• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Nintendo Switch hardware overview

Will the switch take advantage of read speeds of sdxc cards? I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. If the difference between sdxc and whatever card comes below it is just a few seconds of loading in game, don't know I will give a fudge

On that note, any good deals out there on high storage cards?

if its like the 3ds, you'll probably want a card that is atleast 70MB/s read speed, i had a 40MB/s card in my n3ds once and it had issues running digital games,

also sdhc and sdxc have the same speeds

Thanks to you both.

I have to now weigh my decision to go digital against having a GCU and Amazon membership which each offer 20% off games.

siiiiigh.

I might have missed, but...

Since I didn't see any metal contacts of either of the joycon rails, it seems these joycons will be on constant wireless connection to the tablet portion, even when docked/attached. Correct? :/

I'm assuming battery life is impacted by this as well...
They can charge them docked so I imagine there's something

antibolo

Banned
I already mentioned this in another thread but I SURE AS HELL hope that the headphone port won't be disabled while the system is running in TV mode. If it does then it's going to be a total pain for me to play with headphones on my current living room setup.

Considering how expensive the Pro controller is, it would've been nice of them to put a headphone port on it, ffs...

vgamer1

My idea is that the Switch will be a little bit like an iPad/3DS that it's always on, but enters on sleep mode quickly. You would only need to press any button from the Joy-Cons or Pro controller to wake up the system. The Power button on the system would be used only to turn it off for a good amount of time/restart it when necessary but otherwise will be always on, again like the iPad or the 3DS, not sure if that makes sense...

That seems like a bad idea for a portable console that isn't clamshell design.

I already mentioned this in another thread but I SURE AS HELL hope that the headphone port won't be disabled while the system is running in TV mode. If it does then it's going to be a total pain for me to play with headphones on my current living room setup.
Hmm...haven't thought of that. Would be pretty great seeing as the controllers lack that feature. It's not likely, though. I imagine everything would be sent through the HDMI.

antibolo

Banned
Hmm...haven't thought of that. Would be pretty great seeing as the controllers lack that feature. It's not likely, though. I imagine everything would be sent through the HDMI.

What gives me hope is that the port is on top of the console, meaning it won't be obstructed while the console is docked.

But of course that doesn't confirm anything. That port may still get switched off whenever a HDMI signal is established.

Malus

Considering how expensive the Pro controller is, it would've been nice of them to put a headphone port on it, ffs...

Still putting my faith in these impressions: https://gameusagi.com/2017/01/nintendo-switch-preview-tour-toronto-photo-gallery-info/

"You can indeed use the headphone port when the system is docked, I played Zelda like this and it worked just fine"

Astral Dog

Does it make sense to you that a console that is 40-50% as powerful as xbone has half the RAM? It doesn't to me.
It does to me,no point in having 8 GB of RAM if the system is 1.5 Wíi U in handheld mode (wich gsmes are designed around) . Thats not only double the memory from Wii U but at least TRIPLE for games.

And i was wanting 6 before knowing more of the specs

MDave

AWESOME!

Thanks for the heads-up, that's one major worry off my shoulders now.

My Senheiser HD598SE headphones came with a long-ass high quality cable, so I should be already good.

I don't get the worry for this. Even if the Switch headphone jack didn't work when docked, you could plug in to the headphone jack on the TV?

antibolo

Banned
I don't get the worry for this. Even if the Switch headphone jack didn't work when docked, you could plug in to the headphone jack on the TV?

All HDMI devices in my living room go through my 5.1 amp for sound, which unfortunately doesn't have a headphone port, annoyingly enough.

Furthermore not all TVs have headphone ports either, you know. Not sure why you're assuming they all do?

sugarless

All HDMI devices in my living room go through my 5.1 amp for sound, which unfortunately doesn't have a headphone port, annoyingly enough.

Furthermore not all TVs have headphone ports either, you know. Not sure why you're assuming they all do?

The first time you hear of newer TVs sometimes not having headphone ports, it's quite a shock. I know I found it hard to believe.

MDave

Ah sorry, I've not come across a TV without a headphone jack before, even one of my cheap supermarket brand TV's. I'm lucky enough to have a headphone jack on my 5.1 surround sound system too.

I wouldn't of taken a risk with Nintendo in terms of A/V equipment handling though, Wii had composite bundled for it's entire shelf life :p

Great they didn't disable the headphone jack in docked mode though, another option for those with no other options!

Ah sorry, I've not come across a TV without a headphone jack before, even one of my cheap supermarket brand TV's. I'm lucky enough to have a headphone jack on my 5.1 surround sound system too.

I wouldn't of taken a risk with Nintendo in terms of A/V equipment handling though, Wii had composite bundled for it's entire shelf life :p

Great they didn't disable the headphone jack in docked mode though, another option for those with no other options!

didnt both the 360 and ps3 switch to including the composite cable overthe component cable soon after launch?

infact i think the wiiu was the first system to actually include a hdmi cable in the bxo

MDave

didnt both the 360 and ps3 switch to including the composite cable overthe component cable soon after launch?

infact i think the wiiu was the first system to actually include a hdmi cable in the bxo

PS3 Slim came with a HDMI cable which was 2009 ;) but those consoles had more options out of the box for AV anyway, like the 360 with its VGA output support hah. Historically Nintendo have offered the fewest options for audio and video equipment support.

