• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Switch hardware overview

arimanius

Phillips head screws! I wont be able to contain myself.
pzc.gif

Branduil

I do like that Nintendo is finally re-discovering the great industrial design they had with the Wii and DS Lite. The Wii U and original 3DS both looked like shoddy faux-clones of their predecessors. The Wii U in particular looked like a Wii that had eaten another Wii, and I still don't understand how the hideous misaligned-sandwich design of the original 3DS ever got approved. I think it might be uglier than the OG DS phat.

Wii U had a ton of games...at launch...and then they all went away almost immediately.
IIRC, there were the launch titles and then nothing of note for 4 months till March. Then nothing of note till July. Then nothing of note till september.

Switch has around one game of note every 1-2 months or so as far as we know.

We'll see which strategy works out best.

TLZ

Banned
And that's really a shame this time around, as the specs are industry leading for the primary use and form factor. Makes me wish they marketed this as a handheld that's so powerful it also makes a good home console when docked. Then they would have had no reason to hide the specs.

Exactly. I honestly wish they did so too.

I think the more accurate statement would be, "The Wii U had more third party game releases close to launch." It was in the holiday season, though.

I mean a lot of 3DS devs are probably going to move to the Switch. Stuff from guys who work on Layton, Ace Attorney, Yokai Watch, Etrian Odyssey, SMT, Bravely Default, Dragon Quest, etc will give the Switch the most third party support on any home console since forever basically.

jmizzal

Prob posted already but on the Splatoon 2 page it says this

"Smart Device Support – An upcoming smart-phone application for the Nintendo Switch system will enhance matchmaking and allow for voice chat options."

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/splatoon-2-switch

It says "enhance matchmaking" which means its an extra feature, meaning you dont need the app for matchmaking, where as voice chat is added to Splatoon 2, which the first game didnt have.

Prob posted already but on the Splatoon 2 page it says this

"Smart Device Support – An upcoming smart-phone application for the Nintendo Switch system will enhance matchmaking and allow for voice chat options."

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/splatoon-2-switch

It says "enhance matchmaking" which means its an extra feature, meaning you dont need the app for matchmaking, where as voice chat is added to Splatoon 2, which the first game didnt have.
I'm guessing online would be on the system with random and you use the smart phone app for lobbies with friends (send invites or whatever)

those controllers are mighty tiny...

I kind of want to see if any games will let us optionally map stuff to sr/sl while using two Joy Cons wirelessly. I mean, as long as my fingers are gonna be there, might as well. That'd be dope for shooters, it's basically 4 extra buttons you don't need your thumb for

Wii U had a ton of games...at launch...and then they all went away almost immediately.
IIRC, there were the launch titles and then nothing of note for 4 months till March. Then nothing of note till July. Then nothing of note till september.

Switch has around one game of note every 1-2 months or so as far as we know.

We'll see which strategy works out best.

Yeah I think that's the most notable difference in Nintendo's strategy here. Considering Mario Odyssey is "considerably finished" it seems like they're strategically putting finished games in the schedule, which bodes fairly well for a constant stream of games over the next few years, as development being finished (or close to it) indicates that Nintendo's teams have generally moved on to other projects.

Aroll

Some close-up shots of Nintendo Switch and Joy-Con. Source.

Back side

Kick stand and Micro SD card slot

Side

Bottom that shows the USB-C entry.

Top with cartridge slot

Joy-Con

Before people freak out "omg phillips head screws!" - note that it says "non working" one everything. Meaning, these are dummy display models that are not actually representative of the final product, just meant to be looked at under glass from afar.

So... do we have any idea watt kind of power is required to charge the Switch in portable mode? The last I saw, the back of the unit suggest 39W which is really damn high. I'm looking at a 24W power brick right now but I don't want to pull the trigger until I know.

I made a short GIF showing off how sleep mode works on Nintendo Switch. It's as easy as pressing the power button for it.

https://twitter.com/Dystify/status/826118162496290817

(Not linking the GIF cause the file size is pretty large.)

Seems similar to Vita's sleep mode when going by the GIF. (Which I figured) Just press the power button once and it goes into sleep mode. Maybe have to hold it down a bit more. Press it once for it to boot back up. Holding down the power button for a while is probably how you turn off the system itself.

Hopefully, it lasts closer to Vita sleep mode than 3DS sleep mode far as how much power is lost over time in sleep mode.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Do we know yet if the screen is made out of glass or some kind of polycarbonate?

I put screen protectors on my 3DS and Wii U because the screens seem so soft and I'm constantly rubbing the stylus on them, but with no stylus, I may not bother with a screen protector on the Switch.

Cartho

And that's really a shame this time around, as the specs are industry leading for the primary use and form factor. Makes me wish they marketed this as a handheld that's so powerful it also makes a good home console when docked. Then they would have had no reason to hide the specs.

I agree with you, but there are two sides to that coin. Their analysts may point out that the market for handhelds is maybe not as big as that of consoles, thanks to iPads etc. They might be worried that, if they marketed it as a handheld, people would have just said "meh, I've got an iPad".

