, boring.

Ps3 i selling like a bag of shit at the minute.

360 is doing amazingly well.
I agree ps3 is selling like shit but 360 doing amazingly well? Are we forgetting $199 vs $399? I cant see how its consider "amazingly' well and the ps3 is considered shit.

stupei

Arpharmd B said:
All Hero and Band games are going to die this holiday. Can't wait to pick up Rock Band Beatles kits at Big Lots early next year.

That's the one music game that might buck the trend.

But you're right, the plastic instruments aren't going to move as well as the software, so anyone looking for a Höfner should be set.

... it does come with the Höfner, right?

Concept17

Wasn't everyone expecting just over 300k for Wii?

Also - how well is the 360 really doing when you consider its price? Wonder what the total revenue is...

299 Slim has to happen at this point, and the Go needs a 199 version/pricing.

Xeke

Banned
MikeE21286 said:
If it shipped with a peripheral I would agree....but I mean Wii games that don't ship with a peripheral just don't sell as well. No Wii game w/o a peripheral has sold 10+ million. I'm guessing sub-SMG sales for NSMB Wii

You're batshit crazy.

GeoramA

Brettison said:

Tell me about it, this summer has been dreadful. Thank god my backlog is huge...playing Saints Row 2 now, Red Faction next.

VALIS said:
360 again the only one not affected by the year-long 2009 slump for the consoles. I don't think they're partying in Redmond over 202K sales, but they are in a powerful position going forward.

Do people realize that next month could potentially see both 360 and PS3 (if the Slim and Pricecut make August) on top of Wii for the first time in console war history?

I believe I am the first person to throw this out there in the thread.

operon

Was being premptive then.

In other news the secret PS3 game is thought ot be the mystery cargo on that missing ship in the north atlantic......

Averon

Shitty numbers for the PS3. I expect it to be even worse in August. It's not even half way through the month and supplies are always pretty low. Combine the PS3's tendency to sell like crap plus a shortage and you have yourself a sub 100k month.

d+pad

MikeE21286 said:
I'm guessing sub-SMG sales for NSMB Wii

You think a 2D Mario game is going to sell less than a 3D Mario game? Really??

It's going to sell boatloads - certainly more than SMG (especially on a WW basis), IMO...

oneHeero said:
I agree ps3 is selling like shit but 360 doing amazingly well? Are we forgetting $199 vs $399? I cant see how its consider "amazingly' well and the ps3 is considered shit.

And yet you keep forgetting that the average price of the 360 isn't 199. Ofcourse, I can see how forgetting that could make one feel better.

FrankT

szaromir said:
I meant they're flat in July. There might surprise me with some kind of advertising blitz, but I don't expect them to do that well (compared to fantastic last year) based on software line-up - they have a lot of franchises that sell a lot of copies, but mostly to the audience that's already bought the console.

They had pretty much the core franchises in the line up last year as well for the holiday quarter. Gears last year and another Halo this year. They are missing a Fable type game, but they will be pushing Forza no doubt it and likely will promote L4D2 as much as possible. Banjo certainly wasn't pushing anybody last year even if I loved the game. The $199 price point isn't going anywhere however and for moms and dads that will still be a hot ticket item for Christmas just like last year. That more than anything will push sales granted they do those hot holiday bundles.

GeoramA said:
Tell me about it, this summer has been dreadful. Thank god my backlog is huge...playing Saints Row 2 now, Red Faction next.

Summer has been great for me. Lots of XBLA type software including Trine and Battlefield 1943. Still have Shadow Complex left too.

AniHawk

Arpharmd B said:
Do people realize that next month could potentially see both 360 and PS3 (if the Slim and Pricecut make August) on top of Wii for the first time in console war history?

I believe I am the first person to throw this out there in the thread.

I think Sony would announce the slim and price cut before shoving it out to the marketplace.

Okay, price cut, sure. Slim? Not gonna happen without an announcement (TGS).

schuelma said:
Nintendo's investors certainly care about sales forecasts. And hence, so does Nintendo.

Your argument makes sense, and most CEOs would cut the price in this situation. But there are few things working against your point:

- Iwata does not believe that price drops increase demand (over the long term), making it a losing strategy. He has been anti-price cut for almost his entire tenure. The DS has even had a price increase, and he has figured out a way to keep software prices static.

- Iwata believes that WSR might have a viral effect and may spur sales after two months of being in people's homes.

- Nintendo is not the most investor friendly company. They have missed sales forecasts before, and they seem to believe that that's ok so long as there is a good justification. Nintendo is always focused on the long term.

- IIRC, Yamauchi is the majority shareholder. We all know he and Iwata are in lock-step, and he certainly cares more about the health of his family's 100 year old company than about his short term portfolio. In a lot of ways, he's the only shareholder that matters.

I'm not saying that Nintendo can get away with pissing off shareholders, missing forecasts, and fucking up their shipments all the time. But if sales turn around in a big way this Christmas and stay that way, no one's going to be mad that they didn't cut the price back in September. In fact, people will be glad that they're bringing in as much revenue as possible.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
msgocasugif.gif
damn I miss DS9

Top Bottom