• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

HDD.jpg

Drame

Hmm, the power switch seems to be missing, or am I blind?

In any case, I personally, love the look of the Slim.

antiloop

I can understand not liking the look of the new slim model compared to the old one. It does look cheaper.

But with that size it just destroys the old fat PS3. :p

Maximus.

Finally a price drop, redesign looks neat, just got a ps3 a month ago, dont regret it. I want to see it in person to decide if i REALLY like it, but whatever its just going to sit there, not like the way it looks is overly important. What i want to know is what they are gonna do to move old ps3s...

jett said:
In those pics it looks way nicer than the fat.
It seems to look ok in those (renders?), but when you see the photos of people holding it, and the one in the stand I think it looks very cheap.

claviertekky said:
The slim doesn't attract fingerprints.
I've always wondered about this. Why are you pawing at your PS3? Dust I can understand, but not fingerprints.

Aladuf

Banned
Killthee said:
HDD's are locked to their system. You'll have to backup the drive, format it, and then restore the data when you plug it in the slim. You might lose some data (copy protected stuff).
Eh, that doesn't sound too bad... sounds like that's the same thing I did in the first place when upgrading my HDD to the 320GB one, so it won't hurt me to do it again with the new console.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Looks pretty cool and I'm glad to see Sony get the price way down. Still happy to have my 60GB model, though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
stuburns said:
Very few are console locked, Burnout is one of them, but the vast majority aren't.
Many are though, PSN games too, at least on my console as I was doing a check last night to see what I'd lose.
Like Streetfighter IV.

I'm not going to redo all that.... :(

However, devs can patch their games to remove the lock. Capcom did it with RE5.
I'd trade up asap if this happens.

YagizY

OldJadedGamer said:
Amazon pre-order is up:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-Slim/dp/B002I0J4VQ/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250619699&sr=8-1

Got mine pre-ordered. Selling my PHAT to a friend for $200. I never cared about replacing my HDD since I only play exclusives on the unit so I don't take up too much space for installs.

I'll be so glad to get rid of that ugly ass Spiderman font. Right now, I have a piece of black electrical tape over it.

Tell me, do you stare at your console when you play games or the television? Just wondering.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Negaiido said:
It seems that I'm the only one with good taste.

I actually like the new looks.

I think the Slim looks much better as well. It isn't some huge, hulking monolith anymore and it doesn't use the frakking Spider-Man font.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
DoctorWho said:
So can we switch out the HDD on the slim?

Looks at pics - I guess not.

WTF with all these no HDD bullcrap

there is one huge slot next to USB ports and under the Blu-ray drive slot .

PS3_Slim_4.jpg

^ shell is upside down , that USB port , see what next to it

gofreak said:
Look at the front right where the logos are. That bit looks to open up...probably where your HDD is.

I saw that. Maybe there is hope. If any game journos are reading this please find out ASAP!

clav

Psychotext said:
It seems to look ok in those (renders?), but when you see the photos of people holding it, and the one in the stand I think it looks very cheap.

I've always wondered about this. Why are you pawing at your PS3? Dust I can understand, but not fingerprints.
Same reason why I don't like gloss on laptops. It just looks bad, but once dust accumulates and then people start touching it, ugh.

YagizY said:
Save yourself time and money and try to find a new 80gb one with software BC.

Seriously, I don't understand why everyone gets such a hard-on about the hardware BC. I have about 100 PS2 games and not ONE has given me any problems on my PS3 with software BC.

The Motorstorm and MGS4 bundles are software BC PS3's.

Half software, half hardware.

But yeah, they do seem to work nearly perfectly with ps2 games.

lachesis

Hugs my 60gb... :)
However, I'm actually being tempted to get this one for BDP purpose on my 60" TV, and use my 60gb for much gaming purpose only on smaller, sharper 1080p monitor.... Oh the temptations and sad limitation on the money...!!

LiK

the only good thing from this announcement is that all the stand-alone BD players are gonna have to drop their prices cuz the PS3 is still one fo the best BD players on the market.

Zoe

Are people positive about the internal power supply? That looks like the good ol' connector from the PS2. It's certainly not using the standard "PC" power cord anymore.

/hugs 60gb

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Those shots of the front look way better than the ones of the top, and most people will just be viewing it from the front anyway.

I still find is odd that Sony is eschewing a glossy finish somewhere in the design, though. Like how PSP Go has the matte finish inside for the controls, but still keeps the gloss around the screen. You'd think for the sake of brand congruity they'd want to have complimentary design elements across their product line. And a touch of gloss just makes for classier-looking electronics.

GeoramA

I'd trade in my 60GB for a slim in a heartbeat. I don't play PS2 games anymore and I won't have to clean dust off it every fucking day.

Chris R

Thing looks sexy, I could see myself just buying it to have a second machine in my bedroom as well as a Blu Ray player.

Fuck the haters it doesn't look that bad. So it's not shiny anymore. So what? The point is that it's smaller.
I have a hardon for smaller versions of things *hugs GBA Micro*
Also OMFG is that a perfect square when seen from the top?!
Depending on the answer I may or may not buy this.

Miburou

Wow, some people will complain about anything. What features is this missing so I too can make a "No xyz no sale!" post?

The fact that Sony has been able to shrink the PS3 so soon and lower the production costs by more than half (while increasing the HDD size) is nothing less than amazing. I think it looks no worse than the regular PS3 (which I'm not the biggest fan of, but has sort of grown on me).

And the fact that the regular PS3 is $299 right is also worth something.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
If the HDD is placed where some of you are suggesting, I am a little worried.

Having the HDD in the bottom of the Blu-Ray drive is a BAD idea.

Maybe I will hold off on buying a 2nd PS3 until the beta testers (first adopters) let us know more details on reliability.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I wonder if GameStop will drop the price on their refurbished PS3s, or if they'll keep trying to pawn them off for $330 — $400 :lol

YagizY

Guy Legend said:
No, they are partial software BC. And they aren't available new anymore either.

Neither can you find a 60gb new. In fact it's way easier to find a 80gb new online than a 60gb.

Partial is true, if you consider 99% to be partial, which it technically is.

[EDIT] I see what you meant by partial, scratch that.

Top Bottom