So they may have thought going more after the console market was a better way of getting exposure. The trouble with that strategy is, alot of average gamers might look at a demo station running Horizon on a PS4 Pro at 4k and compare it to Switch running Breath of the Wild at 900p and think there's a very major difference (which there is) and go for the more powerful system.

You can't trust alot of the people in stores like GAME, many of whom (not all obviously) are morons who will just say "PS4 Pro can do 4k! So much better than Switch which struggles with 1080p". The average consumer might be swayed by stuff like that.

I agree with you, but there are two sides to that coin. Their analysts may point out that the market for handhelds is maybe not as big as that of consoles, thanks to iPads etc. They might be worried that, if they marketed it as a handheld, people would have just said "meh, I've got an iPad".

So they may have thought going more after the console market was a better way of getting exposure. The trouble with that strategy is, alot of average gamers might look at a demo station running Horizon on a PS4 Pro at 4k and compare it to Switch running Breath of the Wild at 900p and think there's a very major difference (which there is) and go for the more powerful system.

You can't trust alot of the people in stores like GAME, many of whom (not all obviously) are morons who will just say "PS4 Pro can do 4k! So much better than Switch which struggles with 1080p". The average consumer might be swayed by stuff like that.
There are many reasons to market as either so it's unfortunate that's the case.
You can't really market it as a portable that connect to the TV and has $60 games because that sounds unappealing. But a weak home console that can be played on the go doesn't sound too amazing either. The tech is great so hopefully they find the right messaging.

Seems similar to Vita's sleep mode when going by the GIF. (Which I figured) Just press the power button once and it goes into sleep mode. Maybe have to hold it down a bit more. Press it once for it to boot back up. Holding down the power button for a while is probably how you turn off the system itself.

Hopefully, it lasts closer to Vita sleep mode than 3DS sleep mode far as how much power is lost over time in sleep mode.
Yeah. I don't know how the 3DS sleep mode dies so quickly...I'm guessing streetpass has something to do with it? Hopefully that's gone

Yeah. I don't know how the 3DS sleep mode dies so quickly...I'm guessing streetpass has something to do with it? Hopefully that's gone

As Dystify said, StreetPass is not going on the Switch, so that should help far as sleep mode goes. I don't think SpotPass was confirmed either, right?

Berordn

But the USB ports are 2.0, wireless would be faster than the adapter?

One of the ports is USB 3, though it's getting activated in an update and is just 2.0 speeds until then.

Speed might be faster on wifi but depending on environment it's likely that ethernet is a more stable, less jittery connection.

Trying to figure out if I should grab myself a screen protector for the Switch. I feel like I'll most likely be using it in TV mode so it won't be as important to me but it could be useful for those times I do take it on the road with me

Dystify

As Dystify said, StreetPass is not going on the Switch, so they should help far as sleep mode goes. I don't think SpotPass was confirmed either, right?

We haven't heard really heard much about Switch's OS functions but it's probably also gone. I assume they will put most of these things in a smartphone app for Switch.

Gotta say the placement of the MicroSD card is pretty smart.

Yea but phones have been doing that on Android anyway for a long time, I think the original HTC 4G had it like that too, either way though yes, I'd rather that than having to undo a battery to put one in.

We haven't heard really heard much about Switch's OS functions but it's probably also gone. I assume they will put most of these things in a smartphone app for Switch.

Yeah, true. StreetPass and SpotPass were probably scratched because they probably didn't want to tax sleep mode like they did with 3DS. Having a system like 3DS actively connecting with Wi-Fi and other people's 3DS via SpotPass and StreetPass probably took a toll on its battery.

A smartphone version of Streetpass would be the greatest thing ever. Nintendo needs Streetpass, Badge Arcade, and things like Swapdoodle on mobile ASAP. I'm honestly for Nintendo keeping the Switch OS as straight-forward as possible. While it will alienate some, choosing a smart device as a companion is pretty smart. It's the one thing that the vast majority of people are likely to have already.

Jeels

Man Mario Kart looks so good on the screen.

I keep doing that thing where I keep forgetting this is a pretty nifty handheld regardless of all the other extra bits.

Played it at PAX, it is absolutely gorgeous at 60FPS on the Switch screen. I have no qualms about the screen at all, at least from the time I got with it.

question to those who have used the joy cons and switch pro controller, are the analogs sticks the same and are they the same as the wiiu pro analog sticks?

No. They're not announcing specs since the Wii because they know it's weak sauce and pointless to mention and would make them look inferior. You mention your strengths and cover your weaknesses. It's as simple as that.
Alternatively, Nintendo could judo flip the messaging around. They could say the Switch is a handheld the size of a VHS tape, with 50% of the power (docked) of a XB1, which the size of a VCR, and 1/3 the power of a base PS4. So they could say those consoles are weak for their form factor.

It won't hold up to scrutiny, but it only needs to work on casual consumers on a surface level.

It makes no sense though. They announced the RAM and storage for Wii u like 3 months before release. I'm thinking it will be 4GB as rumored. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Maybe it's because the Wii U had far more RAM than its competitors at the time and the Switch won't? I don't see any reason they HAVE to release the RAM specs.

Top Bottom