Nowadays its not that important, all consoles pretty much only offer HDMI for video output, just Nintendo don't and probably won't support optical audio out. So its best to make sure the TV / Audio receiver can output the audio how you want and not rely on consoles for that. Plus, you keep everything plugged into the TV and don't need a switcher or swap the optical cable between consoles if you make the TV handle all that. And then from there, the audio system at least as a headphone jack so anything you play through the TV goes through that.

Any content you watch on the TV then has audio going to the sound system you have, and you only need to plug in headphones or take them out from just one place (audio system ideally) for your entire setup for any console you use, old or new.

Dystify

There's shots from the GameXplain video, but here's a high quality shot of the devkit Nintendo Switch.
C3iuKxLWYAMKNIm.jpg

(Via Ash Paulsen)

There's shots from the GameXplain video, but here's a high quality shot of the devkit Nintendo Switch.
C3iuKxLWYAMKNIm.jpg

(Via Ash Paulsen)
Not sure why, but I don't like the black joy cons.
I thought grey and black was a weird combination, but I see why they chose that.
Seems cheaper somehow

ika

That seems like a bad idea for a portable console that isn't clamshell design.

Not really. Just like my smartphone, the power button can act as a sleep/wake button when the Joy-Cons are attached and the system out of the Dock. When the Joy-Cons are unattached/on the grip or the system is docked with a Pro controller paired, you just need to press the Home button to sleep/wake the console. To turn it off, press the power button three seconds if undocked, docked we'll maybe have a menu option.

Easy, quick, like your other devices.

PS3 Slim came with a HDMI cable which was 2009 ;) but those consoles had more options out of the box for AV anyway, like the 360 with its VGA output support hah. Historically Nintendo have offered the fewest options for audio and video equipment support.

Nowadays its not that important, all consoles pretty much only offer HDMI for video output, just Nintendo don't and probably won't support optical audio out. So its best to make sure the TV / Audio receiver can output the audio how you want and not rely on consoles for that. Plus, you keep everything plugged into the TV and don't need a switcher or swap the optical cable between consoles if you make the TV handle all that. And then from there, the audio system at least as a headphone jack so anything you play through the TV goes through that.

Any content you watch on the TV then has audio going to the sound system you have, and you only need to plug in headphones or take them out from just one place (audio system ideally) for your entire setup for any console you use, old or new.

i got a ps3 slim, and it did not come with a hdmi cable in the box

Not really. Just like my smartphone, the power button can act as a sleep/wake button when the Joy-Cons are attached and the system out of the Dock. When the Joy-Cons are unattached/on the grip or the system is docked with a Pro controller paired, you just need to press the Home button to sleep/wake the console. To turn it off, press the power button three seconds if undocked, docked we'll maybe have a menu option.

Easy, quick, like your other devices.
Home button, maybe. In your earlier post you said any button, though, which would definitely result in lots of unintended awakenings.

I thought grey and black was a weird combination, but I see why they chose that.
Seems cheaper somehow

the arrows on the left joycon should be white at least, as well as the home on the right joycon. They did it with the letters for x,b,y,a. Also look at wii u pad's coloring as well.

ika

Home button, maybe. In your earlier post you said any button, though, which would definitely result in lots of unintended awakenings.

Yeah but that is a bit irrelevant. If the Joy-Con is detached and on your table its ok to wake the system with any button. Easy and quick. When attached, you use the home button or maybe only the power button so it doesn't wake accidentally in your bag. Those were just examples of how it can work without an actual power button on the controllers.

Sorry for the bad explanation earlier ;) I'm not very good writing in English...

Cynn

Seems cheaper somehow
I'm the opposite. I'd much rather have the black joycons for a more sleek look.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Just overall best if there is one.
If not, best in performance.
These are the overall best micoSDXC cards currently on the market:
  • Samsung 256GB EVO Plus UHS-I U3 Class 10 - 95MB/s
  • Sandisk 256GB Ultra Class 10 - 95MB/s
You can also check
  • Kingston 256GB 45MB/s UHS-1 Class 10
..Though I'm not that fond of kingston lately.

Just overall best if there is one.
If not, best in performance.

Ah ok, I was hoping to get one early much like the FireCuda HDD everyone was ordering for the Pro before it launched.

There's no point buying a card early, just wait til you fill your fridge first, whether that takes you 6 weeks or 6 months you can guarantee the cards will be cheaper than they are today

These are the overall best micoSDXC cards currently on the market:
  • Samsung 256GB EVO Plus UHS-I U3 Class 10 - 95MB/s
  • Sandisk 256GB Ultra Class 10 - 95MB/s
You can also check
  • Kingston 256GB 45MB/s UHS-1 Class 10
..Though I'm not that fond of kingston lately.

Cheers!

There's no point buying a card early, just wait til you fill your fridge first, whether that takes you 6 weeks or 6 months you can guarantee the cards will be cheaper than they are today

And thats a good point, never thought about it like that.

antibolo

Banned

Yeah, this.

Personally I don't expect to fill up that 32GB until at the very least a few months in. It's not like there are any big AAA games coming (if ever), and I buy retail for the 20% Amazon discount.

One thing I don't think I've heard about is, are we able to power on the system with the pro controller? I plan to use it almost exclusively when playing at home.

One thing I don't think I've heard about is, are we able to power on the system with the pro controller? I plan to use it almost exclusively when playing at home.

wouldn't be surprised if you just press the home button on the pro controller to turn on the system from standby mode.

While nothing is confirmed Nintendo consoles have powered on through controllers for over a decade so I can't see them changing that now, presumably they have just eliminated the separate power button so will just use the home button

Top Bottom